Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinny the Shark
Oct 11, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A lot of people also for whatever reason believe that non-Western cultures are both ignorant and backwards but also magical. It's one of the cores of naturopathy; America relies too much on technology and that is bad because it is unnatural! The X people might live in mud huts and shacks but they have Y fruit that makes them all live to be like a thousand. The medical industry wants to be super rich so they obviously just ignore these people and let them do their thing and focus on banning Y fruit in America so they can take your money by selling you bullshit treatments.

Far too many people read about things like the promised benefits of chiropractic stuff or traditional Chinese medicine or whatever and take it at face value. Natural remedies and alt medicine just sound so much better but the promises are very frequently utterly unfounded.

A woman I used to work with was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. She was constantly going on and on about how in pain she was and was always taking time off work to rest and heal. She was always looking for sympathy and wanting everyone to feel sorry for her. Since real doctors weren't magically curing her, she turned to what she called a "practitioner of natural and holistic remedies," which is basically saying she went to a quack doctor. She explained that he told her about how big pharmaceutical companies and doctors are lying to people, that there are all kinds of chemicals and toxic ingredients in medicines, that vaccines are the government's way of installing tracking devices in people, and other "what they don't want you to know" bullshit. He gave her some crazy diet and lifestyle regimen to follow- eat nothing but certain vegetables for a week, drink only mineral water, soak her hands in some kind of healing mud, etc.

After a couple weeks of seeing this witch doctor, she went off work again. She called me and explained that this guy told her that her thyroid was out of alignment so she took it upon herself to double up on her thyroid pills that her real doctor prescribed. Well, to nobody's great surprise, overdosing on these pills combined with an already weak constitution caused by receiving such little sustenance from nothing but spinach and kale is a recipe for disaster. She explained that she was too weak to leave the house.

That was the last time I talked to her. A couple weeks later I heard she suffered a severe stroke. She never came back to work. No idea if she's still alive today.

Vinny the Shark fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Ashcans posted:

You have to sell people something new and interesting if you want to convince them it's a magic fruit the government doesn't want you to have. You can't tell them that potatoes cure cancer because we've all been eating them forever. So you have to hunt up some fringe food, and it turns out there is usually a reason we're not eating it already.

Dis you know that raw, fresh cut Durian cures cancer? Depression too!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dameius posted:

Dis you know that raw, fresh cut Durian cures cancer? Depression too!

and your sense of smell

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Infowars

Cellphones

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

TinTower posted:

Cellphones

We call them 'mobile phones' in the UK so... complete opposite I guess?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

What's the dark secret of the German "handy"?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's legal to pay for one in some places there.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

TinTower posted:

Infowars

Cellphones

This is hilarious

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

TinTower posted:

Cellphones

What about jailbroken phones :smug:

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Vinny the Shark posted:

A woman I used to work with was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. She was constantly going on and on about how in pain she was and was always taking time off work to rest and heal. She was always looking for sympathy and wanting everyone to feel sorry for her. Since real doctors weren't magically curing her, she turned to what she called a "practitioner of natural and holistic remedies," which is basically saying she went to a quack doctor.
To be fair, Fibromyalgia causes a lot of pain and exhaustion, is an "invisible disease" that some people assume isn't real and doesn't currently have any cures or even reliable ways to manage it. Not to say that turning to alternative medicine was smart, but it is easy to see how it might start to appeal given how much it can impact your life. She quite possibly shouldn't have been in work at all, but might not have been able to afford not to. She may have been attention seeking, but people with health issues like Fibro often face people assuming they're just whining or whatever when actually they may well be living with acute pain among other problems.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

il_cornuto posted:

To be fair, Fibromyalgia causes a lot of pain and exhaustion, is an "invisible disease" that some people assume isn't real and doesn't currently have any cures or even reliable ways to manage it. Not to say that turning to alternative medicine was smart, but it is easy to see how it might start to appeal given how much it can impact your life. She quite possibly shouldn't have been in work at all, but might not have been able to afford not to. She may have been attention seeking, but people with health issues like Fibro often face people assuming they're just whining or whatever when actually they may well be living with acute pain among other problems.

See also: gluten allergies

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

il_cornuto posted:

I live with someone who has fibro, and as far as I can tell, it's a weird manifestation of depression or anxiety.

Things that work well for depression or anxiety help with fibro, but good luck getting someone to exercise when it feels like someone is stabbing them.

It shouldn't be surprising that someone finds that moon herb tea helps, they could probably substitute in lipton and have the same effect.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I live with someone who has fibro, and as far as I can tell, it's a weird manifestation of depression or anxiety.

Things that work well for depression or anxiety help with fibro, but good luck getting someone to exercise when it feels like someone is stabbing them.

It shouldn't be surprising that someone finds that moon herb tea helps, they could probably substitute in lipton and have the same effect.

It responds to depression meds and counseling as well. Sadly, the people I know with fibro take "Its a psychosomatic manifestation of depression" to mean "You think its fake and in my head!" and don't seek treatment.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dienes posted:

It responds to depression meds and counseling as well. Sadly, the people I know with fibro take "Its a psychosomatic manifestation of depression" to mean "You think its fake and in my head!" and don't seek treatment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJlPr2KHSFo

Literally everything we perceive is in our heads.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

My experiences with it match up to this. I have a friend who was suffering from fibromyalgia and it seemed to largely go away when she started exercising and doing other stuff that helped with her mental health

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

TinTower posted:

Cellphones

Some gizmo! :argh:

People use phones to communicate with each other though? That's like the entire point of it, not isolate you.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
To be fair, they do put constraints on you that you might not recognize.

I remember when I was in my last year of the Navy, I didn't have a cell phone and it was intolerable to my leadership. "What if we need to get in touch with you?"
I don't know what they did before cell phones were invented, but I assume they had some way of finding people in an emergency.

What was really going on is that prior to cell phones, managers had to be on the ball with schedules and events. If there was a mandatory training on Monday morning at an unusual location, they needed to put the word out on Friday. Cell phones enabled them to be lazy and call everyone on Sunday.

You can do the same thing with some backbone, but now you have to go out of your way to schedule time where you're unavailable.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Inside a discussion about leaving the Democratic party to more effectively pursue progressive goals:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Defenestration posted:

https://twitter.com/GaryRidesBikes/status/820050859568472064
[more info in twitter thread]

Macros wet dreaming about running over protestors are having real consequences. Here's assemblyman Keith Kempenich of North Dakota proposing a law that would make motorists not liable for anything if they run over someone blocking traffic.

Now just wait till a cop gets run over and watch how fast that fucker 180s.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

il_cornuto posted:

To be fair, Fibromyalgia causes a lot of pain and exhaustion, is an "invisible disease" that some people assume isn't real and doesn't currently have any cures or even reliable ways to manage it.

Or even, get this, evidence that it actually exists.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

People are bending over backwards to try to justify this is "Oh he was just having a laugh with a woman he's worked with for decades!" Because grabbing people's genitals is hiiiiiilarious to Republicans for some reason.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Dienes posted:

Yup. Someone who thinks psychosomatic means "fake" is broken in ways that will prevent them from ever solving their problems.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mr. Belding posted:

I know someone who has it. Duloxetine is extremely effective in treating it.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Belding posted:

It exists, in the sense that it is extant. I also have a family member who suffers and the diagnosis is fibromyalgia. The name, the diagnosis, I won't vouch for any more than the extant evidence of the disease. Our pharma puts names on all sorts of ailments so they can make money selling drugs, and I understand that.
On the other hand, my family member really suffers. The symptoms fit (of course) but the symptoms are definitely real. The thing is, she's not a weak or submissive person. She does not miss work or other obligations using fibro as an excuse. She is strong enough to fulfill all of her obligations and then some while still hurting.

I don't see how it's a cop-out when she never cops out. She overcomes, but anyone who knows her can tell it's difficult. She gets no sympathy because it's a fake disease with no evidence it exists, yet she works hard as hell and powers through the symptoms because she's strong. She's also in incredible pain.

I'm only saying not everyone deals with the symptoms and then uses the excuse to lay out of life or the work-force. This individual has all the indicators and all the pain but she never slacks off.

There's no benefit in claiming a fake illness if you never use it to lay home in bed being depressed, or getting FMLA or doing something to avoid your daily (strenuous) obligations.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
Fibromyalgia as a syndrome (or set of symptoms) is as extant as any set of symptoms. Of course a given series of symptoms exists. This one seems common especially in depressed, pre diabetic women. I have no doubt they are suffering. I have doubts that they are all suffering from a common illness rather than a combination of poor health, hormonal imbalance, and ennui.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
I also get it that people are touchy about this because they have loved ones who are suffering and they hear terms like "psychosomatic" and think that means "faking it". This is of course entirely inaccurate and shallow but forgivable.

That said the story of fibromyalgia is high on empathy and short on facts. There is no diagnostic test to show fibromyalgia. Which means the condition is just "I'm hurting and no test can prove another reason."

This should concern anyone who cares about th root causes of the condition.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I guess I'm not understanding because you just questioned whether or not it exists.

Let me put it this way. I think Morgellons "exists." I don't think they have fibers under their skin, but I think they're suffering from some other problem that makes them think that they are.
The treatment for Morgellons is not to remove the fibers, it's probably to treat it as delusional parasitosis.

If what you're saying is that Fibromyalgia shouldn't be taken at face value and treated with pain meds to treat pain, I think we're all in agreement.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJlPr2KHSFo

Literally everything we perceive is in our heads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp5QabWeUUw

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I could have sworn I saw the same thing in the Free Republic thread.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ron Jeremy posted:

The north had industry but the south, at least the planter elite, had shitloads of money. Cotton was king and planters had a very nice trade going with Great Britain to Fred its textile mils. Slavery was very healthy as an institution in 1860, especially compared to the British West Indies where slaves had been freed and decided, to everyone's amazement, not to want to work on plantations for poo poo wages.

Part of the calculus for the south was to get Britain into the war on their behalf, much like the French did in the revolution. Unfortunately the anti slavery sentiment in the U.K. kept them away politically and Egyptian cotton stepped in to replace southern American cotton economically.

England bought up a shitload of Confederate bonds but couldn't do much more because of the whole "slavery" thing (there was a "slavery" thing going on at the time that was unpopular in England but somewhat popular in the southern United States). Decades later England came back to try to cash in the money and America, collectively, laughed themselves sick. I have a sheet up on my wall.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Not a email but a conservative tabloid at the store. Republicans are all in on supporting Russia, I guess.

"Trump and Putin's Secret Alliance... Plans to overthrow China and remove North Korea and Iran dictators... And punish the REAL election hackers. "

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 17, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Is there a source on those images or is it straight-up fake?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Those are anti-air missiles fwiw. They're not pointed at the protestors in the ground.

Qwazes
Sep 29, 2014
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

No idea on that specific photo but this guy at DAPL posted photos of it, claims it's an anti-drone system: https://www.facebook.com/RebelutionaryZ

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

FACTS!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Well, if it says Facts! at the top like that, then it obviously must be true.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

the_steve posted:

Well, if it says Facts! at the top like that, then it obviously must be true.

You'd really hope given the advanced state of OCR and AI-assisted algorithms, that Facebook would both scold people for posting a loving pointless picture AND convert it to plain text with a Snopes link below.

Maybe Republicans just need Facebook to add a WordArt function so they can get their XL text without the idiotic artifacts. Shiny red/white/blue chrome bubble letters.

Edit: on second thought, nothing will improve until Facebook implements a forums-cancer or hell ban style system of penalties.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 17, 2017

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

chitoryu12 posted:

Sounds like they're real, but unless they found a good deal on missiles, they'd be idiotic to shoot down a $100 drone with a $50,000 missile.

I assume it is used just for radar capability. Is the area a no-fly zone?

Edit:

The thing that stood out to me though was that they didn't care if it was factual or not, because it was truthful.

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007

According to this, there should be 2.5 million illegal children in California schools. Since there's only around 10 million total illegals in the country this is certainly something... I got nothing.

Also are we footing the bill for gangs? That actually does seem like something to look in to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

What are we even paying them for??