Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Wow rude

That kind of stuff is supposed to go in the food thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Please describe the smell.

More monkeys:

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Proboscis monkeys! They're beautiful.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

William T. Hornaday posted:

Proboscis monkeys! They're beautiful.

It was always such a joy to see them.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Red Squirrel
Cottage 2015 50 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Grey Squirrel
Cottage 2015 76 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Winter colembolan
Cottage 2015 84 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Evergreen Traffic Jam by B. B., on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Green pit viper

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dread Head posted:

Please describe the smell.

Definitely ripe and noticeable from a distance, but kind of round and almost warm, in a way that made you stop noticing it in less than a minute. After that first hit wore off, it wasn't a problem. I may have a very poor sense of smell.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Abborre by Anders Öquist, on Flickr

Abborre by Anders Öquist, on Flickr

erephus fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 21, 2017

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Sad Seal

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
Here are some elephant seals from Año Nuevo State Park in California.

DSCF0562 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

DSCF0834 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

DSCF0825 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

DSCF0803 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

DSCF0700 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

DSCF0660 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

DSCF0656 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

DSCF0633 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

goon spotted

also, please keep posting seals and all other floppy sea mammals :3:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

A Coati, in Panama

P1010960.jpg by King Dugga, on Flickr

P1010962.jpg by King Dugga, on Flickr

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

If anyone visits DC, be sure to check out the wildlife photography exhibit in the Smithsonian. It's pretty :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa:

Also some of the shots were taken with pretty old gear. There's one shot with a Rebel, and one with a 20D.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Is that the Nature's Best one? I keep meaning to get a copy of the publication to see how it compares to the European competitions I'm more familiar with .

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

accipter posted:

Here are some elephant seals from Año Nuevo State Park in California.

I'm heading there on Saturday, and I'm trying to figure out what I want to lug out to the beach. I don't think a 150-600 will be overkill, but I'm debating whether a tripod is worth it since I'm sure it will be mid-day-ish when I'm out there and I won't be as hurting for light/stops. Also not sure what I should stick on my old body- a smaller tele zoom, wide angle, or ultrawide. Basically I'm daydreaming about not being at work right now. go about your business everyone.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
I would recommend against bringing a tripod -- unless your camera setup requires it. For a visit, a docent leads the group of about 15 people around to different viewing areas. Depending on the seals you might have to move sort of quickly or have difficulty setting up the tripod.

Here are two albums from trips to Año Nuevo this last year to give you a better idea about options.
https://goo.gl/photos/aAbdVyUjroMp7Ccn9
https://goo.gl/photos/jAJ11L4wUZs2y72f8

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the tripod might be unnecessary. Guided tours end on Friday, so Saturday should be more go-at-your-own pace. I just hope there are a few adults left on the beach.

e: Thanks for the albums. I've been there before, but not for a while, and I might be misremembering how far of a hike it actually is to get out there.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 28, 2017

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Yeah, the tripod might be unnecessary. Guided tours end on Friday, so Saturday should be more go-at-your-own pace. I just hope there are a few adults left on the beach.

e: Thanks for the albums. I've been there before, but not for a while, and I might be misremembering how far of a hike it actually is to get out there.

The hike is pretty short and most of the hike is on some really nice paths. I didn't realize that docent season is over. I might have to head out there this weekend as well.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

accipter posted:

The hike is pretty short and most of the hike is on some really nice paths. I didn't realize that docent season is over. I might have to head out there this weekend as well.

:siren:GOONMEET:siren: I'll be the guy taking bad pictures with the wife who was ready to leave an hour ago.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I'll be the guy taking bad pictures with the wife who was ready to leave an hour ago.

I was going to accuse you of stealing my schtick, but it's since been replaced by "guy trying to take photos/bird while simultaneously convincing a toddler that this is actually fun."

Also, I'm pretty sure that's the place my wife and I stumbled upon when driving highway 1 a few years ago. Like, we pulled into a parking lot to find a bathroom or switch drivers and wandered over to where all the people were and found the seals. Pretty cool surprise for being almost 1000 miles away from home.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Ekorre by Anders Öquist, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

This photo was made even better by at first only seeing the kind of spooky top quarter with the out of focus branch, then scrolling down for super cuteness reveal.

@Beast- there are a few places along the coast, but this is probably the biggest. It is between Santa Cruz and Half-moon Bay... And I can only imagine trying to photograph with a kid. At least a wife is less likely to run off a cliff or crawl around in a bunch of poison oak.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Made it to Año Nuevo today. The weather was great, but the light was not awesome. Next time I'll try to get there as soon as they open. We only saw one really big male left (and the docents said it was unusual to still have one at this time of year).

A few pics.

Elephant Seals-0447 on Flickr

Elephant Seal big male square-0516 on Flickr

Elephant Seal triangle square-0553 on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Are the California Elephant Seals a different species versus the ones around Antarctica? The males look so different!

I'm on a recent B&W kick. I'm going through some older photos to see if I can pull out a decent image from some mediocre shots.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Went to Alaska.

Saw some seals.

Harbor Seals by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Saw some sea lions.

Steller Sea Lion by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Saw some puffins.

Horned Puffin by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Saw some bears.

Brown Bear by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Saw some sea otters.

Sea Otter by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Sea Otters by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

One otter was lunching on an octopus.

Sea Otter Eating Octopus by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

And saw a bunch of whales.

Humpback Whale by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

It was fun.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Went to Alaska.

:words:

It was fun.

Where did you go in Alaska? It looks like you had a wonderful trip!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Based on all the water, I'd assume one of the coastal cruises. No one in a car is going to get access to that stuff.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Stayed in Seward the whole time. We did a day trip with Kenai Fjords Tours that took us out to Holgate Glacier and that's when we saw most of the sea life, except the otters who were just hanging around Resurrection Bay and were viewable from shore. And we stopped by the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center and Alaska Sealife Center as well.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Went to Alaska.

It was fun.

Some real great stuff as usual. Was the puffin just a random sea bird in the area or was there a colony you could get to? I'm planning an Alaskan trip as well and would love to check them out.

The bear shot I quoted is just awesome/terrifying. I can't figure out how you took that shot though That's a "bear eating your face off" angle.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Earth Day pictures

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
These last few posts have been amazing! :haw:

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

InternetJunky posted:

Some real great stuff as usual. Was the puffin just a random sea bird in the area or was there a colony you could get to? I'm planning an Alaskan trip as well and would love to check them out.

The bear shot I quoted is just awesome/terrifying. I can't figure out how you took that shot though That's a "bear eating your face off" angle.

We saw lots of puffins from the boat, but this one was at the Alaska Sealife Center. The bear was at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I'll be photographing puffins come next week, although it'll be the Atlantic variety and not somewhere quite so remote as Alaska (an island off Wales).

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Huggorm by Anders Öquist, on Flickr
Common European Viper

Citronfjäril by Anders Öquist, on Flickr
Common Brimstone

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Fart Amplifier