Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Kawabata posted:

This is not new but marketing the Switch as a premium handheld that can also double as an acceptable home console would've been a great start.

I'm not sure how effectively different that is from what they're doing, but I will acquiesce to the fact that smarter people than me at Digital Foundry have commented on this as well.

As for eSports, they have shown an interest in making Splatoon more of an eSports title, and there's already been efforts made in that regard. They've also been leaning on rolling out updates for their games more and more in recent years. I expect that will continue on the Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

katkillad2 posted:

I'm probably looking forward to this more than Xenoblade 2... just because XCX made me lose faith in the series completely and am extremely pessimistic on how Xenoblade 2 looks aside from the soundtrack that will undoubtedly be amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Cz5IQ5bIg

Dat art style :swoon:

I like it

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Bleck posted:

Street Fighter 2 came out twenty-six years ago.

Street Fighter 2 HD Remix, which Ultra SF2 is based off of, came out nine years ago.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Policenaut posted:

Street Fighter 2 HD Remix, which Ultra SF2 is based off of, came out nine years ago.

...and that game cost 15 dollars when it launched.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
They're clearly adjusting for inflation

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The game seems to have a first person mode in it using 3D graphics.

Not saying that's worth it, but that's probably why it's 40.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/petermooreEA/status/820042981793071107

So Switch's FIFA is "custom built" instead of being a quick 360/PS3 port. The question is: Can you trust EA's word?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

TFRazorsaw posted:

The game seems to have a first person mode in it using 3D graphics.

Not saying that's worth it, but that's probably why it's 40.

They just stole that from the Street Fighter IV on the 3DS.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Policenaut posted:

They aren't using the music from HD Remix, and word is that it's unlikely to have any of the balance changes from it, either.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

there's some pretty significant balance and mechanics differences I've heard, yeah

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

there's some pretty significant balance and mechanics differences I've heard, yeah

Yeah.

They are making it lame boring slow poo poo.

And they are going to charge 40 dollars for it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Like I said, I'm not saying any of these things are necessarily worth it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Policenaut posted:

From people who played it I've heard it plays much more closely to the original SF2Turbo than to HD Remix.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I will buy USF2

When it hits like $15

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

greatn posted:

From people who played it I've heard it plays much more closely to the original SF2Turbo than to HD Remix.

lmbo no

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Now that I've seen gameplay videos I am going to get the new Zelda too!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

VideoGames posted:

Now that I've seen gameplay videos I am going to get the new Zelda too!

How do you feel about the other titles they've announced? Are you gonna ink it up?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

The Street Fighter thing looks like something that Capcom tried to sell exclusively to either MS or Sony but they passed because it's pointless and will sell about 10 copies but Nintendo swooped right in to pick it up to bulk up their nonexistent Switch line up.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Dr Cheeto posted:

How do you feel about the other titles they've announced? Are you gonna ink it up?

Heck yes! I loved Splatoon on my WiiU. I am really feeling the Switch. I know a lot of other people aren't and they might be way more correct than me, but I don't mind.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

spudsbuckley posted:

The Street Fighter thing looks like something that Capcom tried to sell exclusively to either MS or Sony but they passed because it's pointless and will sell about 10 copies but Nintendo swooped right in to pick it up to bulk up their nonexistent Switch line up.

i guess you should be angry about this

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Super Bomberman R apparently exists because of Nintendo. They even got them to hire back former Hudsonsoft staff.

I feel a bit better about supporting it now.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

lol at all the people complaining about lack of external HDD support
:siren: Switch will support up to 2Tb Micro SDXC cards :siren:

Missed out on this earlier, so I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Games I'm 100% buying from the announced 2017 lineup.
- Zelda (Already preordered)
- Bomberman (Already preordered)

- Splatoon 2
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Super Mario Odyssey
- Snipperclips
- Sonic Mania
- Binding of Isaac

Games I'm interested in buying, but would very much like to see more information/read reviews/play a demo of first
- Has Been Heroes
- ARMS
- Skyrim (Could be awesome, but could be a lovely port with tacted on features ala Batman Arkham Origins for the WiiU)

Games I'll probably pickup once they hit the bargain bin
- 1 2 Switch (If it's anything like Nintendoland, they'll sell for like $5 eventually)

I think I'll be very very comfortable with Zelda alone for quite some time tho.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

Super Bomberman R apparently exists because of Nintendo. They even got them to hire back former Hudsonsoft staff.

I feel a bit better about supporting it now.

I am hype hype hype for the return of some old skool Bomberman goodness.

Hoping it has online play and we can organise a goon tourney

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Infinitum posted:

- Splatoon 2
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Super Mario Odyssey
- Snipperclips
- Sonic Mania
- Binding of Isaac

Games I'm interested in buying, but would very much like to see more information/read reviews/play a demo of first
- Has Been Heroes
- ARMS
- Skyrim (Could be awesome, but could be a lovely port with tacted on features ala Batman Arkham Origins for the WiiU)

- 1 2 Switch (If it's anything like Nintendoland, they'll sell for like $5 eventually)

I'll grab Zelda, Mario Kart and Odyssey and maaaaaaybe 12 Switch and ARMS once they get hefty discounts. Honestly if this just winds up being a first party Nintendo game/VC device I'll be reasonably happy.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

WHere is Metroid..no..I should be asking, where is Samus?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Infinitum posted:

- Splatoon 2
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Super Mario Odyssey
- Snipperclips
- Sonic Mania
- Binding of Isaac

- Has Been Heroes
- ARMS

Isn't a 2TB microSDXC like $599 US dollars?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm going to buy ARMS immediately and be the ARMS world champion. I'll see you all at Evo 2017 for the finals.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

a.lo posted:

WHere is Metroid..no..I should be asking, where is Samus?

Potentially in the pipeline

greatn posted:

You don't need to rush out an buy the biggest SD card just because you can mate.

Eventually that price point will come down, it's just good to know that when it does the Switch will support extra large sizes.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Kawabata posted:

I completely agree but you can do both, see From Software.

They don't do both. In fact I mentioned that in a previous post. Dark Souls III and Bloodbourne may look pretty, but 95% of the entire game could have been done on the PS2 if they rolled back the textures and geometry. The only things that couldn't be done is the (terrible) horde boss in Dark Souls III, MAYBE the giant tree boss, and...actually I can't think of anything from Bloodbourne. Maybe the underwater spider would have less spiders? Still, all of this could have easily been done in a Source Engine era game.

EDIT - To clarify I'm not saying more power can't lead to improve core gameplay (e.g. Star Citizen) but the list of genres it will improve is getting shorter and shorter.

Platformers haven't had the benefit in increased power in decades. Fighting games peaked with the Sega Saturn + RAM expansion for 2D titles, while the Naomi wrapped up 3D fighters and 3v3. Sports games were pretty much finished during the Xbox era. JRPGs were finished 2D wise during the Playstation and 3D wise during the PS2/Gamecube era.

Only sandbox games and other acute genres seem to benefit from more power.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 15, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

greatn posted:

they're not even widely available. However, they're gonna come to the market before long and price points are gonna drop as they become more commonplace. It's good that Nintendo prepared for that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What would be the most reasonable price & size of MicroSDXC to get at this point?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

TFRazorsaw posted:

I wouldn't say westerners are any better at updating gameplay in any meaningful fashion either. Not when Ubisoft has been making the same drat open world game over and over again.

Seriously, though, Inafune's a fount of sketchy opinions. He thinks the way lower ranking employees in western studios are treated like poo poo motivates them to succeed and take risks, which is, honestly, pretty horrifying. Japanese corporate culture is just as bad in different ways, but Inafune embraced something equally messed up.

The West at least backs up the repetition with good graphics. Japanese devs typically don't as a cost cutting measure, and it's been biting every single one of them in the rear end.

Looks sell, and Japanese sales numbers back that up.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 15, 2017

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Junkie Disease posted:

Dragon Quest heros 1*2 looks like lazy lazy poo poo. My hopes for FE Heros are dashed.

What's lazy about it?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

greatn posted:

What would be the most reasonable price & size of MicroSDXC to get at this point?

512Gb is probably a good starting point.

You'll be getting the best price, from a reputable manufacturer, with very little long term issues.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

greatn posted:

Amazon.com currently has a sale on a 128GB for 45 dollars, 256GB for 90, and 512GB for 200.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Mister Macys posted:

The West at least backs up the repetition with good graphics. Japanese devs typically don't as a cost cutting measure, and it's been biting every single one of them in the rear end.

How so? What Japanese titles would you say sold worse due to the lack of advanced graphics?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Mister Macys posted:

It's not helping westerners as much as you think, especially when game budgets are swelling to impractical size and affecting profit margins. Honestly, chasing higher quality visuals strikes me as more and more a case of diminishing returns.

A game shouldn't look as awful as Star Fox Zero, mind you, but. There's a thing to be said for opulence being more trouble than it's worth. You can't say that Souls or Bloodborne holding back on visuals has necessarily hurt them, can you?

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

greatn posted:

64Gb seems to be the best for the price on Amazon (UK) at the moment. Presumably having multiple cards isn't an issue, so half a dozen smaller ones might be better than a single large one. Actually seems like a very reasonable way of managing extra storage.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

TaurusOxford posted:

Amazon.com currently has a sale on a 128GB for 45 dollars, 256GB for 90, and 512GB for 200.

Where are you seeing this? Was seeing 256GB microsdxc's for like $120 at the cheapest last I looked and they got awful ratings because they were no-name brands that died within 3 months for most people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah if you see a good 256 GB for $90 I'd gladly buy.

• Locked thread