Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

You know, I don't want to engage in Utnayan again, but Jim used that dumb as hell Super Mario Odyssey to Sonic 06 comparison, and I'm just

Jim

Man

You're better than this

Yeah. I'm on board with taking the paid online, rental game feature, and light launch line-up to task, but since Mario Odyssey has come out, I'm convinced everyonr on the planet has forgotten what made Sonic 06' so notorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Im a graphics whore, but to be bothered by 60 dropping 59, got drat. I too wonder if he would have noticed without a chart.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'll be doing it correctly when I bust a fat nut, wipe my Switch off and cry while playing my monthly rental of Super Mario World or whatever old-enough-to-drink "free" title I get for the month.

ok then brother just make sure you have an official Hori screen protector and that you're practicing safe Switch (wear a joycondom)

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Zyste posted:

I'm not arguing that PS4 had the best versions of those games. But it had a very high adoption rate for a $400 console that played nicer looking versions of games that were available on consoles people already had.

It just seems naive for people to bemoan the few exclusive titles announced for the Switch when the PS4 wasn't exactly littered with high quality games worth the investment at launch.

Yeah it's the zillions of people who want to play Madden with nice graphics who are naive, not us connoisseurs of high quality portable jack off eye contact minigames.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah it's the zillions of people who want to play Madden with nice graphics who are naive, not us connoisseurs of high quality portable jack off eye contact minigames.

This, but unironically

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Not familiar with this Jim fellow but he does make some very good points, even if he's a bit over-dramatic. Also, don't agree with the Sonic thing at all.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah. I'm on board with taking the paid online, rental game feature, and light launch line-up to task, but since Mario Odyssey has come out, I'm convinced everyonr on the planet has forgotten what made Sonic 06' so notorious.

You gotta snag that low hanging fruit I guess

By these people's standards, they should be surprised Peach, Rosalina, and Daisy inhabit the same universe too, and yet...

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

lelandjs posted:

On one hand I'm fairly certain that Nintendo won't limit what can charge the Switch, but on the other hand PDP and Hori haven't announced external battery accessories yet so...

Could be that Nintendo will intentionally limit what can/can't charge the Switch so the media doesn't report extensively on exploding Switches because idiots buy $15 chargers from Alibaba that don't manage power correctly.

Given the incomprehensibly hosed state of USB Type-C I'd argue Nintendo has a duty to limit chargers.

On the other hand, I'd argue they'd also have a duty to let third-party accessory manufacturers know what's up to make chargers that work and don't suck, but the current state of human ethics is 'lol nothing matters' so.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

lelandjs posted:

ok then brother just make sure you have an official Hori screen protector and that you're practicing safe Switch (wear a joycondom)

My Switch has never been touched before so I'm raw doggin' it.

I want this drat thing in my hands already. The Switch I mean.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Really the only Sonic connection is the ugly-as-gently caress city with "normal" looking humans interacting with a videogame character depicted in their usual style. I'm not that concerned, but I sure hope they make that level a lot nicer looking before release because holy poo poo are those textures ugly as gently caress in the trailer, especially compared to the forest scenes later on.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I mean the whole point of Odyssey seems to be Mario is going to different universes.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

greatn posted:

I mean the whole point of Odyssey seems to be Mario is going to different universes.

I mean, I guess the concept of Mario being dropped into a PS2-era GTA game is pretty cool but I don't think it's what they're going for.

[Edit: New Donk City: Mushroom Kindom Wars]

[Edit edit: Mushroom Kingdom Auto: Tales from New Donk City is probably funnier]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 16, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

lelandjs posted:

Really the only Sonic connection is the ugly-as-gently caress city with "normal" looking humans interacting with a videogame character depicted in their usual style. I'm not that concerned, but I sure hope they make that level a lot nicer looking before release because holy poo poo are those textures ugly as gently caress in the trailer, especially compared to the forest scenes later on.

This is my only issue with the Mario title, it looks so loving off and weird seeing Mario run around in a city with creepy people out of a Twilight Zone episode and it all looks like it's ripped out of a Dreamcast game. I liked all of the other areas we've seen but the city looks bad because it's so ugly and dreary.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

lelandjs posted:

Check prerelease footage of 3D World, the textures are always the last things to get polished up

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Mario is definitely going to kiss one of those grey pants suit clone women.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

greatn posted:

It's a-me, nobody!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RBA Starblade posted:

It's a-me, nobody!

A plumber does not have a name.

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

Utnayan posted:

This guy basically sums up everything that is wrong with the Switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fH_wl8ceAg

I really tried, but how can anybody take that guy seriously.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?

Fair enough, Takoluka, fair enough.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Flumbooze posted:

I enjoy watching Jim poo poo on companies and gamergate. It's good clean fun.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The switch doesn't even have any physical switches what a rip off

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?

well why not posted:

what's it like being a nintendo shill?

Guys I am not a Nintendo shill, but I am a shill for Tetsuya Takahashi. I'm sorry if this comes as shocking news to some of you.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

New Donk City looks fine to me. But then this is a character who got his start scaling buildings and going into construction areas with city backdrops. In fact, given it's the first world the trailer shows us and the thing is named "New Donk City and he's seen leaping out of the freaking sewer makes it feel all the more appropriate to me for a Mario game.

Just make it look a bit nicer and I'm good to go.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
no one really thinks mario odyssey is gonna be bad like sonic 2006, it's just funny how much the imagery of mario in a realistic city brings it to mind

it is... a joke, you might say

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

dont be mean to me posted:

Given the incomprehensibly hosed state of USB Type-C I'd argue Nintendo has a duty to limit chargers.

On the other hand, I'd argue they'd also have a duty to let third-party accessory manufacturers know what's up to make chargers that work and don't suck, but the current state of human ethics is 'lol nothing matters' so.
Yeah officially licensed solutions would be nice just for the clusterfuck that is USB-C right now. Or at least maybe something more integrated for portable play I guess.

But anyway for battery packs I'd guess compatibility will just come down to how much power the Switch needs to pull. USB power delivery does up to 100W but power adapters can be seemingly be anything below that. Like there's something like 45 and 85W ones for the new MacBook Pros, and I think you can charge some of those with lower wattage adapters like 12-25W iPad ones slowly when sleeping. I'd guess the usual phone/tablet USB battery packs are probably too low output, but the fatter USB-C ones with higher output might do the trick.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

It was 4 or 5 months after launch.

EDIT - looked it up and it was 2 months after launch. drat, as a kid it felt like FOREVER before games started coming out for it. Turns it that it was a small delay.

November 1st. N64 came out on Sept 28th. That's 1 month and 2 days.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

is there going to be a superman 64 remake for teh switch

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ethanol posted:

It's gonna be the first multiplayer VC title that comes with the paid online subscription.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

^drat

ethanol posted:

March's free virtual console game rental.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
New Donk city has giant red girders, a Krool Street, a Dixie, Expresso, and Rambi street, and an ad for Diddy's store. It's in Donkey Kong world or a world based on Donkey Kong.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

dont be mean to me posted:

The last thing we need is even more proprietary bullshit using USB C.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I thought I read on some website what the first three months of free games were, but who knows if that was just ~*~fake news~*~.

They weren't Superman 64, but they were three games I've never heard of (two NES and one SNES), so they were probably just as lovely.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Donkey Kong invented Mario so he's just returning to his roots

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Astro7x posted:

November 1st. N64 came out on Sept 28th. That's 1 month and 2 days.

I saw September and November ok

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Flumbooze posted:

I have not watched any of his other videos. I just saw this one and listened to the points he made about a poor value for it's online service when compared to the competition, and Nintendo's over priced controllers. Two very hot button topics and things I think need to be addressed along with confirming USB storage for the console.

Microsoft made huge errors and lapses in judgement before the launch of the X1. And they made the corrections after a lot of negative opinion. What is sad here are that the folks from Nintendo Japan will fall on a dagger to the chest and a fatal gun shot to the head Samurai style before they make some fairly simple and value added changes that need to be made to avoid another Wii U debacle.

Limited launch line up, some game play weirdness with the joycon's, hardware limitations - those are easily swayed away if they just come out with good games (Which they will eventually) with 1st party titles. The changes they need to make are to their online service component value add (Like... adding any value at all at this point when compared to the competition) and dropping the price on accessories across the board by 20% to reasonable expectations will be needed if this thing is going to stand a chance. As of right now, those two major issues alone are insults to customer value beyond what was expected for Nintendo to try and pull off.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 16, 2017

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
Not sure if been posted yet but Konami issued a press release confirming Super Bomberman includes a robust 50+ stage story mode, photo real graphics, and 8-player online play. This game is quickly shaping up to be the Switch's killer app at launch.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The talk about the controllers is poorly researched.

And that's the last thing I'm gonna say to Utnayan

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
We can always just wait and see what happens. I haven't spent any money yet and I have until March to cancel my preorders. They have over a month to clarify things, listen to people's reactions and possibly change. Microsoft went back when everyone was upset about games being locked to accounts, Nintendo could always see what people think and change. And if you don't like how online works, don't use it. Nintendo will see if their plan works by seeing how many people are willing to pay for it. If the online community goes from bustling while it's free to a ghost town, they'll know they need to change things.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

enojy posted:

I thought I read on some website what the first three months of free games were, but who knows if that was just ~*~fake news~*~.

They weren't Superman 64, but they were three games I've never heard of (two NES and one SNES), so they were probably just as lovely.

It is a joke, Superman 64 is on every "worst game of all time" list published since its release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Mr President posted:

Not sure if been posted yet but Konami issued a press release confirming Super Bomberman includes a robust 50+ stage story mode, photo real graphics, and 8-player online play. This game is quickly shaping up to be the Switch's killer app at launch.

Who the gently caress asked for photo real bomberman graphics. Who is this rear end in a top hat.

• Locked thread