Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

mabels big day posted:

i didnt even know this was an emote

I think it became one within days of the original chapter? Or very soon after, at least.

God loving drat what a cool scene that was. I own a towel and a small badge that both have Zoro's "nothing at all" panel on them. Just saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Gyges posted:

Seeing as Luffy is going to be the King of the Pirates, it's a little silly to act like he's just some up and comer. Is it really so unrealistic that the Pirate King can wreck an Emperor's poo poo?
Yeah, this is it.

Luffy's basically going to use his current power to become the strongest in the world. He'll get a lot more skill along the way, and learn to use it in interesting new ways, but in terms of raw power... this is it. Do you guys think there's going to be another timeskip, after which Luffy will seem reasonably powerful enough to take out a Yonkou?

Honestly, the fact that it seems so inconceivable based on their relative status is why the victory's going to have such an impact. If we were all, "Yeah, he seems ready for a Yonkou. This is about when it should happen," that would take away from the potential "Holy poo poo, I didn't think he'd take out a loving Yonkou already!" factor.

Luffy's going to beat all the Yonkou. He's not going to backtrack here again. This is it.

It might be a team effort, there might be all sorts of mitigating factors that don't make it Luffy's victory alone... but he's going to take down Big Mom.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I wanna see Luffy take down Big Mom for exactly those reasons.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I hope eventually if there's anything involving the Strawhat Armada it'll have a scene like this

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I guess I still don't see it. Sorry. If Luffy beats Big Mom here it'll just come off as rushed and unsatisfying to me.

Especially since Luffy fighting Doflamingo would have resulted in him being defeated had he not been assisted by the coliseum warriors.and most of Dressrosa.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I could *maybe* see Luffy beating a yonko at full strength + some strange matchup advantage, but realistically he just got done fighting for what? Half a day? Against Big Mom's best subordinate, and he needed help to beat him.

Luffy beating Big Mom in a fight would only make sense if he got help from every other shmuck that isn't part of Big Mom's crew, but the build up so far of how powerful the 4 emperors are would be wasted if he beat her starved and already half dead.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

I guess I still don't see it. Sorry. If Luffy beats Big Mom here it'll just come off as rushed and unsatisfying to me.

Especially since Luffy fighting Doflamingo would have resulted in him being defeated had he not been assisted by the coliseum warriors.and most of Dressrosa.

If Dofy vs Kaido is a world ending event [according to Kaido], how is it hard to see.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Ubiquitus posted:

I could *maybe* see Luffy beating a yonko at full strength + some strange matchup advantage, but realistically he just got done fighting for what? Half a day? Against Big Mom's best subordinate, and he needed help to beat him.

Luffy beating Big Mom in a fight would only make sense if he got help from every other shmuck that isn't part of Big Mom's crew, but the build up so far of how powerful the 4 emperors are would be wasted if he beat her starved and already half dead.

I mean, it's not going to happen next chapter. Luffy's going to gorge on Sanji's cooking and heal up at some point. Nami's going to hard counter Big Mom's doomsday weapons. Sanji, Jimbei, Brook, Chopper, Carrot, and Pedro will all have their parts to play, either fighting subordinates or weakening Big Mom's power structure. There will be various twists and turns and developments.

But yeah, Luffy's going to take down Big Mom.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Kild posted:

If Dofy vs Kaido is a world ending event [according to Kaido], how is it hard to see.

I don't remember Kaido ever claiming that, but I do remember Doflamingo voiding his pants at the thought of earning Kaido's ire and Kaido saying he thinks Law and Luffy (who beat Doffy) are a pair of babby losers playing 'silly pirate games'.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wait, when did Kaido say that it would be world ending?

From what we've seen Kaido doesn't really think highly of Doffy, and pretty much went "Oh Doffy, you're so weak that you lost to a bunch of kids and that saddens me."

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It was the loss of SAD that made him want to go on a world ending rampage, not the defeat of Doffy.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
As soon as they got to Whole Cake Island, the grand center of Big Mom's entire base of operations, there was a 0% chance Luffy was getting off of that island without beating Big Mom and dismantling her power structures. He isn't coming back here. There won't be another shot. They're following the same pattern Luffy has always followed - he goes somewhere nobody should go, he takes everything he needs, and he destroys everyone who got in his way.

This arc is Thriller Bark mixed with Enies Lobby. There is no way Luffy isn't going to shock the world and cause a major, long-term political shake up by taking out Big Mom and her entire Yonkou seat. If Luffy is going to be pirate king, he has to kick down a Yonkou and take their place first, and Big Mom's going to be it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

I don't remember Kaido ever claiming that, but I do remember Doflamingo voiding his pants at the thought of earning Kaido's ire and Kaido saying he thinks Law and Luffy (who beat Doffy) are a pair of babby losers playing 'silly pirate games'.

Hate-Senpai posted:

Wait, when did Kaido say that it would be world ending?

From what we've seen Kaido doesn't really think highly of Doffy, and pretty much went "Oh Doffy, you're so weak that you lost to a bunch of kids and that saddens me."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqKl54SYegE

Idk if the TL is bad but he says it here at 3 minutes.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Luffy is going to beat big mom up, but he is going to do it with help.

Some help from a good meal with a lot of love and care poured into it!

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

So if Luffy beats Big Mom at the end of the arc, does that make him a Yonkou himself?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Cat Machine posted:

So if Luffy beats Big Mom at the end of the arc, does that make him a Yonkou himself?

Even if he doesn't beat her up he'll have clashed with her and gotten away probably scot free, he stole territory (FI) and her poneglyphs and he already has an armada from last arc. But no he won't be a Yonkou because they don't become the Pirate King.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Could they have like... five yonkou?? The gokou???

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Cat Machine posted:

Could they have like... five yonkou?? The gokou???

As the youngest he would be the Son Gokou.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Logicblade posted:

As the youngest he would be the Son Gokou.

and after he becomes the pirate king, his 4th sworn brother (who has just off screen during all previous flashbacks) will come from space

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cuchulain posted:

and after he becomes the pirate king, his 4th sworn brother (who has just off screen during all previous flashbacks) will come from space

The natural lead-in to the mecha manga that Oda said he wanted to draw after One Piece.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

Probably not, but it's definitely going to upset the balance of power, and we know how much the World Government hates that.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
"Luffy will be stopped now for sure!" says Increasingly Nervous Marines Man for the Fifth Time.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Kild posted:

Even if he doesn't beat her up he'll have clashed with her and gotten away probably scot free, he stole territory (FI) and her poneglyphs and he already has an armada from last arc. But no he won't be a Yonkou because they don't become the Pirate King.

I think the big part here is Luffy getting away with it. Even if somehow Luffy didn't beat Big Mom traditionally, literally anyone who talks about Big Mom like Bege or Pekoms makes a big deal of her universal reach and punishment for crossing Big Mom.

Luffy escaping would put a bullet in her reputation. Reputation - whether it's for bounties or the Marines or Shichibukai or Yonkou - is a big deal in the world narrative. Except for Luffy, who explicitly is against a sense of hierarchy (see: interactions with Vivi, Bartolomeo, Momonosuke, etc) and will probably be a big anarchist theme by the end of One Piece.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

RealFoxy posted:

The amount of poo poo it took to kill Whitebeard who was past him prime and dying still makes me weary about Big Mam taken out this arc. Like someone mentioned, this manga is 20 years old but it still feels like you could stretch it on easily for another 10
Big Mom seems to be far from as physically strong as the other emperors. Her fire/storm stuff is visually impressive but nowhere near most other stuff in this manga by now, the only thing she really has going for her is the one-hit-kill lifesteal move. She gets her power from her crew and country instead. She's the perfect yonkou to let the strawhats take out because her entire schtick is manipulating people with threats and promises of power, and Luffy is probably the one person in the world who that will have the least effect on.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

JosephWongKS posted:

The natural lead-in to the mecha manga that Oda said he wanted to draw after One Piece.

I can't wait.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Bisse posted:

Big Mom seems to be far from as physically strong as the other emperors. Her fire/storm stuff is visually impressive but nowhere near most other stuff in this manga by now, the only thing she really has going for her is the one-hit-kill lifesteal move. She gets her power from her crew and country instead. She's the perfect yonkou to let the strawhats take out because her entire schtick is manipulating people with threats and promises of power, and Luffy is probably the one person in the world who that will have the least effect on.

I'd love to see someone try and threaten Luffy's family. You're going to attack Grandpa? OK, but he's going to kick your rear end.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Begemot posted:

I can't wait.

Whoa, this would actually be pretty awesome.

I like Oda's retirement plan!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Bisse posted:

...the only thing she really has going for her is the one-hit-kill lifesteal move.

Um, that's not something to sneeze at...

Has anyone else in the series had the ability to one-shot kill at-will like that? That sounds incredibly dangerous. One false move, boom, you're dead.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Has anyone else in the series had the ability to one-shot kill at-will like that? That sounds incredibly dangerous. One false move, boom, you're dead.

The important thing to remember is that it only works if you're afraid of her. Which Luffy will never be.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Crocodile and Kuma came close enough to count. Especially Kuma, who can instantly send you somewhere highly unpleasant at enormous speed.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
sugar yall

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

It is not something to sneeze at but it is also fairly susceptible to being punched in the face first.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
I find it kinda disappointing that Big Mom no longer looks quite as monstrous as when she first appeared.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

She'll either steal most of Luffy's life force only for him to get it and everyone else's life force back after beating her, or Brooke will negate any attempts to life steal via guitar solo.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Also Hancock, but Luffy was immune to that too.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i just want to know what people who think luffy isn't ready think is the proper progression here, like there isn't a ladder of increasingly stronger crews that lead up to the pirate king.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Elfgames posted:

i just want to know what people who think luffy isn't ready think is the proper progression here, like there isn't a ladder of increasingly stronger crews that lead up to the pirate king.

Yeah it was established that in the New World (by Law?) that you either join the Yonkou or oppose them at every turn. If they're beating up their right hand men there's not really much more they can do other than beat up Admirals which Luffy was also willing to do.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The intermediate step between timeskip powerup and beating up a yonkou was doffy, imo

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Maybe a good progression would be to pick a fight with one of the Emperors, but then get away with it, defeat a high level Navy guy and overcome his entire squad, remove a couple Warlords from the Government's roster, tangle with an Admiral and get out with no real damage, then get in a tousle with another Emperor's crew.

Maybe have it in the middle of some character building (back)story for one of the Strawhats, like when he beat Arlong, Crocodile, CP9, and arguably Moria. Of course when he rampaged through Impel Down and at Marineford that was his own bit of backstory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Elfgames posted:

As I see it, the proper progression will most likely be beating an Emperor (Kaidou) with the help of a bunch of allies, beating the World Government with a bunch of allies, then beating an Emperor (Blackbeard) with just the core Straw Hat crew. Luffy isn't going to win against an Emperor's organization here when he doesn't even have Zoro with him.