Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Heath posted:

James Joyce, foreverially eyepatched with permanent fart tongue and loving it

loving lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Heath posted:

:five:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

my dad posted:

I love this thread. :allears:

Heath posted:

I, too, love this thread. :allears:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Joyce was a dirty rear end man but I can't help but laugh at how he describes everything so enthusiastically. "Gonna rail Nora until she's a heaping pile of farts and queefs"

yea if Joyce was just a pervert it'd be easily forgotten as nothing but 'here's some weird trivia'.

Instead because he was such an eager, psyched up, pervert who wrote letters giving his girl a heads up that he's gonna gently caress her into a sentient fart cloud that he'll also gently caress it's fantastic.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
As a squeamish lover of Ulysses I just ignore the letters. If legions of Lovecraft nerds can ignore his racism, I can ignore Joyce's kinks. The worst thing in Ulysses is public masturbation.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Count Chocula posted:

As a squeamish lover of Ulysses I just ignore the letters. If legions of Lovecraft nerds can ignore his racism, I can ignore Joyce's kinks. The worst thing in Ulysses is public masturbation.

If reading Ulysses makes you publicly masturbate, you're the kinky one, sir.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
It's a shame, but Joyce's literary works will be occluded by his furious obsession with farts. It's actually impossible to read him if you make the accident of reading the letters first, because you become hypersensitive to any references to clouds, smells - anything that could be perceived as fart related in his books.

His very name conjures up "fart deviant" to me now, rather than respected author. Never record your secret kinks where posterity can find them, folks.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jeza posted:

Never record your secret kinks where posterity can find them, folks.

I have so much to say about this but whatever I say will not be funny enough to do it justice.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
I would much rather history knows what hosed up sex poo poo everyone gets up to than not

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Like finding ancient dildos is a great boon to society

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

poisonpill posted:

The Alliance's crazy obsession with movable S-foils has once again doomed another generation of space craft. The general idea is to make the fighters "MC80 Capable" which is itself a strange canard for ships that should be using their own hyperspace, but the design makes the entire frame untenable and actually requires the new ships to refuel nearly a dozen times in order to make a standard hyperspace jump. Worse is the Alliance's entire doctrine that overemphasizes their pilots, requiring redundant missiles, shields, and ejection seats (in contrast with the Empire's low cost, highly maneuverable swarm doctrine, which lowers pilot survivability but permits the deployment of many times more ships). The Sullustri corporate spaceyards have been producing these craft under the ever-changing requirements that seem to change every time one of the admirals "feels the Force" telling him to change direction. Frankly, we should be relying on larger mobile platforms. I know everybody makes fun of the Death Star, but the age of ship-to-ship combat is over.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gloryhold It! posted:

Like finding ancient dildos is a great boon to society

Not really, you can't get the batteries any more.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Those are vibrators, and you just gotta hook them up to a water wheel

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jeza posted:

posterity

:mmmhmm:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Count Chocula posted:

I think the current thinking with Lovecraft is that his racism was a product of his crazy overprotective mother sheltering him from the outside world and that he kind of got over it in later years and actually married a Jewish woman.

Oddly enough, that same fear of the unknown is what made his writing so good too.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lovecraft was scared of penguins and corners, imagine how terrified he was when he first heard about the savage negro

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I think the current thinking with Lovecraft is that his racism was a product of his crazy overprotective mother sheltering him from the outside world and that he kind of got over it in later years and actually married a Jewish woman.

Oddly enough, that same fear of the unknown is what made his writing so good too.

Lovecraft's writing wasn't good.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Lovecraft was scared of penguins and corners, imagine how terrified he was when he first heard about the savage negro

Several of his books have the protagonist going crazy after they learn that one of their ancestors was an albino or a negro or an arab

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Aphrodite posted:

Lovecraft's writing wasn't good.

World-building was compelling, though. Like Tolkien: a middling story, poorly told, in a compelling world.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
*sees a fish or squid or something*

And in that crepuscular hour I learned unknowable things, eldritch horrors beyond the ken of man, colours beyond reason. The uncaring stars scream while nameless, faceless monstrosities awaken from eons-long slumber. Also I saw a black dude REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

my favourite Lovecraft passage will always be his character going full niggerstomper58 upon seeing a sleeping black man in public

quote:

The match had been between Kid O'Brien -- a lubberly and now quaking youth with a most un-Hibernian hooked nose -- and Buck Robinson, "The Harlem Smoke." The negro had been knocked out, and a moment's examination shewed us that he would permanently remain so. He was a loathsome, gorilla-like thing, with abnormally long arms which I could not help calling fore legs, and a face that conjured up thoughts of unspeakable Congo secrets and tom-tom poundings under an eerie moon.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

my favourite Lovecraft passage will always be his character going full niggerstomper58 upon seeing a sleeping black man in public

Lol I forgot how much he loves to mention drums being pounded under gibbous and/or gibbering moons.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
We've come a long way towards interracial understanding, but whitey is still a long way from finding out those unspeakable Congo secrets.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jeza posted:

We've come a long way towards interracial understanding, but whitey is still a long way from finding out those unspeakable Congo secrets.

The secrets are unspeakable, so they are communicated through drum beats. We will never learn the secrets, because white people have no sense of rhythm.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I wish I still had my collection of Robert E. Howard's Solomon Kane stories. One of them had him outright go on a "white man's burden" diatribe after an adventure in Africa. Quite unsettling.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

FOUL NEGROMANCERS

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I wish I still had my collection of Robert E. Howard's Solomon Kane stories. One of them had him outright go on a "white man's burden" diatribe after an adventure in Africa. Quite unsettling.

yeah howard's racial theories he wrote as world building are really something

e: woah, when did you lose your star?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hogge Wild posted:

yeah howard's racial theories he wrote as world building are really something

e: woah, when did you lose your star?

Probably some time yesterday, I got demodded on Friday the 13th (:spooky:).

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Wasn't he the one who, after spending a bit of time with Lovecraft, actually became less racist? Because Lovecraft was so insanely racist he took a step back and went "huh, that's actually kind of dumb".

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Josef bugman posted:

Wasn't he the one who, after spending a bit of time with Lovecraft, actually became less racist? Because Lovecraft was so insanely racist he took a step back and went "huh, that's actually kind of dumb".

He was way more elaborate race theory racist than HPL, so I doubt it.

It would be interesting to read a good book researching racism among pulp writers, or even just in HPL's circle.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He was way more elaborate race theory racist than HPL, so I doubt it.

It would be interesting to read a good book researching racism among pulp writers, or even just in HPL's circle.
nope, it's true

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I remember reading some Lovecraft and being completely perplexed about his ramblings about "hybrids" in some swamp or other, thinking he meant some sort of fish monster demon or whatnot, but if so why isn't the military/Vatican doing anything about it, but no, it's mulattos. He's going apeshit over mulattos.

loving sheltered stinkdaisy fucker need counseling from seeing banana oh no my pokeymon cards are unsorted how'd that happen NEGROES

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Improbable Lobster posted:

Several of his books have the protagonist going crazy after they learn that one of their ancestors was an albino or a negro or an arab

But albinos are super white?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Pick posted:

So was Nikola Tesla, and he still ended up Nyarlathotep. :v:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pick posted:

They're too white, I guess

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Improbable Lobster posted:

They're too white, I guess

picky little poo poo

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

albino negroes look like white people from a distance so it's important that albinism is wiped out to prevent stealth miscegenation

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I think it was just one story where an English dude's ancestor hosed an albino gorilla lady and it was too horrible for his descendants to deal with.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Kavak posted:

I think it was just one story where an English dude's ancestor hosed an albino gorilla lady and it was too horrible for his descendants to deal with.

It's loving hilarious. One of his best imo.

Unrelated:

spog posted:

I don't think you can cheat in self-defence.

Rough Lobster posted:

Incorrect. Failing to give a warning sigh before cutting a mugger down with your katana is considered unsportsmanlike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

my favorite will always be the one where the dramatic twist that's supposed to be horrifying and mind shattering is...

quote:

It would be too hideous if they knew that the one-time heiress of Riverside—the accursed gorgon or lamia whose hateful crinkly coil of serpent-hair must even now be brooding and twining vampirically around an artist’s skeleton in a lime-packed grave beneath a charred foundation—was faintly, subtly, yet to the eyes of genius unmistakably the scion of Zimbabwe’s most primal grovellers. No wonder she owned a link with that old witch-woman—for, though in deceitfully slight proportion, Marceline was a negress.

The famous lovecraft zinger for this story was...it was a black lady. This is somehow more frightening than a loving GORGON

Oh and the story is set at an abandoned plantation, which he describes

quote:

There had been, at one time, as many as 200 negroes in the cabins which stood on the flat ground in the rear—ground that the river had now invaded—and to hear them singing and laughing and playing the banjo at night was to know the fullest charm of a civilization and social order now sadly extinct.