Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Never mind a plug-in interior heater, I would absolutely love one of those auxiliary parking heaters that are commonplace across Scandinavia.

Basically it's a tiny little furnace that's run off the car's fuel supply that heats and circulates the coolant through both the engine and the cabin heat circuits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

Never mind a plug-in interior heater, I would absolutely love one of those auxiliary parking heaters that are commonplace across Scandinavia.

Basically it's a tiny little furnace that's run off the car's fuel supply that heats and circulates the coolant through both the engine and the cabin heat circuits.

They seem pretty dope but also a huge nightmare if anything ever goes wrong.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

So the condo board has gone from having a contract for snow removal to buying a little bobcat and paying "some guy" to do snow removal to now the condo board president is doing it. He's been doing it for five hours and when I took the dog out an hour ago the whole parking lot was just smooth packed white snow and you could barely tell where the speed bumps were.

I'm really just :psyduck: at this point, everything they do at this building ends up looking like its a half assed DIY job because this guy pisses off contractors left and right and then gets it in his head that it's cheaper and easier for the building to do it on its own. There's no way that guy should've been out there for as long as he has been and have it look as bad as it did when I was out there.

McTinkerson posted:

I could certainly see some insurance companies having issues with those heaters assuming lowest common denominator intelligence of the owners. Speaking of which, anyone need a NOS BNIB 13B block heater?

Is that the original block heater? The cord on mine is shot and I can't find any documentation for what sort of cord to replace it with, I was planning on just resplicing it but if you have a new one I'd be willing to buy it off you.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 10, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wanna know a secret? every bobcat key is the same.

You can go to the bobcat dealer and buy a bobcat key for $5, start the bobcat up and do a better job yourself.

I mean, you pay $50 grand for a bobcat, it would be nice if there weren't already a million keys out there that start it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Wanna know a secret? every bobcat key is the same.

You can go to the bobcat dealer and buy a bobcat key for $5, start the bobcat up and do a better job yourself.

I mean, you pay $50 grand for a bobcat, it would be nice if there weren't already a million keys out there that start it.

It's not like most of the ones I see don't just have the keys left in them.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

That's hilarious/mild horrifying because they just park that loving thing out in the open in visitor parking and it'd be all of five minutes to take it to an industrial lot and not attract attention until you get a trailer to pick it up.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

That's hilarious/mild horrifying because they just park that loving thing out in the open in visitor parking and it'd be all of five minutes to take it to an industrial lot and not attract attention until you get a trailer to pick it up.

I think most of the plan for Bobcat security is basically "they're hard to drive for the first 10-15 minutes until you figure out how to turn."

Part 2 is "lol don't raise the bucket that high nub"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

That's why you see a crazy amount of stolen bobcat ads on kijiji and in the news.

I mean, if someone steals a bobcat to use on their acreage full of stolen poo poo who's gonna go in trying to read the serial number? that's why when police finally bust this poo poo they always have like 5 skid steers because when it breaks, you just go steal a new one.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Powershift posted:

I mean, if someone steals a bobcat to use on their acreage full of stolen poo poo who's gonna go in trying to read the serial number? that's why when police finally bust this poo poo they always have like 5 skid steers because when it breaks, you just go steal a new one.

reddeer.txt right here

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MrChips posted:

Webasto and Espar are the main ones. Most of my work trucks have been equipped with them. They work well but would drain a full set of batteries in about 5 hrs.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

1500quidporsche posted:

Is that the original block heater? The cord on mine is shot and I can't find any documentation for what sort of cord to replace it with, I was planning on just resplicing it but if you have a new one I'd be willing to buy it off you.

OG block heater, has the 13B element that bolts to the block by the P/S bracket and the cord for it. I'll get you pictures of it tonight.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

DrakeriderCa posted:

Why doesn't anyone use plug-in interior heaters? We had one in a work truck 10 years ago and it was the greatest thing ever. In the morning your car was toasty warm inside and the windows were all clear. No scraping ever. Just another cord to plug in along with the block heater.
I've had two so far, I might still own both. They're identical and came with the vehicles when I bought them - one in my old Prelude and one in my current Ranger. They do a decent job, especially for a relatively small air space like the interiors of those vehicles. I had one of them and the block heater plugged into a common 2m extension cord for a while when I was in Saskatoon, put an outdoor timer on it to start an hour before you expect to drive and you'll be way less bothered by a prairie winter without paying for electricity all night long. Granted, it's cheaper at night (around here) but it's not free. I don't have an energized parking spot - or even an assigned spot out back of the building - so it's kind of a moot point, but this conversation has reminded me to throw one into the truck when I head to Quebec for a conference next month.

Regarding mice, I don't leave the heater in the car over the 6 months of poor snowmobiling season. It gets in the way anyways, and tends to slide around on the floor and fall out of whatever box or bag I put it in at an inopportune moment, like when I'm digging for something under the pile of crap back there.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

While an hour for the interior heater is probably fine, 1hr for the block heater is probably bordering on not doing much of anything. You need at least a few hours for the heat to transfer from the coolant->block->pan unless it's some sort of monster.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The block heater in my pickup is 1500 watts. i've got it plugged into the christmas light plug above the porch, which i can turn on with a light switch in the closet. It's pretty boss.

loving 3 feet of god drat heavy hard snow drift between me and my truck -30 wind chill broken loving shovel god damnit.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 10, 2017

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

jonathan posted:

Webasto and Espar are the main ones. Most of my work trucks have been equipped with them. They work well but would drain a full set of batteries in about 5 hrs.

They and their dealers only want to install heaters in commercial vehicles, and besides, the heaters they have are much too large for your average car or truck. Even their car-sized ones take like 20 minutes to run through a cycle.

Many OEMs offer parking heaters as an option in Europe, but since they are controlled through the cellphone network they won't work here straight out of the box.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hold on to your butts hats and stock up on washer fluid.

40C temperature swing coming up in the next several days. Probably a 200 KPH wind behind it too so the snow we have will probably be gone by mid next week.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

At least winter is over for good now, right?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Hold on to your butts hats and stock up on washer fluid.

40C temperature swing coming up in the next several days. Probably a 200 KPH wind behind it too so the snow we have will probably be gone by mid next week.

I wish we could build a wind farm that would actually be able to effectively generate at Lethbridge wind speeds because I bet we could just build a giant wall of spinning blades to keep you southies in your place - I mean, fed with cheap green electricity.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm going to be in Montana and Washington all next week. I am half expecting to hear from my wife that we lost a piece of siding or something and her senior citizen dad is going to climb 20' up the extending ladder and attempt and fix it but fall off it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

I'm going to be in Montana and Washington all next week. I am half expecting to hear from my wife that we lost a piece of siding or something and her senior citizen dad is going to climb 20' up the extending ladder and attempt and fix it but fall off it.

I'll see if I can catch him as he sails past my house clutching a piece of airborne siding for dear life.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'll see if I can catch him as he sails past my house clutching a piece of airborne siding for dear life.

When did you buy land in Saskatchewan?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

When did you buy land in Saskatchewan?

Like anyone owns land in Saskatchewan. It belongs to all of us, man.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Black Diamond now has a traffic light: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/traffic-lights-black-diamond-1.3930296

The locals are worried that it is a slippery slope on the way to Big Government:

quote:

"What I'm concerned with is now that they have one here, they're going to want one up top the hill, they're going to want one down by the post office, the grocery store. Those spots you can sit there a while because it's not a four way," he said.

"That's my concern. Now that we have one, usually they don't stop at one."

But I'm thinking we should all go down there sometime and take selfies of ourselves with the traffic light until the townsfolk call the RCMP about why there are so many shitboxes and millennials around.

Then we can do stoplight drags.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

He's got a point though. 20 years ago, whitecourt only had 1 stop light. now they have have like 20, AND a traffic circle. where does it end?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

How do I convince my wife that she would rather have a rally-x / drift car instead of a Honeymoon?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-other/calgary/1992-mazda-rx7-fd/1230534905?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Car question: My 2007 Hyundai Accent has started wallowing on the highway. It's pretty unsettling to drive when the roads are slippery, and the car starts swaying from side to side when I'm on a straight highway. What could cause that? It makes me think suspension but I'm not sure where to start. I was going to start by pulling the wheels off and looking for loose/missing nuts or bolts but is there a more compelling suspect?

McTinkerson posted:

How do I convince my wife that she would rather have a rally-x / drift car instead of a Honeymoon?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-other/calgary/1992-mazda-rx7-fd/1230534905?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

ad is gone but I'm sure she'll understand, since I'm assuming you've already bought the FD and are in the process of bringing it home

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

DrakeriderCa posted:

Car question: My 2007 Hyundai Accent has started wallowing on the highway. It's pretty unsettling to drive when the roads are slippery, and the car starts swaying from side to side when I'm on a straight highway. What could cause that? It makes me think suspension but I'm not sure where to start. I was going to start by pulling the wheels off and looking for loose/missing nuts or bolts but is there a more compelling suspect?

ad is gone but I'm sure she'll understand, since I'm assuming you've already bought the FD and are in the process of bringing it home

My 2012 accent does that a little bit when the roads are super icy and there's a bit of wind. Large surface area and low weight at speed on a short rear end wheelbase doesn't help.

That said, it's manageable and I only feel it when the conditions are juuuust right.

How are the sway bar bushings and endlinks? Shocks aren't leaking any fluid?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ya I'd just chalk that up to road conditions and short wheelbase FWD unless it's really violently moving around and is borderline undriveable. You could try putting a bit of weight in the back to help the rear tires get a bit more grip.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

I would think maybe steering like tie rods, possibly lower control arm bushings? Short wheelbase cars on slippery surfaces can behave that way though.

The ad was for a RHD FD missing an ECU and BOV with a big single conversion and 90psi compression on all rotor faces for $3800 obo.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Alright, cool. It's been like this before but felt like it got worse recently. Back end looks tight 😘 but I haven't checked steering components yet.

Oh man someone (I'm thinking someone specific whose name starts with a C ) probably got a killer deal on that FD

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
If you are finding a lot of vulnerability to cross-winds all of a sudden it is probably the ball joints.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
My three-year old loves his toy cars, especially his 'speed cars' (i.e. race cars, and he says 'speeeeed' like Clarkson and it's awesome).

So yesterday we were out and the following conversation happened:

'Daddy, it's just like mine speed car!' 'No, that's a Prius, son.'

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Who wants a RX-8 in almost the exact configuration I would build? (Save for the garbage suspension.)

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/fort-mcmurray/2008-mazda-rx8-gt/1232179395?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

Who wants a RX-8 in almost the exact configuration I would build? (Save for the garbage suspension.)

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/fort-mcmurray/2008-mazda-rx8-gt/1232179395?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Very interesting.

What's that motor worth? Assuming everything he's saying is in there is legit.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'd probably say based on my own experience $4-5k if it actually has what he's saying since RX-7 specialties was really trying to push me towards a performance build and the numbers were around there. If it had 5k on it I'd be alright with that. But with only 10km on the motor and it needs a new oxygen sensor I'd be scared that you're going to end up chasing problems and stuff that was forgotten.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

That motor is $6k after all the porting and rotor machining. 13B-MSP bidge port + rotor machining for FD seals is 2k on it's own. Add in the usual $4k for a rebuild since half of that engine is new parts. The sohn adapter to run 2 stroke is another $500.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
cherrybomb exhaust

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

drat. Last night was brutal. Left Spokane in the late afternoon to come home to Lethbridge. The shortest and most direct route us up through Sandpoint, Bonners Ferry, hit the Crowsnest #3 and straight home.

Fighting freezing rain and snow almost the entire way, with zero visibility in sections. Get to just outside of Fernie in the early evening to stopped and backed up traffic and nobody coming the other way. After about an hour or so a guy coming the other way stops as I am outside stretching my legs. He turned around. Turns out some semi wiped out, hit a bridge, needs to be inspected and cops say at least 6-7 hours until it opens, and that was a maybe.

gently caress.

There is literally no other way across the mountains than that highway when you are that far south. One option, and it wasn't very palatable, was going back across the line but the port hours are not good in those crossings in the middle of nowhere.

Even though we were less than 200KM home at that time, there was no idea when we would be moving again so we made the decision. Turn around, head back to Cranbrook and then north head up through Fairmont, Radium, Banff, Calgary, then all the way south again. I think it was an additional 500KM through mostly miserable conditions in the mountains. Got to bed around 3:30AM :(

e: hosed up because of 2 hours of sleep

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 19, 2017

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

slidebite posted:

drat. Last night was brutal. Left Spokane in the late afternoon to come home to Lethbridge. The shortest and most direct route us up through Sandpoint, Bonners Ferry, hit the Crowsnest #3 and straight home.

Fighting freezing rain and snow almost the entire way, with zero visibility in sections. Get to just outside of Fernie in the early evening to stopped and backed up traffic and nobody coming the other way. After about an hour or so a guy coming the other way stops as I am outside stretching my legs. He turned around. Turns out some semi wiped out, hit a bridge, needs to be inspected and cops say at least 6-7 hours until it opens, and that was a maybe.

gently caress.

There is literally no other way across the mountains than that highway when you are that far south. Only other option, and it wasn't very palatable, was going back across the line but the port hours are not good in those crossings in the middle of nowhere.

Even though we were less than 200KM home at that time, there was no idea when we would be moving again so we made the decision. Turn around, head back to Cranbrook and then north head up through Fairmont, Fernie, Radium, Banff, Calgary, then all the way south again. I think it was an additional 500KM through mostly miserable conditions in the mountains. Got to bed around 3:30AM :(

lovely man. Same poo poo around here - only one route, unless you take a 300km detour on poo poo roads.
Yay Canada? :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sounds like my work night, every drat night since october!

Hwy 40 south of GP closed down this morning. I got home at 8am, went to sleep, woke up to the hwy 40 facebook group flooded with reports of multiple deaths, multiple turned over tanker trucks, 3 hour waits etc.

Companies are shutting down operations today because of the conditions, even the bus systems.