Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Brandon by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Bangkok by Tom Olson, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

This one over the other one.

Also, "Landscape Thread: Who turned out the lights?"

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Landscape Thread: lights.

Wild EEPROM fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 15, 2017

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Bangkok looks cool.

I just got back from a walk around part of my own nearest large-ish city's downtown. Had high hopes since it was foggy, there's a lot of utilitarian 70's bureaucratic architecture in that section and it's fairly depopulated at night. Was really hoping to find an industrial-looking HVAC system or something, lit in diffuse foggy light. But no luck. Just parking garages and dumpsters. And security guards.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Zank Frappa
Oct 16, 2006
Freak me out Frank.

Near Mount Cook by Cantebury Nz, on Flickr

Kea Parrot at Ben Lomond by Cantebury Nz, on Flickr

Zank Frappa fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jan 15, 2017

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 15, 2017

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
Trying to keep up with my daily 50mm challenge to myself for 2017. Churns out a lot of crap, but a few neat ones have come through, I think.

Untitled by Ryan Sees What, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I Giardini di Villa Melzi by alkanphel, on Flickr

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
RGY

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

This is aces.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

I wish the out-of-focus bits in the lower left weren't there, or weren't out of focus.

I really like this. Curiously, the greenery at the bottom of the frame LOOKS out of focus at first, but isn't. There just aren't any highlight to pop it out like the top half of the photo.

I'm going to be in NZ in March-April. Really looking forward to it.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Zank Frappa
Oct 16, 2006
Freak me out Frank.

thetzar posted:

I really like this. Curiously, the greenery at the bottom of the frame LOOKS out of focus at first, but isn't. There just aren't any highlight to pop it out like the top half of the photo.
I'm going to be in NZ in March-April. Really looking forward to it.

Thank you, appreciate it. New Zealand is an amazing place plenty of breathtaking and varied places to see, been a good place to start learning photography for me. I'd recommend getting a camper van and doing a loop of the islands. Here's one from a few months ago re-cropped

The Devil's Punchbowl by Cantebury Nz, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Phuket by Tom Olson, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Zank Frappa posted:

Thank you, appreciate it. New Zealand is an amazing place plenty of breathtaking and varied places to see, been a good place to start learning photography for me. I'd recommend getting a camper van and doing a loop of the islands. Here's one from a few months ago re-cropped

The Devil's Punchbowl by Cantebury Nz, on Flickr

I'd love to hear any South Island recommendations. A camper van is likely in my future, though I've never done that before. Are reservations needed at most overnight sites?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

murk
Oct 31, 2003
Never argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Are this poo poo? I need constructive crit. Family of course XXoOXoXOoX LOVES THEM XOOxoOXoXox

My self crit would be:
I think the foreground is busy and a bit distracting. Also the subject(?), the tree in the field is not taking up enough of the frame. I wanted to really show the god rays however.. so cropping in more was not satifying me.
Coffman Missouri by a a, on Flickr

I think overall this one might be a bit boring. I really became attached to it because in person it was a beautiful scene. I didn't fully capture it. I also tried experimenting with a dark sky in B\W and I think I might have blinders. Does the dark sky basically = puke HDR like processing?
Coffman Driveway by a a, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The first one isn't bad like it is, but I do think it'd be a stronger image without the foreground weeds. If I crop out the bottom with a finger and eyeball it I like it a lot more though, so standing on the other side of the fence is probably where you wanted to be. I don't mind the size of the tree, as the background and clouds are the more interesting parts to look at.

The second does have some ugly halos where the trees meet the sky that you'd want to address. In my opinion the bottom third isn't doing much for the image either and can probably be moved to a square crop with no issues. It does feel a little lopsided though, the road kind of draws attention towards the right side but there's all that corn concealing the view. It seems standing a couple steps to the left might have avoided that but I wasn't there so that's just a guess. :angel:

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I think the second one would look better as a square crop with the sky and the trees. As for the dark sky, I assumed you'd done it with a red filter on the lens, if you did it in post then I guess that explains the weird artifacts.

murk
Oct 31, 2003
Never argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

xzzy posted:

The first one isn't bad like it is, but I do think it'd be a stronger image without the foreground weeds. If I crop out the bottom with a finger and eyeball it I like it a lot more though, so standing on the other side of the fence is probably where you wanted to be. I don't mind the size of the tree, as the background and clouds are the more interesting parts to look at.

The second does have some ugly halos where the trees meet the sky that you'd want to address. In my opinion the bottom third isn't doing much for the image either and can probably be moved to a square crop with no issues. It does feel a little lopsided though, the road kind of draws attention towards the right side but there's all that corn concealing the view. It seems standing a couple steps to the left might have avoided that but I wasn't there so that's just a guess. :angel:

Xzzy: Thanks so much for the crit. I think you are right on all accounts.

Helen Highwater: I did it in post, i used silverfx... and the red filter option :) I think I stared at the photo long enough to block out how bad the halo\weird poo poo in the sky was getting.

Do you guys think that the dark sky is a bad choice here? Try to forget about the poo poo job I did on it

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I think the dark sky works well with that composition because it balances out the relatively light foreground. A light sky would be much less impactful and you'd also lose all the contrast with the clouds. Just do it with a physical filter next time.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
That first shot is still pretty nice, but it could have done with just a little trespassing to put that fence line behind you.

murk
Oct 31, 2003

Sauer posted:

That first shot is still pretty nice, but it could have done with just a little trespassing to put that fence line behind you.

Thanks. I think you are right. At the time, I believe I was thinking that it might add something to the foreground. But its too busy and really just weeds.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Dubbo by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006