Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Funny Authors thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Burt Sexual posted:

Funny Autists thread

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Kavak posted:

I think it was just one story where an English dude's ancestor hosed an albino gorilla lady and it was too horrible for his descendants to deal with.

shadow over innsmouth also ends with the narrator discovering that he has fishman genes

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

chernobyl kinsman posted:

shadow over innsmouth also ends with the narrator discovering that he has fishman genes

Fish loving is worse than gorilla loving, though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

(markov bots; emphasis added)

Getright downlo posted:

i also tried christian music and rap but that one is very hit or miss and has the same issue with verbatim chunks

pre:
We'll praise Your name
Keep my eyes above the waves
My soul will rest in Your hands
I'm holding on to Your promises

Zoothousand 16
Hey peeps what up man, ay, ay
Lift up your hands Be lifted up
Tell everyone how great the love
We bow down At heaven's gate

To kiss the earth rejoice
He wraps Himself in light,
And darkness tries to hide
And trembles at His voice

How great is our god
Sing with me
How great is our god
Sing with me bitch

I'm a nigga with money
And I get high with my jeans on, babe
Rolling with my baby, yeah
And I can show you you what to be like baby
And we be letting bands go

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
Alan Moore is mostly up his own rear end as of late, but there's a scene in one of the recent League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comics where H P Lovecraft runs across some alien eggs and is all "ah, yes, these must be negro eggs."
I thought it was pretty funny.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I think the current thinking with Lovecraft is that his racism was a product of his crazy overprotective mother sheltering him from the outside world and that he kind of got over it in later years and actually married a Jewish woman.

Considering that he considered his wife "well assimilated", that she had to remind him that she was in fact jewish whenever he launched a tirade against jews and that antisemitism was one of the reason why she divorced him I'm not so sure about that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jellymouth posted:

Alan Moore is mostly up his own rear end as of late, but there's a scene in one of the recent League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comics where H P Lovecraft runs across some alien eggs and is all "ah, yes, these must be negro eggs."
I thought it was pretty funny.

Its actually from Planetary, written by Warren Ellis.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Alhazred posted:

Its actually from Planetary, written by Warren Ellis.

Who's the artist, so I make sure never to buy any of their work?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Just only buy French or Belgian comic books & you're probably safe.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Powaqoatse posted:

Not if you're me. The artist is Phil Jimenez which I keep mixing up with Juan Gimenez (their surnames are kinda similar I guess) and while Gimenez is a great artist Jimenez is not.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Powaqoatse posted:

Formidable!

Alhazred posted:

Not if you're me. The artist is Phil Jimenez which I keep mixing up with Juan Gimenez (their surnames are kinda similar I guess) and while Gimenez is a great artist Jimenez is not.

GIS confirms that these are not the same art style, nope.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
You know who is also super racist? Jack London.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Yeah so Lovecraft was racist as gently caress, I'll admit I was wrong about that.

I still maintain that his ideas of unspeakable horrors from beyond the stars and forbidden knowledge that would break the minds of mortal men were good, even if the execution was often less "things man was not meant to know" and more "unspeakable Congo secrets and savage negro sorceries".

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Yeah so Lovecraft was racist as gently caress, I'll admit I was wrong about that.

I still maintain that his ideas of unspeakable horrors from beyond the stars and forbidden knowledge that would break the minds of mortal men were good, even if the execution was often less "things man was not meant to know" and more "unspeakable Congo secrets and savage negro sorceries".

Mountains of Madness is very good, and some of his short stories are decent, but past that the quality of his writing gets really hit or miss really fast. He wasn't the first guy to touch on those themes, but he did a good job of bringing the mythology together. Like was posted before, he wasn't a good writer and the stories themselves were not very good either, but the world around it was very intriguing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I think that 90% of Lovecraft's recent popularity is because his works are public domain and he encouraged his author friends to write about his monsters while he was still alive.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lockback posted:

Mountains of Madness is very good, and some of his short stories are decent, but past that the quality of his writing gets really hit or miss really fast. He wasn't the first guy to touch on those themes, but he did a good job of bringing the mythology together. Like was posted before, he wasn't a good writer and the stories themselves were not very good either, but the world around it was very intriguing.

Mountains of Madness had too much foreshadowing; and then the horror elements were way less horror and more "ooh, that's interesting". As in, this could have been better written calmly as sci fi, imo.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Powaqoatse posted:

(markov bots; emphasis added)

Getright downlo posted:

code:
bone chilling terror 
tear her virgin oval office 
virgins are my sword 
i'ma be your buzz lightyear

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
my favorite detail about lovecraft was that he wrote a letter a few months before he died, in which he despairs about his closeminded racism for the gooniest goddamned reason: he didn't bother to read their mythology. He's on his deathbed and his last words are the equivalent of someone realizing that perhaps, anime is good?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

teenytinymouse posted:

Did I tell you guys when I went to London zoo I was accosted three times by the same giant black butterfly, it liked the furry bit on my coat

I was very afraid of hurting it tho so I did not fully enjoy the experience

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:3:

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Oh and the story is set at an abandoned plantation, which he describes

Nobody was singing the blues!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

"Savage Negro Sorceries" is a great name for an all black death metal band!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Dreddout posted:

Nobody was singing the blues!

"Savage Negro Sorceries" is a great name for an all black death metal band!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Planetary is amazing

E: though that panel is admittedly p bad

sebmojo has a new favorite as of 00:14 on Jan 17, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

How about just ?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

chernobyl kinsman posted:

No it ends with him realizing he has those genes and embracing being a monster

which is also really funny for a horror ending if you follow the interpretation that this was meant to be mixed people being ok with being mixed, hah

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Deceitful Penguin posted:

No it ends with him realizing he has those genes and embracing being a monster

which is also really funny for a horror ending if you follow the interpretation that this was meant to be mixed people being ok with being mixed, hah

To be fair, it was probably better to be a fishmonster than a black man in 1910s America.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Pick posted:

Life of the tarantula owner:

owner: holy poo poo!!!! martha!!! martha come over here!!!! come over here, quick quick quick, look at this!!!!!!!

martha: what

owner: it's on the other side of the cage today!!!!!!!! look!!!!!!!!!!

i like this one partially for its own sake, and partially for the 'guess the thread' factor

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3805538&perpage=40#post468366875

I'm on mobile sorry. Can someone grab that and quote it. It's glorious

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

jaegerx posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3805538&perpage=40#post468366875

oh wow, we two must be the first to see this completely unknown thread!

sorry that was a mean thing to say to you, niggerstomper58

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

jaegerx posted:

it's been scrubbed, by a professional scrubber. Scrubbed clean.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Doc Hawkins posted:

How about just ?

#BlackDeathMatters

#AllDeathMatters

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

funmanguy posted:

#BlackDeathMatters

#AllDeathMatters

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jeza posted:

We've come a long way towards interracial understanding, but whitey is still a long way from finding out those unspeakable Congo secrets.

I like to think that Unspeakable Congo Secrets was just what the Victorians called their version of Pier 1 Imports.

I'd shop at a store called Unspeakable Congo Secrets in a loving heartbeat.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
The Music of Erich Zann is also very good and minimally racist.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
You believe that right until you hear the actual music: dubstep.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

PleasingFungus posted:

i like this one partially for its own sake, and partially for the 'guess the thread' factor

in my defense, that thread has a LOT of posts about spiders

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pick posted:

in my defense, that thread has a LOT of posts about spiders

Really good ones! I don't even like spiders, and they had me browsing tarantula-care sites.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Screaming Idiot posted:

You believe that right until you hear the actual music: dubstep.

1902 AD:

*white people on dancing*
"oh my god this beat is so african"
"shut the hell up gwenevere!! aah hell too late, there's my dad"

Howard Philip: "ew, girls! don't dance african! that is so gross! good lord" *leaves, writes a dozens of racist short stories*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I keep imagining jazz coming on the radio when Lovecraft was hanging out with people and them all hiding before the inevitable rant.