Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I know that I look forward to the coming student rebellion

Boxing day 2.0

Edit:Crap new page. Its finally 36* Frankenstein so I can now fix the brakes on my jeep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

clam ache posted:

Boxing day 2.0

Edit:Crap new page. Its finally 36* Frankenstein so I can now fix the brakes on my jeep

Mods namechange to 36° Frankenstein please

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I am tired of being sick. All I've got the energy for is to walk the dogs and bullshit on the internet.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

God I hate being fat. I went to the Highland games yesterday, spent a good four hours walking around a slightly hilly park with mild sun exposure (lots of trees and tents) and I feel like absolute dogshit. Hit the sack as soon as I got home, have spent most of the last 30 hours in bed, feeling exhausted, with a sore neck, headache and generally feeling bleh. (I drank 2 whole beers so it's not a hangover).

This should not have loving drained me as much as it did.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Being fat sucks. But I've lost 19 pounds since they yanked my tooth.

In other news, I was not rejected for health coverage but the only plans I qualify for will end up being worthless and in the end will cost me three times what the penalty is. So I guess I won't even bother since for some reason this system is focused on loving me over.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Seminal Flu posted:

Oh, I'm sure that's part of it for some. There's also the crushing debt that they need to undertake to get a degree that most people over the age of 40 don't even consider as a factor. They think that "there's always been student loans needed" without recognizing that the economic cost of schooling has doubled, plus, in the last 15 years, or the fact that student loans cannot be discharged through bankruptcy anymore.

We've stacked the deck against a whole generation that we're supposed to be bringing up.
We've also spent that last 15 years throwing loan money at kids and screaming that college is the only way to get a good paying job.

In 10 years when the boomers retire, nobody is going to have any idea how to keep *anything* in good repair. From basic house lights to the power grid, from the fridge to any (draw) bridge.

I know that I look forward to the coming student rebellion
Watching them get run over when their form of rebellion is limited to rioting in the streets will be somewhere either hilarious or horrifying.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 16, 2017

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Compared to CSB we've all wasted our lives.

clam ache posted:

True. I maybe should not be so hard on myself. I mean I'm 28 I take care of my family. I'm training the two new guys at work. But most days my bi-polar mind is stuck in the negative end. And it effects everything I do. gently caress it's hard to be positive and happy around my kids when many days I just wanna swallow some draino....and then two seconds later my brain wants to gently caress anything with a hole then kicks back to depression and all the other fun feelings.

I'm nobody and have done a shitload of my own wasting too. I'm also 28.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

ilkhan posted:

We've also spent that last 15 years throwing loan money at kids and screaming that college is the only way to get a good paying job.

In 10 years when the boomers retire, nobody is going to have any idea how to keep *anything* in good repair. From basic house lights to the power grid, from the fridge to any (draw) bridgel.

Hahaha, you say that like there would be money to fix power grids and bridges to begin with.
That's always been my biggest problem with any political promise to bring jobs to America. Say that there's more people moving to Detroit and Flint and the rest of the Rust Belt for all the manufacturing jobs that were magicked into existence, how the gently caress are huge quantities of materials coming in and similar volumes of products/waste coming out? There's no functional infrastructure in place to handle the massive spike in movement, and there's no plans to change that fact

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Please don't move into Detroit there's not enough jobs as it is and I don't want them to finally have someone better to hire over me

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

ilkhan posted:

In 10 years when the boomers retire, nobody is going to have any idea how to keep *anything* in good repair. From basic house lights to the power grid, from the fridge to any (draw) bridge.

Watching them get run over when their form of rebellion is limited to rioting in the streets will be somewhere either hilarious or horrifying.

ehhhh america can deal with that in 20 years then! :v:

Like BART is breaking all the time and they dont know why. whats maintenance?! E: good example of bad engineering period. Cutting edge and custom components just mean expensive parts and downtime 50 years later.

Hopefully it'll spur a new generation of engineers and thinkers. Unfortunately the Millennials are a dead generation, which means those with usable knowledge/degrees are going to be in a good place.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Everything will keep going just fine.

You think the previous or current generation had a loving clue? Pffttt.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I read an article recently that described millennial being ready and willing to take over leadership as the boomers retire and how it is apparently irking Gen X'ers because they're mad that they were ok with the boomer status quo and that the millennial spirit want to come in and change everything to be more fair

I wish I could find it but it was a great article

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Generations are made up lines in time just like years. Actually years at least correspond to trips around the sun.

What I am saying is "man gently caress millennials" is a less valid statement than "gently caress 2016".

Most of the likely work shortages of the future are going to be due to automation imo. We shall see, skilled trades aka installing and fixing poo poo will still be there.

Geoj, that story about your family was amazing and I wish I could have been a fly on the wall for it :allears:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

I read an article recently that described millennial being ready and willing to take over leadership as the boomers retire and how it is apparently irking Gen X'ers because they're mad that they were ok with the boomer status quo and that the millennial spirit want to come in and change everything to be more fair

That sounds like the kind of thing a Millenial wrote to make himself feel better instead of getting a job because lmao

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ether Frenzy posted:

That sounds like the kind of thing a Millenial wrote to make himself feel better instead of getting a job because lmao

It was written by a boomer iirc

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Enourmo posted:

God I hate being fat. I went to the Highland games yesterday, spent a good four hours walking around a slightly hilly park with mild sun exposure (lots of trees and tents) and I feel like absolute dogshit. Hit the sack as soon as I got home, have spent most of the last 30 hours in bed, feeling exhausted, with a sore neck, headache and generally feeling bleh. (I drank 2 whole beers so it's not a hangover).

I tryed riding my old mountain bike today maybe five miles. Due to my WJ having a bearing problem causing the rotor to go cocked. After five minutes I couldn't keep up a steady pace. Made the ride back to my place but really had a hard time catching my breath. I can lift a rwd tranny like it's nothing, even a Honda six speed. But ask Me to run a few laps or ride a bike and I'm done.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The only thing worse than millennial hate is the self-hating millennial and/or the millennial tripping all over themselves to not admit they're a millennial.

I'm 29, born in 1987. The number of folks my own age I see who are so goddamn mad about these drat millennials is depressing. For a sizeable chunk of the population it seems to mean "someone younger than me that I don't like."

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

blk posted:

A few years ago my wife told me she wanted a kid. I didn't feel ready but her clock was ticking, so I poured everything I had into making that happen - switched to a higher paying career, worked two jobs, bought a house that I didn't like in a distant suburb with great schools and parks for the kiddo, started a college plan early and invested heavily. My relationship with my wife became less and less intimate as she went into nesting mode before our son arrived and it started to feel like she valued me as a generic coparent but not for who I am. Meanwhile I gave up drinking because it was messing with my sleep, can't exercise because of a back injury, can't see friends because I live too far away in this god forsaken suburb, and can't have sex because my wife has been interested all of two times in the past year. I have no outlets left and basically commute to work where I am barely keeping my head above water and commute home where my baby screams at me all night.

Last night my wife told me she was considering separating. Based on how little we share in interests and values at this point, I would strongly consider it, but we have a four month old now and I don't know if he'd be better off with us together or apart. I feel like I did everything I could and still let him down.

gently caress 2017.

blk, sounds like things are rough for you right now :( what is your wife's reasoning for wanting to separate? having a kid makes it really, really tough to have time as a couple (are either of your or her parents in the area) and to keep doing the hobbies that you've been used to doing.

Even if you feel like you're further apart (and getting blue balls) -- the first year is extremely tough, for just about everybody. Remember it's not always going to be this way and when you are planning to be with someone indefinitely you have time in the future to be close again.

Postpartum depression is no joke and it nearly spiraled out of control for my wife just past the 1 year mark but luckily she was willing and ready to go into treatment when I asked her to for alcohol.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Like we are happy with the status quo. The writer is a fuckwit

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Enourmo posted:

Sounds like heat stroke dude.

kastein posted:

Generations are made up lines in time just like years. Actually years at least correspond to trips around the sun.

What I am saying is "man gently caress millennials" is a less valid statement than "gently caress 2016".

Previa_fun posted:

The only thing worse than millennial hate is the self-hating millennial and/or the millennial tripping all over themselves to not admit they're a millennial.

I'm 29, born in 1987. The number of folks my own age I see who are so goddamn mad about these drat millennials is depressing. For a sizeable chunk of the population it seems to mean "someone younger than me that I don't like."

All this arguing about millennials masks no sense unless it's a strictly defined term, otherwise it's just a convenient faceless boogeyman to blame.

I get depressed about debt and my kids future and my abject lack of a social life occasionally, it's hard to deal with but I'm aware I'm lucky. Mid thirties with a decent job, a well built house and a healthy family. Sure I don't have money for a project car and I'll never have the money to throw away on taking the kids to Disneyland (if I had that spare I'd prefer to put it in savings for them because gently caress Disney) but I'm okay.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

All this arguing about millennials masks no sense unless it's a strictly defined term, otherwise it's just a convenient faceless boogeyman to blame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials#Date_and_age_range_defining

I mean it's Wikipedia but most demographers start Generation Y/Millennials as folks born in the early 80s.

It's of course not an exact science but there are generally accepted demarcations.

Honestly based on their wikipedia article we should be aiming out hatred at Generation Z, who are, by all accounts, fuckin' squares.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 16, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Right so a 20-year age range are all treated exactly the same lumped under a banner it's convenient to call whatever you want.

And I'm a millennial according to most of those sources. Glad to know I'm destroying civilisation.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe you should stop destroying civilization then

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I don't know how to have my best friend not murder me. His girlfriend broke up with him because she found out that he's friends with me, at first because he's not allowed to talk to any other women for any reason and then later because she found out that I'm trans and will therefore condemn him to hell... I made the mistake of telling him good riddance, because holy gently caress of course, but he's not ready to see it yet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sinestro posted:

I don't know how to have my best friend not murder me. His girlfriend broke up with him because she found out that he's friends with me, at first because he's not allowed to talk to any other women for any reason and then later because she found out that I'm trans and will therefore condemn him to hell... I made the mistake of telling him good riddance, because holy gently caress of course, but he's not ready to see it yet.

I'd just avoid him for as long as you can to let things cool down.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Sinestro posted:

Wooooow yeah he well rid of her.

Im with Rhyno lay low for a bit till he sees it for himself.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

Sinestro posted:

Tell him to get a girl's name tattooed on his chest. I have a couple of those and it's really great for weeding out jealous types.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Maybe you should stop destroying civilization then

I don't like parts of civilisation as it stands, since the facade of democracy allows me no real way to affect beneficial change I'm training my kids to maintain dunebuggies and fire crossbows so they'll be the leading class of the post apocalyptic society.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I don't like parts of civilisation as it stands, since the facade of democracy allows me no real way to affect beneficial change I'm training my kids to maintain dunebuggies and fire crossbows so they'll be the leading class of the post apocalyptic society.

Don't forget about the boomerangs

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sinestro posted:

Give it a couple of months * and the he'll be grateful to you for the rest of his life for dodging that crazy bullet.

*whenever he next has sex.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Right so a 20-year age range are all treated exactly the same lumped under a banner it's convenient to call whatever you want.

generations as we think of them are defined by shared experiences. those shared experiences shape the attitudes, actions, and worldviews of the cohort that grew up with them. generational divides tend to form around major paradigm shifts in thought, politics, business, or daily life, as the older groups will always see those shifts as "the new way things are" whereas the younger generation, not remembering a world without them, simply takes them as "the way things are"

so it's never going to be beep-boop precise. it's always going to involve generalizations. but talking about "generations" and the divides between them is a useful way of discussing the effects of shared experiences and worldview.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

millenials are usually quoted as "beginning" in the early or mid-eighties because people first started using that term to refer to people passing through adolescence around the year 2000, and the significant differences in behavior, attitudes, and worldview they were showing relative to people born even a few years before. trends we now largely associate with millenials were already starting then, like disinterest in cars and car culture and expectation of everything being online. Those trends just kept right on ramping up and there hasn't really been another generational rift yet, so the term originally used to refer to "the first generation to get cellphones in high school en masse" has expanded, and kept expanding, to include people for whom "the post-9/11 world" is just "the world".

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Don't forget about the boomerangs

Ah now Boomerangs arent actually used to hit your target! They were more used to startle birds and kangaroos into traps. The non returning ones that are used for direct animal stunning / killing are better caleld throwing sticks or Kylies. Also used as clubs, digging sticks and Corroboree instruments.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

the spyder posted:

i just split the sidewall of my BMW's front tire on my lift. I'm both pissed and yet laughing because I just can't believe it happened. $600 later and I'll have a new set. Ugh.

Yesterday I delivered to someone with a beautiful 80s BMW. I asked him about it... 1986 8 series, convertible. Bought it in GA, tried to drive it home. Took it to a tire shop, discovered it had the original metric wheels on it.. and likely tires, as they just crumbled when they dismounted them.... then tire shop realized "oh poo poo, we don't have metric tires". So he wound up buying new wheels just to get some rubber on it to complete the trip.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Am I the only person who is getting more progressive(*) the older they get......?

Same thing here. Was raised very conservative, religious, homophobic, and most of all, racist.

I'd like to think that today, i'm none of the above, though the older I get, the more respect I develop for religion (still consider myself atheist, but occasionally attend UU services - see it more as a way to learn about other religions and to meet others)

sirnollem posted:

I can't stand GM for lighting up the reverse lights when you unlock them. Makes parking lots super fun.

My blood pressure just shot up 20 points reading this.

Drives me loving crazy when a GM pulls the "oh I see you've turned off the car at night, HERE LET ME GO AHEAD AND LIGHT EVERYTHING UP FOR YOU" poo poo, and I think they're backing out, so I stop and wait. NOPE, just the "LET ME LIGHT UP EVERYTHING AND HELP YOU SEE/PISS OFF EVERYONE ELSE/RUN DOWN YOUR BATTERY THAT'S ABOUT TO poo poo THE BED" poo poo.

Fermented Tinal posted:

I still think nothing says freedom like a full fuel tank.

I dunno, I think freedom is a shopping cart.

Darchangel posted:

Amazon created the system. If "cheating" is the only way to make it work, then it's a broken system.

One of my friend's cars had a socket that could be switched from ignition to battery with some combination of key and dash switches (before touchscreen everything.) Kinda nice. I rewired one of the one's in my wife's Kia to be switched, but left the one inside the center console battery for charging. Or I rewired the one in the console to be battery. I forget. My Crown Vic has one of each - the power point is switched, the actual cigarette lighter is battery. One of each, or selectable seems the best choice to me.

I wound up with more hours than I wanted today. They were releasing them in 4 hour chunks instead of 2 hour chunks, then dribbling 2 hour chunks out later. I wanted to work 10-4. Wound up working 10-6 (though I didn't get a route for 4-6, since they sent me to Lewisville, Frisco, and MCKINNEY on my 2-4 route - no way in hell could I make it back in 2 hours). I could have released the 2-6 chunk I picked up, but didn't want to risk not getting a 2-4 chunk to replace it. It's an extra $36 in my pocket, at least.

Still... in the 3 days that I've been aggressively che.. I mean, having really fast fingers :quagmire: even while driving, I've maxed out the number of hours I can work in the day (8 hours).

The only programming I can change in my car is if the doors auto lock/auto unlock. If it were automatic it would lock when taken out of park, unlock when put back into park. Mine being manual, it locks once I get over 5 MPH, and unlocks when I shut off the car. When I got it, it was programmed to not lock, and to unlock when shut off. I've been carjacked before, and as a pizza guy, had someone try to rob me (while in my car.. with power windows... while I had the engine on, it ended hilariously) once... you better believe I turned on the auto lock.

I finally got my work phone back on. The way I've been doing it for the past week is running a wifi tether app that hides tethering (I have Cricket, so if I even look at the built-in tethering, I get a popup telling me I don't have tethering), tethering my 2nd phone to it solely for GPS apps, and leaving the Amazon app running with my super fast fingers. But that wifi tether app sucked so much power that my main phone would be half dead (while plugged in) within a few hours. Work phone is on a $25 plan ($12.50 for the first month) with unlimited talk and text, and 2GB of data, and seems to be a T-Mobile MVNO. I don't see Amazon's app and Waze using more than that unless I turn on satellite view.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Am I the only person who is getting more progressive(*) the older they get......?

(I know there's plenty but GG some days the mind loving boggles how yesterday's hippies have become today's conservative fucktards)

(*) And I dont mean Liberal. Liberal to me means Libertarian and that poo poo is no loving way to run a decent functional society

You're absolutely not. I used to be bog-standard Midwestern stick in the mud conservative. 9/11 and the cynical abuse of public sentiment and patriotism afterward, and learning enough about the economy to understand that if there's such a thing as a just world, we sure as gently caress aren't living in it changed my tune.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sinestro posted:

She sounds like a right catch and if he can't see she's blatantly a complete arsehole then he can get hosed too.

I expect he'll come round though. I'm hoping he'll come round.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I think the problem with promoting the idea that Baby Boomers encouraged kids to take hefty school loans ignores that:
1. Most of the boomers didn't have to
2. Boomers are the ones who directly profited from the student loan industry.
3. Boomers are the ones who put new barriers to the employment market like demanding experience for entry level position and gutting the advancement ladder.

Saying it's millennials fault for trying to use the same ladder their parents did ignores that the ladder was purposefully destroyed by their parents generation to benefit boomers directly.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CommieGIR posted:

2. Boomers are the ones who directly profited from the student loan industry.

Very, very few have profited from the student loan industry. That's straight bank-industrial complex profit right there. But those in it? Profit big league.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

It is ok as those saddled with huge student debt will still be able to get a house with a 1% down mortgage that is only 5 points above the base rate or they could just rent like plebians I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I read the first book of The Expanse series. This is much better mindless pulp scifi - why didn't anyone recommend this to me instead of that awful Baxter/Pratchett crapfest?

• Locked thread