Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I suspected that it wasn't actually true, as the Jaguar-based consoles are still single-channel. To find that games of any stripe would use quad-channel meaningfully when they don't even have access to dual-channel in a significant percentage of cases would have been a truly surprising revelation.

I await the day that this is no longer the case, but I suspect AMD had the same thought process after making the PS4, XBone, and their half-steps.

How are they single channel? They've got much bigger than the 64-bit bus that PCs communicate with RAM through. DDR4-3200 tops out at 25.6 GB/s per channel, so ~100GB/s in quad channel. Meanwhile the PS4 has 176GB/s of memory bandwidth, more than 50% more than quad channel DDR4-3200 and about 5x as much bandwidth as dual channel DDR4-2133!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I suspected that it wasn't actually true, as the Jaguar-based consoles are still single-channel. To find that games of any stripe would use quad-channel meaningfully when they don't even have access to dual-channel in a significant percentage of cases would have been a truly surprising revelation.

I await the day that this is no longer the case, but I suspect AMD had the same thought process after making the PS4, XBone, and their half-steps.
the console APUs use custom memory controllers, actually (dual channel GDDR5 for ps4, quad channel DDR3 for xbone) but it's used for graphics bandwidth most of the time, which leaves their effective memory bandwidth in most cases something like a single channel of DDR3-1866 in the ps4's case or a single channel of DDR3-1333 in the xbone's case

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Blame intel for not making a processor that significantly outdoes the 2600K. You want to kill upgrades among enthusiasts, that's the way to do it.

Relevant

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Uh, since when do games care about or "utilize" the amount of memory channels? Unless the game looks up system information, it's none the wiser about the memory layout.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

FaustianQ posted:

Well worry no more, apparently Zen natively supports DDR4 3200 through AMP, and DDR4 4000 through overclocking.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5o87m8/ryzen_imc_officially_supports_ddr43200_via_amp/

:ms: good time to buy ddr4-3200 right now!

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Uh, since when do games care about or "utilize" the amount of memory channels? Unless the game looks up system information, it's none the wiser about the memory layout.

Whenever they read things from memory?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

ohgodwhat posted:

Whenever they read things from memory?
High-lah-rious!

Point was, games don't give a poo poo about memory architecture on the PC. There's no code suddenly deciding to throttle the framerate because oops there's dual or quad channel. Neither is there code that tries to guess the interleaving and align things accordingly. Just because performance considerations were made for console systems, which happen to have single channel memory and related bandwidth caps, doesn't mean there isn't anything to be had on higher end systems. The case of FO4 shows that there's situations where you're bandwidth and not CPU limited (--edit: Yes, bandwidth, because default memory timings scale almost linearly with frequencies, so latency doesn't really change). Probably applies to more games that stream or generate world geometry, plus related assets, on the fly.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 16, 2017

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Sorry, I really did misread you. I thought you were implying games had to be programmed specifically to use dual or quad channel memory to see any improvements above single channel memory.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You want to kill upgrades among enthusiasts, that's the way to do it.

Let's go, enthusiasts are like audiophiles, ie. the worst.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

To get some articles for SwissArmyDruid to beat people with, the Digital Foundries testing of Fallout 4 is probably what Anime Schoolgirl was thinking of, but that testing is going from 1600 to 2400 which is just moving up from what I'd consider actually slow RAM to something modern (Hello, I'm still using DDR2-800). Here's one comparing averages and minimums over 2133, 2666, and 3200; and two vs four sticks on TechBuyersGuru for a lot of the games other people were claiming were memory dependent. Also AnandTech but that was three gpu revisions ago, drat.

I'd be willing to say that beyond 2666 is the point of diminishing returns for modern RAM. Though there are some 3200 sticks with much more competitive timings at 14-14-14-34 now, but nobody has bothered benching them that I can find.

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 16, 2017

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Boiled Water posted:

Audiophiles make anything in consumer PC look like real bargain.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

:ms: good time to buy ddr4-3200 right now!

Looks like G. Skill still makes the cheapest DDR4 3200 with 14 CAS, even though the price has gone up a little in the past few months. I'm super happy I got it when 16GB was only $105.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I suspected that it wasn't actually true, as the Jaguar-based consoles are still single-channel.

I read this and thought to myself, "Uhh, didn't the Atari Jaguar console die 2 decades ago?"

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Palladium posted:

Audiophiles make anything in consumer PC look like real bargain.

Exactly. The dudes that buy the fastest CPU and GPU every year or do stupid things like quad SLI are paying in the hundreds to low thousands for for marginal, but measurable (and sometimes even perceptible!) performance improvements. Audiophiles will pay tens of thousands for poo poo that doesn't do a goddamn thing.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Boiled Water posted:

Except that both basically finance cheaper parts for you, since the companies can use their stupidly disproportionate profit margins to reduce the margins on the components you buy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nam Taf posted:

Except that both basically finance cheaper parts for you, since the companies can use their stupidly disproportionate profit margins to reduce the margins on the components you buy.

Or just pay the executives/shareholders more.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Platystemon posted:

Or just pay the executives/shareholders more.

Or that, but I'm an idealist.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Nam Taf posted:

nope this cost is shared amongst datacenters

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

billions are spent on server chips and mobile chips and AMD is finally doing one of the right things by targeting the former, intel cutting out features from chips they have a sales volume of literal rectal pennies from is just pettiness from getting owned by fsb overclocking for years

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Tell that to Kyle Bennett. :v:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

pettiness loves pettiness why else did you think a piss goblin got elected

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Decades of propaganda about how government is the problem combined with a blatant lie of "fiscal responsibility", failing economic theories on both sides of the aisle, legislation being enacted to favor pet projects and personal goals as opposed to the nation as a whole, driving talented and intellectually gifted people into the private sector where their ideas and talents can actually be rewarded, causing a brain drain at the highest levels of federal governance, only to be back-filled through connections, nepotism, money, and influence, further compounded upon by a party that's entirely willing to rewrite the rules to tighten their grip on power, whether through heinous gerrymandering, actual marginalization of the opposition, an establishment of double standards for "their guy" as opposed to "the other's guy" or just ignoring their existence outright when executing parliamentary actions?

Yeah, sure, I guess?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jan 17, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

not to mention the oligarchs suppressing the idea of "actually taxing the rich" and pushing COINTELPRO through to get rid of anti-corporatists with the shitcherry on top being reagan causing a mass backstabbing of unions and civil rights groups by democrats vaporizing widespread political support from anyone who doesn't want to turn the country into Mordor and we're riding the new gilded age dumpster fire as a result whooooooo great depression 2 bring on the soup lines

in short, intel bad

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Just as AMD prepares to release a competitive CPU and GPU combo to take the market by storm and secure its future, the economy collapses.

Someone make a smiley that's Charlie Brown trying to kick a football except it's AMD and marketshare.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

In the grim darkness of the far future, MAKE MORE CORES

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
[UNSOLICITED OPINIONS ON INTEL???]

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

In the grim darkness of the far future, MAKE MORE CORES

Finally, the massive parallelism we were promised with Itanium.

(da team red wunz go fasta!)

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I'm still not 100% sure Itanium actually existed or if it was just a fever dream I had once.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

Just as AMD prepares to release a competitive CPU and GPU combo to take the market by storm and secure its future, the economy collapses.

Someone make a smiley that's Charlie Brown trying to kick a football except it's AMD and marketshare.
China and Europe will still be mostly functional markets

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Which, as it has been noted, AMD has been cutting deals with several large Chinese outfits over the past few months.

edit:

https://twitter.com/killyourfm/status/821152304237686784

I have to go buy an MPB now.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 17, 2017

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Which, as it has been noted, AMD has been cutting deals with several large Chinese outfits over the past few months.

edit:

Couldn't Razer or any other OEM just make a touchbar for PC and we can all do the same neato stuff without having to overspend on a pretty yet underwhelming Mac?

Crap they could just sell a Touchbar separate and made the entire laptop pointless.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

EdEddnEddy posted:

Couldn't Razer or any other OEM just make a touchbar for PC and we can all do the same neato stuff without having to overspend on a pretty yet underwhelming Mac?

Crap they could just sell a Touchbar separate and made the entire laptop pointless.

I'm not actually buying an MBP, it was a joke. To answer your question with some sincerity, however, remember the Optimus Maximus keyboard and how well that has done?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Haven't full-color touch panels been a thing for extravagant keyboards for years?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

just one panel usually instead of a bunch of $15 lcd panels

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm not actually buying an MBP, it was a joke. To answer your question with some sincerity, however, remember the Optimus Maximus keyboard and how well that has done?
Counterpoint: It was a $1,600 keyboard and I would do unspeakable things to get one.

Realistically, considering Apple sued the poo poo out of Samsung over crap like pinch zoom I'm willing to bet they have enough patents to prevent someone else trying the same design. I also think it is just extremely gimicky, looks great in tech demos but I doubt it is a real productivity deal breaker (productivity on OS X :lol: ).

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea that keyboard was awesome, but a bit like a super niche on top of the niche Logitech G19 screen. (That I do still love)

Wasn't it almost always sold out though even at its price?

And the Razor laptop (Blade Pro?) With the fancy LCD Touchpad/Screen was also pretty cool, but it was paired with dated at launch hardware that wasn't updated until recently with the new Pro, but also lost it's LCD. The LCD would have been fine to keep, just not paired to crappy low end dedicated graphics and generation old CPU. Ugh Razer trying to Be apple I guess lol.

Though as far as niche things go with them then, I'd take that 3 4K screen beast over a little lcd touchbar gimmick anyday. I really do hope they make that system a reality.

Also speaking of crazy laptops, has there been any word on a release date on that Acer behemoth with the 21" Curved Widescreen with SLI 1080's?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

EdEddnEddy posted:

Realistically, any peripheral like that has a chicken/egg problem of apps supporting it properly before it can be any good. It would need a heavyweight stakeholder in the platform to push it, and Apple is great at getting developers on their platforms to support whatever their weird new idea is, even if it turns out to be a bad idea long-term. On Windows, something like that pushed by Microsoft would never get as much support because Windows devs largely don't give a poo poo about what Microsoft would like them to support. More broadly, I'm also skeptical about the ergonomics of a screen-near-the-keyboard when used at a desk, because if you have decent posture your eyes are looking much further away from the keyboard.

But, this is the AMD thread, so, carry on!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

cbirdsong posted:

Realistically, any peripheral like that has a chicken/egg problem of apps supporting it properly before it can be any good. It would need a heavyweight stakeholder in the platform to push it, and Apple is great at getting developers on their platforms to support whatever their weird new idea is, even if it turns out to be a bad idea long-term. On Windows, something like that pushed by Microsoft would never get as much support because Windows devs largely don't give a poo poo about what Microsoft would like them to support. More broadly, I'm also skeptical about the ergonomics of a screen-near-the-keyboard when used at a desk, because if you have decent posture your eyes are looking much further away from the keyboard.

But, this is the AMD thread, so, carry on!

Making a desktop touchbar articulate wouldn't be a crazy idea in that case. Similar to the way the G15 was tilted a bit or the G19 was on a adjustable hinge. They weren't touch surfaces but both were used in desktop environments so it's not a complete crazy idea.

I just am one of those who like everything to have a screen and more screens = better. :v:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I mean, depending on user configurability, it could be pretty rad. Dock a Photoshop toolbar/favorites to it, macros, swipe through it for F* functionality, push style notifications /quick responses, all sorts of neat stuff.

I would probably load tiled dickbutts on there as a wallpaper though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

edit:

steve rider?

• Locked thread