Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Sand Monster posted:

Yeah, not a troll, unfortunately. It's quite rare, guess I'm "lucky".

I'd like to be less on alarmist than the other people here. You'll be fine. You're basically facing a less-severe version of the problems vegetarians and vegans face in Japan, and I've known several who had a lot of fun over here. It's far more difficult to have a gluten allergy, for example.

Sure, common western allergies aren't exactly wide-spread in Japan, but knowledge about them have improved vastly over the last decade or so, especially in the food industry. Print out one of those cards that specifies your allergies (make sure it actually says it's a medical condition), show it waiters, and no one will serve you anything you can't eat. No, I don't expect every restaurant will have something for you (ramen, for example, is probably completely out unless you find one of the few vegetarian ramen places), but a lot will - especially if you can eat seafood.

You can eat sushi and most tempura. Set meal places often have at least one menu item with grilled fish instead of meat. From what I hear, if you go to mid to high-range restaurants, chefs here are known to come up with appropriate dishes on the spot if nothing on the menu accommodates the customer's medical condition. Cheaper restaurants will still agree to do easy stuff like remove mayo from a fish. Even Japanese curry, which would usually be out if you can't eat meat, is fairly easy - Cocoichi has a vegan menu in a growing number of branches (especially in city centers), and even if you're in a store that doesn't offer that they have a special item for people with allergies. It's a funny one - they serve you a microwave-heated premade curry in a pouch that you have to pour over the rice yourself, but at least the rice is fresh and it's only 300 yen or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I think my dog is mildly allergic to chicken so yeah I guess it's a thing.

Anyway if you can eat seafood you'll be fine. Japan is basically the mecca of seafood, breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Really? I could never find a place to eat breakfast.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Yeah I'll second that you will probably be fine.

If, for example, soy sends you into anaphylactic shock then that's an entirely different matter from trying to avoid meat. Meat broths may be an issue, but I'm sure you're used to that sort of consideration. Peanuts and fruits are generally not mixed in with stuff so you should be able to avoid those pretty easily. Places MIGHT cook with peanut oil but if your allergy isn't severe then you should be okay.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

orenronen posted:

Sure, common western allergies aren't exactly wide-spread in Japan, but knowledge about them have improved vastly over the last decade or so, especially in the food industry.

Lol, 欧米人論.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

http://www.isomaru.jp/shoplist/
24hr seafood izakaya

Also a good option if you want to start drinking at 6am

For most Japanese people though eating breakfast out = getting a couple onigiri from the combini

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Stringent posted:

Lol, 欧米人論.

I'm not from America or Europe, so.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I'm allergic to bad food. Does anybody have any recommendations for Japan?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Better just go to Florida tbh.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
The main thing to be aware of is that at most restaurants if you order with "no meat" you'll probably still get bacon on it. Make sure to specify no bacon too if it is something that contains that.

Ramen - check what the soup is based on. Pork-based soup isn't uncommon.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

orenronen posted:

I'd like to be less on alarmist than the other people here. You'll be fine. You're basically facing a less-severe version of the problems vegetarians and vegans face in Japan, and I've known several who had a lot of fun over here. It's far more difficult to have a gluten allergy, for example.

Thanks, that's at least a bit more encouraging. I'll research vegetarian/vegan recommendations and see how realistic that is.

zmcnulty posted:

Anyway if you can eat seafood you'll be fine. Japan is basically the mecca of seafood, breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Seafood for breakfast doesn't sound particularly appealing, but a quick search seems to suggest their breakfast is not too dissimilar from a lot of places (pastries, fruit, pancakes, etc.) with the exception of serving rice, miso soup, and fish.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Like I said earlier you'll find it very difficult to find somewhere to eat before 10:30. I imagine you'd have to look for a place online.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Conbinis have donuts, yogurt, and fruit.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I liked Vie de France for a simple, quick, reliable breakfast. But everything probably has butter or eggs. The coffee is good? Siphon coffee for $3ish

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
How's end of March for a solo 4 days in Tokyo? I'm building in a small vacation on the way back from a client in Manila- I've been working on my Italian and speak no Japanese, do I have time to get anything functional down?

Also, like what should I see/do? I've stuck my head in here before, I'm a history/art buff and like diving into local food

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Manila and Milan are v different cities

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
How much do you want to spend on local food

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I've got a Skype interview with AEON next week. Anybody gone through their recruitment process before?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

peanut posted:

Manila and Milan are v different cities

Oh, I know, doing Florence and Rome in February, but I go straight to the Philippines a couple of weeks after that, the difference is that the employees at the latter are usually English speaking expats.

caberham posted:

How much do you want to spend on local food
I'm basically giving myself 600 bucks for four days as a slush fund for food. I have train, museum, etc tickets budgeted in a separate thing. That said, I'd rather sample a few places than spend it all on one big blow out.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
Anyone have any recommendations for what to do around Nagoya for a few days in February? I have been there once before and did all the basic stuff like the castle, shopping streets, and markets. Also willing to leave the city for a day trip.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Ok my mother is really into onsen and kind of wants to stop by Japan on the way back to the US from Asia. Does anyone have any recs for any hotels/onsens that are somewhat cheap (ie that she could stay for like 4-5 days) that also allow for single person stay? Water quality is kinda important. I haven't really looked into hitoritabi very much :(.

Honestly the kaiseki is optional.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sounds like she needs one of those cozy mountain towns where you can wander the street in a yukata going between ryokan using all the baths. It would need a few restaurants to escape the kaiseki bloat. Idk the name of the places like this though :/

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

ntan1 posted:

Ok my mother is really into onsen and kind of wants to stop by Japan on the way back to the US from Asia. Does anyone have any recs for any hotels/onsens that are somewhat cheap (ie that she could stay for like 4-5 days) that also allow for single person stay? Water quality is kinda important. I haven't really looked into hitoritabi very much :(.

Honestly the kaiseki is optional.

Beppu in Oita? If she stays at a Minshuku there are some pretty cheap places. However, getting to Beppu is kind of a pain in the rear end.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

peanut posted:

Sounds like she needs one of those cozy mountain towns where you can wander the street in a yukata going between ryokan using all the baths. It would need a few restaurants to escape the kaiseki bloat. Idk the name of the places like this though :/

This is every single town in Akita.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Sounds like maybe Kusatsu would fit the bill?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
*EDIT*

Oh she abandoned the plan. Anyway thanks for the help. I was hoping that she sort of would because she's old and can't understand Japanese.

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 17, 2017

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

ToxicToast posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for what to do around Nagoya for a few days in February? I have been there once before and did all the basic stuff like the castle, shopping streets, and markets. Also willing to leave the city for a day trip.

If you're not opposed to Japanese-style illuminations, one of the biggest displays is in Nabana no Sato (Nagashima Spaland), about 40-50 minutes south of Nagoya.

http://www.nagashima-onsen.co.jp:8010/nabana/index.html/

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Hello thread, I was thinking about visiting Japan for my next vacation and I just had a quick question: Is 10 days long enough?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Definitely maybe.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2400.html try this itinerary generator.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

goth smoking cloves posted:

Hello thread, I was thinking about visiting Japan for my next vacation and I just had a quick question: Is 10 days long enough?

It can be.

I usually make mine 2 weeks just because this is personally what I find ideal. Some people have preference for shorter or longer, depending on person.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Thanks folks, sorry about being vague it's just that the trip is still quite a ways off and I haven't come up with any concrete plans yet. Also I would love to spend a full 2 weeks in Japan but, my PTO, Holidays and Sick time is all in the same bucket and I want to be sure to give myself some wiggle room in case I catch a cold or something between now and then.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
I would say it is plenty to see Tokyo/Area for 3-4 days and Kyoto/Area for 3-4 days. Plus a couple days for travel/who knows what.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Thanks folks, sorry about being vague it's just that the trip is still quite a ways off and I haven't come up with any concrete plans yet. Also I would love to spend a full 2 weeks in Japan but, my PTO, Holidays and Sick time is all in the same bucket and I want to be sure to give myself some wiggle room in case I catch a cold or something between now and then.

Well at least tell us your budget, what you like to do, and time of the year

Or do something like this

http://bfy.tw/9elY

to get a rough idea

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Depends on how much stuff you want to do. I did Japan for 2 weeks about 3-4 years ago and had some overflow of stuff I wanted to do. I'm literally just back last night from a full month and I still have some activities that I didn't get to.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I did 8 nights and am happy I went.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

10 days is pretty common to allow for travel time. Enjoy!!! My friend!!!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Also when you'll be in Japan, as then there can be suggestions of festivals, etc.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I've spent over 2 years of my life in Japan and there's a billion things I want to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I understand that July is hot, but due to my wife's schoolwork we can't go during the October/March window a lot of people have suggested to me. Is it really THAT hot, do things shut down (I really want to go to the food cart island in Fukuoka), are there festivals to make up for it? We would be coming in to Fukuoka and making our way to Tokyo over the course of two weeks.