Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

McCloud posted:

Ok, I'm officially hype for Superman 15. Spoilers below

Awwww yeah, so glad someone is digging into the multiverse like this (especially that specific universe)

just watched those episodes the other day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

McCloud posted:

Words can't express the joy in my heart right now.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't remember this character.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

greatn posted:

I don't remember this character.

It's from the Justice League cartoon

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Roth posted:

It's from the Justice League cartoon

The one who went around lobotomizing everyone?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yep

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DC should do a megacrossover that is nothing but evil alternate dictator versions of Superman.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

JoshTheStampede posted:

I never understand the hubbub about 2.99 vs 3.99. Like, do people have likes and dislikes down so granular that they can say a given book is definitely worth 2.99 and not worth one more dollar?

I get that it adds up when you pull a lot of books, it just seems like a weird arbitrary place to draw a line. If there's a book bad enough that I consider it not worth my four dollars, it's probably not worth my three dollars either.

Well, part of it for me is also that there are other comics starting the same month that I'd rather buy, and the price hike seems like a good time to ditch those comics anyway.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

JoshTheStampede posted:

I never understand the hubbub about 2.99 vs 3.99. Like, do people have likes and dislikes down so granular that they can say a given book is definitely worth 2.99 and not worth one more dollar?

I get that it adds up when you pull a lot of books, it just seems like a weird arbitrary place to draw a line. If there's a book bad enough that I consider it not worth my four dollars, it's probably not worth my three dollars either.

I mean, yeah, but it's like a full thirty percent increase to the amount you're paying a month, which is more than a lot of people can easily justify to themselves, and then you have to figure out 'Okay, what exactly can I actually drop?'

In a lot of cases it IS that it adds up when you pull a bunch of books- or it's a problem for people who set themselves a comics budget per month.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

JoshTheStampede posted:

I read a ton of books now and the money adds up. Even 2.99 twice a month adds up. I'd probably pick up a few more books if DC could scale it back a little.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I buy about 10 DC books a week, so the $1 increase would cost me ~$40/month on average, assuming they don't drop some of the double-shipping books down to monthlies once they go to $3.99. It's not nothing. If they stayed double-shipping and went to $3.99, I'd probably have to look at dropping 3-4 titles.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Being in Canada we have a lovely exchange rate right now so I am already spending about 3.50 odd per 2.99 comic so yea, a dollar increase adds up fast and heavily decides if I pick up a new title or not. Reason I am not reading more Marvel books as is.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

McCloud posted:

I wonder how different he'll be from the actual cartoon version.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I wonder how different he'll be from the actual cartoon version.

Well, the cartoon version was kind of a dick, but still had a "road to hell is paved with good intentions" vibe. The old batman beyond comics (the same ones that introduced the idea that Bats cheated with Babs when she was with Dick, then got her pregnant) was your garden variety "put the dick in dictator" kind of tyrant.

Judging by the text I'm guessing they're gonna go full on ham tyrant cackling maniac here.

Still hype though. I didn't realise how much I needed this until now.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

McCloud posted:

Well, the cartoon version was kind of a dick, but still had a "road to hell is paved with good intentions" vibe. The old batman beyond comics (the same ones that introduced the idea that Bats cheated with Babs when she was with Dick, then got her pregnant) was your garden variety "put the dick in dictator" kind of tyrant.

Judging by the text I'm guessing they're gonna go full on ham tyrant cackling maniac here.

So he was Injustice Superman wearing Justice Lords Superman's clothes?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Confirmation of all the DC titles that will have its price bumped to 3.99 come April

All-Star Batman, Batgirl, Batgirl & The Birds of Prey, Batman Beyond, Batwoman, Blue Beetle, Cyborg, The Hellblazer, New Super-Man, Red Hood & The Outlaws, Super Sons, Supergirl, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, and Trinity.

They will come with free codes for the digital version though

quote:

“Giving readers value was a key component of our Rebirth initiative, and we're continuing that commitment with this move,” stated John Cunningham, SVP, Sales & Trade Marketing. "We’ve heard from many fans that they like to read and collect our books in both digital and print formats so this new offering gives DC readers the convenience and value pricing they asked for.”

http://www.newsarama.com/32762-some-dc-rebirth-titles-increase-to-3-99-get-digital-access-codes.html?utm_source=notification

Anyone who has used DC's digital codes before, where can be redeemed? Because if is in Comixology I'll cancel the subscription and get the digital copy of RHATO along the physical version.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Confirmation of all the DC titles that will have its price bumped to 3.99 come April

All-Star Batman, Batgirl, Batgirl & The Birds of Prey, Batman Beyond, Batwoman, Blue Beetle, Cyborg, The Hellblazer, New Super-Man, Red Hood & The Outlaws, Super Sons, Supergirl, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, and Trinity.

They will come with free codes for the digital version though

http://www.newsarama.com/32762-some-dc-rebirth-titles-increase-to-3-99-get-digital-access-codes.html?utm_source=notification

Anyone who has used DC's digital codes before, where can be redeemed? Because if is in Comixology I'll cancel the subscription and get the digital copy of RHATO along the physical version.

Oh that's not so bad, especially if they're lowering the price of All-Star Batman from 4.99 to 3.99. I only read 6 of those books. 7 if I end up liking Batwoman.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm sure the Comixology versions won't be discounted, but whatever. It's funny they're doing this the moment Marvel somewhat unpopularly changes their digital codes off of this exact thing.

e: Hmm. It's seemingly giving All-Star Batman a dollar savings with it's inclusion.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 17, 2017

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

It's only the monthlies, which is fine with me. I read 5 of those so an extra $5 monthly isn't a big deal. I imagine once they start dropping the double-shipping titles down to monthly, those will be $4 too.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Dunbar posted:

It's only the monthlies, which is fine with me. I read 5 of those so an extra $5 monthly isn't a big deal. I imagine once they start dropping the double-shipping titles down to monthly, those will be $4 too.

Cyborg's being moved down to monthly from the looks of it, so yeah.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: Hmm. It's seemingly giving All-Star Batman a dollar savings with it's inclusion.

That was a mistake on Newsarama's part

https://twitter.com/CBR/status/821487052826906624

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The only titles I read on that list is All Star Batman (yea for getting a dollar cheaper!), Batgirl (which I was enjoying but would hardly call necessary), Trinity (which has been fun) and I was looking to getting Super Sons, so maybe I will just drop Batgirl for Super Sons.

edit: Boo hiss. Just saw the edit about All Star

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I'm mainly a digital reader nowadays, but this might make me reconsider buying floppies if only to support my local store.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
I only read teen titans. I will pay an extra buck for this book. It is good.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

McCloud posted:

:hellyeah: I freaking love this book.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Eh, looks like I'm dropping All-Star Batman anyways. Just read the latest issue and it is insanely mediocre. Not spending $4.99 for that. I have no clue why it's $4.99 anyways.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I frickin' loved the last issue of ASB.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

pubic works project posted:

Eh, looks like I'm dropping All-Star Batman anyways. Just read the latest issue and it is insanely mediocre. Not spending $4.99 for that. I have no clue why it's $4.99 anyways.

Are you sure your shop isn't just trying to pass off back issues of Frank Miller's All Star Batman as new comics

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

McCloud posted:

Exactly. Also, there's no Cartoon JL universe in the 52 (unless it's one of the unknown ones) so wouldn't the Justice Lords universe be derivative of Earth 0 instead? Or something, who knows, Hypertime.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The 52 worlds thing is probably up in the air post Rebirth.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

or even about a month after Multiversity cause of Convergence.

e: What Rebirth rebooted was Amanda Waller's waistline. It's still the New 52.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 18, 2017

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
It feels a little odd that Super Sons is getting bumped up so soon after its debut, but that's just timing, I guess.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

purple death ray posted:

Are you sure your shop isn't just trying to pass off back issues of Frank Miller's All Star Batman as new comics

Lmao I'm pretty sure. I liked the first story arc with Two Face. Just don't love this new one.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Exactly. Also, there's no Cartoon JL universe in the 52 (unless it's one of the unknown ones) so wouldn't the Justice Lords universe be derivative of Earth 0 instead? Or something, who knows, Hypertime.

Multiversity handbook made Justice Lords and Batman Beyond official earths. So DCAU is comics canon!

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

hup posted:

Multiversity handbook made Justice Lords and Batman Beyond official earths. So DCAU is comics canon!

Oh yeah, I guess Batman Beyond is canonically the cartoon universe. Good looking out.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I used Rebirth as the opportunity to pick up a lot of books and get back into the DC thing and have been pleasantly surprised by most of them, but at this point I find Lex Luthor's presence to be incredibly laughable. From the solicits and book descriptions, I thought Action Comics would be a big focus on the Lex "Superman," but he's really only a minor character in it most of the way and 99% of the time his suit is malfunctioning and he's just getting his rear end kicked. The same thing occurs in Superwoman, where he's just trapped in a box. Coincidentally, these are the two titles I've dropped and stopped reading because I don't find any of the stories in them compelling, but I do find it somewhat funny Lex's role in the books seems to just be incapacitated and incompetent most of the time.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Tato posted:

I used Rebirth as the opportunity to pick up a lot of books and get back into the DC thing and have been pleasantly surprised by most of them, but at this point I find Lex Luthor's presence to be incredibly laughable. From the solicits and book descriptions, I thought Action Comics would be a big focus on the Lex "Superman," but he's really only a minor character in it most of the way and 99% of the time his suit is malfunctioning and he's just getting his rear end kicked. The same thing occurs in Superwoman, where he's just trapped in a box. Coincidentally, these are the two titles I've dropped and stopped reading because I don't find any of the stories in them compelling, but I do find it somewhat funny Lex's role in the books seems to just be incapacitated and incompetent most of the time.

Heck, even when he makes a little appearance in New Super-Man from last week, they manage to give him a 'dang my Mandarin really sucks' line. Lex getting jobbed by writers for the sake of a joke is something I'm okay with for the time being.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any particular reason why the number 52 became so totemic for DC that they'd name their line-wide reboot after it other than it being the title of a comic which was pretty popular for a year?

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is there any particular reason why the number 52 became so totemic for DC that they'd name their line-wide reboot after it other than it being the title of a comic which was pretty popular for a year?

It's kind of a cool themeing and an easy number for people to latch onto and go 'oh, yeah, that's a DC Comics Thing right'? The way 42 is forever associated with Hitchhiker's Guide or 616 is ever associated with Marvel, I guess.

Plus they wanted to throw a bunch of new books out and 52 was a big impressive number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Why make up a new magic number?