Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

GobiasIndustries posted:

Do USB 2.0 ports on a desktop PC provide a standard amperage? I've got 2 small devices that need ~200mA to run, I was wondering if I could power them off the ports of my desktop, it's a Phenom II X4 processor, not sure the exact motherboard right now.

USB 2 should handle that fine. Typically most computers push 500mA down USB 2 without additional power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

GobiasIndustries posted:

Do USB 2.0 ports on a desktop PC provide a standard amperage? I've got 2 small devices that need ~200mA to run, I was wondering if I could power them off the ports of my desktop, it's a Phenom II X4 processor, not sure the exact motherboard right now.

Yeah, you can generally guarantee 500mA @ 5V from any USB port.

Edit: but it might only allow 100mA without enumeration

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jan 16, 2017

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I guess it varies between different hardware, but is there an accepted number USB ports to hang from each motherboard header before you're gonna start seeing power delivery going down the pan?

I'm thinking of those cheap multi-card readers with 4xUSB, an SD, microSD, memory stick etc etc.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The USB specification only requires 100 mA to be delivered unless the device negotiates for more.

Most USB ports these days will supply the full 500 mA, but don’t count on it.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Something like a card reader is tricky to predict precisely if it's taking power from the USB header, although I would hope and expect that it won't use a substantial amount unless actually accessing a card. Ports shouldn't use any power at all unless they are in use, and even a passive hub from a front bay that turns 2 ports into 4 wouldn't take much. If you start daisy-chaining unpowered hubs I expect that the voltage drop would cause issues before the passive power draw from the hub takes enough current to be noticeable.

A lot of desktops and some more recent laptops have a feature to deliver more power from some or all of the ports than the 500mA allowed by USB1/2 spec or 900mA allowed by USB3, so I would definitely check into that if this is a practical and not academic query. For example, some recent NUCs have a yellow USB3 port that can provide up to 1500mA.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

My computer can't play witcher 3

Vaio unibody desktop SVL241290X

Core i7 3630
2.4 ghz

16gb ram

Can the CPU be upgraded or am I just SOL

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

FizFashizzle posted:

My computer can't play witcher 3

Vaio unibody desktop SVL241290X

Core i7 3630
2.4 ghz

16gb ram

Can the CPU be upgraded or am I just SOL

Your CPU isn't the absolute latest, but it's not slow enough to be the problem; it'll almost certainly be lovely graphics that's the problem, and with an all-in-one, there's little hope of upgrading the GPU...

Might want to find out what graphics actually are in the machine already though, just so we know. Try running Speccy, makes this easy..

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 16, 2017

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah I found a picture of the motherboard for that machine, and the CPU is socketed so in theory any CPU in the same family with a similar TDP should be fine. HalloKitty is right though: it's likely the graphics chip that'll hold you back.

Just get a PS4 at that point.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Sigh. Oh well.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

My friend gave me his old RAM when he upgraded.

My current RAM

The RAM he gave me

Can I combine this new RAM with the old and have a total of 24GB? or do I need to use just the ones he gave me and go to 16GB?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Schroeder91 posted:

My current RAM

The RAM he gave me

Can I combine this new RAM with the old and have a total of 24GB? or do I need to use just the ones he gave me and go to 16GB?

You can use all 24GB but it'll run at 1600MHz by default.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Schroeder91 posted:

My current RAM

The RAM he gave me

If you use all 24 GB at once, it will operate as slowly as the first 8 GB of sticks do. If you use just the newer 16 GB, you will be able to use their full speed.

The faster speed would really help in many recent games like Fallout 4 and GTA V that benefit a lot from increased memory speeds, but if you're doing things that need a lot of RAM but aren't gaming, you might be fine with just having a whole 24 GB of RAM that operates slower.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

It's a gaming PC and not much else, so I think I'll just use the 16gb then. Thanks

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I'm kinda bad at explaining, but here goes.

I have 2x GTX980 in SLI and I use a projector as my computer screen. This projector wants (prefers maybe) a HDMI connection, the other day I got VR googles (Oculus) that also want the HDMI connection.
I was hoping to have both things at the same time, so i popped the projector into the HDMI port on the second 980 with the VR in the first 980, but nothing happens then. Is there a way to do this with HDMI cables and have both at the same time?

edit: OS is windows 10

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Schroeder91 posted:

It's a gaming PC and not much else, so I think I'll just use the 16gb then. Thanks

What motherboard do you have? Your motherboard might not support the highest speed that the RAM your friend gave you is capable of, and will run at same speed of your original RAM, or only slightly faster.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Dongattack posted:

I'm kinda bad at explaining, but here goes.

I have 2x GTX980 in SLI and I use a projector as my computer screen. This projector wants (prefers maybe) a HDMI connection, the other day I got VR googles (Oculus) that also want the HDMI connection.
I was hoping to have both things at the same time, so i popped the projector into the HDMI port on the second 980 with the VR in the first 980, but nothing happens then. Is there a way to do this with HDMI cables and have both at the same time?

edit: OS is windows 10

I assume your implication here is that you only have one HDMI port per card?

I am pretty sure that you should be able to plug HDMI into the second card and have it work. I'm like 90% sure you can do it with DisplayPort at least, because I read that's how you do SLI Surround setups nowadays. Maybe it just wasn't recognizing it right, did you try a restart with it plugged in? Have you tried disabling SLI and seeing if it runs at the desktop? As far as I know, not too many VR games actually support SLI/CrossFire.

Moving on to plan B: DVI is basically HDMI (minus some differences in resolution support at the bleeding edges), so you should be able to get a cheap DVI-to-HDMI adapter and plug your projector into that. Plan C: DisplayPort can also feed HDMI devices with a passive adapter. It's your choice either way but sometimes [edit:Dual-]Mode DisplayPort can be a little finicky about recognizing so I'd go with DVI first.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 18, 2017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Paul MaudDib posted:

I assume your implication here is that you only have one HDMI port per card?

Yes! Thank you, I got it to work with the help of your post, I followed your suggestions in order:
I tried restarting the computer with the projector plugged into the second SLI card, but nothing happened. Then I tried disabling SLI, but no dice. However while i was there i noticed a option that seemed like it was relevant, "Span displays with Surround". I set SLI to do that and the projector came alive, but in the end I couldn't get it to work right and went back to "Maximize 3D performance". When i did that the projector continues to work. I don't know why, feels like the second GPU needed a reminder of what it could do or something, but now it works at least.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Stupid question: when you go to install a CPU, do you just gently place the processor on top of the socket and then close the latch and lock it into place? Or are you you supposed to place it on the socket then push it down, then secure it?

I finally got the RMA for my motherboard that has been giving me issues for over a month. When I installed the CPU the first time I did the former -- just gently placed it "on top" of the socket, and now I've been wondering if I installed it wrong and damaged something the first time :ohdear:

Intel, if that makes a difference. I've never built an AMD computer.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 18, 2017

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sab669 posted:

Stupid question: when you go to install a CPU, do you just gently place the processor on top of the socket and then close the latch and lock it into place? Or are you you supposed to place it on the socket then push it down, then secure it?

I finally got the RMA for my motherboard that has been giving me issues for over a month. When I installed the CPU the first time I did the former -- just gently placed it "on top" of the socket, and now I've been wondering if I installed it wrong and damaged something the first time :ohdear:

Intel, if that makes a difference. I've never built an AMD computer.

You just put it in the socket, no pushing down (the retention bracket closing will do that). Just make sure the keying is correct (little plastic nubs in the socket that prevent it from being out of place or in the wrong orientation). There's a triangle marked on the corner of the CPU that goes to the marked corner on the socket to help get the correct orientation as well.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

OK that's what I thought, but just one of those things where you doubt yourself and then will never remember :v: just been afraid that I might've damaged the CPU/Mobo and my claim wouldn't be covered by the warranty. Can't wait to go home and rebuild my computer. It's been way too long to go without one.

Edit: Oh my god it feels so good to have everything back :neckbeard:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 18, 2017

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

teagone posted:

What motherboard do you have? Your motherboard might not support the highest speed that the RAM your friend gave you is capable of, and will run at same speed of your original RAM, or only slightly faster.

ASRock H97M Pro4 

Looks like it only supports up to 1600. Guess I'll use all 24gb then! Really wish I could afford to upgrade my PC :(

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Schroeder91 posted:

ASRock H97M Pro4 

Looks like it only supports up to 1600. Guess I'll use all 24gb then! Really wish I could afford to upgrade my PC :(

Ehh, at least you have 24GB of DDR3 now! DDR3 RAM is relatively expensive to come by these days. I only have 8GB of DDR3 1600 :( I did upgrade my videocard to a GTX 1060 6GB though, and am still stuck with my Core i5 4570. If Ryzen turns out to be good and cheap, I might make the jump back to an AMD CPU/mainboard for my next upgrade.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Rexxed posted:

You just put it in the socket, no pushing down (the retention bracket closing will do that). Just make sure the keying is correct (little plastic nubs in the socket that prevent it from being out of place or in the wrong orientation). There's a triangle marked on the corner of the CPU that goes to the marked corner on the socket to help get the correct orientation as well.

Does anyone else place the CPU into the socket and then give it a little 1mm lateral wiggle to make sure it's seated before closing the clasp?

Am I alone in being a little wiggler??

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe
I think that's my method, now that we've moved to LGA

Used to be they'd just fall in the socket, but that hasn't been the case for a while now...unless you go AMD!

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

apropos man posted:

Does anyone else place the CPU into the socket and then give it a little 1mm lateral wiggle to make sure it's seated before closing the clasp?

Nope, I'm a wiggler as well, although I don't think there's 1mm of slop in the socket, maybe .5mm. Crossing my fingers, but I've never hosed up an LGA socket yet.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

apropos man posted:

I twist the heatsink a little once it is clamped on, to spread the thermal paste a bit more.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I have an old Thinkpad that I want to add a (low profile) WiFi adapter to. Is there any problem with putting a modern adapter into what's probably USB 1.1 at best? Any problems with power delivery on USB 1.1 that might hurt transmit power?

It'll be running under Linux. Is there a chipset that's better supported/more featured than others? Especially around things like promiscuous mode/etc.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Paul MaudDib posted:

I have an old Thinkpad that I want to add a (low profile) WiFi adapter to. Is there any problem with putting a modern adapter into what's probably USB 1.1 at best? Any problems with power delivery on USB 1.1 that might hurt transmit power?

It'll be running under Linux. Is there a chipset that's better supported/more featured than others? Especially around things like promiscuous mode/etc.

Does your ThinkPad not have a PCMCIA slot? That'd be the way to go if it has one, there's tons of 802.11n cards out there and you won't need to worry about compatibility.

Otherwise, many of those adapters won't function properly without a full USB 2.0 port. This can range from not operating at all, to unstable connections, to just having terrible signal transmit/receive. You'll probably need to research each individual device you're considering to try to figure out if it's compatible with USB 1.1

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

fishmech posted:

Does your ThinkPad not have a PCMCIA slot? That'd be the way to go if it has one, there's tons of 802.11n cards out there and you won't need to worry about compatibility.

Otherwise, many of those adapters won't function properly without a full USB 2.0 port. This can range from not operating at all, to unstable connections, to just having terrible signal transmit/receive. You'll probably need to research each individual device you're considering to try to figure out if it's compatible with USB 1.1

It does, I was just hoping to avoid that. It'll be higher-profile, more expensive, and I worry about compatibility problems. But if USB isn't going to work, it isn't going to work. Oh well, I had suspicions it might not work well, thanks for saving me :10bux:.

It's a model A21e, so it has a Type III slot that (thankfully) appears to support both 16-bit and 32-bit cards. I found an IBM 802.11 a/b/g card (FRU 31P9101) appears to be compatible ("PC Card Std slots: 1 Type I, 1 Type II, or 1 Type III / CardBus 32-bit / PCMCIA 2.1 / no Zoomed Video"), so I threw one on order. It cost almost as much as I've spent on the rest of the project to date. Sadly no option for an RP-SMA external, but I couldn't find any cards with that at all. It is an Atheros chipset of some kind, though, which are supposedly one of the better ones for Linux compatibility.

Is there a technical difference between "32-bit PC Card/PCMCIA Type III" and "Cardbus"?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 19, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Paul MaudDib posted:

It does, I was just hoping to avoid that. It'll be higher-profile, more expensive, and I worry about compatibility problems. But if USB isn't going to work, it isn't going to work. Oh well, I had suspicions it might not work well, thanks for saving me :10bux:.

It's a model A21e, so it has a Type III slot that (thankfully) appears to support both 16-bit and 32-bit cards. I found an IBM 802.11 a/b/g card (FRU 31P9101) appears to be compatible ("PC Card Std slots: 1 Type I, 1 Type II, or 1 Type III / CardBus 32-bit / PCMCIA 2.1 / no Zoomed Video"), so I threw one on order. It cost almost as much as I've spent on the rest of the project to date. Sadly no option for an RP-SMA external, but I couldn't find any cards with that at all. It is an Atheros chipset of some kind, though, which are supposedly one of the better ones for Linux compatibility.

Is there a technical difference between "32-bit PC Card/PCMCIA Type III" and "Cardbus"?

CardBus means its of pretty much the last common PCMCIA card type - 32 bit, 33 MHz PCI bus based. Older plain pre-version 5.0 PCMCIA cards used a modified 16 bit version of the ISA bus.

Type II and Type III refer mainly to the size of the slots, CardBus/32 bit cards were available that were in either the smaller type II or larger type III size. A typical example of a Type III card would be those "realport" network cards that had a full size ethernet or modem port on the end, without need to stick out much or have a dongle attached. Usually the card bay can fit two Type II cards at once, or one Type III.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I bought windows 8, OEM version, and upgraded to windows 10 free.

If I get a new motherboard and CPU, am I going to have to buy windows again?

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Yeah. Windows will recognize the new mobo as a new computer.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
OEM just means you have no customer support and will have to register your license manually via Microsoft's telephone registration system.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Orange Sunshine posted:

I bought windows 8, OEM version, and upgraded to windows 10 free.

If I get a new motherboard and CPU, am I going to have to buy windows again?
You can do a clean install of Windows 10 on new hardware using the Windows 8 key with the currently available install media and get a fresh new digital license (still, I think?). But it's an option Microsoft can retract at any time. Ditto for installing Windows 8 on new hardware, activating it with a phonecall to Microsoft (as has historically been possible with OEM licenses but not digital licenses) and upgrading through the disability loophole. You'd still be good for running Windows 8.1 if that loophole is closed though.

However if you tie your digital license for Windows 10 to a Microsoft account now, transfer to a new computer should be possible through the activation troubleshooter later. A change of motherboard as well as having a digital license (formerly know as digital entitlement aka what you get from the free upgrade) are explicitly mentioned there.

unexplodable
Aug 13, 2003
I have two hard drives in my current PC, one with Windows 8.1 and one for data. I'm going to build a new PC and put Windows 10 on a new drive in it. Is it at all straightforward to then attach the old Windows 8.1 drive to the new PC and treat it like a data drive, accessing files on it without booting from it?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

unexplodable posted:

I have two hard drives in my current PC, one with Windows 8.1 and one for data. I'm going to build a new PC and put Windows 10 on a new drive in it. Is it at all straightforward to then attach the old Windows 8.1 drive to the new PC and treat it like a data drive, accessing files on it without booting from it?

Yes, simply attach it as you'd attach any other secondary drive, after you already set up Windows 10 on a new drive.

unexplodable
Aug 13, 2003

fishmech posted:

Yes, simply attach it as you'd attach any other secondary drive, after you already set up Windows 10 on a new drive.

Great, thanks!

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Eletriarnation posted:

Get one that claims a sine wave or "pure" (not simulated) sine wave output. I use this one. Notice how it says 1000VA/600W; this is because power supplies without Active PFC (as well as some other appliances, I think laser printers are infamous for this) will draw more power from the lines than they actually consume, so the VA measurement indicates how much power can be drawn and the W measurement is how much can be consumed. With Active PFC, you don't really have to care about that because the numbers are within 1% or so of each other.

Also, realize that getting a higher-wattage power supply is not going to increase the power draw of your computer unless you're moving from a high-efficiency supply to a lower efficiency one. The DC power draw will be determined by the load - that is, what components you're using - and the AC power draw from the wall or UPS will be equal to that plus some small proportion for conversion inefficiency. Most supplies worth having these days are at least 80% efficient, so the AC power drawn from your UPS will be at most 125% of the DC drawn from the power supply by the PC. Exceptional ones are 90+%. Also, efficiency tends to peak in the middle and drop off for loads near the PSU's limit or very small loads. For that reason, you'll get better efficiency under load from a power supply that has capacity to spare as long as you don't go nuts and get an 850W supply for your HTPC or something like that.
Okay, so if I get a 750W PSU the power draw wouldn't be a problem on a 600W UPS unless it draws more than 600W?

But I guess I need to buy a new UPS anyways? I'm using a UPS because the electricity at my house is pretty unreliable and I was afraid that it would damage my PSU over time.

So would buying this fix my problem? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00429N19W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_nPTEybD6K92C5?th=1

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 20, 2017

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, the 750W is a limit and not a static value. If you have a 275W 980Ti, a 100W processor, and 75W of other poo poo in your computer on a 90% efficient supply then it will only draw 500W from the wall/UPS even if it's rated for twice that.

If your current UPS is a simulated sine model and you plan on buying a new power supply with active PFC, then you should get something like that. You could maybe get away with a 600W model, but 900W will be less likely to crap out on you while you're redlining it playing games or something - especially since I assume you have at least one monitor plugged into it too. (e: That 810W model should be totally fine too, although it'll only save you $20.)

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Wondering if anyone has ran into this issue. Background, I have two 16:10 Dell monitors daisy chained with display port. My PC boots fine I see the post screen then the windows logo and then my monitors lose signal right as windows loads. If I turn them both off and on again they start working. Any loving clue what is happening?