Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Cy, I know you're eager and that's a minor one, but please try to be careful about spoilers.

Edit: What a way to start a new page, I don't want to kill discussion, just try to be careful about revealing too much of what's actually going on.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jan 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Cy, I know you're eager and that's a minor one, but please try to be careful about spoilers.

Edit: What a way to start a new page, I don't want to kill discussion, just try to be careful about revealing too much of what's actually going on.

Sorry, I'll shut up.

I have strong feelings about Fallen Empire/Eternal Throne and by and large they're not good ones, but I'll duck out of the thread now.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

Sorry, I'll shut up.

I have strong feelings about Fallen Empire/Eternal Throne and by and large they're not good ones, but I'll duck out of the thread now.

I'm not trying to chase you out, just try to be careful about talking about things that're still chapters out.

Talk about how every character we're going to meet is a member of Shepard's Mass Effect 2 crew instead. Lana is Miranda.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

When does T7 get a sexy robot butt?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Soon-ish.

I'd tell you the chapter number but then I'd be breaking my own spoiler rules.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I was only kidding. :negative:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
So was I.

Maybe.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

The emperor's actions re:Zakuul reminds me of Jeff Daniels character from Looper.

"The guy was sent back in time to run this program, got bored and created a criminal empire just because he could!"

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm not trying to chase you out, just try to be careful about talking about things that're still chapters out.

Talk about how every character we're going to meet is a member of Shepard's Mass Effect 2 crew instead. Lana is Miranda.

Is the droid Jacob?

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Is the droid Jacob?

Who?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Is the droid Jacob?

No, Jacob is Koth. T7 is closer to Mordin - serves vitally important yet vaguely explained plot purposes.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Is the droid Jacob?

You mean Jason, right?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Psycho Landlord posted:

You mean Jason, right?

Let's keep the six year old joke dead and buried where it belongs, thanks. Or at least confined to ME threads.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Why do you hate fun, Psion

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I am not dead, but I have been busy with difficulties in the lab (still-in-the-lab-at-10-pm-on-a-Sunday difficulties) sooo I'm still hoping to get that next update out any day now!

Just wanted to swing by and enjoy the latest of Mort's adventures. Was that a familiar Sith face I spied bowing to the Eternal Throne?

And as for the "kill the messenger" trope, you know what you never see? Villains who kill people who bring good news. It'd vary things up to see a maniac villain pleased by some underling then dump them into the piranha pit anyway because hey, that's still fun.

Strange Forest
Mar 4, 2015

Dolash posted:

And as for the "kill the messenger" trope, you know what you never see? Villains who kill people who bring good news. It'd vary things up to see a maniac villain pleased by some underling then dump them into the piranha pit anyway because hey, that's still fun.
That would be an interesting way of demonstrating craziness in a villain.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
You can usually tell whether or not someone's read the List Of Rules Evil Overlords by how often an underling is executed for a minor infraction, or bringing bad news, or just being there when someone's in a bad mood.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Knights of the Fallen Empire Update 6: Deal With It

Click for Video

What’s happening?

Nothing I can’t handle, but we need to move the pickup!
We don’t have time for this.
Well, if I land now, I’ll be shot to pieces. So just think of it as a personal favor to me, huh? Duck through another tower and I’ll find you.
Watch your back out there.
My number-one pastime these days….
Always love our little excursions, Lana. Back with you shortly.
Where did you recruit our getaway pilot?
He’s a native of Zakuul, believe it or not. Emperor Arcann wields great power now, but not all of his people support him blindly.

So much for that brave door that gave you so much trouble.
Shut up.

We have to keep moving.

Wonderful. An elevator to have a conversation in.

Was that our ride?

Are you sure you thawed me completely? You didn’t leave one of my lungs frozen as a practical joke?

What’s happening?
It’s Vaylin! She’ll bring the whole city crashing down on you if she has to!
Lana? Are my scanners glitched? Did you just charge headfirst into a Skytrooper droid factory?
Vaylin’s almost on us! We’re out of options.

This is Altair Three all over again….

Koth, what’s your status?
Hostiles on my tail still, but I’ve got tricks they haven’t seen yet.
Woah!

Koth? Koth.
That one they’ve seen before. Got to go, I’ll keep my ears on!
Reactor instability detected. Emergency evacuation is in effect.
Wait…
Catastrophic reactor failure imminent…
What happened to the reactor? That wasn’t you, was it?
Vaylin happened.

Evacuate the tower. Achieve minimum safe distance.
Vaylin did that? Guess you were right about your outlander!

Click for Video

Oh no. No no no. I know that look.

Don’t you dare!

Half the city will go dark, but the countless thousands who live and work here will have a chance!
Don’t these buildings extend up out of Zakuul’s atmosphere? I’d think there’d be more than ‘countless thousands’ living in one.
Do you see? This is how far they’ll go to stop you. We need to get you offworld now!

Relax, I took a course in giant fusion reactor maintenance back on Korriban.
Really? That’s gr--!

Of course not.
I was only on Korriban for like, three days. Tops.
I have no idea what I’m doing.

Hurry!
Relax, it’s going to be fine.

Relaxing didn’t work so well! Now what do you propose to do?

Whatever I can.

We’re going to die!

Go wait for Koth!

I’m not leaving you!

It isn’t working!

It isn’t?

Not until I’ve tried one last thing.
And that thing would be?
What I’m best at.

Stabbing things.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Yeah. Anyone who thought Mort couldn't shut off a miniature sun he knew nothing about, is very stupid.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is there anybody who would canonically know how to shut down a reactor among the protagonists?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The inquisitor is really into esoteric super tech, so maybe?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Glazius posted:

Is there anybody who would canonically know how to shut down a reactor among the protagonists?

Agent would be your best bet, probably. Then again this is Zakuul with one of their special super-duper sun reactors which are by all appearances actual stars in miniature that Zakuul uses for power so who the gently caress knows.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If Spiderman 2 taught me anything, it's that the proper disposal method for those is to drop them in the Hudson river.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Gambling with the Fate of the Galaxy is kind of what we do lady.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

Cythereal posted:

Agent would be your best bet, probably. Then again this is Zakuul with one of their special super-duper sun reactors which are by all appearances actual stars in miniature that Zakuul uses for power so who the gently caress knows.

In the same vein, Smuggler and Trooper might have actual chance. Either from hotwiring, tuning ships etc or applied demolitions courses.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm pretty sure the solution to this sequence is always stab/shoot the thingy, get knocked on your rear end, choose the "deal with it" conversation option on the wheel.

:dealwithit:

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
No idea what the non 'light side' resolution there is (feels like it missing a neutral, there is a middle ground between let them burn, or, I'll save them!), but the goodie goodie one feels cheap to me. Ever since Marrs ship got boarded the enemy has seemed like an actual threat. They have essentially beaten you twice. Vaylin there made me think of Nemesis in Resident Evil 3; you've got something you really can't handle on your rear end, you gotta go, now. And then she pulls out all the stops to finish you off! ...and you neutralise it pretty easy with no issues. And any sort of tension is completely removed.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be a light side resolution, but considering this is essentially TOR2, having some big impact on what is essentially a 'sacrifice' option feels like it be appropriate. I mean Lana sacrificing herself to save you considering what a big deal she made of it would be a good gut punch at this point or people blindly picking the lightside option without thinking of the consequences. I mean I get in reality that will never happen considering the waste of assets that would be but eh.

But the Imperial Agent should be able to disarm a circuit with a sun as a power source; she does have experience with Star Cables.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Welcome to Knights of the Fallen Empire, a story even more railroaded than the Jedi Knight story.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Paused posted:

No idea what the non 'light side' resolution there is

This is one of the themes in Knights of the Fallen Empire. Light Side choices make things harder for you* while Dark Side Choices let you skip irritating bullshit. It's doing the right thing vs. the Quick and Easy Path, and I do approve of the intent even if the execution is often... lacking.

In this case, the Dark Side option is to walk away immediately, the plant explodes and the city has a blackout because why would any part of the last bit change? Also a bunch of people die and Koth gets really whiny about it so in the end the Light Side option is preferable.

Edit: Choosing a Dark Side option nearly always leads to someone complaining at you after the fact.

*You have to fight more groups of trash mobs

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 23, 2017

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
I understand the need for rail roading. The decision to either escape or ramming speed! On Marrs ship was obviously going to end up with the same result, but it added a small roleplaying element. Ram the Ship is what Mort would do. Jo'llune would try to escape saving as many as she could. Both were hopeless but fine.
In this case, save the the people who are going to be killed as a result of himself being rescued, is of course like wise what Mort would do. But this is the first meaningful interaction the player has with the new enemy. Lana is seriously suggesting that for whatever reason, going 'gray' is in the long term, the right course of action. (Which is basically Mort in a nutshell.)

But the lightside choice in this case is actively undermining what the game is showing you.

You've essentially been killed,
you're being chased by an opponent who is being shown to be far beyond you,
your closest ally who the PC admits is far more in the loop than themselves is telling you this is the wrong choice,
you're still too weak from the cryofreeze to cross a bridge.
the big bad, to paraphrase G0-T0 from KOTOR2, has decided to go with the last course of action, costly but certain first.

But you ignore all that and are ok. I get my suggestion that Lana gets killed is unrealistic out of universe, but something should happen.
I mean, with what seems to be available in the game, yeah, this is what I'd imagine Mort to do. But at first glance when I saw the screenshot of Lana telling Mort shes taking him with him if he likes or not, I thought she'd pulled a gun on him.

Like she'd stun him and get him back to the ship somehow. You're proven to be wrong with underestimating the enemy. The 'correct' light side option is to admit defeat and escape earlier, and then when you get to your ship, help who you can escape. Billions still die of course, but you saved what you could, without completely removing the sense of urgency the enemy had until this point.

You also end up in the same railroaded point without alot of issues, despite potentially making more sense? I mean, the next segment in the lp in theory could have billions of people dead or not. My half arsed fanfiction would railroad you to billions dead plus or minus like 20 guys. Which is much easier to ignore.

Edit now Ive seen poptarts post

PoptartsNinja posted:

This is one of the themes in Knights of the Fallen Empire. Light Side choices make things harder for you* while Dark Side Choices let you skip irritating bullshit. It's doing the right thing vs. the Quick and Easy Path, and I do approve of the intent even if the execution is often... lacking.
*You have to find more groups of trash mobs

I had kinda guessed this may be the case. I guess it's better than nothing?

It kinda highlights another issuer with the update where your PC can't run across a bridge yet is instantly ready for more Robots next line.

I'm not trying to be a kill joy, just seems like a bunch of small things have made the game jump back the many steps it had taken since the expansion. At least Lannas hair is still ok.

Paused fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 23, 2017

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

BioWare pretty much never punishes Light Side/Paragon/Nice Guy choices, though, right? The backlash would be too annoying.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

BioWare pretty much never punishes Light Side/Paragon/Nice Guy choices, though, right? The backlash would be too annoying.

They do, but I can't talk about it yet.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

It's not common, but especially in the Dragon Age series they have a tendency to take ambiguous decisions and in later DLC or sequels make one choice clearly wrong or otherwise heavily punish one. This does apply to TOR as well. For a big example, the decision to kneel or not to Valkorion in the opening to Fallen Empire. Think that hey, the Sith Empire and Galactic Republic are both full of loving morons so let's give door number three a shot sounds like a good idea? Yeah, no, it's a bad decision though there's no real gameplay-affecting punishment to it as far as I know (beyond everyone in the story calling you a moron).

There's also very few points in Fallen Empire where you aren't in an instance moving in a straight line through eighty skytroopers, six silver-level assault droids, three gold-level Knights of Zakuul, and a star boss you've never heard of before and will never mention again but is totally an important figure to Zakuul and killing him is a major victory.

That's one of the things that kills Fallen Empire for me, how lazy and repetitive the gameplay design is. There aren't as many unique maps as you might expect of the expansion, and no joke 80-90 percent of the enemies in this expansion are skytroopers and variants thereof that use the generic skytrooper model.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Kneeling to an NPC sounds like a bad idea though considering.

Unless it's Treek; I mean making her crain her neck all the time just to chat is just rude considering.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Knights of the Fallen Empire Update 7: Return of Another Copy of the Character that Everyone Loved in 2003 (Who We Killed Earlier in the LP (Twice))!

Why did you draw your lightsabers?
Because this is a puzzle room.

What’s the puzzle?
Kill everything in the room.

Really?
I didn’t say it was a particularly good puzzle.

The dark should help cover our escape.
Not as well as a massive explosion would have, but it will do. Koth, where are you?

How bad is it?
It’s not great, but we’re on top of it.

Hang tight. Hope you’re not scared of the dark.
You do what you have to. We’ll be waiting.
Let’s find a place to lie low and--
Not an option.

Intruder alert! Intruder alert! Get the humanoid!

So much for the cover-of-darkness theory.

Vaylin’s nothing if not persistent.

Damning her with faint praise there.

Click for Video (Recommended Viewing)

Didn’t we just do this bit?

Doctrine?
Grayer than my shirt.
Draw your lightsabers and let’s--

You are a wanted fugitive! Surrender now!

So he can come after us again?

Not what I’d call a sound strategy.
We’re going to be fighting against their new emperor. He’ll tell them we’re monsters. I want to show them something different.
We can worry about public relations after you’re safely away from here.

Vaylin.

Deus Ex Vortena.
Come on!

Woah!

Shut the gently caress up, Joker.
Hang on! I’m going to punch it!

The problem with Knights of the Fallen Empire dot JPG

Hold onto your gratitude. We’re not even close to safe.

Guns locked on!
They’re preparing to fire Ubiquitous Cannons!
Get us out of here!
Trying to!
Come on… come on….

Whoo!
Thank you, Teeseven! We owe you one.
Yeah, really.
Lament: No one has thanked me.
I appreciate the save.
Humility: It was nothing.

I told you we’d succeed.
You left out the part where I’d lose my ship.
Lana, I don’t know if you’ve heard yet, but the Emperor--he killed Darth Marr.
Yes, his absence has been felt by many.
For quite some time, right?
It’s going to be a short trip. Might want to start briefing your friend here on what’s been going on the last five years.
HK, make yourself useful. Check the stabilizers.

The Outlander?
No, he’s gone.
Gone?
I don’t care what it takes. I want him found.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Poor Lana she just wants to get you to safety and you keep ruining her plans by throwing yourself into danger. Also nice to see Vaylin is continuing with her I am completely insane so I will kill my own people procedure. Also I like HK-55 he has at least some more personality than the other versions we have met.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cythereal posted:

Welcome to Knights of the Fallen Empire, a story even more railroaded than the Jedi Knight story.

I have thought about going back to my old account just for the xpac storyline, but I also don't think I'm really missing out that much either just by watching all the story scenes online.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I'm glad that choice to spare that guy had such an impact.

Still, I will give the writers credit, the "if he's immortal, how did I kill him" line was actually funny.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
The guns on that ship must be pretty puny if that many blasts couldn't break through that metal flooring... which, now that I check again, I see wasn't solid, but full of holes. They could have had her deflecting all those shots back at the ship, bombarding it with its own guns. That would have been much more impressive than that display of incompetence. It would have seemed like she was actually trying to stop them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Vaylin makes more sense if you think of her less as Valkorion's daughter and more as his pet cat.

• Locked thread