Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
lmao. Well I do agree, this is hilarious

Anyway you can't both defund education and want more money for education. I mean, I thought you couldn't, but here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The English word for "tax" is "tax" which is the same stem as "tact" and "tactile" and so by that logic otakus (who have no tact and will never touch another human) should be tax-exempt. Woop woop woop.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I've seen a lot of dumb poo poo in my years, but an argument from etymology is actually kinda novel in its idiocy so I can't bash it too hard.

Friendly Humour posted:

What the gently caress is STEM

It's what people who study economics really desperately want to be part of.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Friendly Humour posted:

lmao. Well I do agree, this is hilarious

Anyway you can't both defund education and want more money for education. I mean, I thought you couldn't, but here we are.

yeah, it kinda fits the reduce spending to grow the economy mindset some people have

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Goa Tse-tung posted:

yeah, it kinda fits the reduce spending to grow the economy mindset some people have

Hey look the starnerds told me the universe will one day expand so big it'll collapse in on itself so clearly if we shrink budgets small enough they'll spontaneously explode into giant ones.

Why no I never did well in Physics how could you tell.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Friendly Humour posted:

What the gently caress is STEM

An acronym designed by techbros and wisdomless science-husks that paved the way for the death of western culture.

Tesseraction posted:

Hey look the starnerds told me the universe will one day expand so big it'll collapse in on itself so clearly if we shrink budgets small enough they'll spontaneously explode into giant ones.

That outlook was way too optimistic because something could come from that big crunch. So now the latest theory is everything will expand forever until even protons are ripped apart and we reach the heat death of the universe. This is much more pleasing to the science-ghoul because it is miserable and without beauty.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 13, 2017

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

That outlook was way too optimistic because something could come from that big crunch. So now the latest theory is everything will expand forever until even protons are ripped apart and we reach the heat death of the universe. This is much more pleasing to the science-ghoul because it is miserable and without beauty.

Well our budget is right hosed then innit.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

An acronym designed by techbros and wisdomless science-husks that paved the way for the death of western culture.

If you don't find 'spacetime itself conspiring to rip the very fabric of matter apart' a beautiful and inspiring concept after 2016, I don't know what to tell you.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It's weird that people keep arguing whether tuition fees benefit the middle class when there is no such thing as the middle class. :confused:

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

DarkCrawler posted:

See, now when you are actually giving a straight answer we get just how butt-gently caress insane your position is!

Yes, we are both arguing who should pay for it, you moron. You are saying "The poor and middle class students need to pay for it by taking debt in the chance that they will get a better job while rich students get to be debt-free 'cause pappa betalar." I am saying "Education should be paid through a common tax system so the poor will get the exact same benefit and opportunity as the rich and middle class students - no student debt."
Seriously I can't believe how many times I need to repeat "opportunity cost". I want the middle classes and the rich to pay. Even if the poor pay for their own (under most loan systems, they don't) they will be huge net beneficiaries as a result of increased spending. It's like you keep dodging the fact that the vast vast vast majority of students are not poor with "there are still some poor students" and "well actually poor people like tuition fees :downs:" (they also like Trump and Brexit)

quote:

Your position is supported by zero poor people. This was demonstrated through the multiple links I posted which you have ignored.
And this is such a loving retarded argument as well. I don't know where to start. With the fact that the public just voted (with poor people leading the way) for Donald Trump and Brexit? Or with the fact that it's never presented as "would you like tuition fees and more spending on you" as opposed to just "tuition fees?" Or the fact that the public are overwhelmingly wrong about any economic argument that requires the slightest bit of thinking about unintended consequences (maternity leave, minimum wages, unionization)?

quote:

In relative terms, absolutely. Middle classes are not the only ones who don't have the same inherent advantages as the rich, the poor don't either. Your idiotic plan would leave them even more shafted then the middle class.
Now you're just obtusely avoiding the main point that shifting higher educational spending (which mainly benefits rich and middle class people as they are the vast majority of university graduates) to welfare spending (mainly for the poor) benefits poor people. Tuition fees are a net benefit for poor people if the spending is shifted to them.

quote:

Doesn't matter, they are fees. They will leave poorer students worse off then the middle class students who will be worse off then the rich students who will not be bad off in any way or form. I like equality and fairness. You don't, you want the burden to fall disproportionately on anyone except the rich.
http://www.bbc.com/news/education-36150276
https://www.ft.com/content/55f4a6f6-3eab-11e6-9f2c-36b487ebd80a
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/university-students-in-england-face-higher-debts-than-american-grads_uk_5720c7c7e4b06bf544e11400
http://www.if.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Squeezing-our-students_-An-English-OECD-Comparison.pdf
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/oct/27/debt-burden-scotlands-poorest-university-students-record-high
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/oct/01/student-loans-increasing-rich-poor-divide
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/goodbye-student-grants-tories-are-making-sure-university-reserved-rich-1573678

Please explain to me how this is a superior system, for the poor specifically, to what we have on Finland, and how the government is supposed to save on it. Because the taxpayers still pay more in UK too.
Repeating myself for the millionth time:
Changing the method of payment does not affect the cost
So UK students have the most debt? So what? The debt is manageable for 99% of them. Graduates earning less than 21000 do not repay any debt. No one repays more than 9% of income.

quote:

Average doesn't matter. I already explained to you that the way real world works is that some will be below average and some will be above average. Thus some will have a worse financial situation then the others. Thus they will be more burdened by a debt system. This is the literal opposite of equality.
Of course average matters. The government shouldn't fund yacht clubs or subsidize corporate investment because most of the beneficiaries are rich. Just because some poor people benefit doesn't mean that all of a sudden it comes out to neutral. You look at the average and you try to target the poor because they need it more.

And stop with this "some are poor" stuff. When it comes to graduates, very few are poor. This is just a fact, stop trying to weasel around it by continually mentioning access to education for poor people (which you yourself admit won't be affected). University education correlates extremely strongly with income. Most loan based systems allow the poor to avoid paying (either all, or some of the debt). Poor people do not benefit at all from a tax based system at all. In terms of education, it's neutral. In terms of other social spending, they can now receive more that the government has freed up funds.

quote:

For what must be the tenth time, access to education is irrelevant to the argument here. We are talking about the financial situation of the students during and after their education.
Aka middle class tears.

quote:

Oh that's cool I guess all the dozens of links I have posted about the perspective of poor people who are facing a debt-based system on both of the countries (US/UK) that you hold as exemplars, is crying.
It is crying. Actual poor people in the UK do not pay back any of their debt. For incomes under 21000, there IS NO REPAYMENT. Your concerns are 100% middle class whining about not being rich.

quote:

That's why it makes a great place to spend our tax money on.
Or you could spend the tax money on things which the private sector won't voluntarily invest in, such as hospitals or green energy or welfare and leave the middle classes to pay for themselves especially as society will still benefit to the same degree as even you accept that access to education is unaffected.

quote:

Because education, including higher education, is a right, not an investment. Sorry, but this is the prevailing opinion in both Finland and among poor people. Again, something demonstrated multiple times by multiple sources.
Paying for something does not make it any less of a "right". As you've admitted, tuition fees backed by loans do not make higher education inaccessible.

quote:

Doesn't matter. If there are poor students, there are poor students.
Yeah, and some poor people like yachting... Well this is running into repetition. You think a policy that is 95% a subsidy for the middle class and diverts funding from the poor is somehow justifiable because a few poor people will use it (even though it's a net negative for them because of opportunity cost, which you keep ignoring)

quote:

Again, as demonstrated, the government will have to spend the same or more money just to get the poor and middle classes up there with the rich, so this is just a straight up lie or you are imagining a fantasy system that does not exist in reality.

quote:

Wow, I wonder why the government ends up losing even more taxpayer money in these sorts of systems. And as we all know, poor people don't pay taxes in these countries in the slightest, right?
lol
Poor people paying taxes makes this even better.
Poor people (less educated than wealthy people) pay taxes to fund education for (mainly) wealthy people.
Great way to make your point.

Also for the last time, changing the composition of who pays does not affect total cost. Thinking it does is just pure retardation. You want to know why education costs more in the US/UK? Maybe it's because their top universities are better than ours. Maybe it's because of relative differences in price levels/salaries. Maybe it's because their universities are more focused on different areas (which might have higher costs)? Who the gently caress knows? What's the link here between method of payment and cost, other than pure correlation (which I haven't even bothered to verify)? Does it matter that the ivy league universities in total spend twice as much money per year as Finnish research universities?

quote:

No, I think education is an universal right to everyone regardless of how much money their parents have. You think it is an investment where the poor and middle classes have to accept far more risk then those with wealthy parents.
Life is loving unfair sometimes. Removing tuition fees might decrease the risk of education, but it's money directly away from something else. Money that could be spent on poor people in a more direct way.

The bottom line, and I'm going stop respond in such detail from now on, is that you want to remove (mainly) middle class risk because you think it's unfair. I think it's unfair that we are spending money to remove (minimal) risk from the middle classes instead of spending that money directly on the poor. I also think that current student loan systems are very good at removing risk (see: capped repayments, poor people do not repay at all).

Finally, it's worth noting that the same risks exist everywhere. Entrepreneurship? Poor people have less access to resources. Do we want to give every entrepreneur a (huge, because the education subsidy in Finland is worth about e100k per person) grant because rich people are better off than the poor?

There are much much better ways to help the poor than by directing a subsidy to a minority of them.

Again, give me one link or account from a poor person who supports your system over mine. You get how pathetic and impotent is that after repeated requests and mountains of text you are still completely incapable of doing that?

quote:

Tuition fees as explained many times are lovely for reasons unrelated to the structure of universities so I don't know what you are even talking about.
Then why do you keep saying that tuition fees will increase the cost of education? They won't. They just mean your middle class rear end will have to come to terms with reality that there are some people better off than you. Stop :qq:ing about it. Freeing up that money so it can be spent on people who actually need it is much better.

Your "unfairness" argument is pathetic. Oh you poor thing, you're not from a rich family. Guess what? There are 6.5 billion people in the world who are worse off than you. We have limited resources. Education is largely a very positive thing (both personally and financially and socially) for people that carries quite a minor risk (especially if loans are designed properly). Charging people doesn't seem to deter people much. Your concern is that you won't be able to get a mortgage at 30 if you had to take on education debt. I think it's completely unfair that society chooses to prioritize that concern over many others. I see your concern as middle class whining.

Finally, another Economist article:

http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21645241-cutting-tuition-fees-labours-least-progressive-idea-class-war

quote:

The system that has emerged from more than a decade of rows over fees is complex but progressive—that is, it redistributes from rich to poor. Graduates in England can borrow from the government to pay for fees and living costs, but must only repay 9% of their earnings over £21,000 (much as if they were paying an additional income tax). In 2012—amid noisy student protests—the government raised the cap on fees from £3,300 to £9,000. It also boosted the repayment threshold—from £15,000—bringing down graduates’ monthly bills. The change was costly for students on average, but also made the system much more redistributive. Debts are written off after 30 years, so whereas poor graduates benefit from lower monthly payments, they do not end up paying the higher fee. As a result, the true cost of university depends more on lifetime earnings than on the fee (which explains why even some obscure universities set prices high). Lower fees would help only the successful; low earners would simply have less debt written off. By one estimate, Mr Miliband’s policy will benefit only those with a starting salary of at least £35,000 followed by lots of pay rises.

Tesseraction posted:

Dumb economists don't know much about the economics of education or opportunity costs :smug:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Please stop making posts that make my eyes bleed just looking at them. Please format your posts in a readable manner. Please...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Seriously I can't believe how many times I need to repeat "opportunity cost". I want the middle classes and the rich to pay.

Yep. Make them pay through taxes; once they're making money. Don't use tuition as a form of preemptive tax on the principle of "they're probably going to earn a lot of money thanks to the diploma they'll probably get, so let's make them pay right now instead of later" because that's completely loving stupid.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

"But what if their families are alread-" Yes, wealth taxes too.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I can't wait to work in the forced labour STEM camps of the future.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cat Mattress posted:

Yep. Make them pay through taxes; once they're making money. Don't use tuition as a form of preemptive tax on the principle of "they're probably going to earn a lot of money thanks to the diploma they'll probably get, so let's make them pay right now instead of later" because that's completely loving stupid.

They will/do pay taxes. Do you want those taxes to be spent on the future middle class or on the poor?

"But the rich pay more taxes" . It's funny how that all of a sudden becomes a valid argument for education and you can completely ignore the distributional effects on the spending side, but if we were to talk about government-run yacht clubs, corporate subsidies, or something similar it would be unacceptable. Then you make some argument about how education has social benefits (it does) like corporate investment doesn't or that these benefits couldn't be realized without government spending.

I wonder how much is down to the "middle class student/recent graduate" status of most people in this thread.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Geriatric Pirate posted:

I wonder how much is down to the "middle class student/recent graduate" status of most people in this thread.
You just dropped a "you will understand when you are old". With your username. Priceless.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dawncloack posted:

You just dropped a "you will understand when you are old". With your username. Priceless.

It was meant to be "FYGM" not "you young ones just don't get it"

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Geriatric Pirate posted:

They will/do pay taxes. Do you want those taxes to be spent on the future middle class or on the poor?

"But the rich pay more taxes" . It's funny how that all of a sudden becomes a valid argument for education and you can completely ignore the distributional effects on the spending side, but if we were to talk about government-run yacht clubs, corporate subsidies, or something similar it would be unacceptable. Then you make some argument about how education has social benefits (it does) like corporate investment doesn't or that these benefits couldn't be realized without government spending.

The point is that the "market" in terms of people paying for their own education doesn't capture the social benefits adequately (because they can only consider the personal benefit in that equation).

To put it more simply for you; the educational spending you're deriding as having bad "distributional effects" for poor people is exactly the spending that educated the midwife that helped bring them in to this world. The social workers that ensure children don't disappear off the radar. The teachers that provided their basic education. The nurses and doctors that treat them when they're sick or injured.

Yacht clubs don't provide a social benefit. Employing people to make/run/work on toys for the rich has a negative externality in terms of wasted labour that could be contributing to the social good.

You have a bizarre weird view on government spending as a closed system as opposed to the economy as a whole. Government is just a part of the social and economic system. Opportunity cost is a social decision driven by politics.

loving hell you're an idiot and you should gently caress off to a libertarian paradise where there must be no poor because the markets have solved all the problems.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geriatric Pirate posted:

gently caress you and gently caress off.

I inherited a paperweight from my grandfather. Inside it was a red feather, and the words "tunne vastuu isänmaastasi". Know the responsibility for your fatherland.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Friendly Humour posted:

gently caress you and gently caress off.

I inherited a paperweight from my grandfather. Inside it was a red feather, and the words "tunne vastuu isänmaastasi". Know the responsibility for your fatherland.

"Make Finland Great For-once"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

How likely is the AfD likely to win

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's made of hard plastic and it's got REALLY sharp edges.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Geriatric Pirate posted:

You are incredibly dense.

In the real world, it is actually possible for a state to fund more than one thing at a time. I know, I know, this contradicts that Holy Austerity Dogma that says that states should fund exactly zero things, but yeah, reality doesn't work like Austerians believe it does.

Just stop trying to push the false and stupid idea that ensuring free (or at least, cheap) education means that the poor will have to starve. That's not true, and never will be. More importantly, making higher education accessible is how you can give the poor some upward social mobility. Unless you have some conservationist view of poverty and want paupers to remain paupers forever and ever, like they're an endangered species and it's important to prevent them from mutating into the middle class.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

LeoMarr posted:

How likely is the AfD likely to win

Very unlikely. They've been hovering around 10-15% for ages and don't seem to be able get much more than that. Also you need to a coalition to govern in Germany and no old party wants to touch the poop, at least in the next few years.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lord of the Llamas posted:

The point is that the "market" in terms of people paying for their own education doesn't capture the social benefits adequately (because they can only consider the personal benefit in that equation).

To put it more simply for you; the educational spending you're deriding as having bad "distributional effects" for poor people is exactly the spending that educated the midwife that helped bring them in to this world. The social workers that ensure children don't disappear off the radar. The teachers that provided their basic education. The nurses and doctors that treat them when they're sick or injured.
I've addressed this in almost every post I've made. The only person who seems to have even acknowledged it is DarkCrawler. For the millionth time: Tuition fees don't make nurses disappear. They don't make teachers disappear. I don't know how many times I need to repeat it. Look around the world. I didn't realize that the UK, Canada and US were no longer educating nurses. Nor did I realize that Finland, where education is "free", was educating enough nurses. If a over half of US high school graduates are willing to pay for their education, I'm not too worried about this.

quote:

Yacht clubs don't provide a social benefit. Employing people to make/run/work on toys for the rich has a negative externality in terms of wasted labour that could be contributing to the social good.
Ok, what about corporate investment? Personal investments, such as repairing your house? Should all of these be "free" as well? Both of them have a positive effect on society at large. Why should private individuals bear the costs for these but not education?

Here's a thought experiment for you: Try replacing "education" in your arguments with "investment by entrepreneurs" and try to tell me why the two are different. If it comes down to some sort of values argument or education being a right, just admit that your argument isn't logical and is driven by your own personal preference. Which in turn are probably shaped by your own upbringing and current status as a middle class student or former student.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cat Mattress posted:

You are incredibly dense.

In the real world, it is actually possible for a state to fund more than one thing at a time. I know, I know, this contradicts that Holy Austerity Dogma that says that states should fund exactly zero things, but yeah, reality doesn't work like Austerians believe it does.

Just stop trying to push the false and stupid idea that ensuring free (or at least, cheap) education means that the poor will have to starve. That's not true, and never will be. More importantly, making higher education accessible is how you can give the poor some upward social mobility. Unless you have some conservationist view of poverty and want paupers to remain paupers forever and ever, like they're an endangered species and it's important to prevent them from mutating into the middle class.
It's very selfish of you to want to divert spending on welfare for middle-class people such as yourself, but that's about par for the course. I know in your imagination there are no limits on government spending, but here in the real world the government doesn't have infinite euros to spend, so every euro spent on the middle class is a euro not spent on the poor. Unless you maybe think that the poor are well off enough that we should now focus on middle class kids such as yourself?

I agree completely that accessible higher education is a gateway for the poor to get rich. Unfortunately for you, that has nothing to do with tuition fees, which are almost completely unrelated to access.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Shut the gently caress up.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Geriatric Pirate posted:

every euro spent on the middle class is a euro not spent on the poor.

Repeating lies doesn't make them true. Find me an instance of a government that had decreased funding for schools in order to increase funding for social programs; that never happened. What happens is that they cut funding for schools and for social programs at the same time, in order to give the rich a tax cut.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Geriatric Pirate posted:

I've addressed this in almost every post I've made. The only person who seems to have even acknowledged it is DarkCrawler. For the millionth time: Tuition fees don't make nurses disappear. They don't make teachers disappear. I don't know how many times I need to repeat it. Look around the world. I didn't realize that the UK, Canada and US were no longer educating nurses. Nor did I realize that Finland, where education is "free", was educating enough nurses. If a over half of US high school graduates are willing to pay for their education, I'm not too worried about this.
Ok, what about corporate investment? Personal investments, such as repairing your house? Should all of these be "free" as well? Both of them have a positive effect on society at large. Why should private individuals bear the costs for these but not education?

Here's a thought experiment for you: Try replacing "education" in your arguments with "investment by entrepreneurs" and try to tell me why the two are different. If it comes down to some sort of values argument or education being a right, just admit that your argument isn't logical and is driven by your own personal preference. Which in turn are probably shaped by your own upbringing and current status as a middle class student or former student.

LOL

You do realise, for example, there's currently a huge nursing shortage in the UK? And the changes to the education system, i.e. scrapping bursaries and charging high tuition, means that there aren't anywhere near enough training. loving hell you're ignorant of reality.

Even in the private sector; I work in a high tech infrastructure industry where we can't get enough very well educated people and the contributions people can make far outweigh what they're paid personally.

Your retarded thought experiment assumes that little/some social good is the same as a lot/essential social good.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lord of the Llamas posted:

LOL

You do realise, for example, there's currently a huge nursing shortage in the UK? And the changes to the education system, i.e. scrapping bursaries and charging high tuition, means that there aren't anywhere near enough training. loving hell you're ignorant of reality.

Even in the private sector; I work in a high tech infrastructure industry where we can't get enough very well educated people and the contributions people can make far outweigh what they're paid personally.

Your retarded thought experiment assumes that little/some social good is the same as a lot/essential social good.

In Finland (free education) we also have a shortage of nurses. Odd, they should be flocking to study nursing because there are no tuition fees. Ditto for high tech workers. Could it possibly be that those are two sectors with high demand for employment regardless?

And lol at your attempt to avoid the issue. Investment is an essential social good that provides a lot of benefits. Your job didn't pop up out of nowhere. Someone invested to set up those tech infrastructure companies. The food you eat doesn't come from the sky, some farmer invested in his farm to provide it for you. Trying to argue that investment has limited social benefits has to be the funniest way to try to avoid having to come to terms that your position is illogical. So let's try this again: Why should we subsidize your education as opposed to the investment your employer made to provide you a job? It can't be from the revenue side - in your world, rich people just pay for everything. It's probably not related to the social benefits - jobs and goods provided are arguably as or more important than your education.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Geriatric Pirate being Finnish gives so much context to his argument. He has fully internalized Finnish monetary self-flagellation and now that almost every economics professor in Scandinavia is coming out against it he's having an identity crisis.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
He's finnish? I thought Finns were cool. (Not the True Finns though).

I got a third grade joke about Finns. What do you call a Finn who plays with dolls? A dolphin

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Well he did say "In Finland (free education) we" which is one hell of a misleading sentence if he isn't at least living in Finland. :raise:

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
This thread would be vastly improved if people bothered to read redtext avatars.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So what about the Saracen invasion

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Cat Mattress posted:

So what about the Saracen invasion

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

2. For our conversation, here's the money shot:

Quick translated summary: the USA had a historical lead in productivity thanks to mass education, and France and Germany caught up by investing massively in education. Inversely, the reason why the UK is still lagging behind is because of its educational system designed to keep the vulgum pecus out of schools while the inbred aristocrat go to prestigious elite schools; and Italy lost ground thanks to the Holy Austerity that forced them to cut down on education funding to futilely try to reduce their debt.

This was an interesting read, thx for that.

I think Piketty is off target wrt this. If you measure education by looking at literacy, you mainly measure whether a population is protestant or not, at least in 1800. Scotland and (Protestant) Germany had a literacy comparable to the US around 1800 yet were much poorer. So there must be more to US productivity than education.

Perhaps having an abundance of land and other ressources compared to an overpopulated (by 1800s standards) Europe might play a role, especially as most people were employed in the agricultural sector and had to work on inferior land for a lack of alternatives. Also, the US were liberal when Europe was still in the clutches of reactionaries.

His claim that a recent study named an Italian lack of investment into education as a reason is not wrong. But he conveniently fails to mention that while the study cites a low investment (public *and* private) as one reason, it also adds a host of other factors. Namely a lack of reforms to liberalize the service markets and being too national in scope in a globalized world.

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
Even though his proposed solutions were nuts, GP was right about two things: That free education is more of a subsidy to the middle class than a method of social mobility, and that you in fact can shuffle money without things starting to cost more.

Poor people need free education. Middle class people need affordable education. Rich people don't give a gently caress about the price, the investment is worth it to them. You could easily make education paid for by a proportional tax paid by people who are currently benefiting from that education. The savings could be used identify and alleviate the problems that are currently preventing poor people from accessing that free education. Off the top of my head: support for studying for the entrance exams, travel to the exams, cost of moving near the university. Also social work during primary and secondary education to identify individuals who could use some help at home so they could concentrate on learning. Even though alot of that stuff already exists in theory, the austerity push has been wrecking it, especially the services and subsidies that aren't required by law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://www.ft.com/content/1f7c6746-db75-11e6-9d7c-be108f1c1dce

quote:

Donald Trump has taken his strongest swipe yet at the EU, labelling it “a vehicle for Germany” and predicting that other countries will follow Britain in leaving the bloc.
The president-elect also warned that his trust for Angela Merkel “may not last long at all”, ranking the German chancellor alongside Vladimir Putin as a potentially problematic ally.
The comments, made days before his inauguration in an interview with the British Conservative MP Michael Gove, are likely to exacerbate fears in European capitals for the future of the transatlantic alliance. 
“I believe others will leave. I do think keeping it together is not going to be as easy as a lot of people think. And I think this, if refugees keep pouring into different parts of Europe . . . it’s going to be very hard to keep it together because people are angry about it.”
Mr Trump told Mr Gove: “You look at the European Union and it’s Germany. Basically a vehicle for Germany. That’s why I thought the UK was so smart in getting out.” The president-elect said he was “a big fan of the UK” and would “work very hard” to secure a bilateral trade agreement in what would be another rebuke to the EU, with which the US has been engaging in trade negotiations for the past four years.
In his interview published on Sunday, Mr Trump gave mixed messages on Nato, saying the alliance was “very important to me”, but adding it “was obsolete” and that only “five countries . . . are paying what they’re supposed to”.
He suggested he would be support lifting sanctions on Russia if Mr Putin agreed to reduce stockpiles of nuclear weapons. With reference to Mr Putin and Ms Merkel, he said: “I start off trusting both — but let’s see how long that lasts. It may not last long at all.”
“These comments reinforce the view that transatlantic relations are heading for their rockiest period since world war two,” said Charles Grant, director of the Centre for European Reform think-tank.