Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Do you? What is it?

The Chargers are moving to Los Angeles this year. They've been in flux for awhile now because the dirtbag billionaire owner has been trying to extort the city of San Diego into buying a stadium for him. The situation has been going on for awhile now, so it was real bad judgment on the part of the writer to pick that particular team out of thirty-two for this plot point

I know all this because greater San Diego is my hometown. I'm kind of sad the football team that's been there for my whole childhood is gone now, but at the same time I'm proud of the region for telling the Chargers management to go gently caress themselves instead of handing out corporate welfare. The situation is not likely to end well for the Spanos family, since by all accounts Los Angeles doesn't even care about the football team they just got that actually has a history there, so it's hard to see them putting much money into ours.

Tracksuit

I like how this comic keeps reminding me what the characters' names are because otherwise I would totally forget.

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Here's a good test case for knowing whether or not a problem is caused by Korean culture. If it has to be explained to people not yet in the workforce, that's corporate culture, not national culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I can't be the only one upset about the Museum of Monster Tolerance joke right? I mean, the Museum of Tolerance's message amounts to "Genocide is bad!" They even have a section where you walk thru a simulated gas chamber. So to invoke the Museum of Tolerance's name for such a crappy joke...

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

RandomPauI posted:

Okay, I can't be the only one upset about the Museum of Monster Tolerance joke right? I mean, the Museum of Tolerance's message amounts to "Genocide is bad!" They even have a section where you walk thru a simulated gas chamber. So to invoke the Museum of Tolerance's name for such a crappy joke...

I'm torn between being kind of pissed off at it and kind of sad that there isn't a museum where I can climb a small empire state building and swat at biplanes.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yeah, I guess "my phone is dying" and "my boner's dying" do sound pretty similar

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
https://twitter.com/fmarciuliano/status/820698992921165825

No, Ces. No.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is in a race against time.

Working Daze fails to make a joke in order to make a Monty Python reference very few people would get.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix gives us closure.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Also it might be over thinking it but that one lion from the back is giving me major Cowardly Lion vibes

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Shugojin posted:

Also it might be over thinking it but that one lion from the back is giving me major Cowardly Lion vibes

No, I see it too now that you mentioned it. The lion is too lumpy to be anything but a man in a suit.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ces is the best. :allears:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

The Chargers are moving to Los Angeles this year. They've been in flux for awhile now because the dirtbag billionaire owner has been trying to extort the city of San Diego into buying a stadium for him. The situation has been going on for awhile now, so it was real bad judgment on the part of the writer to pick that particular team out of thirty-two for this plot point.

Well, to be fair to Armstrong, he's had Marcus (the character in the strip who facilitated the job offer) playing for the Chargers for several years now, so it's more bad luck than bad judgment on his part.

(also, as a long time Jump Start reader, can I say I'm really sick of Ray Ramsey at this point? It feels like Armstrong is bored with his usual cast so he's putting everything into this new character.)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Yay!

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
The Pop Team Epic crossover nobody expects or wants, but everyone needs.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Green Intern posted:

No, I see it too now that you mentioned it. The lion is too lumpy to be anything but a man in a suit.

It has a crown on. It's the Coward Lion, no ifs ands or butz

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Kind of looks like Rally Vincent from Gunsmith Cats.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way With The Willets (And Wash Tubbs's Monkey) (February 26 and March 4, 1928; click for big)

I'm convinced that fires were the internet of the 20's. Folks are always staring at them!

The man has me working tomorrow, so you get some comix a little early.
Hope you all have a great day! (hopefully a day off)

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did. (November, 1915)

Outbursts of Everett True (April, 1916)

Doings of the Duffs (March, 1918, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (April, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (April, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (September, 1940)

Tweedy (November, 1956, click for big)

Jaf (1969)

Feiffer (1970, click for big)

Andy Capp (January, 1971, click for big)

Wee Pals (January, 1971, click for big)

Pyton

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

Dick Tracy (October, 2009, click for big)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Curtis

The Flying McCoys

Fred Basset

Frog Applause

Hi and Lois

Lockhorns

Moose and Molly

Office Hours

Reply All

Sally Forth

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

So the odds of the thanks being "not putting him on a loving stamp" are like... what, 100%?

Pooch Café

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Nov. 12, 1994)

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Yes, that is an actual thing.

quote:

Wife Carrying World Championships are held annually in Sonkajärvi, Finland since 1992 (where the prize depends on the wife's weight in beer).

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Pickles

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze fails to make a joke in order to make a Monty Python reference very few people would get.

Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey's Circus is closing after 146 years. Poor ticket sales and controversy about how animals are treated.

Shugojin posted:

It's also the hair.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Out of all of the characters of this lovely comic I hate this guy the most.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Today's Dogg™

Dustin

Mandrake

I really like the art in this strip.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 16, 2017

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 16, 2017

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The contrast between classic Nancy and modern Nancy is often remarked upon, but my God is it stark today.

Like, what really strikes me is that original Nancy is about an anarchic, punchy free spirit, while the Nancies we are now burdened with are these little simpering hymnals with no jokes in them. Even apart from the art being god awful, everything about the tone is wrong too.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Happy Elvis Day, everyone!

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Edge of Sullenness

Two-fisted not-waving action!

(also, look at that Marty Feldman poo poo in the third panel.)

Selachian fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 16, 2017

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Tiggum already posted today's Curtis, so let's jump into a Baldo where I don't actually understand what the joke is supposed to be?

Big Nate, starring young Cliff Clavin:

Wizard of Id

Wallace The Brave can replacement coach these kids to victory:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Vargo posted:

Tiggum already posted today's Curtis, so let's jump into a Baldo where I don't actually understand what the joke is supposed to be?

Baldo made a dumb joke (answering "yes" to a multiple choice question). Gracie acknowledged the dumb joke. I think it's supposed to be more endearing than amusing.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dad actually bought a new piece of technology and Dustin is the one making fun of it? Dad should have been doing a lecture about how the broom is better

shouldn't be a problem if you don't leave the toilet people rolled out onto the next room carpet

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Selachian posted:

Happy Elvis Day, everyone!

Nice job Gilchrist!

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

...and the pitch! posted:

Nice job Gilchrist!

Dude could easily have mentioned MLK somewhere in there and it would have been less cringeworthy. Or at least not mention Elvis by name.... :psyduck: GILCHY??:????

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

sweeperbravo posted:

Dude could easily have mentioned MLK somewhere in there and it would have been less cringeworthy. Or at least not mention Elvis by name.... :psyduck: GILCHY??:????

I mean, I get tired of everyone quoting the same two or three lines from MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech because you *know* that they've never read anything else of his. (The one about "not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character" gets trotted out on the reg by conservative political cartoonists.) But using Elvis, really?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

sweeperbravo posted:

It's not like I take MLK day very seriously myself but surely the man has a calendar.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

MLK Day's Dogg™

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I for one applaud Gilchrist for pandering to an old and out of touch population with music references instead of taking the more popular "those drat millennials and their political correctness"-style approach. And give him the finger for everything else.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

...and the pitch! posted:

It's not like I take MLK day very seriously myself but surely the man has a calendar.

I truly don't want to be the one to defend Gilchrist on much of anything, but... that particular song was written in response to King's (and Bobby Kennedy's) assassination.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_I_Can_Dream

Still, I don't know how many readers would know that if they weren't there at the time.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There've been worse ways to remember MLK. There's a company that sells military Lego-style kits. They called Martin Luther King a fighter for civil rights and gave a discount on their wares in his honor. The discount also includes all their Vietnam War stuff.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

There've been worse ways to remember MLK. There's a company that sells military Lego-style kits. They called Martin Luther King a fighter for civil rights and gave a discount on their wares in his honor. The discount also includes all their Vietnam War stuff.

Ironically, he supported Vietnam in the beginning as the first integrated war until it became clear that the lives of black soldiers were being valued less than white ones.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Skippy (November 4-6, 1929)

Peanuts (January 19, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (March 31-April 1, 1930)

Thimble Theater (August 5, 1930)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

TofuDiva posted:

I truly don't want to be the one to defend Gilchrist on much of anything, but... that particular song was written in response to King's (and Bobby Kennedy's) assassination.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_I_Can_Dream

Still, I don't know how many readers would know that if they weren't there at the time.

Oh that's nice. So Gilchrist just completely flubbed the execution but his heart was probably in the right place.

• Locked thread