Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

InFlames235 posted:

Where are you seeing this? Was seeing 256GB microsdxc's for like $120 at the cheapest last I looked and they got awful ratings because they were no-name brands that died within 3 months for most people.

My mistake. I was looking at SDXCs, not MicroSDXCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Libluini posted:

Yeah, I never quite understood what that even was supposed to be there for. A couple weeks ago I tried it out on my 3DSXL out of sheer curiosity and was appalled. What good is a browser if it chokes even on something simple like Wikipedia? On my PS4 at least it made kind of sense, even though I never got to use the browser because I never ran into the situation of both my PC and notebook breaking at the same time.

Again, captive portals for public WiFi networks, like on trains or airplanes.

But this doesn't seem like a device that is going to enjoy widespread appeal, so probably won't matter anyways.

Cojawfee posted:

I am fully expecting to see reports from every person in this thread who claimed they will just walk into the store on release day and buy a switch.

Bought my Wii U on launch day at a GameStop, no problem.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 16, 2017

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Can't cheap out on that storage yo, gotta pay the piper

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Fame Douglas posted:

Bought my Wii U on launch day at a GameStop, no problem.

This is really gonna be dependent on Nintendo figuring out their supply line. It sounds like they had it figured out for the Wii U, maybe. On the other hand, it also seems like the Wii U didn't do really well outside of die-hard Nintendo people.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

TaurusOxford posted:

My mistake. I was looking at SDXCs, not MicroSDXCs.

For sure, I can't even find a 512GB Micro SDXC :(. I actually wish they used regular SDXC cards as they're way easier to find larger storage for cheaper. An extra $200 for 256GB is not my jam.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Can't cheap out on that storage yo, gotta pay the piper

Suddenly getting intense Vita flashbacks.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah why micro? Just couldn't spare the space?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I still can't believe you people are excited for a new Bomberman. It's Pacinkonami. They fired everyone who ever worked there who had talwnt and game design skills. The game WILL be a train wreck.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Super Bomberman R is made by the original Bomberman team, Nintendo lobbied Konami to hire them back.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Fulchrum posted:

I still can't believe you people are excited for a new Bomberman. It's Pacinkonami. They fired everyone who ever worked there who had talwnt and game design skills. The game WILL be a train wreck.

well, the game exists because of Nintendo. It's as much a Konami game as Bayonetta is a Sega one.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Fulchrum posted:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Wow, sdxc prices are weird. You can get a well rated 128gb card for $40 but a well rated 256gb is like at least $150.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Will you really need above 128gb for a while? I have a 16GB in my 3DS and that's not even halfway full with a ton of games.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

VideoGames lets hold a bomberman tournament and the winner is the new mod of Games.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Breath of the Wild is 13 gigs, so I'd suggest at least a 128 card if you're even slightly interested in going digital for full games. For the Wii U and 3DS I went straight digital but with the fact that high capacity micro cards are still really expensive and the 20% amazon prime discount, I can't see myself downloading anything with a cart release.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What kind of virtual console content is likely to be available for the Switch? I realize Wii and WiiU games are unlikely to ever be available as VC content, but will I at least be able to get some Gamecube stuff there? Is it likely to be available shortly after launch or take months, if not years to become available even if they can go that far?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Infinitum posted:

VideoGames lets hold a bomberman tournament and the winner is the new mod of Games.

I look forward to being your new mod and probating you constantly

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

VideoGames posted:

Will you really need above 128gb for a while? I have a 16GB in my 3DS and that's not even halfway full with a ton of games.

I guess it really depends on how big Switch games get. Breath of the Wild is around 14 gigs (almost half the Switch's internal storage) but then some games like Bomberman are only 4. You can kind of estimate how big some games may be, like Mario Kart 8 was 5 gigs on Wii U but maybe with the new content it'll approach 6 or 7?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

tsob posted:

What kind of virtual console content is likely to be available for the Switch? I realize Wii and WiiU games are unlikely to ever be available as VC content, but will I at least be able to get some Gamecube stuff there? Is it likely to be available shortly after launch or take months, if not years to become available even if they can go that far?

The following vc titles will be available at launch:

Super Mario Bros - $15
Super Mario World - $20
Extreme G - $35

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

The game seems to have a first person mode in it using 3D graphics.

Not saying that's worth it, but that's probably why it's 40.

Still better than SFV.

VideoGames posted:

3DS isn't HD. I imagine Switch games to be significantly bigger.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Console games tend to be a bit bigger, even when you aren't filling them full of pre-rendered video and uncompressed audio and 4k textures like a hedonistic uncaring idiot, but it's really hard to judge, at this point, how large the average game will be.

I'd rather just buy carts personally, but buying a physical copy isn't always going to be convenient.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Infinitum posted:

No joke, but I have often though if I see slapfights going on in multiplayer gaming threads that those engaged in it will have to duel ingame and the loser gets a probation. If its more than two then the winner picks who gets the probation :getin:

This wouldn't foster a healthy forum though

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Do people still give a poo poo about bomberman? like I kinda enjoyed the DS game a while back but it's hardly A or even B list of games I would purchase.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

tsob posted:

NES, SNES, N64 are already on the Wii/Wii U so I imagine they will guaranteed be on the Switch. They have said that GC games will be on the Switch. I would say there's a good chance of Wii games showing up at some point too. Since they have said that they are outsourcing VC stuff to the guys who did the NES Classic, I am hopeful for a larger selection available at a quicker pace than the Wii U's snail pace release of VC content.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I really liked Saturn Bomberman back in the day and if Nintendo wants to give the guy another shot to rise from the grave then I'll listen.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Jimmy Hats posted:

Super Mario Bros - $15
Super Mario World - $20
Extreme G - $35

I wish I could believe you were joking, both that the selection will be that paltry and that those are the titles, but I totally believe that. $20 for a 27 year old SNES game; wonderful.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Extreme G owns, bad frame rate and all.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

VideoGames posted:

No joke, but I have often though if I see slapfights going on in multiplayer gaming threads that those engaged in it will have to duel ingame and the loser gets a probation. If its more than two then the winner picks who gets the probation :getin:

This wouldn't foster a healthy forum though

It would foster a strong forum.

Where only winners are allowed to post :colbert:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Biggest, reasonably priced Micro SDXC card I can find

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1K63YZ7932&cm_re=micro_sdxc_card-_-20-173-111-_-Product

200 GB for $73 + $1 shipping.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Cartoon Man posted:

:yeah:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Cartoon Man posted:

No game that old is worth $35. I just checked and you could buy an N64 with two controllers and three games, along with a separate copy of the physical Extreme G game on eBay for less than twice that price (€60 versus €33). You could pick up a game that's about 6 months old for less than that these days if you look around.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Kawabata posted:

The "videogame industry" didn't do this to Nintendo: Nintendo is unreasonable and greedy at times, exactly like everyone else in the business. Actually, they've proven to be more unreasonable than average, both with consumers and with 3rd parties that they consistently treated like poo poo when they were the big dogs.

One of the reasons you see such terrible irrational choices might be the fact that people like Miyamoto, Kimishima, Iwata and Yamauchi before him simply couldn't be reasoned with. Can you imagine how toxic would it be to work with someone like shiggy? He's a genius designer who's achieved global success by doing his own thing and never listening to what people told him: to an extent he's still doing this for better or worse - iirc he categorically refused to put in-game purchases in Super Mario Run despite everyone else telling him to - and while its artistic integrity is admirable, the same talents that brought him to the top probably make him an egotistic arrogant rear end in a top hat resistant to any change whatsoever.

I don't know Miyamoto or what actually happens at Nintendo, but this is my very personal and subjective explanation of why they've been making terrible choices for the past 20 years, mostly based on rumors, guesswork and unconfirmed assumptions. That said yes, MK8 is a such a great game that you can think of anything to justify buying it twice. :)

This is already from a few pages back but I wanted to respond to it because while Miyamoto being a tyrant at times is correct during the Treehouse Live segment they revealed that the reason we are going to graphically and contextually jarring locals in Mario Odyssey is apparently due to him letting the younger designers run wild and he didn't override every idea he didn't like.

So at least you can't blame him for that!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Q_res posted:

Biggest, reasonably priced Micro SDXC card I can find

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1K63YZ7932&cm_re=micro_sdxc_card-_-20-173-111-_-Product

200 GB for $73 + $1 shipping.

I'd probably opt for something stupid fast instead of more storage space when buying a microSD for my Switch. Like this https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-MicroSDXC-Memory-MB-MD128DA-AM/dp/B01CO48M36 or this https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-expa...ET63K399RZ720BM

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

tsob posted:

No game that old is worth $35. I just checked and you could buy an N64 with two controllers and three games, along with a separate copy of the physical Extreme G game on eBay for less than twice that price (€60 versus €33). You could pick up a game that's about 6 months old for less than that these days if you look around.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I got a 64GB Micro SDXC from Wal-Mart for Black Friday last year for $14. If the Switch has 32GB onboard, then I'm looking at 96GB of space out the door. Black Friday deals will probably be incredible for Switch owners this year.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I love how every story of Miyamoto exercising his authority morphs into stories about him being a self obsessed tyrant, without fail.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Infinitum posted:

This but ARMS

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

teagone posted:

I'd probably opt for something stupid fast instead of more storage space when buying a microSD for my Switch.

I thought 90 MBps was plenty fast, especially considering it's a good $25 cheaper than the 95 MBps cards you linked.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Jimmy Hats posted:

Super Mario Bros - $15
Super Mario World - $20
Extreme G - $35

Their VC pricing has always been consistent, NES games for 5, SNES for 8, N64 for ten, Wii for 15. That's never changed. GBA and DS were more variable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fulchrum posted:

Fun Konami Fact: the dude who made Gyruss went to his boss there and asked for a raise, so they fired him. He went to Capcom and made 1942. And then Final Fight. And then Street Fighter II.

• Locked thread