Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

tadashi posted:

Teams must really not like Joey Bats if they're not willing to give him at least a couple years at the qualifying offer AAV. I get the age and drop off in production last year but these kinds of hitters don't grow on trees. He's still 6th in OF WRC+ over the last 2 seasons eve with the good but not amazing 2016 factored in.

He's apparently turning down more money from elsewhere. Though I wouldn't be surprised if he makes that up in endorsements here that he wouldn't get elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

He's apparently turning down more money from elsewhere. Though I wouldn't be surprised if he makes that up in endorsements here that he wouldn't get elsewhere.

Maybe he's just afraid of losing his Booster Juice flavour.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Tender Bender posted:

Smh if you wouldn't attend the Trump White House and tell him off to his face.

I would shake Trump's hand then remark on how oddly small it is

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Cubs meeting with Obama, live right now.

http://m.cubs.mlb.com/chc/video/v1219193683/live-cubs-visit-the-white-house

EDIT: Hendricks is overjoyed to meet Obama

Popete fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 16, 2017

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

I like Obama but he's a White Sox fan so him hosting the WORLD CHAMPION Chicago Cubs is hilarious.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ahaha Obama proposed Theo take over as head of the DNC.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ThinkTank posted:

i eat golden grahams, joey bats' favourite

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

Ahaha Obama proposed Theo take over as head of the DNC.

To be fair if there's one thing the dems really need right now it's to find some young talent.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
jd's pizza endorsement is much better than joey's, the josh donaldson special of bacon chicken and hot peppers is my jam

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Someone post the video of him smashing fruit with his bat.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Walrus posted:

jd's pizza endorsement is much better than joey's, the josh donaldson special of bacon chicken and hot peppers is my jam

The best thing about Donaldson's Pizza Nova deal is the promotional photo they went with because he's doing the "unsettling fan approached me in public and demanded a selfie" pose for some reason.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I became a power hitter in my late 20's and you can too! *holds up bottle of Booster Juice to the camera*

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Popete posted:

EDIT: Hendricks is overjoyed to meet Obama

Hendricks always looks like he's on the verge of snapping and murdering everyone in sight.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/821076920435609600

Their lineup could actually look not completely terrible this year, which is something. I guess something to the effect of:

CF - Odubel Herrera
2B - Cesar Hernandez
RF - Michael Saunders
3B - Maikel Franco
1B - Tommy Joseph
LF - Howie Kendrick
C - Cameron Rupp
SS - Freddy Galvis
P

That isn't great, but it's a hell of a lot better than it was. With a shitload of prospects coming up soon this team could actually be good in a couple years.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Happy Birthday to Albert Pujols, he turns 37 today.

The Angels still owe him $150 million.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
This is also his like 3rd or 4th offseason surgery on his knee/foot that will make him miss either spring training or not be ready for opening day. :thumbsup:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Timby posted:

Hendricks always looks like he's on the verge of snapping and murdering everyone in sight.
Or he's still pissed that Maddon pulled him out of Game 7 when he'd only given up one run...

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

:lol:

So happy the Cardinals didn't pay him.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

The Walrus posted:

pizza nova is way better than pizza pizza in general

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

mother of god

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I thought I remembered him being pretty much himself for the first few years of his Angels contract but man he really did fall off a cliff and in a hurry. Still a good hitter, but nowhere near what they thought they were paying for. He only slugged over .500 for the first year of his deal after slugging over .600 for 7 of his first 11 seasons and never once had an OBP over .350 after having a .420 career OBP to that point

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Really hope the Jays re-sign Joey Bats. It would make the season a little more bearable to watch without EE. I agree with whomever said he might have a bounce back year.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
https://robaseball.com/pitchers-in-the-outfield-an-insane-strategy-that-just-might-work-a43174e9788a#.6dbq98kqt

An interesting take on the occasional Cub strategy of putting a second pitcher in the OF - what if an NL team did it full time? The calculations were done according to the following rules:

- Starting pitcher hits 8th and is of opposite handedness to the opposing leadoff hitter, if switch hitter use best pitcher available
- Secondary pitcher hits 9th, pitches with the opposite hand of the starter, and is placed in a corner outfield spot depending on the handedness of the batters and where they're least likely to hit the ball
- When the 8 and 9 spots come up, pinch hit for whichever pitcher has faced more batters and replace with a like-handed pitcher.

Assuming league average pitching, hitting, and pinch hitting, a team using this strategy would expect to be about .010 behind a 'traditional' team in their wOBA, or an expected loss of 51 runs over a season. However, having the platoon advantage against every non-switch hitter leads to an expected opponent wOBA about .016 below normal, or an expected loss of 82 runs over a season. This doesn't count defensive metrics, but as long as your pitcher/corner OF doesn't perform more than 31 runs below average across the entire season (and remember, you're putting the pitcher in the OF spot least likely to be hit to) the expectation would be that the strategy would be a net positive.

quote:

That means your pitching staff can be two runs worse than JD Martinez, the worst corner outfielder by DRS, and you’d still have gained one run throughout the process.
I don’t actually think they’d be that bad, though. We don’t really give credit for a pitcher’s athleticism, when in reality, they have a ton of it. When they weren’t pitching, in little league, high school, and maybe even college, current MLB pitchers likely fielded another position, especially one in the outfield. If that, combined with outfield lessons for all of your pitchers can get them up to league average corner outfield defense, your team would have gained around three wins from the Pitchers in the Outfield strategy. And a lot of the time, three wins can mean the difference between a playoff team or not.

It certainly is outlandish, and it’s likely everything wouldn’t be league average and it wouldn’t be a very smooth transition. That said, hypothetically, this crazy pitcher in the outfield strategy could work. We’d just need someone crazy enough to try it.

It would almost require a pitching staff made nearly entirely of long relief type guys who can go 2 or 3 innings every few days, but I'd love to see someone try it.

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 16, 2017

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Soul Glo posted:

:lol:

So happy the Cardinals didn't pay him.

True, but every time I see him mash a dinger I remember the good times. Let's reminisce.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Bb6olxr1wkQ
https://youtube.com/watch?v=lsEuTYbDRwE
https://youtube.com/watch?v=x4ptxMSM8Pc

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

SourKraut posted:

Or he's still pissed that Maddon pulled him out of Game 7 when he'd only given up one run...

Hell, I'M still pissed about that. Not TOO pissed as we won, mind you. But it was a dumbass move.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Are you loving kidding me.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
seems like bautista is back with the jays for 40 mil for 1 year (????!!)

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

The Walrus posted:

seems like bautista is back with the jays for 40 mil for 1 year (????!!)

1 year with an option, for a total of 40 million.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Pancakes posted:

True, but every time I see him mash a dinger I remember the good times. Let's reminisce.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Bb6olxr1wkQ
https://youtube.com/watch?v=lsEuTYbDRwE
https://youtube.com/watch?v=x4ptxMSM8Pc

Oh yeah, he owned for a good long while. It was fun getting up to St. Louis for some games and eating dinner the first night and seeing everybody in the place stop what they were doing: customers, busboys, servers, everybody just stopping and watching the tv's when he would come up to bat because no one wanted to miss him crank one into the stands.

e: Oh wow Joey got paid

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Are you loving kidding me.

If you're referring to me, then no, I'm not.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

How mad are you on a scale of one to Gleyber?

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

The Chicago Cubs won the World Series, but ironically

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Imagine how many world series we'd win if Joe Maddon wasn't bringing this team down

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Poque posted:

Imagine how many world series we'd win if Joe Maddon wasn't bringing this team down

If they didn't pull The Professor so early, 2016 would have counted for 1.5 WS championships. At least.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I think you'll find that Maddon is the reason the Cubs were tied with the Cardinals and back in the playoffs

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I still think about it. As it was a severe mismanagement. But it's humorous now. I laugh when I think about it.

Though if I had to bet it's probably one of those things that will back come up when Maddon makes another big mistake, or questionable decision in a key moment in the playoffs or WS.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Hell, I'm still a bit irate/baffled at Francona for putting Pedro in during Game 7 of the 2004 ALCS

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

It sounds like the Rays do have a bid in on Bautista if the Toronto deal falls through. I do like their plucky never give up attitude. They were roughly a .500 team by 3rd order wins last year and it's clear they understand they don't suck as badly as their record indicated.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
That's right. I forgot that the Cubs are completely infallible because they won the WS and will never do anything wrong again ever and every decision they've ever made is perfect. My bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

howe_sam posted:

Hell, I'm still a bit irate/baffled at Francona for putting Pedro in during Game 7 of the 2004 ALCS

BUT THEY WON 2 WORLD SERIES IT WORKED OUT IT WAS THE PERFECT MOVE AND YOU CANT QUESTION IT ASDLKFJASLDFUJAOISEJFLKASDNFLAKSJDFADSJFLADSJFLKS!!!!!!!!!!!

• Locked thread