Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Xun posted:

So here's a dumb question, why does fudge stay good without refrigeration? My girlfriend and I recently made some and it was mostly just cream + sugar + chocolate. Does heating cream prevent it from going bad or something? Please forgive my dumbness

Sugar is a preservative, at least it is when you have enough of it. I'm sure someone else here could explain it more accurately, but afaik having a lot of sugar extracts the moisture from everything it touches, and since bacteria need moisture to live, this creates a hostile environment they can't live in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Gerblyn posted:

Sugar is a preservative, at least it is when you have enough of it. I'm sure someone else here could explain it more accurately, but afaik having a lot of sugar extracts the moisture from everything it touches, and since bacteria need moisture to live, this creates a hostile environment they can't live in.

Both sugar and salt preserve via osmosis, the concentration of salt and sugar inside most bacteria is much lower than the concentration in a sugar rich environment like jam or preserves, the osmotic effect causes the cell walls of the bacteria to break down in those sorts of environments, killing them.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
That makes sense, thanks!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Thursday Next posted:

I'd rather use them as they are, since freezing and re-thawing them won't help their flavor or texture.

Right now, my options are:

* Marcella Hazan's prawn "appetizer" (blanched prawns | very good olive oil | fresh lemon juice | salt)
* Vietnamese spring rolls (blanched prawns | rice vermicelli | mint | lettuce | carrot)
* Pasta fra Diavolo (prawns | garlic | San Marzanos | red pepper flakes | jalopeno | pasta)

Probably going to go with the first option since it's healthiest by far, and also incredibly simple now that i've cleaned 'em all. If anyone else has suggestions on things they'd do with a giant bowl of cleaned, blanched prawns, please let me know.

The simplest answer is to make a healthy dip to your taste to dunk the prawns in, open a bottle of champagne and enjoy your afternoon!
Otherwise maybe a Vietnamese herb salad? Mint, coriander (cilantro), cucumber, carrot, red onion, shredded Chinese (napa) cabbage and the prawns dressed in some Nuoc cham?

Helith fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 16, 2017

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Has anyone tried eating grapes that are meant for winemaking? I presume they're not particularly nice, but in what way?

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
Thanks! I did a bit of each - I made a Vietnamese lime / salt / pepper dip, and just sort of enjoyed them as-is. I have a bit left, and I'll be making a salad out of the remains with some leftover lettuce and mint.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I was watching some cooking show where two different places did braised pork. One braised at 450 and the other at 350. Will it make that much of a difference other than the rate at which the braising liquid evaporates? Or some that even matter if you keep it tightly covered with foil?

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
What did I do wrong?

This is how my bread crumb mixture is described in the book, The Food Lab.

This is how it looks on the 13x9. I couldn't like, spread it, and it wasn't crumbly at all. I was told to "sprinkle" it.

I don't know whether this is the intended consistency and I don't know what it means to "sprinkle" it, whether there's something left unsaid, or whether I didn't pulse it enough, or what.

Update:
This is after 25 minutes in a 400 degree oven. Bread thing not golden brown at all. Could it be because I used potato bread?

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 17, 2017

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Yeah potato bread was probably not a good call, it'll stick together rather than crumble.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Both sugar and salt preserve via osmosis, the concentration of salt and sugar inside most bacteria is much lower than the concentration in a sugar rich environment like jam or preserves, the osmotic effect causes the cell walls of the bacteria to break down in those sorts of environments, killing them.

That's really cool! Thanks

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Stinky_Pete posted:

What did I do wrong?

This is how my bread crumb mixture is described in the book, The Food Lab.

This is how it looks on the 13x9. I couldn't like, spread it, and it wasn't crumbly at all. I was told to "sprinkle" it.

I don't know whether this is the intended consistency and I don't know what it means to "sprinkle" it, whether there's something left unsaid, or whether I didn't pulse it enough, or what.

Update:
This is after 25 minutes in a 400 degree oven. Bread thing not golden brown at all. Could it be because I used potato bread?

I wouldn't expect potato vs wheat bread to make that big a difference in browning. Maybe check that your oven as actually running at the correct temp?

gently caress it though, if it's warm and the veggies are tender it's good to go. You could always just throw it under the broiler for a bit to brown it up at the end.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I will never live in a house without a broiler. poo poo is magic.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Ron Jeremy posted:

I was watching some cooking show where two different places did braised pork. One braised at 450 and the other at 350. Will it make that much of a difference other than the rate at which the braising liquid evaporates? Or some that even matter if you keep it tightly covered with foil?

It would make a difference to cooking time, I would think. Beyond that, though, that's a good question! I'm also curious about this - I love me some braised meat, 's good stuff.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Ranter posted:

I will never live in a house without a broiler. poo poo is magic.

A yard or driveway is sufficient

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
This leaves a chemical taste similar to torching your sous vide steakums.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Anyone tried cooking eggplant on a cast iron griddle for Baba ghanoush/mutable? I'm trying to get a smokier flavour than roasting it in the oven or under a gas grill. Broiler for those in the US.

It never seems to cook through under my grill so last time I sliced the eggplant into discs and griddled it with a little salt and some rapeseed oil brushed on the ridges of the pan. It had a smoky flavour and went soft much quicker but tasted different compared to the local Lebanese place who grill theirs over charcoal and add pomegranate syrup. Also tried just splitting it down the middle the time before that but that took a lot longer to cook and ended up bitter.

I'm tempted to leave this next one whole until the skin goes all wrinkled then finish it off in the oven while roasting garlic, onions and peppers to mix into the dip but I'm also lazy and could just do the disc method again and fry the garlic and veggies instead, using the olive oil that would normally go into the dip.

What would everyone advise?

Also what's the simplest way to make pomegranate syrup from whole pomegranates? Can I just use a lemon juicer and sieve out the seeds? Couldn't find pomegranate juice without a fuckload of sweeteners and the syrup is like four times more expensive than vanilla extract for a similar sized bottle.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Thumbing through the Food Lab book I got for Christmas and the roasted sweet potatoes sound nice. I've been on a chicken wings kick recently (when eating out, never made them at home) and I think the Serious Eats technique for crispy baked wings sounds healthyish and worth trying. Considering the sweet potato pairing, I think it'd be nice to do something Mexican chili pepper driven (chipotle? arbol?) for the wing sauce. However, I have absolutely no experience with that sort of cooking. Can anyone provide some pointers for putting together a nice spicy wing sauce that'll work well with roasted sweet potatoes and probably a little green salad?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Verizian posted:

Anyone tried cooking eggplant on a cast iron griddle for Baba ghanoush/mutable? I'm trying to get a smokier flavour than roasting it in the oven or under a gas grill. Broiler for those in the US.

It never seems to cook through under my grill so last time I sliced the eggplant into discs and griddled it with a little salt and some rapeseed oil brushed on the ridges of the pan. It had a smoky flavour and went soft much quicker but tasted different compared to the local Lebanese place who grill theirs over charcoal and add pomegranate syrup. Also tried just splitting it down the middle the time before that but that took a lot longer to cook and ended up bitter.

I'm tempted to leave this next one whole until the skin goes all wrinkled then finish it off in the oven while roasting garlic, onions and peppers to mix into the dip but I'm also lazy and could just do the disc method again and fry the garlic and veggies instead, using the olive oil that would normally go into the dip.

What would everyone advise?
When you say smokier, do you mean that flavour/mouthfeel you get when eggplant is lightly charred on the outside? If so, after chopping/slicing/whatever the eggplant, throw it in a bowl with enough 5% (or thereabouts) brine to cover, and then put a plate or something on top to keep the eggplant submerged. Leave that for half an hour, 45 minutes, drain, pat dry (as dry as you can comfortably get the outsides, but don't wring them out or anything), and then hit them with whatever heat you're using to cook. Higher is better. Keep 'em going a little longer than your first instinct to call 'em done---after some time in a brine, eggplant'll take a lot more heat without getting mushy, so you can get a really good char on the exterior without ruining it.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I kinda want it to go mushy though. This is for a smooth version of the dip. And smoke is more about the smell of the food, a warm, rich and slightly sharp scent adds to the flavour and triggers memories of late summer or early autumn barbecues. I tried adding a touch of sweet smoke paprika once to cheat but the dip tasted bitter and muddy. Like there were too many flavours clashing instead of subtle differences with each bite.

Mouth feel should be cool, smooth, and creamy with just a hint of sweetness and sour lemon tingle.

Traditional recipes call for a lot more heat and time than you'd expect. 30 to 45 minutes at gas mark 8 or 9 in an oven or over an open flame until the skin is charred and the flesh is squishy like over ripe fruit. Can get similar on the cast iron in like 25 minutes though the flesh that touches the ridges dries out and toughens. Helps with losing a lot of the bitter liquid but does change the taste a bit.

Verizian fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 17, 2017

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Verizian posted:

I kinda want it to go mushy though. This is for a smooth version of the dip.
Ah, sorry. You mention you're making baba ghanoush at the start of your post but then you mention slicing up the eggplant which apparently made me forget. Or something. Anyway, for baba ghanoush you definitely want to roast the eggplants whole. I'd suggest doing them over charcoal if you have the option.

And there's not really a trick to doing them this way. Or at least not that I know of---it's just keeping track of them so you're pulling when they're soft enough for your desired texture. If you're having trouble getting it right without them getting bitter it's possible it's your technique, but it could also be your eggplants. They're a pretty finicky plant, and unless you're getting them out of your own garden they can be past prime before you even get them home. Different cultivars also behave differently when cooked as well. For roasting I think you get better results out of longer, thinner eggplants (like Japanese eggplants) than the traditional fat ones that are most common at grocer's.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

SubG posted:

If so, after chopping/slicing/whatever the eggplant, throw it in a bowl with enough 5% (or thereabouts) brine to cover, and then put a plate or something on top to keep the eggplant submerged.

I normally apply dry salt to eggplant slices, then rinse it off after 15 minutes or so, since I read that it removes some of the bitter flavors from it. Is this a better way of doing it, or do this process have a different purpose?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Gerblyn posted:

I normally apply dry salt to eggplant slices, then rinse it off after 15 minutes or so, since I read that it removes some of the bitter flavors from it. Is this a better way of doing it, or do this process have a different purpose?
Nah, it's the same idea. A liquid brine just makes it easier to insure you're covering poo poo uniformly.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

SubG posted:

Nah, it's the same idea. A liquid brine just makes it easier to insure you're covering poo poo uniformly.

Ok, thanks for the info!

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Thursday Next posted:

Prawns

Anyone have any ideas?

Paella?

Or perhaps Gambas peri-peri, served on a bed of rocket lettuce?
http://www.frenchgirlcuisine.com/gambas-recipe-peri-peri-sauce/

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Thursday Next posted:

I'd rather use them as they are, since freezing and re-thawing them won't help their flavor or texture.

Oh, I thought you meant you needed to store them for awhile. You could have also tried Shrimp Burgers! Give the shrimp a rough chop, toss in some breadcrumbs, salt and seasonings of your choice (i'd say some lea and perrins and Old Bay) an egg. Form into patties, chill for 30 minutes. Grill on a non-stick pan. Since you have pre-cooked shrimp, I'd make a nice thick patty and possibly a patty ring, and do it low to just heat through, then take them off, heat the pan to high, and give them a quick sear on each side to get some brown on. Serve on toasted bun with lettuce, tomato, tartar and cocktail sauce.

I've actually got some lovely frozen shrimp in my freezer from god knows where. Hold on, I shall test this!

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 17, 2017

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Gerblyn posted:

I read that most commonly available varieties have had the bitterness bred out. So I stopped salting them, never found them bitter. Then I read that you should salt them so that they maintain a firmer texture when cooked. So now I salt them and they are firmer to my subjective mind.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Cavenagh posted:

I read that most commonly available varieties have had the bitterness bred out. So I stopped salting them, never found them bitter. Then I read that you should salt them so that they maintain a firmer texture when cooked. So now I salt them and they are firmer to my subjective mind.

Interesting. I'm too lazy to test it out for myself, but at least one journalists concurs that it's pointless:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/feb/10/salting-aubergine-eggplant-crossing-sprouts

quote:

And the results? I can detect no greater intensity of aubergine flavour in the salted batch – in fact, it just tastes saltier. (David didn't tell me to rinse the salted aubergines before cooking, and, to be fair, Delia or Skye don't either.) The texture of both aubergines, as far as I can tell, is almost exactly the same: neither greasier, nor more watery. So, if it makes so little difference to the oil consumption when frying, I'm not inclined to take up salting again, particularly as I usually grill or bake the things.

It's not exactly hard science here, but she quotes a number of famous chefs who also argue that salting (or "Degorgement") is pointless.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Anjow posted:

Has anyone tried eating grapes that are meant for winemaking? I presume they're not particularly nice, but in what way?

They're delicious, but full of seeds.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

My supermarket sells a Merlot grape juice that is just the darkest, richest, sweetest grape juice I've ever tasted. Wine grapes are delicious.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Ron Jeremy posted:

I wouldn't expect potato vs wheat bread to make that big a difference in browning. Maybe check that your oven as actually running at the correct temp?

gently caress it though, if it's warm and the veggies are tender it's good to go. You could always just throw it under the broiler for a bit to brown it up at the end.

My oven is known to run cold, but I compensate by preheating to 420 instead of 400, though i didn't check the thermometer. I finally discovered the switch for my oven light (it was camouflaged on the top of the stove indicator panel, rather than on any panel's face) so I will be able to check the temperature with less hassle in the future.

Dish still tasted good overall, but I'll want that crispy element in the future.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Yeah potato bread was probably not a good call, it'll stick together rather than crumble.

Okay interesting, so I guess that's what was meant by "hearty" sandwich bread.

I imagine increasing the exposed surface area will also help with browning, so thank you both

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Help me out, Goons. My birthday is inauguration day (this Friday), and DC will be a madhouse - no point in trying to go out for dinner to celebrate/mourn the day, given security cordons and crowds. I'll have a house full of people staying with me (in-laws visiting, plus friends who live inside the security bubble downtown and are fleeing to my neighborhood so they have freedom of movement), and I'm looking for a cooking project to distract me from the news, feed a crowd, and theoretically pose as a celebration dirge for my birthday.

Any ideas? I've got a well-stocked kitchen (both in terms of equipment and pantry goods), and I'm relatively to very adventurous in what I'm willing to try.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

the_chavi posted:

Help me out, Goons. My birthday is inauguration day (this Friday), and DC will be a madhouse - no point in trying to go out for dinner to celebrate/mourn the day, given security cordons and crowds. I'll have a house full of people staying with me (in-laws visiting, plus friends who live inside the security bubble downtown and are fleeing to my neighborhood so they have freedom of movement), and I'm looking for a cooking project to distract me from the news, feed a crowd, and theoretically pose as a celebration dirge for my birthday.

Any ideas? I've got a well-stocked kitchen (both in terms of equipment and pantry goods), and I'm relatively to very adventurous in what I'm willing to try.
Pick up a cookbook and use this as the occassion to start a long-term project. You're going to prepare EVERY recipe in that book (so get a good one) and to initialize this ambitious idea you're going to prepare a multi-course meal for all and sundry.

I'm working my way through every recipe in the 2007 edition of the Betty Crocker Cookbook (Current edition: "America's most trusted cookbook is better than ever!") as a kind of casual it'll-be-done-eventually, no-deadlines project. A comprehensive cookbook like that has recipes to cover every stage of your celebration/dirge, from drinks and appetizers through main course items and desserts. You could pick up such a book (or pull one you already own from the shelf), spend an hour deciding what you'll make, and have time before Friday to buy the ingredients and get started on the stuff you can do ahead of time (e.g. pre-meal snacks like cookies).

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Gerblyn posted:

Interesting. I'm too lazy to test it out for myself, but at least one journalists concurs that it's pointless:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/feb/10/salting-aubergine-eggplant-crossing-sprouts

It's not exactly hard science here, but she quotes a number of famous chefs who also argue that salting (or "Degorgement") is pointless.

he didn't rinse the brine off? Of course the flavor isn't going to change if you leave the brine there :psyduck: I mean, except for tasting saltier because of the, you know, salt

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

JawKnee posted:

he didn't rinse the brine off? Of course the flavor isn't going to change if you leave the brine there :psyduck: I mean, except for tasting saltier because of the, you know, salt

Hey, the recipe didn't say to wash off the layer of salt.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ExecuDork posted:

Pick up a cookbook and use this as the occassion to start a long-term project. You're going to prepare EVERY recipe in that book (so get a good one) and to initialize this ambitious idea you're going to prepare a multi-course meal for all and sundry.

I'm working my way through every recipe in the 2007 edition of the Betty Crocker Cookbook (Current edition: "America's most trusted cookbook is better than ever!") as a kind of casual it'll-be-done-eventually, no-deadlines project. A comprehensive cookbook like that has recipes to cover every stage of your celebration/dirge, from drinks and appetizers through main course items and desserts. You could pick up such a book (or pull one you already own from the shelf), spend an hour deciding what you'll make, and have time before Friday to buy the ingredients and get started on the stuff you can do ahead of time (e.g. pre-meal snacks like cookies).

That's... brilliant, actually. Thanks! I got several new cookbooks for Christmas, so I think I'll break out the Aleppo cookbook to remind myself that at least my hometown is still standing.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

JawKnee posted:

That... is a good point. I'm curious to try it at the weekend now. Anyone got ideas for what I could do with a bowl of fried egg plant chunks?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

That... is a good point. I'm curious to try it at the weekend now. Anyone got ideas for what I could do with a bowl of fried egg plant chunks?

Eat them with both hands and reckless abandon

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I like your style

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Gerblyn posted:

This recipe right here is my favourite way to eat eat eggplants, we end up going to the restaurant regularly just to eat the eggplant (though the rest of the food is good too!)

The Malaya Szechuan Eggplant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I just bought an electric pressure cooker, anyone have a recommendation for a good cookbook?