Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I agree it's a good gateway game. Catan has accessible "lightbulb moments" that lead to some more gamer thinking (in a good way) like learning X and wanting to incorporate that in your next game.

Also the fact that other players can't destroy what you have built can be a pretty big selling point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Its time length is the greatest complaint. For such a so-so game, the fact that it can drag for hours depending on negotiations and decision making and rolls of dice is unforgivable. I get a craving for Catan every now and then, just like KFC, and they always end in regret.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 16, 2017

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Any thoughts on Spyfall vs Spyfall 2?

Seems like it's exactly the same except the new locations come with 12 cards and 2 spys so you can play with more than 8 people. Frankly, I don't think it would be very good with more than 8 people, as it clearly takes longer to get around to asking everyone a question (and hopefully multiple questions per person). It's the same number of cards total so it's slightly less overall locations as well.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

angel opportunity posted:

I played Settlers of Catan with my Chinese in-laws who don't speak a word of English. I got Sushi Go to play with them, and Catan is the only game that I have a Chinese edition of. I haven't played Catan in probably 4-5 years, and I never really wanted to play it again.

Playing it again with total non-gamers who are 60+ reminds me that it is a great gateway game, and also that it is not a good game.
Yeah pretty much everyone comes to that conclusion. I think the worst game that finally broke everyone's back on it is someone decided to play the 6-player expansion and we have never ever played it since. That poo poo lasted forever

You can kind of house-rule improve some of it by roll 2 = 12, reroll 7 if its the the persons first three turns (had a game once where the robber came up way too often the first few turns and it was god-awful and probably added 30 minutes onto the game), higher max hand cap penalty, and placement of dice chits after everyone's placed their starting buildings. Last one is kinda iffy if you want to rng out some of the rng of rolling to see who goes first and I wouldn't necessary recommend it but it did make for a hilarious game, but at the very least a 2=12 is fair if the only ore or important option left is like a 2/12, which seems to always happen.

But it's still not good.

FulsomFrank posted:

Its time length is the greatest complaint. For such a so-so game, the fact that it can drag for hours depending negotiations and decision making and rolls of dice is unforgivable. I get a craving for Catan every now and then, just like KFC, and they always end in regret.
Yeah basically this. If it was like a 20 minute game it would be fine.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Speaking of Catan, what do people think of Catan: Seafarers? There are so many changes in that expansion, it almost looks like a new game that uses the same parts as base Catan.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

angel opportunity posted:

I played Settlers of Catan with my Chinese in-laws who don't speak a word of English. I got Sushi Go to play with them, and Catan is the only game that I have a Chinese edition of. I haven't played Catan in probably 4-5 years, and I never really wanted to play it again.

Playing it again with total non-gamers who are 60+ reminds me that it is a great gateway game, and also that it is not a good game.

I agree with all of this. Compounded with the nature of a 2D6 distribution, and you can have games where you make really strong choices within the game's possibility space, and still lose. It was my first Euro, though, and I played it compulsively for 2 months of my life in college. I'm happy to have played it, and to never play it again.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"Anyone want to trade for wood?"

- A person who has wood

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
gently caress people who build on the opposite side of a hex, ensuring that it can only have 2 settlements instead of 3. Resource poor Catan is the worst Catan.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I bought the Helpers of Catan mini-expansion at the recommendation of somebody here. It really helps smooth out the randomness of the game, I enjoy playing with it a lot more than without it. It's still not an amazing game, but its something I don't mind playing.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Chomp8645 posted:

"Anyone want to trade for wood?"

- A person who has wood

I'd be interested to see if this infuriating phrasing is regional. Along with brick/clay, wheat/grain, stone/ore.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Wood, Brick, Wheat, Ore, Sheep. Don't @ me.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

You meant stone

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
*Sits down to game of Catan and brings significant other*

*Assigns 0% of robbers to significant other*

*Conducts 100% of beneficial trade with significant other*

*Believes this to be cool and good*

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Chomp8645 posted:

*Sits down to game of Catan and brings significant other*

*Assigns 0% of robbers to significant other*

*Conducts 100% of beneficial trade with significant other*

*Believes this to be cool and good*

*in extremely Quinns voice* Ah, the Theatre of board gaming!

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I got Ticket To Ride from my parents for Christmas. They really really enjoyed it (as did my girlfriend), so now we all own the app so we can also play over long distance. I made sure that my girlfriend and I got the digital 1910 version too (she likes mega game though :argh:).

My girlfriend's sister also plays it with her partner. Girlfriend told me last night that her sister complained that their games can go for 2 hours or more between the two of them which is utterly horrifying :psyduck: We were knocking out physical 4-player games in 45 minutes, which made playing TTR pretty tolerable.

How does someone stare at the TTR board for 10 minutes at a time, thinking about how drawing two off the top or just taking the two green ones might affect their long-term strategy

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 17, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"Anyone have brick they can trade me??? Nobody? Ok."

*Next roll produces no brick. Active player offers wheat in exchange for wood*

"I'll give you the wood for brick instead! No I don't want wheat. Do you have brick?"

*Next roll also produces no brick*

"Anybody have brick? I have wood!

*Table has gone full circle, a 7 is rolled*

"Ok which of you has brick???"

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

just made the stunning realization that the big trough in the Eminent Domain box perfectly fits the two expansion boxes in it, making switching between expansions painless! :buddy:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
"I'll trade anybody two future sheep for one sheep, and I promise if the game ends before I pay you can punch me in the face."

-- The point it got to with my group before we all stopped playing Catan

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

deadwing posted:

just made the stunning realization that the big trough in the Eminent Domain box perfectly fits the two expansion boxes in it, making switching between expansions painless! :buddy:

Yep! I'm pretty sure they designed the size of the expansion boxes specifically to work like that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I have completely fallen through on A Feast for Odin to the point where I'm ready to call it a "bad game." Nothing about it feels competitive unlike, say, Agricola where everything is tightly grouped that taking one action can directly set back another player. Without occupations you basically have to specialize because changing your plans, let's say going from pillaging to livestock, is impossible. You need to get in early or you get nothing out of it in the end. But the occupations themselves are an absolute poo poo show. They're either completely worthless for your setup or swing the game in an unbeatable direction.

I always made fun of my condescending friend who says "This isn't a game, it's an activity" but I think it actually applies here. As a game I want to compete with my friends which means I need to gather feedback on their actions and the direction they're heading. But the rigid, often unpredictable nature of the end game keeps me from doing that while I'm also sticking my face in my own board. I don't have time to study what my opponents are doing and also keep on top of my own goals. And then the frustration levels shoot through the roof when someone gets a card that lets them duplicate a loving emigration for free and I'm stuck with "get a coin when you eat a flax once during a full moon on the second Tuesday of the month."

I've got two more plays before I can log it in the 10x10 for 2017. I don't want to see it for a long time.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Yep! I'm pretty sure they designed the size of the expansion boxes specifically to work like that.

the third expansion that comes out this year is going to ruin my newfound joy

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

deadwing posted:

the third expansion that comes out this year is going to ruin my newfound joy

They're making another expansion? drat, I still haven't actually played with Exotica.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Exotica is like $7 on CSI currently. Haven't heard much about it or tried it myself either.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

al-azad posted:

I have completely fallen through on A Feast for Odin to the point where I'm ready to call it a "bad game." Nothing about it feels competitive unlike, say, Agricola where everything is tightly grouped that taking one action can directly set back another player. Without occupations you basically have to specialize because changing your plans, let's say going from pillaging to livestock, is impossible. You need to get in early or you get nothing out of it in the end. But the occupations themselves are an absolute poo poo show. They're either completely worthless for your setup or swing the game in an unbeatable direction.

I always made fun of my condescending friend who says "This isn't a game, it's an activity" but I think it actually applies here. As a game I want to compete with my friends which means I need to gather feedback on their actions and the direction they're heading. But the rigid, often unpredictable nature of the end game keeps me from doing that while I'm also sticking my face in my own board. I don't have time to study what my opponents are doing and also keep on top of my own goals. And then the frustration levels shoot through the roof when someone gets a card that lets them duplicate a loving emigration for free and I'm stuck with "get a coin when you eat a flax once during a full moon on the second Tuesday of the month."

I played AFFO yesterday and got a bunch of occupations that mostly didn't suit my plan at all, which was emigration. I won handily with 101 despite wasting time trying to make Tanner work. If I'd put that time into buying a house I could have made 120 easily.

Also how can the end game be rigid and unpredictable?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Huxley posted:

"I'll trade anybody two future sheep for one sheep, and I promise if the game ends before I pay you can punch me in the face."

When we play Sheriff of Nottingham, people in my group will try to bribe the sheriff to get their own bag searched.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Krazyface posted:

When we play Sheriff of Nottingham, people in my group will try to bribe the sheriff to get their own bag searched.
How does that even work? Here's 4 coins and you have to open my bag? idgi

al-azad posted:

I have completely fallen through on A Feast for Odin to the point where I'm ready to call it a "bad game." Nothing about it feels competitive unlike, say, Agricola where everything is tightly grouped that taking one action can directly set back another player. Without occupations you

I've got two more plays before I can log it in the 10x10 for 2017. I don't want to see it for a long time.
Would you be interested in selling it after? I really want to get it but every place is out of stock though I might have the same complaints you do but we'll see.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Xaris posted:

The level 1 strat is that your bag is legit, so you pay the sheriff to open your bag (when he otherwise wouldn't) and you get it all back plus more.

The level 2 strat is your bag is full of contraband, but just by offering the bribe in the first place you make your bag seem legit.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

deadwing posted:

Oh, boo, and here I just recycled the Escalation box.

Played Great Western Trail today. I thought it had a lot of interesting things going on, and I'd definitely play it again. But I don't feel the need to own it ... It's just not that compelling to me. I had a similar reaction to Russian Railroads.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jedit posted:

I played AFFO yesterday and got a bunch of occupations that mostly didn't suit my plan at all, which was emigration. I won handily with 101 despite wasting time trying to make Tanner work. If I'd put that time into buying a house I could have made 120 easily.

Also how can the end game be rigid and unpredictable?

The build up to the end game is rigid, the final score I can't predict from anyone but myself. For the longest time I focused completely on raiding but couldn't break 80. Recently switched to the long game of getting the most out of livestock but then I never manage to snag an exploration or emigration so I'm still stuck in the 80s. I can't evaluate my best games from the scorecard alone because I don't remember if I got a clutch occupation that led me there. My best game came from a combination of occupations that let me split my pillage value while at the same time taking a -1 penalty but I could also grab a green good. Combined with the knarr upgrade to greens I was able to fill up the home board and Iceland handily. Can't really replicate this, though.

Been playing three player mostly where you're trying to work around the other players. Nobody is paying attention to anyone else so the winner ends up being the one who isn't fighting the others. I try to arrange seating order so I'm last just so I can plan my turn around what everyone else isn't doing but since you're playing the long game the final turn can be a frustrating "guess what this guy is doing" but still playing to my strengths.

I want to see a detailed 100+ point run of the game. I find it impossible to evaluate things. There isn't a great system of feedback, it all feels arbitrary in the end with multiple players.

Xaris posted:

Would you be interested in selling it after? I really want to get it but every place is out of stock though I might have the same complaints you do but we'll see.

I bought it for a friend but if I owned it I would totally sell it. I don't see any redemption for the game at this point.

After we're done I'll give it one more shot with a Ticket to Ride style occupation pool but I don't think my frustration with the game in general will be changed by having a little more determination in what occupations I draw.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 17, 2017

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

While we're talking about EmDo:

How often do you grab tech cards? I've played six games, and no one ever really springs for them. The exceptions are if I happen to stumble upon a planet or two with symbols or someone getting the role that lets you grab a tier 2 tech card (this seems pretty strong, especially with Double Time). In any other situation, it just doesn't seem worth interrupting the engine to lead 1-3 research roles. Those are turns that I could be scoring points. The tech cards don't have points until tier two, which means you have to have either 5 research or 5 ships and take a suboptimal turn. I feel like I'm rambling, but tech just doesn't get there for me

EBag
May 18, 2006

Got in another play of Great Zimbabwe with the correct rules. This game was a good bit longer and felt much better, there was more of a slow build up and money was tighter obviously though you can quickly build up quite a bit. I grabbed the god that lets you use the same craft items multiple times when upgrading and later The Herd, she took the god that lets you get technology for only 1 VR. She mistakenly built the first wood carver pretty close to both our starting monuments and two wood resources which I was able to capitilize on pretty quickly. She was also stingy with bidding to go first so I kept draining all the resources and pulled off the win soon after. Much like FCM there can be a runaway leader, but it just means the game will be over quickly once someone has pulled into a strong lead rather than dragging out. Also like FCM you can just do other things and wait for someone else to put down craftsmen, similar to the marketing in FCM, and then take advantage of it yourself so there's lots of interplay between players. Looking forward to more plays now that we both have a better understanding of the mechanics, should be closer games in the future.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Scythe makes more sense when the Crimean player can only go to the bases of absent factions, and not the unoccupied bases of in-game players.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Jabor posted:

The level 1 strat is that your bag is legit, so you pay the sheriff to open your bag (when he otherwise wouldn't) and you get it all back plus more.

The level 2 strat is your bag is full of contraband, but just by offering the bribe in the first place you make your bag seem legit.

I guess if they suspected the first bag to be worth opening then just not take the bribe and open it just in case it wasn't? idk but that's the point I guess because Sheriff is cool mind gently caress game like that. Like going legit 3x in a row so surely the 3rd time has to be bad! Muwahaha no it was actually legit pay up.

We played it hard over the first month after it came out and now mostly getting dusty. I think we just got burned out since it has some problems that can't quite put the finger on and also probably just overplaying it.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Shadow225 posted:

How often do you grab tech cards? I've played six games, and no one ever really springs for them. The exceptions are if I happen to stumble upon a planet or two with symbols or someone getting the role that lets you grab a tier 2 tech card (this seems pretty strong, especially with Double Time). In any other situation, it just doesn't seem worth interrupting the engine to lead 1-3 research roles. Those are turns that I could be scoring points. The tech cards don't have points until tier two, which means you have to have either 5 research or 5 ships and take a suboptimal turn. I feel like I'm rambling, but tech just doesn't get there for me

When playing with Escalation (always play with Escalation) they're really important to pick up.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Huxley posted:

I was in a tournament for it a long time ago and I jokingly offered "sheep for sheep" but apparently that is against the sacred texts or some poo poo and I was scolded by the other "serious" players at the table. I learned a lot about Catan that day, as well as board gamers in general.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I have wood for sheep

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ohohohoho I know what you mean.

You have a crippling sheep shortage.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

Pretty much whenever I have the Research cards for it? You're not interrupting your engine, you're getting better cards that increase your engine's flow. It's like buying Actions in Dominion: they're not VP, but they help you get to the point where you can actually get VP cards.

You can certainly win the game buy simply Surveying for planets and Colonizing them, but you're probably going to lose to a player who decides to go for Scorched Earth Policy. The better Advanced planet techs also let you streamline your deck really well which, as any deckbuilding veteran knows, is very strong.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

al-azad posted:

Feast for Odin stuff

I don't know because I don't see your games but assuming your tile usage and mix is on point then it kind of sounds like one or more of the following are happening:

- Focusing too much (or in the wrong ways) on cards. You're not hosed if you don't get synergistic cards. Cards have costs to put into play and they have VP values commensurate with their immediate usefulness. That useless +1 silver on blue moons should have a pretty decent VP value just for having it in play, for example. It also might be that If you're fundamentally willing to "pay" too much (opportunity cost wise) to put cards into play, so it only pays off if it's a sick nasty combo and if it isn't, you got seemingly 'screwed' by bad cards.

- No or insufficient gear shifting; even though an activity is productive some others can be MORE productive and this balance changes as the game progresses and it depends on several things. E.g whaling or raiding/pillaging rarely makes sense as a monoculture.

P.s. I started out pushing 90-100+ in early games once I understood what I was doing, then as I felt more confident and was more experienced I had a string of 60-80s where the problem was I tried too hard to optimize and wound up doing the opposite because I went too far towards neglecting the moment in favor of future gains or vice versa. The actions were still productive, just not as productive as they could have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
So I guess there's a Defense Grid board game in the Kickstarter works. Kinda weird seeing all these Video Game pseudo-cross over stuff recently. Not really sure how I feel, I enjoy TD games on the PC but I just can't see myself having fun with a type of game like this. The nice thing about video game is it eliminates all the tedious setup and such which seems like it'd be a beast on this type of game. Not to mention seems more of a solo game or barely co-op with one person understanding it and everyone else just following orders. Rahdo was generally positive on it though but I have to wonder how "nice" people are when they get prototype copies for review.e