Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

rabidsquid posted:

isnt todd anderson the dude who mooched off of his girlfriend and made her cry about his pathetic life or was that someone else

I think the part part of being a MTG pro is having mooching skills. See Jeff hoogland, owen, and others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MiddleEastBeast posted:

probably. he also is the guy who, when gerry thompson was leaving scg, wrote a long weepy ode to gerry that basically turned into a really lovely piece of self-therapeutic garbage where todd was forced to re-evaluate his life after punching out gerry at a denny's in the middle of bumfuck nowhere after getting hammered after some scg tourney, because todd is a loser who sucks

This is beautiful.
I bet Gerry was playing G/W tokens at the time.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

I think the part part of being a MTG pro is having mooching skills. See Jeff hoogland, owen, and others.

The day I ask my wife (or anyone else) to pay for this dumb hobby is the day I dump it all. More power to the gaming people that can hustle others into paying for this stuff but I couldn't live with myself, especially not for the price tag of Magic.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

DangerDongs posted:

This is beautiful.
I bet Gerry was playing G/W tokens at the time.

sorry it was a Waffle House and the story is even better than i remembered (Alex = Alex Bertoncini btw lol):

quote:

After another hour or so it was closing time and we were starving. At that hour the only place open was Waffle House, and I was actually quite a fan. I mean, where else can you get freshly-cooked scramble eggs and a waffle at three in the morning? My friend Blair, who had driven me in the first place, was the designated driver, and he took Alex, Gerry, and I along with him. On the ride there, Alex and Gerry were horsing around in the back seat, and at some point Alex decided it would be hilarious to pull on my seatbelt. After successfully choking me with my own seatbelt, I gagged and threw up all the beer I had been drinking over the last few hours. Luckily, I hadn't eaten since noon-ish, so it wasn't as gross as it sounds, but I was absolutely furious.

I told Alex that, when we got to Waffle House, one of us was going to jail and the other was going to the hospital. At that moment, I honestly don't think I cared which of us went where. When we stepped out of the car, Alex put his dukes up, and I nearly charged him. Gerry, being the mediator, stepped between us. Obviously, he didn't want us to do anything that stupid and get in trouble. He also knew that there was a bit of frustration between us, and opted for an alternate solution.

"If you're going to hit someone, you might as well just hit me. You know you want to."

I was furious. I felt my ears begin to boil, and my fingers clinched. And for a moment in time, everything froze. Black frost covering my eyes. Darkness.

*crack*

The sound of my knuckles against his jaw was like ice breaking. He staggered backwards and his knees buckled. I still remember the look on his face. Disbelief. Confusion. Pain. He looked up at me as I held out my hand to help him up, and I knew he wasn't all there. His eyes were glassy until finally he reached out and took my hand.

He darted to the bathroom, and I saw that his mouth was bleeding a little bit when he came back to sit down at a table. After a while we ordered some food, but the look on the waitress said it all. She had seen the scene outside, and asked if everything was alright. Gerry looked up, paper towel on his lip, and calmly replied:

"Everything's fine."

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

"wow holy poo poo what a badasss!!!!" - the response todd anderson was hoping for

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

MiddleEastBeast posted:

sorry it was a Waffle House and the story is even better than i remembered (Alex = Alex Bertoncini btw lol):

:lol: what the gently caress.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I struggle to understand why one would even share that story?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ShaneB posted:

I struggle to understand why one would even share that story?

rabidsquid posted:

"wow holy poo poo what a badasss!!!!" - the response todd anderson was hoping for

he's secretly proud of it. that's it. that's the whole thing.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
he threw up on himself and they still went to the waffle house

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Terrible Horse posted:

This is an important observation

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Terrible Horse posted:

Waffle House at four in the morning is fantastic because someone who threw up on themselves wouldn't feel so out of place. Whatever hosed up crisis your life is in, you'll fit in at Waffle House.

GerryT is a good person.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

he's secretly proud of it. that's it. that's the whole thing.

Basically. He is a real piece of poo poo.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Basically. He is a real piece of poo poo.

That story is pretty hosed up but I've found him to be a nice enough guy... Idk.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

MiddleEastBeast posted:

probably. he also is the guy who, when gerry thompson was leaving scg, wrote a long weepy ode to gerry that basically turned into a really lovely piece of self-therapeutic garbage where todd was forced to re-evaluate his life after punching out gerry at a denny's in the middle of bumfuck nowhere after getting hammered after some scg tourney, because todd is a loser who sucks

oh my loving god

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

sit on my Facebook posted:

For your consideration;

Karate Thop
4 Shielded Aether Thief
4 Whirler Virtuoso
3 Pia Nalaar
3 Maverick Thopterist

4 Aethersphere Harvester

2 Decoction Module
2 Era of Innovation
1 Fabrication Module
1 Saheeli Rai

4 Harnassed Lightning
4 Shock
2 Aether Meltdown

3 Glimmer of Genius

4 Wandering Fumarole
4 Spirebluff Canal
4 Aether Hub
5 Island
6 Mountain

If you know anything about me you know I really like making lots of Thopter tokens. This is very first-drafty but it's a lot of fun. Sideboard would be a few counterspells, a few burn spells, another Saheeli or two, and maybe some Implements of Combustion or Consulate Turrets depending on which I decide is better against Copy Cat Combo. Suggestions are welcome.

My kingdom for a Hangarback Walker....

My thopter buddy :)

I'm gonna review this later

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

That story can't be true. I refuse to believe that someone working at a Waffle House would blink at a fight in the parking lot.

Standard deck talk: I don't know that R/B aggro is salvageable with the loss of Copter. It enabled everything you wanted for the deck. The deck was super fun though, so here is a replacement list for your critique/scoffs:

https://deckbox.org/sets/1600934

4 Bloodhall Priest
4 Bomat Courier
4 Inventor's Apprentice
4 Olivia, Mobilized for War
4 Scrapheap Scrounger

3 Fatal Push
4 Fiery Temper
3 Lightning Axe
4 Unlicensed Disintegration

3 Key to the City

4 Foreboding Ruins
9 Mountain
4 Smoldering Marsh
6 Swamp

Sideboard:

2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
2 Goblin Dark-Dwellers
2 Lost Legacy
3 Pick the Brain
3 Shock
3 Transgress the Mind

Olivia comes in as the discount store replacement for Copter. The loot ability is sorely missed, but she can utilize discard to accelerate another creature while still enabling madness (and also delirium if you sideboard into PtB).
With Copter gone, I think a lot of Pia's utility went with it since the other artifact creatures don't have evasion. Replaced her with Fatal Push as more instant-speed removal for now, but I've also thought about giving those slots to Metallic Mimic (name either Construct or Vampire for the ability). MM would also be another artifact for enabling Nerd Ape.
Replaced Galvanic Bombardment in the sideboard with Shock. Fatal Push is better at creature removal, and more direct player damage might be the difference in a race.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

MiddleEastBeast posted:

holy poo poo! piiiiiiiss!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Terrible Horse posted:

waffle house is perfect drunk food

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

araeris posted:

That story can't be true. I refuse to believe that someone working at a Waffle House would blink at a fight in the parking lot.

Standard deck talk: I don't know that R/B aggro is salvageable with the loss of Copter. It enabled everything you wanted for the deck. The deck was super fun though, so here is a replacement list for your critique/scoffs:

https://deckbox.org/sets/1600934

4 Bloodhall Priest
4 Bomat Courier
4 Inventor's Apprentice
4 Olivia, Mobilized for War
4 Scrapheap Scrounger

3 Fatal Push
4 Fiery Temper
3 Lightning Axe
4 Unlicensed Disintegration

3 Key to the City

4 Foreboding Ruins
9 Mountain
4 Smoldering Marsh
6 Swamp

Sideboard:

2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
2 Goblin Dark-Dwellers
2 Lost Legacy
3 Pick the Brain
3 Shock
3 Transgress the Mind

Olivia comes in as the discount store replacement for Copter. The loot ability is sorely missed, but she can utilize discard to accelerate another creature while still enabling madness (and also delirium if you sideboard into PtB).
With Copter gone, I think a lot of Pia's utility went with it since the other artifact creatures don't have evasion. Replaced her with Fatal Push as more instant-speed removal for now, but I've also thought about giving those slots to Metallic Mimic (name either Construct or Vampire for the ability). MM would also be another artifact for enabling Nerd Ape.
Replaced Galvanic Bombardment in the sideboard with Shock. Fatal Push is better at creature removal, and more direct player damage might be the difference in a race.

4 Olivia's is too much. She is a legendary and despite being discard fodder its just not very optimal. She also doesn't have very good targets for her trigger outside of scrounger in your list.

B/R biggest issue is that the mana sucks. Its hard to be aggro with turn 1 drops without fast lands.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 16, 2017

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mcmagic posted:

That story is pretty hosed up but I've found him to be a nice enough guy... Idk.

anyone can be nice sometimes, but it takes a real special person to puke on yourself and then punch somebody because you're jealous of them

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

mandatory lesbian posted:

waffle house is perfect drunk food

not arguing that, but jeez, swing back to the hotel for a second first

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

no, he had to put a mother fucker in the hospital, theres no time

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Terrible Horse posted:

It looks like someone hasn't been to a Waffle House before.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

sit on my Facebook posted:

For your consideration;

Karate Thop
4 Shielded Aether Thief
4 Whirler Virtuoso
3 Pia Nalaar
3 Maverick Thopterist

4 Aethersphere Harvester

2 Decoction Module
2 Era of Innovation
1 Fabrication Module
1 Saheeli Rai

4 Harnessed Lightning
4 Shock
2 Aether Meltdown

3 Glimmer of Genius

4 Wandering Fumarole
4 Spirebluff Canal
4 Aether Hub
5 Island
6 Mountain

If you know anything about me you know I really like making lots of Thopter tokens. This is very first-drafty but it's a lot of fun. Sideboard would be a few counterspells, a few burn spells, another Saheeli or two, and maybe some Implements of Combustion or Consulate Turrets depending on which I decide is better against Copy Cat Combo. Suggestions are welcome.

My kingdom for a Hangarback Walker....

Jammed this briefly online and it was amusing, I almost lived the dream of Decoction + Era + Virtuoso but it was not to be. Jammed 2 Crackdown Constructs and 3 Built to Smash in the sideboard to add another transformative gimmick but it didn't work too well. The turrets worked ok.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How does Waffle House rate compared to IHOP?

Only the important MTG questions.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Rinkles posted:

IHOP is significantly classier, which is saying something

Waffle House is exactly for drunk people who have just vomited.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rinkles posted:

Lucky for me, I live in NJ where there is a random Diner on pretty much every corner that is a fuckton better than either Waffle House or IHOP.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

mcmagic posted:

Lucky for me, I live in NJ

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

You beat me to it. :smith:

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Food tastes better but is far greasier. Food also comes out faster and is cheaper. Waffle Houses waffle quality is far higher than IHOP's pancake quality.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

:sigh:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

Lucky for me, I live in NJ where there is a random Diner on pretty much every corner that is a fuckton better than either Waffle House or IHOP.

This is the only thing I miss about living in eastern PA.

Also we went to Waffle House once for Christmas breakfast with my sister and my niece and it was pretty good and IHOP has never been "pretty good" so there's empirical proof that Waffle House is better.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Got first at prerelease with GBu energy splashing blue for Trophy Mage & Rogue Refiner. Pulled Aethersphere Harvester (hence the Trophy Mage) and got the Energy Bob as my promo (hence the energy subtheme). Shoutouts to the Cat Monkey 2/2 for the insane synergy with Silkweaver Elite & Armorcraft Judge. Aether Poisoner was pretty great with some fight spells, and the insane one-sided fight that give Trample + Vigilance. Not a single masterpiece was opened, but it was a really fun event.

e: Oh yeah, Vengeful Rebel is also pretty good, stole me a comeback from 1 life after a 'desperation attack' feint.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Every story about Todd Anderson I hear just makes him seem like a terrible human being. It is really bizarre that when he is doing his Vs video stuff he seems like a nice person, but between his twitter meltdowns, MTGO chat meltdowns, getting drunk and punching GerryT (seriously, what the gently caress?), and inability to take a loss on camera... Geez.

suicidesteve posted:

That's not actually random unless you pile shuffle afterwards.
I love you, suicidesteve

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Honestly in that case, even though Todd may be a shitlord himself, I'm going to say it was GerryT's fault for getting in the way of a man ready to punch Alex Bertoncini

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
how loving sheltered are you people where a guy in his 20s getting drunk and punching his friend is some huge scandal

lol at that story getting published and Todd getting paid for it though

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
So I was on Dredge since it was cheap & I like graveyard strats, but with it gone I decided to buy into Bubble Hulk. I found a couple very different lists from American and Japanese players that looks promising.

American: http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern/developing-competitive-modern/649266-bubble-hulk?page=18#c454
Japanese: http://www.hareruyamtg.com/en/k/kD05174W/

Anyway, does anyone here have experience playing with or against it?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Hot tip: Dredge isn't dead. (Especially with people taking all of their graveyard hate out, now.)

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I have some Golgari Thugs and will keep playing it, but I want to build a new deck & Hulk is cheap enough that I can budget it out to maybe a month or so. It'll be nice to have more than one deck to play. The other one I want to play is Affinity, but it's comparatively expensive, and I don't think it's very well positioned in my meta (lots of Jeskai control & Grixis delver, but I'm admittedly not experienced with Affinity's matchups).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

little munchkin posted:

how loving sheltered are you people where a guy in his 20s getting drunk and punching his friend is some huge scandal

lol at that story getting published and Todd getting paid for it though

Seriously my friends have done way more painful stuff to each other over the years than one drunken shiner

• Locked thread