Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I get the Wall Street Journal for free and I still feel like I'm overpaying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Is it soft enough to use as toilet paper?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Regarding One Piece chat, I sort of objectively realize it's good but can't enjoy it. Something about the character designs and the personality of the protagonist bothers me. I intellectually know the character designs are really good, but just don't enjoy them, and Luffy has always felt sort of soulless to me, like some vessel for a bundle of shounen protagonist traits. Like, he's the sort of character that might suddenly murder a random innocent person and smile while doing it and saying it's part of the adventure.

You got your Team FourStar Goku in my One Piece!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

RareAcumen posted:

You got your Team FourStar Goku in my One Piece!

Look, Vegeta! It's a Pokémon!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Fabricated posted:

Luffy really isn't that a great of a role-model.

-

Midoriya and All Might I like a lot more because their flaws are more human and they're both deeply empathetic, actually selfless people.

My big problem with Luffy is that he doesn't use his head as much as other shonen protagonists (who already tend to be hot heads) which makes him boring, somewhat flat and static. When you're running as long as One Piece is the lack of character growth becomes pretty noticeable especially compared to other characters (his crew especially.)
It reminds me too much of Ash from Pokemon and how he would forget life/Pokemon lessons and morals when changing seasons so the writers could do the same arcs again.

Meanwhile, everyone in MHA uses their head a bit and shows growth. Even All Might (the 'Teaching for Dummies' book moment :allears:) It makes them all more interesting and dynamic.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

EponymousMrYar posted:

My big problem with Luffy is that he doesn't use his head as much as other shonen protagonists (who already tend to be hot heads) which makes him boring, somewhat flat and static. When you're running as long as One Piece is the lack of character growth becomes pretty noticeable especially compared to other characters (his crew especially.)
It reminds me too much of Ash from Pokemon and how he would forget life/Pokemon lessons and morals when changing seasons so the writers could do the same arcs again.

Meanwhile, everyone in MHA uses their head a bit and shows growth. Even All Might (the 'Teaching for Dummies' book moment :allears:) It makes them all more interesting and dynamic.

Luffy's said that his role as part of the crew is to beat the people the rest of them can't, so I don't really mind him remaining a lunkhead. Everybody else gets character development, he gets stronger punches and louder shouts about friendship or meat or whatever.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

TriffTshngo posted:

Luffy's said that his role as part of the crew is to beat the people the rest of them can't, so I don't really mind him remaining a lunkhead. Everybody else gets character development, he gets stronger punches and louder shouts about friendship or meat or whatever.

And in a show where part of the appeal is wacky powers used in wacky ways, stronger punches and louder shouts are really, really boring. :v:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TriffTshngo posted:

Do they? Like, I guess in the arcs where they're introduced, but for the most part One Piece characters aren't super dynamic. I mean Sanji's getting a big arc right now, but those type of things don't happen too often in One Piece outside of like a couple of small moments for every character.

It's a fairly simple series in regards to how it treats the characters. I don't want to say the characters are boring or lackluster they just don't change much.

EponymousMrYar posted:

And in a show where part of the appeal is wacky powers used in wacky ways, stronger punches and louder shouts are really, really boring. :v:

I don't think i've ever heard of One Piece's wacky powers being a hook for it honestly.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Glad to hear Luffy is a psychopath and One piece is a dark broody manga for adult men. Was worried about my choice of media betraying my radical attitude and hard boiled persona.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
All this shade being thrown on my boy Luffy is inexcusable :colbert:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Do they? Like, I guess in the arcs where they're introduced, but for the most part One Piece characters aren't super dynamic. I mean Sanji's getting a big arc right now, but those type of things don't happen too often in One Piece outside of like a couple of small moments for every character.

It's a fairly simple series in regards to how it treats the characters. I don't want to say the characters are boring or lackluster they just don't change much.

I mean I didn't say there was a LOT of it.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Vengarr posted:

I think the original Big Three were Dragonball Z, Yuu Yuu Hakusho, and Slam Dunk.

Pretty sure the original original Big Three were Dragonball, Fist of the North Star, and JoJo.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Three

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'll give ya my Big Three.

:negative:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Is there a current Big Three, from a Western standpoint?

One Piece, My Hero Academia... Food Wars? Probably Black Clover, actually. I assume the Big Three title can only refer to battle manga.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

No mention of One Punch Man?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Is there a current Big Three, from a Western standpoint?

One Piece, My Hero Academia... Food Wars? Probably Black Clover, actually. I assume the Big Three title can only refer to battle manga.

I think it's Black Clover, though it's in sort of a rough spot right now I think.

I've stated this before, but the Big 3 in Korea have the same acronym.

One Piece (원피스), Naruto (나루토), Bleach (블리치) make 원나블.
One Piece (원피스), MHA (나의 히어로 아카데미아), Black Clover (블랙 클로버) still make 원나블.

It's neat.

And meant to be.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

PMush Perfect posted:

No mention of One Punch Man?

I think it's limited to Shounen Jump.

HxH is not counted cause it's always on hiatus I assume.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It is. :colbert:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

sharktamer posted:

Glad to hear Luffy is a psychopath and One piece is a dark broody manga for adult men. Was worried about my choice of media betraying my radical attitude and hard boiled persona.

Luffy could be terrifying because if he were to ever get really disillusioned with people his power could lead to him being a monster in a different series about crushing depression

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Weekly Young Jump Digital doesn't count!!!!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Shugojin posted:

Luffy could be terrifying because if he were to ever get really disillusioned with people his power could lead to him being a monster in a different series about crushing depression

and all might could have been like superman in injustice but that's not what happened

half the cast of dbz could blow up the world if they felt like it

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Heres what I think these guys powers are:

1. Vault Boy. This guy can go in walls and floors. Another power is coming back out of them.
2. Girl. This one is a woman.
3. Sauske. This guy is dangerous - he can copy any technique just by watching it, and can place his enemies under strange illusions. Also, he has a hawk.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Hate-Senpai posted:

I think it's limited to Shounen Jump.

HxH is not counted cause it's always on hiatus I assume.

Correct about both, I adore HxH but it's unreliable. One Punch Man also isn't weekly, it's Whenever-The-Heck-Murata-releases, so I stick to what's in the core magazine.

Shame about Clover, I haven't read the newest chapters since I left my iPhone in America and can only access my WSJ through the app on it here in Japan. I think it tripped in introducing novel-only characters into the main story, but I was still enjoying it well enough. That's hecka interesting about the Korean abbreviations though, so I will take that as confirmation.

I guess World Trigger could be in there, but I don't feel like it's as popular as any of them and I think it suffers since its combat is basically the only thing it has going for it. I like the characters, but at the same time I could not tell you anyone's name outside of Tamakoma-2.

wait a second this isn't the misc shounen thread

EDIT: Regarding the relevant Big Three, I think a Shadowcat-esque power would be really cool for Vault Boy, and would also make imaging what he's doing in the walls between appearing next to Deku to appearing behind him heckin funny.

Also I think maybe his design is referencing this mascot, Peko-chan, which seems like a pretty Horikoshi thing to do.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 16, 2017

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The issue with Black Clover was that the author suddenly decided to bring in characters from a light novel.

Which is... questionable at best, because bringing in characters that requires your readers to have read something else and making it a major plot point is not a great idea because most people will just be hella confused.

That said, I'm pretty happy about how it ended, and the arcs before that were great, so I've got a lot of hope that it'll return to top form.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
World Trigger is also on hiatus. :negative:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

My friends tell me that the Big Three distinction was also made in Chinese web forums, referring specifically to One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach, so I don't think it's exclusive to the western fandom.

One the topic of the Big Three title and what qualifies for it, these serializations were singled out by fans not just because of their popularity at the time, but for the sheer durability and visibility of that popularity. They remained the three most popular, and best-selling, serializations in Weekly Shonen Jump from 2004 to 2010. When you remember how cutthroat competition in Jump is, that kind of staying power is incredible (recall how there was a bit of handwringing in this very thread when Black Clover managed to overtake MHA in popularity for a month). Not each serialization alone, but all three of them together. For the bulk of the aughts, they were effectively the face of the magazine. This doesn't mean they're all the best selling of all time, as Dragonball and, last I checked, Kochikame beat two out of the three. (It's kind of common knowledge One Piece is the best selling manga in history going just by book sales alone, though I'm pretty sure Dragonball has the lead in global licensing) It's just that there was a conspicuously long period of time where these three dominated WSJ's popularity rankings and biannual sales charts, hence why they would be recognized for that accomplishment.

But that aside, Slam Dunk was actually kind of ridiculously huge in its heyday wasn't it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

My big problem with Luffy is that he doesn't use his head as much as other shonen protagonists (who already tend to be hot heads) which makes him boring, somewhat flat and static.

His most recent battle consisted of him literally eating the enemy's attacks for a full day, vulcanizing his bloated body so that it was an unbreakable balloon, and sumo belly-bumping his opponent several miles away.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Oxxidation posted:

His most recent battle consisted of him literally eating the enemy's attacks for a full day, vulcanizing his bloated body so that it was an unbreakable balloon, and sumo belly-bumping his opponent several miles away.

It. Was. Awesome.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

He is being extremely literal with this description, btw.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
To bring it back to MHA, the context of each story matters a lot to how their protagonists are portrayed. MHA takes place in a lawful but precarious society that relies on strong role models and moral values to maintain order in a world where at least twenty percent of the population could probably cause serious property damage with their bare hands, so All Might and Midoriya's moral uprightedness makes sense - Midoriya's thing is constantly showing people that there's value in goodness and self-sacrifice, even as the bad guys keep encouraging selfishness and anarchy. Ordinarily he'd still be boring as sin, but the fact that he takes his goodness too far, to the point where it's in danger of permanently crippling him, is what makes him compelling. MHA makes it clear that if you want to serve as an example to people, then morality has to be backed up with strength. Midoriya and Bakugou both embody one of those two qualities but are lacking in the other, and they're both competing to see who can first claim the mantle from All Might, who until recently was a paragon of both.

On the other hand, One Piece is basically viewed from the PoV of the world's criminals - all the fun is had out on the high seas, which are in a state of anarchy, and most of the Government officials and other leaders the protagonists meet are schemers and sociopaths who keep trying to choke out the more civic-minded people in their organizations. The protagonists don't owe allegiance to anyone but themselves and their ideals, which is why the comic's capital-T Theme is "dreams" and how they clash. In that context, Luffy is pretty much an ideal protagonist, warts and all - he's dumb as a brick and not good for much besides punching people, but his completely unbreakable conviction and values of camaraderie and personal freedom still let him make a good example for other people. He's basically a lanky little bulldozer smashing apart corrupted societies and giving them a chance to rebuild without looking back, because as other people have noted, he rarely thinks twice about anyone who isn't personally important to him, which is why he also does things like popping the locks on a maximum-security prison because the front door is currently between him and someone he cares about. He gets an entire armada to pledge allegiance to him and responds by saying "what, no, I'm not a leader, give me food or go away." His own best friend basically says that if he wasn't so good at overpowering his enemies, no one would have any use for him.

Midoriya consciously strives to make a good example of himself in a lawful society. Luffy obliviously makes a good example of himself in a lawless society.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Neo_Crimson posted:

Pretty sure the original original Big Three were Dragonball, Fist of the North Star, and JoJo.

Fist of the North Star ended just as JoJo was getting started.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Marineford in One Piece was one of the ballsiest moves a long-running, successful series has ever made in my opinion(not going to spoil it) and Oda going that direction was really something. The one piece thread got hundreds of posts a day during that arc, it was crazy, people were absolutely on edge most of the time.

Fishman Island and Punk Hazard were not great week to week but binging them they're very good

Dressrosa has a ton of great points that are continually marred by the existence of Kyros and Rebecca

everything since Dressrosa has been top shelf, some of the best stuff Oda has ever made with some of the most inventive character designs. Saying MHA is better than one piece is hilarious, like MHA is super good yeah, but it's still a baby. We could very well still be in the Soul Society arc of MHA, and then he trips and fucks it up somehow. Not that he necessarily will, but it's still quite early in MHA's life, we haven't even really had any major incident outside of OFA/AFO facing off. Everything else has been essentially brawls, scrims, the villain alliance hasn't really done anything yet outside of a few guerilla attacks. Basically, Horikoshi has set up a shitload of stuff, and whether he sticks the landing on all of it will tell whether MHA will be a One Piece or a Bleach, essentially.

PMush Perfect posted:

It's confirmed that One Piece has been stretched out for years and years now, on the publisher's request. So it's even more incredible how it's still good, considering of the last 20 years of the manga, a good 10-15 of it has basically been filler.
Would you kindly post a source for this.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Question do any jump series have a main villain as outright creepy looking as Shigaraki.

Mraagvpeine posted:

You really think anyone can compete with this:

Big Mom is pretty loving terrifying visually, conceptually and also, well, how she acts. She is a grotesquely fat, calculating psychopath who sucks the souls out of people, sticks'em in inanimate objects, then EATS THOSE

Also, that weird grin of shigaraki's always looked stupid to me. Like that's not how cheeks work man, did he shove an entire dental dam frame inside his mouth to get that look, or what. other than that he looks like a ragged homeless dude with dry skin and who needs to get some sleep v. good

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jan 16, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Would you kindly post a source for this.
I stand corrected. A bit of research to refresh my memory, and yes, it was supposed to take five years, but it's actually just that Oda really likes writing and drawing One Piece, so he keeps extending it so he can write more. That makes a lot more sense.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I liked Dressrosa, it was just poorly paced.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

kidcoelacanth posted:

I liked Dressrosa, it was just poorly paced.
I thought was kind of a lovely retread of the earlier arc with Crocodile. Don Flamingo wasn't as cool as Crocodile though, and the king and princess characters weren't as memorable nor were their arcs as engaging.

Anyway, I'm really digging Vigilantes and can't wait for more updates to that.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

There is a little thing called context here. The other two characters are clearly inspired by Bleach and Naruto so the only inspiration that makes sense for the the lead guy is One Piece.

Just remember that the picture with the strawhat, robes, and such is an edit. They're much differently dressed in the actual panel.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
luffys great because oda never has luffy falter from his stances and makes other people and whatever status quo on the island their on react and adapt (which normally ends in fights)

edit: im also willing to bet people will like FI to dressrosa a lot more in coming years when everything set up in all those arcs pay off like a good manga should

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah something was set up during Fishman island hundreds of chapters ago and it's about to pay off during the current arc and I absolutely cannot wait.

The time between that setup and the payoff is more than my hero academia has existed for. Oda is very good with his chekhov's arsenal.