Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Yep. Tom almost drops the remaining callers to end the show, but Mike insists that Tom should talk to the guy on the line.

Is there a list of all the e-cigs for legs calls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Does anyone remember which episode had the sound collage that included Tom singing "Somewhere Only We Know"? I think it was sometime in early 2016.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I'm 95% sure it was the candy bars episode. I'll check right now.

Edit:
June 15, 2016 @ 2:38:45.

For reference, it was the episode following the Orlando club shooting on June 12. Tom tries to avoid his feelings on the subject by talking about a light-hearted fluffy topic, but he starts to 'unravel' and have moments of candid despair. AP Mike had some uncouth twitter moments around this time that could have jeopardized his future on the show. The Keane song was the climax of the episode and was really beautiful in its earnestness.

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jan 16, 2017

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Thanks! Man, that whole episode was great.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
CAAAANDY! sunshine, lollipops and rainbows

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Tatumje posted:

I'm 95% sure it was the candy bars episode. I'll check right now.

Edit:
June 15, 2016 @ 2:38:45.

For reference, it was the episode following the Orlando club shooting on June 12. Tom tries to avoid his feelings on the subject by talking about a light-hearted fluffy topic, but he starts to 'unravel' and have moments of candid despair. AP Mike had some uncouth twitter moments around this time that could have jeopardized his future on the show. The Keane song was the climax of the episode and was really beautiful in its earnestness.

IT's a great episode

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I got hooked on Take 5 bars after that episode. I had not heard about them before, but I see them everywhere now. The packaging seems to have been redesigned in early 2016, which was a great move. The old design made it look like a knockoff brand candy bar.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Who was the guy from the Bay area that Tom remembered had called before and gotten in trouble?

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Toebone posted:

Who was the guy from the Bay area that Tom remembered had called before and gotten in trouble?

Matt from Blink 182. Tom basically figured out who he was the first time he called and needled him for it. He belongs in the Hall of Fame of Good Sports. What a champ.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Was last night's show any good?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Was last night's show any good?

Solid Wurster call, sound collage about 2 hours in. Kinda dud callers, but a good ep over all. The "best/worst robots" theme was kind of a dud.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Thom and the Heads posted:

Matt from Blink 182. Tom basically figured out who he was the first time he called and needled him for it. He belongs in the Hall of Fame of Good Sports. What a champ.

Not that I'm a big fan, but I feel it does him more justice to say that's from Alkaline Trio. But I guess Blink 182 is more relevant to his career at this point and he maybe got in trouble for badmouthing them a little bit.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Not that I'm a big fan, but I feel it does him more justice to say that's from Alkaline Trio.
Ya I mean isn't that insta-cred and instantly recognizable to the Best Show audience? Although I suppose that was like 15 years ago.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Philly Boy Roy is on the newest episode of Damien from hosed Up's podcast Turned Out A Punk.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

this list is missing heartbeeps... glaring omission

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

ManoliIsFat posted:

Solid Wurster call, sound collage about 2 hours in. Kinda dud callers, but a good ep over all. The "best/worst robots" theme was kind of a dud.

I can't think of a list theme that wasn't a dud.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Dr.Radical posted:

I can't think of a list theme that wasn't a dud.

The Order of Everything.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot
I want to introduce my girlfriend to the beauty that is the best show and specifically the wurster calls. What are some of your faves that don't lean too heavily on running jokes? I was thinking the Springsteen call and the first Power Pop Pop-Pop

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
A couple segments come to mind (these are all currently on YouTube):

Andy from Lake Newbridge is revealed to be a carp who is chilling in Aquaman's summer mansion.

The non-Wurster call from the Smirnoff Ice salesman (H Jon Benjamin) is a great slow-burn.

The pre-Best Show 'Rock, Rot, and Rule' is fantastic in part due to several callers being completely flabbergasted at the fake book's premise.

The Music Scholar is a dumb joke pulled of very well.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot
Yeah I showed her Smirnoff Ice a while ago because she was talking about drinks and I kept saying "mix that with Smirnoff Ice, you've got a Smirnoff Ice Mexican jam band" and had to explain

Didn't even think of Rock Rot and Rule somehow though

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
My favorite quick "get them laughing so they'll be patient with longer stuff" calls from the last year or two have been the voicemails from people leaving their resume to join a band. Pretty sure at least one of them - Chad Guffton - is in the Best Show Bests feed. It's just five minutes of nonstop band puns and it gives you a good sense of what to expect from some of the slower burns.

After that, Power Pop Pop Pop, Andy from Lake Newbridge, about half of the Philly Boy Roy calls work...

And then the Mayubernatorial Debate is a great way to get up to speed on a dozen Wurster characters at once.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

I can't find it on youtube but Wurster's description of Zappa's disdain for his fans "Jazz Fart" is a personal highlight for me. Like getting mad that everyone clapped at the wrong time ro like looking right at him and turning his back on him as the height of Zappa fandom is so perfect. It's on the boxset.

CaptainPsyko posted:

And then the Mayubernatorial Debate is a great way to get up to speed on a dozen Wurster characters at once.
I was thinking that too, but I think it might be way more enjoyable as a payoff to a bunch of inside jokes rather than it being your intro.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Every Marky Ramone call

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot
I should probably say that YouTube doesn't really matter, I have the Mega archive so I can look up shows on wiki and just grab what I want

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot
Bruce Springsteen tries to get a job at spirit Halloween stores every year and gets turned down because he's too short

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

The one that actually hooked me was The Chippert Report on toilet rock. I don't know what show it's from, but it's on "New Hope for the Ape-Eared."

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ManoliIsFat posted:

I can't find it on youtube but Wurster's description of Zappa's disdain for his fans "Jazz Fart" is a personal highlight for me. Like getting mad that everyone clapped at the wrong time ro like looking right at him and turning his back on him as the height of Zappa fandom is so perfect. It's on the boxset.
I was thinking that too, but I think it might be way more enjoyable as a payoff to a bunch of inside jokes rather than it being your intro.

It's a bad "intro" but it's a great "okay, I'm sold" crash course.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I liked the one from 2 years ago that was the manager for tribute bands.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
My favourite is the secret Presidential habits one.

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008
My introduction was the Home Movies episode where Jon Benjamin does the robot voice. Still one of the funniest things I've ever heard is when fuckin' Petey calls in and they get into a minutes-long screaming argument

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I just finished listening through the end of Petey, when he starts to drop the voice/character and Tom is initially happy then gets weirded out and tells him to start doing it again.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

CaptainPsyko posted:

Philly Boy Roy is on the newest episode of Damien from hosed Up's podcast Turned Out A Punk.

Thanks for pointing this podcast out. The live episodes are a little rough, but the 1-on-1 interviews are really enjoyable.

I've just been skipping around, but my highlights so far are a 1+ hour interview with Wurster about his early career and a Terre T inverview where she tells a GG Allin story that is really... a GG Allin story.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I loving hate Fred from Honolulu and his stupid laugh he makes at everything.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Hey Tom it's Jessica from Ithaca!

Hmm? What's that? Oh no I have nothing to contribute I just called because I'm apparently compelled to call every week and make you do all the heavy lifting

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
You can always count on a caller that has a story for Tom to have a boring story that goes nowhere.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

TOM: Oh, brudder. This guy, this guy moved to Brooklyn!
FRED: [45 minute uninterrupted chuckle that sounds like a dripping faucet] Hey, c'mon, Tom.

Nails on a chalkboard.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I like when nasal steven universe fans call in.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I generally like Fred. Him talking about being able to beat up everyone in Boards of Canada was pretty great.

Jessica from Ithaca is the worst though. Cat from Raleigh is second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Fred is great, he embodies the spirit of contrarian b-busting that drives The Best Show. And you can't throw the Steven Universe callers (admittedly a sordid lot) under the bus without losing "SNOOCHIE BOOCHIES" kid, which is truly a highlight of the post-WFMU era.

Jessica from Ithaca is an instant fast-forward for me. Seems like a nice enough person, but woof, those calls go nowhere