Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

How did the Knicks score 8 points in a quarter?

very carefully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

with 3 minutes left in the 3rd they only had 2 i think . they were just taking horrible shots and never getting back on D. They looked like a tired/lazy pick up team that just wanted to get off the court

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

McDermott career high in Memphis on MLK Day

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

code:
Player			TDs 	 Season
Oscar Robertson		41	 1961-62
Wilt Chamberlain	31 	 1967-68
Oscar Robertson		26	 1960-61
Oscar Robertson		26	 1963-64
Oscar Robertson		22	 1964-65
Wilt Chamberlain	22	 1966-67
Oscar Robertson		20	 1962-63
Russell Westbrook	20	 2016-17
2017:

code:
Player			TDs
Russell Westbrook	20
448 Other Players	17
James Harden		12
Also, RW and Harden are leading the league in double-doubles with 33 and 35. They might both finish with the highest DD totals for a G outside of John Stockton in the last thirty years.

:doh:

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
https://gfycat.com/ShamefulImpishAppaloosa

The Rockets 1 on 5 fast breaks are unbelievable.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
"Wheelchair Jimmy" Butler

Furious Karl taught me about Mel Turpin today. I'd never heard of the man. very :sad:

quote:

The subtext of the meeting couldn’t have been plainer: our rookie, and presumably our new star, Mel Turpin. Mel wasn’t playing much and when I did put him in, he didn’t show much. He’d been the sixth pick in the previous draft, the group that included Michael Jordan, Charles Barkley, and Hakeem Olajuwon, but our new center was not destined for the Hall of Fame. Turpin was very talented but undermotivated, a combination that put my teeth on edge. I can close my eyes and see his moon face, and his beautiful midrange jump shot, and how, very gradually, there got to be more and more Mel. Eventually, everyone noticed, and someone, probably a writer, called him Dinner Bell Mel. The name stuck. His other nickname played off Karl Malone’s handle: the Mealman.
My supersized problem child was addicted to fast food. I didn’t see it, but we heard that he could eat two large pizzas at a sitting, or a dozen Big Macs. McDonald’s sold its 50 billionth burger in 1984. Mel helped.
I started to resent him a little bit. After I saw Mark West knock Patrick Ewing on his rear end in a summer scrimmage against the Olympic team, we pried him away from the Milwaukee Bucks. I pulled West aside before a practice. “If you hit that fat boy in the head during practice,” I said, meaning Mel, “that won’t bother me.” Mark took the advice seriously, and it became a running joke on the team. World bought Mel a Cleveland Browns helmet.
We put a clause in Mel’s contract that unless his body fat was 12 percent or less, his pay would be docked 10 percent. I’m pretty sure he never even took the test. His weight climbed and—big surprise—his knees began to hurt. Did I yell at him, did I call him fat and slow in front of his teammates? Hell yes.
“You can’t go after him like that,” Gordon said, or said through our GM, Harry Weltman. “You’re emotionally abusing him.” I might’ve been.
But Melvin Harrison Turpin was not my problem; 2 wins in the first 21 games was my problem.

Turpin, who worked as a prison guard after his basketball career ended, committed suicide at age forty-nine in 2010.
RIP

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
35% of the book so far is him repeatedly assuring you that him and his bros drank plenty of beer you have NO IDEA how much beer and partied hard but they could handle their poo poo UNLIKE these ENTITLED AAU BRATS OUT CLUBBING

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Do you mean as in how did they manage 8 or how did they not manage more than 8?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

35% of the book so far is him repeatedly assuring you that him and his bros drank plenty of beer you have NO IDEA how much beer and partied hard but they could handle their poo poo UNLIKE these ENTITLED AAU BRATS OUT CLUBBING

The Open Floor guys did a passive defense of the book, by saying if you kind of just think of it as a guy (probably drunk) sitting next to talking about basketball in like an airport bar it makes a little more sense. Would you say that's accurate?

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

dokmo posted:

https://gfycat.com/ShamefulImpishAppaloosa

The Rockets 1 on 5 fast breaks are unbelievable.

That was some 2015-16 Steph Curry poo poo

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Rick posted:

The Open Floor guys did a passive defense of the book, by saying if you kind of just think of it as a guy (probably drunk) sitting next to talking about basketball in like an airport bar it makes a little more sense. Would you say that's accurate?
Well it's how he directly tries to frame the introduction of the book, which comes off as an appeal to Sports dad nation, the last standing George Karl defenders

quote:

As you read this book, imagine I am on the next bar stool over and you’ve asked me what it’s really like inside pro basketball. You seem okay, you’re buying, and I want to say what I want to say. I don’t mind a reaction and I don’t mind pissing off twenty-nine teams: the only team I want to be happy is my own.
It's not the most genuine feeling book but even the stuff that doesn't come off as genuine adds to understanding him as a character
Part of the Furious George character includes quoting respected people constantly being like "you're doing it wrong" and him going "and they were probably right but gently caress it I'm furious George :twisted: "
For me it's just entertaining very light basketball reading because I'm not familiar with a lot of this basketball history but I was getting bored as gently caress while he was bragging about his college years

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Here is the Knicks 8 points 3rd quarter. Skip to the last possession for a tldr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yvmORtYbYk

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

dokmo posted:

Here is the Knicks 8 points 3rd quarter. Skip to the last possession for a tldr.

The raptors are almost feigning starting playing their man and then taking two steps into a sort of 3-2 zone and it totally stymies everything the Knicks are doing, hahaha

Rick posted:

Did you hear Karl on Lowe's podcast, he was slurring so badly, he has a really bad case of chemo brain, or it's a coincidence and he's starting to get dementia. That slur is a dead giveaway. I don't think we should destroy him forever, it's like the book version of a drunken facebook post, he's not in his right mind.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I can't listen to Zach Lowe, due to extreme dislike of everything he says about basketball. But that actually makes sense.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Dejan Bimble posted:

The raptors are almost feigning starting playing their man and then taking two steps into a sort of 3-2 zone and it totally stymies everything the Knicks are doing, hahaha

Did you hear Karl on Lowe's podcast, he was slurring so badly, he has a really bad case of chemo brain, or it's a coincidence and he's starting to get dementia. That slur is a dead giveaway. I don't think we should destroy him forever, it's like the book version of a drunken facebook post, he's not in his right mind.

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play/_/id/14722563
Compare Karl's voice to Hubie Brown, who's 18 years older
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNNjIaC2iZY
Hubie sounds old, he sounds a bit tired, but he's speaking clearly, and he's easily accessing memories and articulating his thoughts

Karl's brain is fried, I hate to say that so impolitely, but I don't think we should pile on him because it's so clear that this is not what he'd say, say 5 years ago

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I love me some 12pm workday basketball today. Let's continue the struggle for all mankind to be judged by their character, and let's crash a big slam and get some nuts in Draymond's face.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The 1st round pick was adequate compensation for the salary dumps to Atlanta. They threw in korver for free or to make it a legal trade or whatever.

I'm not complaining

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

euphronius posted:

The 1st round pick was adequate compensation for the salary dumps to Atlanta. They threw in korver for free or to make it a legal trade or whatever.

I'm not complaining

Dunleavy's contract was not guaranteed next year, there is no salary cap relief for the cavs with this trade.

Actually, they'll pay extra tax this year because of the trade.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

$4,837,500 + $2,200,000 > $5,239,437

Plus it freed up a roster spot.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Knicks offense dies without King Zing because it turns into Melo and Rose iso's with occasional outside shots from bench players, who admittedly I'm warming up to pretty fast and think are pretty good. Melo's offense is still fine but he doesn't jump anymore so that kinda blows for defense and rebounding. Rose doesn't pass to anyone unless it's a kick out on a drive and he isn't good enough anymore to demand help defense so it's not like those guys are super open on the kick outs either.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Uhhhhh I thought it saved them like $5 millions or so in tax?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dejan Bimble posted:

Karl's brain is fried, I hate to say that so impolitely, but I don't think we should pile on him because it's so clear that this is not what he'd say, say 5 years ago
On the other hand people have been calling him a snake in the grass since long before now.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
The Ringer on Murray and Hield. Conclusion: being a rookie isn't easy.

https://theringer.com/jamal-murray-vs-buddy-hield-191c24ba83f4#.xygn5al1j

edit:

The Bulls should hang these stats from the rafter. All hail McBuckets!

http://stats.nba.com/game/#!/0021600611/?RangeType=2&StartRange=7200&EndRange=14400

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 16, 2017

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

What are some good NBA podcasts?

Namaste

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

paternity suitor posted:

What are some good NBA podcasts?

Namaste

Dunc'd On
Locked On (for your favorite team; can be good or bad depending)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Would he say it out loud no. The offensive thoughts and dogwhistle racism bullshit didn't come from nowhere.

I'm going to pile on as necessary, as even before this people talked about how much of a self serving rear end he was.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

dokmo posted:

Brandon :(

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Please don't make fun of my dad.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

dokmo posted:

:eyepoop:

This is incredible. 6 of the points come from the bench.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

dokmo posted:

How did they lose a point in there?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

How did they lose a point in there?

The first shot they hit in the video, the three point shot, is found on replay to have been released after the shot clock expired.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

dokmo posted:

I like at 4:06 how Rose passes up a wide open 3 to instead take one dribble inside the line for a long 2.

Also that last possession is the most Brandon Jennings of possessions.

Also notice how many times guys look surprised when the ball is passed to them. Like Hernangomez is shockedat 6:30 when he gets the ball and clearly has no idea what is supposed to be happening.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Punkin Spunkin posted:

"Wheelchair Jimmy" Butler

Furious Karl taught me about Mel Turpin today. I'd never heard of the man. very :sad:

RIP

there a hamburger up there lol

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Is that Knicks 8 point quarter the worst quarter of basketball in the season? Sacramento's 4th quarter against Utah was also extremely bad. Celtics against Washington at the start of the season was bad too, but involved a ton of shots not falling AFAICT.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Brolander posted:

there a hamburger up there lol
Respect to the mealman

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

For people who watched it , it seemed like they were fortunate to get 8. There was a good 8 minute stretch where they literally quit playing basketball. Like had the Raptors not just scored quickly in transition they could've wasted time and kept them to 4. I've never seen a basketball team continuously give up for that long all the while the coach is calling timeouts and trying to change the line up.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Yeah 8 points is a triumph after this point

https://twitter.com/futurecanon/status/820748426463821825

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

To anyone thinking of listening to Dunc'd On just know that if Zach Lowe is too dorky for you Dunc'd On is about 200 times as autistic. It's like listening to an actuary table talk about basketball

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
This probably makes me a total scrub but I listen to basically every episode of Jalen and Jacoby. I like listening to two guys talk about basketball but also football and sometimes baseball and also pop culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Adams is out with a concussion so let's score a million points in hopes of winning

• Locked thread