Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Itanium was really cool on paper but in practice it was a short-lived platform that was hard to write good code for and that you had to warn people you were starting up because it drew so many amps on power-on you were likely to blow at least one breaker flipping the switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

I'm waiting on this thread to tell me when this whole thing falls apart and it ends up being Bulldozer II or w/e. Don't let me down again AMD!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Leaks over the past few months have consistently been saying "this is actually good and happening", so my figurative money's on AMD.

For people whose literal money is on AMD, see /r/AMD_Stock. Bring bourbon.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Kazinsal posted:

Itanium was really cool on paper but in practice it was a short-lived platform that was hard to write good code for and that you had to warn people you were starting up because it drew so many amps on power-on you were likely to blow at least one breaker flipping the switch

Short lived? They're still releasing Itanium successors this year.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

SourKraut posted:

Short lived? They're still releasing Itanium successors this year.

I thought the last version of Windows Server that supported Itanium was Server 2008R2. I can't imagine any new chips coming out are for new systems, most likely legacy systems or upgrades to software that does not have an x64 port. The wikipedia article makes it look like it's pretty drat dead. I'm sure there's niche markets but you can't even throw server 2012 on it, I'm sure there's some Linux Distro still being updated. Server 2008 R2 is EoL in 3 years too.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

pixaal posted:

I thought the last version of Windows Server that supported Itanium was Server 2008R2. I can't imagine any new chips coming out are for new systems, most likely legacy systems or upgrades to software that does not have an x64 port. The wikipedia article makes it look like it's pretty drat dead. I'm sure there's niche markets but you can't even throw server 2012 on it, I'm sure there's some Linux Distro still being updated. Server 2008 R2 is EoL in 3 years too.

It sounds like what might be the final revision will come out this year.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

SourKraut posted:

It sounds like what might be the final revision will come out this year.

Companies are slow to move, I doubt HP expects to sell many of these and will likely sell them at a high price tag to companies that aren't ready to move off the platform yet. Kind of like how you can still get support for Windows XP if you spend enough money.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

ultrabay2000 posted:

I'm waiting on this thread to tell me when this whole thing falls apart and it ends up being Bulldozer II or w/e. Don't let me down again AMD!

My friend and I just dropped $220 each on 32GB DDR4-3200 for Zen. If Bulldozer 2.0 shows up at least we have the 7700K to look at.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

pixaal posted:

I doubt HP expects to sell many of these and will likely sell them at a high price tag to companies that aren't ready to move off the platform yet.

Somewhere in reading about Itanium I read the average cost of a new Itanium system today was somewhere in the range of 220K~

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Enterprise systems are very expensive and really difficult and expensive to migrate. Itanium lives in the same space as POWER, SPARC, and IBM/HP mainframes, which is the world that the vast majority of us would never touch. HP/UX still supports the Itanium, and HP is the only OEM still making systems on the platform. Old companies still use mainframe and mainframe like systems for a lot of their operations, but are slowly moving to platforms like MS Dynamics AX.

My last company used both a IBM and HP3000 mainframes, and I built out the new Dynamics AX environment that the HP3000 was migrating to. That project with licensing, hardware (Cisco UCS), and professional services was well north of $500k.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ultrabay2000 posted:

Somewhere in reading about Itanium I read the average cost of a new Itanium system today was somewhere in the range of 220K~

Doesn't match my experience (and I am the HPUX/AIX/Solaris sysadmin at my company, effectively). It's more like a tenth that. Of course, it does depend what you're buying and why - we don't need actually-brand-new, high-end gear, but I'm not sure very many people do to be honest given it's now a legacy system.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Palladium posted:

My friend and I just dropped $220 each on 32GB DDR4-3200 for Zen. If Bulldozer 2.0 shows up at least we have the 7700K to look at.

oh no

it's begun

how would you even know the maximum speed that any certain Ryzen motherboard runs at? Did you already have a specific motherboard in mind CAN YOU SHARE SPECS??????

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

oh no

it's begun

how would you even know the maximum speed that any certain Ryzen motherboard runs at? Did you already have a specific motherboard in mind CAN YOU SHARE SPECS??????

I'm sure it's "well intel can do that so,"

Which is hilarious

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Eh, I've gotten DDR4-3000 RAM for my 5820K, so that I can run it at 2400MHz without bumping the voltage to 1.35V and also run tight timings. Might be applicable to Zen, too.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
While it's true that DDR4 as a spec is already something that can be counted on, it's more smart to wait for someone to have tested *insert RAM product here* on *insert motherboard/CPU combo here* for you first before you buy. A lot of motherboard (and CPU!) manufacturers provide these lists of approved products as a great guide for component shopping, and not just as a sly deal with collaborative hardware vendors to boost specific product sales

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

AMD generally doesn't limit the speed you can run RAM at with the sole exception of the AM1 platform.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Meanwhile I'm still on DDR3-1333 RAM.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

OhFunny posted:

Meanwhile I'm still on DDR3-1333 RAM.

Phenom II X6 with DDR3-1667

one day I'll upgrade

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Haquer posted:

Phenom II X6 with DDR3-1667

one day I'll upgrade

I have an i5-4590. I just didn't see the need to buy new RAM.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

AMD generally doesn't limit the speed you can run RAM at with the sole exception of the AM1 platform.

but what if it turns out that motherboards can go faster than the set that person bought? what if there's performance left on the table for a simliar amount of money, but it's too late for a return?

the principle here isn't that the DDR4 speeds are being guessed at, it's that pre-emptively scratching the consumption itch is a weird thing to do for essential and sensitive components like RAM. Wouldn't just waiting to see maximum CPU -and- motherboard specs next month be a better idea? Maybe waiting even a little bit longer to see what setups third-party reviewers manage to overclock their CPU/memory with?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Getting slightly faster RAM is the weakest performance upgrade ever. Why even worry about it?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

Kyle Bennett is the Zsa Zsa Gabor of hardware reviews.

He made his own automotive forums subscription-only because he posted there about his new Hummer H2 that he took offroad and they all made fun of him for buying such a stupid loving vehicle.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

FuturePastNow posted:

Getting slightly faster RAM is the weakest performance upgrade ever. Why even worry about it?

Ugh

This whole thing started out as a humorous take on Zen anticipation, I wasn't here to split hairs about RAM performance

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

feedmegin posted:

Doesn't match my experience (and I am the HPUX/AIX/Solaris sysadmin at my company, effectively). It's more like a tenth that. Of course, it does depend what you're buying and why - we don't need actually-brand-new, high-end gear, but I'm not sure very many people do to be honest given it's now a legacy system.

I guess I found that on the wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itanium#Itanium_9500_.28Poulson.29:_2012 Under Hardware Support -> Systems. Not really sure where that number came from though - doesn't seem to have a source.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I mean, let's be real here. If you know you're going to be building a new system come March of whichever of Kaby Lake or Zen turns out to be "better", I don't see why you don't start scraping deals between now and then anyways, right?

The release of Zen is most assuredly going to drive the prices of all components up due to demand, after all. Why not get some of the common poo poo first?

Actually, now that I think about it, weren't DRAM prices on the rise AGAIN?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 16, 2017

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I mean, let's be real here. If you know you're going to be building a new system come March of whichever of Kaby Lake or Zen turns out to be "better", I don't see why you don't start scraping deals between now and then anyways, right?

The release of Zen is most assuredly going to drive the prices of all components up due to demand, after all. Why not get some of the common poo poo first?

Actually, now that I think about it, weren't DRAM prices on the rise AGAIN?

Exactly. At least for my country, prices for 8GB DDR4-2133 has risen around 50% since last September lows to be nearly on price parity per GB with the 2x16GB 3200 stuff. I reckoned Zen isn't gonna do any favors to the RAM prices either, so might as well grab the 3200 now and get to also run with 2 DIMMs instead of 4.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
That

is fair. It's just that there's a little risk involved when computers are less like paintings (gently caress you Steve Jobs) and more like carpentry, where stuff tends to work more when you measure it. It looked a little bit like a Star Citizen-like situation to me, which is why I piped up.

actually, in my case, it wasn't so much Star Citizen as it was MechWarrior Online. WHICH I COMPLETELY REBUILT MY RIG FOR :negative:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

That

is fair. It's just that there's a little risk involved when computers are less like paintings (gently caress you Steve Jobs) and more like carpentry, where stuff tends to work more when you measure it. It looked a little bit like a Star Citizen-like situation to me, which is why I piped up.

actually, in my case, it wasn't so much Star Citizen as it was MechWarrior Online. WHICH I COMPLETELY REBUILT MY RIG FOR :negative:

In hindsight I would have bought 16GB DDR4 for 70-80 bux last year even if it meant I would never touch it for a long time.

Unlike everything else, RAM prices are notoriously volatile, where it can move from $30/8GB end-2015 to $150/16GB during mid-2014.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Palladium posted:

Unlike everything else, RAM prices are notoriously volatile

Well, yeah. I wouldn't expect RAM to be non-volatile.

:)

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Actuarial Fables posted:

Well, yeah. I wouldn't expect RAM to be non-volatile.

:)

The guillotine for you.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

FuturePastNow posted:

Can confirm a noticeable performance gain in that game when overclocking my DDR3 sticks from 1333 to 1866 MHz

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

fallout 4 and skyrim remaster are notable in that having quad channel actually does something

ufarn
May 30, 2009
GTAV is also one of the games that sees huge performance gains IIRC.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

fallout 4 and skyrim remaster are notable in that having quad channel actually does something

You still haven't linked to articles that draw those conclusions like I requested!

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

This thread is so loving bored they are debating memory channel setups. Yikes.

Save them Lisa, this isn't a fate I'd wish on anyone.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Blame intel for not making a processor that significantly outdoes the 2600K. You want to kill upgrades among enthusiasts, that's the way to do it.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You still haven't linked to articles that draw those conclusions like I requested!
welp, it looks like I hosed the chicken because I could have sworn I read something about quad channel doing something for fallout 4/skyrim remaster but no article I can search about it has bothered testing it on that specific game and it was probably some 4chan post or something.

sorry!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

pigdog posted:

Can confirm a noticeable performance gain in that game when overclocking my DDR3 sticks from 1333 to 1866 MHz

Bethesda_code.pptx

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Well worry no more, apparently Zen natively supports DDR4 3200 through AMP, and DDR4 4000 through overclocking.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5o87m8/ryzen_imc_officially_supports_ddr43200_via_amp/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

welp, it looks like I hosed the chicken because I could have sworn I read something about quad channel doing something for fallout 4/skyrim remaster but no article I can search about it has bothered testing it on that specific game and it was probably some 4chan post or something.

sorry!

I suspected that it wasn't actually true, as the Jaguar-based consoles are still single-channel. To find that games of any stripe would use quad-channel meaningfully when they don't even have access to dual-channel in a significant percentage of cases would have been a truly surprising revelation.

I await the day that this is no longer the case, but I suspect AMD had the same thought process after making the PS4, XBone, and their half-steps.

• Locked thread