Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

SteelMentor posted:

Apparently the Craftworld Eldar are getting an Astra Millitarium style rename to "Aeldari", according to a couple of BL writers. Deldar are also getting a name change.

That was according to a quote by Ahriman in that teaser video. I don't know if that will really apply since that's an in-universe quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Oh I know about that, but some of the BL guys were talking about it on Tumblr in response to some fans asking what the hell Aeldari meant. Apparently this has been in the works for a long time.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Well once again it's a new name they can trademark vs one they don't control. Still as dumb as Orruks and Aelves.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
It's bizarre they want to erode their brand like this

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

The JessS Tyranid Fandex has some mobility options that aren't too insane (and even make Pyrovores usable). Specifically a rule for some units called Ravenous Advance, which allows an additional 3" movement, and that treats all charges <6" as 6".

I read this codex before, it seems overpowered in my opinion and wouldn't ask my friends to play against it. Expendable seems super strong, easily being able to run a charge with everything. I mean just look at the hormaguant, making it a beast, making all its upgrades 2 points per model (including endless swarm), allowing them to run and charge, and they get rage? That makes it so easy to get a turn one charge off with them... Not sure who this codex is for but if I asked a friend to play a codex and just stomp them with it they will think I am a jerk, I would tend to agree with them.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

SteelMentor posted:

Oh I know about that, but some of the BL guys were talking about it on Tumblr in response to some fans asking what the hell Aeldari meant. Apparently this has been in the works for a long time.

What BL dudes are on Tumblr?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Turn 1 charge is only for marines from nowhere, agreed.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Aeldari in the Time of Ending. Will the Adeptus Stormcastus prevail?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Celestine is a stormcast eternal.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Mango Polo posted:

Turn 1 charge is only for marines from nowhere, agreed.

I think turn one charging your friends as space marines is a jerk move as well. I guess I just don't see the point of running a super powerful fandex in a casual game.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I think turn one charging your friends as space marines is a jerk move as well. I guess I just don't see the point of running a super powerful fandex in a casual game.

Khornedogs can also do it I think? Khornedogging is more in line with nids.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SRM posted:

Pretty much all of them. Just search tumblr for BL and you'll find a ton of good stuff

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Can't wait to be the Adarki Aeldari. Led by Aedrubiali Avecti.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

I've got Robbie MacNiven, the guy who wrote the Space Shark book, bookmarked at least. Dunno about anyone else.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's a stupid name but given that they would most likely use it like Astra Militarum, ie only in formal context and advertising, I don't care that much.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 16, 2017

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It's a stupid name but given that they would most likely use it like Astra Militarum, ie only in formal context and advertising, I don't care that much.

Straight from the horse's mouth that this is exactly the case.

Aeldari is their name for themselves. Everyone else calls them the Eldar.

I'm curious to see what Dark Eldar call themselves, since it's apparently not that. Commori?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Apart from anything else, Eldar and Aeldar are pronounced the same way, Aeldari simply alters the collective noun with a cod latin flourish.

All this means is that we can add "Ale-dar-eye" to "turrent" and "lasegun" on the list of things illiterate idiots say on youtube.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Apart from anything else, Eldar and Aeldar are pronounced the same way, Aeldari simply alters the collective noun with a cod latin flourish.

All this means is that we can add "Ale-dar-eye" to "turrent" and "lasegun" on the list of things illiterate idiots say on youtube.

Fun game: Ask 10 people how to pronounce "Skitarii", and get 10 different responses.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
"Ee-eye," "Eye-eye," and "Eye" are the ones I'm aware of.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I self identify as an Aeldari

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Fun game: Ask 10 people how to pronounce "Skitarii", and get 10 different responses.

[Vietnam flashbacks intensify]

I've heard some hilarious pronunciations of Carcharadons since that book came out.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I forgot "eye-ee."

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What about just plain, ol' "ee"?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That as well. "Ee-eye" is the correct way of saying it, by the way. I learnt that from Rome Total War.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJJPce-e_zU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

That as well. "Ee-eye" is the correct way of saying it, by the way. I learnt that from Rome Total War.

Our Lord Duncan pronounces it "Skit-are-ee".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIDSZ4xRZ4U

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

"Skittles"

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Skit-er-ee

Ski-tar-y

Skit-eyre-ey

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
:siren: Sorry to interrupt pronunciation chat, but I just posted the new 40k Badcast! :siren:

In it, we talk Orks, Orcs, and Space Ork(c)s. You can download it from iTunes, get it from 40kbadcast.com (whenever SRM adds it to the site) or go here for a direct download: http://traffic.libsyn.com/40kbadcast/badcast_02_01.12.2017_FINAL.mp3

Our libsyn directory is here: http://40kbadcast.libsyn.com/

Any way you take, it, I hope you enjoy it. Please feel free to continue arguing about space elfs or whatever the gently caress.

The Sex Cannon fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 17, 2017

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Space Oourks

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
car care uh dons

skit are ee

roo boot gill ih man

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Roberta Williams

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Neck-ons

Treeaneeds

Nuggle

Slameesh

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

The Sex Cannon posted:

Sorry to interrupt pronunciation chat, but I just posted the new 40k Badcast!

BA-eyed-Ka-EST

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
When did Guilliman first show up?

I have now convinced myself his name was a misguided attempt by some nerd at GW to woo the alleged swinger and certified fox, Roberta Williams.

EDIT: Whoops this didn't post earlier.
I think the latin pronunciation is
code:
skI-ta:-rI-i:
but I say it the way Duncan says it.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

When did Guilliman first show up?
Rogue Trader.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
My timeline checks out.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

It's probably EE-ee if we're going to get technical. Rome Total War wasn't made with a whole lot of Latin scholarship.

But this is GW pig latin so who cares

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I should also say I've heard the "ee-eye" from military historians, it just so happens that that sound file plays in my head whenever it comes up.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

hello everyone i wanted to know how you are doing and what stage of grief you are in wrt 40k getting blown up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Mango Polo posted:

Please be real because that's so retarded I love it.

But Eldar is already a unique unique they can copyright, why change it. To match the Aelfs?

It's not. Tolkien used 'Eldar' as a fancy name for elves in the LotR books, and GW basically stole the name like just about every fantasy game steals from him.

• Locked thread