Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
competitive is full of whiny babies that tell you to change to a different hero, but refuse to change themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

overwatch is full of whiny babies that tell you to change to a different hero, but refuse to change themselves

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Doorknob Slobber posted:

competitive is full of whiny babies that tell you to change to a different hero, but refuse to change themselves

And if this bothers you then you're as much of a baby as them. Just play, who gives a poo poo. Blizzard even gives you the option to mute specific people if it bothers you that much.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Papercut posted:

I'm sorry but you are the problem if this is happening. It means you're not playing as well as your current SR should indicate.

That doesn't even make sense though.

You are operating under the assumption that all 11 other players are playing their A game and that he's ramming his dick into a power socket while they are playing well.

That's not the case, team harmony matters almost more than skill at middle sr's, and is like a requirement higher up then that

I know a lot of people who take competitive super seriously want to believe SR is the end all be all of how good they are, but then threw the biggest bitch fit the world has ever seen when they were forced to play quick play between season 1 and 2.
It's more or less what lower rankings are.
That alone kinda indicates that we all know what happens to a team in a team based game, when people are just doing poo poo instead of even being semi-cooperative.

Less hero switching and more the over extensions, using ranked as quickplay with funky music, or just trying to follow the player base, or just having a lovely day and trolling, as seen above.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
SR already takes your attitude into account. If you have a bad attitude and spoil team dynamics, you'll lose more games, and your SR will drop.

It is, in fact, the best measurement of how good you are.

Similarly, one game being a blowout doesn't mean anything. Every game you're in being a blow-out could be bad luck but the longer it goes on the more likely it is that the problem is, in fact, you.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Season 3 has been really frustrating in low comp. I was hoping to prestige once every two seasons but these days I either play one round of OW, lose while getting yelled at, and then switch to BF1 or just straight play BF1. Overwatch seems to be much less fun than it used to be as people gain experience- again, at low levels, it seems like it just takes one person playing sub-optimally or picking badly to seriously gently caress the team.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Out of curiosity then, if people believe that SR placement is be all end all, and all trips up and down are solely your own fault,

Why keep playing competitive and aiming for higher SR?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SectumSempra posted:

Out of curiosity then, if people believe that SR placement is be all end all, and all trips up and down are solely your own fault,

Are you serious?

You play to improve. If you improve, your SR goes up. That's how you know you've improved.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also it's fun to play and have your number go up over time.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

SectumSempra posted:

All trips up and down are not solely your fault, obviously you can lose some games or win some games on the backs of your teammates. This seems to pointlessly misrepresent the point being made.

The point is that over a larger sample of games, SR is an accurate reflection of your own skill relative to everyone else in the game. And that the only thing you should be worrying about game-to-game is your own performance.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Are you serious?

You play to improve. If you improve, your SR goes up. That's how you know you've improved.

It was more in response to you responding, i'm assuming, to dude saying he was literally placed on multiple teams with the same griefer, and the response more or less being, its your fault, or its your attitude that lowers your sr.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SectumSempra posted:

It was more in response to you responding, i'm assuming, to dude saying he was literally placed on multiple teams with the same griefer, and the response more or less being, its your fault, or its your attitude that lowers your sr.

If the only other group in matchmaking at your SR has multiple griefers in it, you should probably stop and come back later. They'll either have stopped playing, or have thrown so many games that they've fallen below your SR. Either way, you'll have preserved your rank and got away from them.

Or just play a larger sample of games in the first place because Overwatch is enormously populated and it's more likely that you won't get them over and over again.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Every time I have someone throwing a game I just go take a piss, get a drink and come back for another one after. They'll be playing by then 90% of the time.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Wildtortilla posted:

Ever since then it's been a blow out against my team awarding gold medals for poo poo like getting one kill. Maybe it is me but I was playing well yesterday, hit 2861 and then lost game after game to people on my team throwing the match and/or total team stacks. I played several games in a row vs teams composed of 4-5 diamonds and with only one diamond rank on my team. Many of those games my team's rank was at least 50 lower than the other team.

It could very well be me but I don't understand what I'm doing any differently than I did on my rise to 2861. The last game I played my team got pushed back and trapped in our spawn room. Maybe I hadlve a perspective issue looking at my situation over the past 24 hours, but poo poo like that happening doesn't sound like the problem is me more so than the problem is bullshit matchmaking.
You keep your rating even if you drop down a tier. Those players almost certainly have plat level SR now and may well have just about made the cut to diamond after a streak of lucky wins. Having what appear to be unbalanced line ups happen a lot at the borders. If by rank you mean level, then that means absolutely nothing. If you mean SR then being the underdog means you lose less points.

I am always sceptical when people talk about obscene runs of griefers or bad luck without at least a screenshot or something as proof. Not saying it didn't happen but sometimes you get rolled, and if you're already tilted because of other games they become more likely.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If the only other group in matchmaking at your SR has multiple griefers in it, you should probably stop and come back later. They'll either have stopped playing, or have thrown so many games that they've fallen below your SR. Either way, you'll have preserved your rank and got away from them.

Or just play a larger sample of games in the first place because Overwatch is enormously populated and it's more likely that you won't get them over and over again.

I get this, it's more for that guy.

I know that I'll have to play another time, but thats lovely for people who can't just turn the game on at any point on only have certain blocks of time free.

Also generally lower ranked players that are knowledgeable (aka the ones who watch videos, train etc.) tend to be more bothered by obvious losses in things that they can physically see get better but can't necessarily make 2 pre-mades discussing movies over mic understand, or act on.

Like people making bastion an unstoppable force against a team with flankers is usually sad, and for both sides of the situation. The winning side learns nothing, and the losing side rams their face into bullets.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Redundant posted:

I am always sceptical when people talk about obscene runs of griefers or bad luck without at least a screenshot or something as proof. Not saying it didn't happen but sometimes you get rolled, and if you're already tilted because of other games they become more likely.

I thinkb they are reporting the negative instead of the normal.

Like how many people do you really think are logging on to say "I have had 12 brilliant matches today with well matched teams. We lost some, won some. but hey thats how it is?"

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Wow the forums are loving cancer.

Also they are massively in favour of nerfing Sym right now, like lol you know Sym, that hero who gets hard countered by Rein who's in every comp right now.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Honestly, saturday lunch time (PS4 EU Zone ~1800 rating) I had some time where the GF was napping and the dog was quiet so I played about 8 games of solo queue comp.

Had a real fuckin good time, won some, lost some but everyone was playing to win and looked like they were having fun. Folks were swapping out characters based on what wasn't working and swapping out for 1xtank and 1xhealer pre game which is all you can really ask for.

However normally I wouldn't post that in here cos to anyone who's not me it's probably boring as gently caress and no one cares.

I went back on late in the evening after having a small disagreement with the GF and tilted like gently caress, turned it back off after 2 games and went to play something turn based on the PC.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

SectumSempra posted:

I get this, it's more for that guy.

I know that I'll have to play another time, but thats lovely for people who can't just turn the game on at any point on only have certain blocks of time free.

Also generally lower ranked players that are knowledgeable (aka the ones who watch videos, train etc.) tend to be more bothered by obvious losses in things that they can physically see get better but can't necessarily make 2 pre-mades discussing movies over mic understand, or act on.

Like people making bastion an unstoppable force against a team with flankers is usually sad, and for both sides of the situation. The winning side learns nothing, and the losing side rams their face into bullets.

Those lower-ranked players who are knowledgeable have worse mechanical skills than similar rank people who are not knowledgeable, or else they wouldn't be the same rank. If you're playing in games with people significantly worse than you, you won't be in games with them for long because you'll win your way up.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 16, 2017

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

SectumSempra posted:

I thinkb they are reporting the negative instead of the normal.

Like how many people do you really think are logging on to say "I have had 12 brilliant matches today with well matched teams. We lost some, won some. but hey thats how it is?"
I get that people only report on the notable things, I just feel like those streaks end up devolving into confirmation bias. I've seen people come into a game already tilted because of a griefer or whatever and after the first fight doesn't go well they start calling somebody out and claiming that they're griefing (because of their pick, or because they're not having a great game etc). It's also really easy for that situation to devolve into poo poo slinging which always ends badly which only adds to the confirmation bias.

Once you have griefers on the brain and are tilted it's easy to see them everywhere for even the most minor of things. I have done dumb poo poo like accidentally leaping into a pit as Winston, it doesn't mean I'm griefing, but if you're on a witch hunt it is easy to blow things out of proportion.

9 times out of 10 calling out a griefer is just someone who is tilted finger pointing, same goes for most "it's my teams fault" type comments. It's why I always ask how people know their team mates were griefing.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

BillBear posted:

Also they are massively in favour of nerfing Sym right now, like lol you know Sym, that hero who gets hard countered by Rein who's in every comp right now.

Everyone is being lovely about her.

I think she's well tuned and something you need to react to. :shrug: I personally will make sure to watch out for her in all team fights if I even see anything of hers on map, I'll also focus on her being taken out if she's present.

If they make her weaker she'll be niche again, and pretty much just end up hiding and firing balls into crowds once she places her ult.

Papercut posted:

Those lower-ranked players who are knowledgeable have worse mechanical skills than similar rank people who are not knowledgeable, or else they wouldn't be the same rank. If you're playing in games with people significantly worse than you, you won't be in games with them for long because you'll win your way up.

I fully understand that they have lower mechanical skills. And this isn't something unique to overwatch.

You're just explaining something to me that isn't only evident but isn't lost on me.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 16, 2017

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

The issue with Sym is that she's perfectly counterable but, like D.Va, low level players don't know how to deal with her. So, like D.Va, they're clamoring to have her nerfed.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ersatz posted:

The issue with Sym is that she's perfectly counterable but, like D.Va, low level players don't know how to deal with her. So, like D.Va, they're clamoring to have her nerfed.

Except for the part where D. Va is one of the best heroes in the game and probably somewhat overtuned (although it's hard to tell unless you nerf Ana first), whereas Symmetra is a marginal pick even after the buff.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Man, everyone who has ever posted about competitive just makes it sound completely unfun on any level. I mean maybe it's the Yelp effect where the happy people don't say anything and people only post when they have complaints but

Nah comp is good. I haven't played much at all cuz I'm a big coward and I also don't really have time to grind (it seems like all of my matches go four rounds! Aahh) but you get games with people taking the game semi seriously and playing to win which leads to more exciting matches

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

SectumSempra posted:

Everyone is being lovely about her.

I think she's well tuned and something you need to react to. :shrug: I personally will make sure to watch out for her in all team fights if I even see anything of hers on map, I'll also focus on her being taken out if she's present.

I think it's because her Shield Ult stacks when there's more than one of her.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that only matters in one game mode, which most people don't play and is in the anything goes arcade

people don't like symmetra because it's really hard to beat her once she gets set up and random queue teams generally aren't coordinated enough to take out the defenders fast enough to stop it. it's not so much that she's too good as it is that generally teams are really bad about stopping her

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i think symmetra can be really good, but like people have said if you don't give her time to set up you can roll over 2 capture point maps really quick if they relied on her too much for the first point

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

BillBear posted:

IMO I think they made her M1 a little too good. Revert the range buff, or cut it in half? Feels like there's just been a bunch of situations on a bunch of heroes where I see a Sym coming at me and at that point it feels like my fate is sealed because it's so drat hard to escape once she gets into range, and with such generous aiming once it's locked she's incredibly free to evade your attempts to kill her.

Like what's symmetra's counter? I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm not sure what heroes should be strong against her. I thought Winston was supposed to be one, but her M1 shits all over him. Phara seems like another one, but the new barrier can be a good defense against that.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Related to the earlier talk, iddqd is ranking up an account from SR600 right now (not sure where he currently is, but he's still in Bastion slam-pick territory):
https://www.twitch.tv/iddqdow

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
When a potential client is screen sharing with you and you see this as their most visited sites:

:D I didn't want to detract with Overwatch commonality.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Like what's symmetra's counter?

Shooting her in the face, from more than 10 meters away.

Her M1 does not "poo poo all over Winston;" he wins that fight on the numbers even if she comes at him pre-charged.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Oxyclean posted:

IMO I think they made her M1 a little too good. Revert the range buff, or cut it in half? Feels like there's just been a bunch of situations on a bunch of heroes where I see a Sym coming at me and at that point it feels like my fate is sealed because it's so drat hard to escape once she gets into range, and with such generous aiming once it's locked she's incredibly free to evade your attempts to kill her.

Like what's symmetra's counter?

This is usually a response that I consider to be condescending and asinine, but in this situation, the counter is, straight up, to shoot her until she is dead.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
A modicum of aim, awareness and positioning is Symms counter.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

It can also be helpful to have a flanker who can find Symmetra's ult and blow it up.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Honestly these days I appreciate all the fearless battle Symmetras because it makes it a lot easier to kill them than when they're hanging back behind the rest of their team spamming M2 all day.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
First the Mei wall and then the pro Sombra tactic:
https://clips.twitch.tv/iddqdow/ShyOryxFunRun

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Redundant posted:

You keep your rating even if you drop down a tier. Those players almost certainly have plat level SR now and may well have just about made the cut to diamond after a streak of lucky wins. Having what appear to be unbalanced line ups happen a lot at the borders. If by rank you mean level, then that means absolutely nothing. If you mean SR then being the underdog means you lose less points.

If I would have thought to screen shot it I would have because it sounds unreal, I don't disagree.

I enjoyed comp in Season 1 and Season 2, especially season 2. The majority of my matches were even and lots of fun, even if I lost. All I want are evenly matched games because if I get that I don't care if I win or lose. Season 3 has been a nearly constant swing back and forth between stomping one game and getting stomped the next game. If ranked had been like that since day 1, I likely would not still be playing the game. If whatever Season 3 match making is doing becomes the norm I'm out, the game's not fun for me. I don't care much for the arcade game modes or quick play because it's chaos.

Lets get back to funny videos of Sombra recalling off the map!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If you really can't aim Winston will win the damage race and is also good at clearing turrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

the goal is to shoot symmetra before she gets to you if you can see, or don't keep heading towards her.

If she snuck up on you, unaware and you have a hard time shooting her, she won that one.

Even though her disengage distance was slightly increased, her engage distance is still the shortest in game and a lot of symmetras will start firing before they are within range so you'll hear this weird warpy noise before she starts to hit.