Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

checksin posted:

What's the actual chronology of the Tiger Driver? I've seen that move described three different ways:
1) Tiger Driver: I've never really seen much of Misawa as Tiger Mask II, but I always thought that the Tiger Suplex (double-underhook german suplex) was his finisher, not a Tiger Driver. I can't even find footage of Tiger Mask II doing it, unless I'm an idiot who hasn't looked hard enough. Did Misawa do a special piledriver as Tiger Mask that I've just never seen?
2) Tiger Driver '91: I've seen Misawa do this a million times, which is the double-underhook kneeling piledriver/ganso bomb. Is it named the Tiger Driver '91 because it also uses a double-underhook grip (albeit backwards from the Tiger Suplex, since your opponent is facing you), just like the Tiger Suplex?
2) Tiger Driver '98: Double-underhook sitout piledriver designed to, uh, murder people? Did Misawa ever use this move, or did someone else invent it to kill indie guys?
The original Tiger Driver is not a piledriver, it's a sitout double underhook powerbomb. Misawa used it as a finisher/signature move throughout his career, and you can see him finish a match with it as Tiger Mask II here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVvofWP8sqI

Tiger Driver '91 starts from the same position as the original one, but obviously ends with the head drop we all know. Misawa introduced that variation in a match with Akira Taue in, well, 1991.

Tiger Driver '98 is entirely an American indy thing, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

checksin posted:

2) Tiger Driver '98: Double-underhook sitout piledriver designed to, uh, murder people? Did Misawa ever use this move, or did someone else invent it to kill indie guys?

Rush from CMLL uses it and it makes me uncomfortable as gently caress.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Doc Morbid posted:

Tiger Driver '98 is entirely an American indy thing, I believe.

And now there's the Tyler Driver '97. :britain:

Robert Plant
Jan 6, 2015

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm hosting a Rumble party this year. I need wrestling themed foods that aren't just Pastamania,

Uhh I "borrowed" this idea and asked some friends and these are my favorite suggestions:

-Big Poppa Popcorn
-Cesaro Salad
-The People's Elbow Macaroni
-Shane-O-Mac'N'Cheese
-Just mix everything in the liquor cabinet together and call it a Nature Boy

Honorable mention: Gangrel'd Cheese

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
The original Sayama Tiger Driver was a front neck chancery drop (i.e. vertical suplex from a front chancery grip)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Robert Plant posted:

You gotta dip this one in the tomato soup

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Halloween Jack posted:

You gotta dip this one in the tomato soup
You have to spit the soup on it actually

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Pour tomato soup on it from the ceiling.

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007
I just showed my girlfriend the Ride Along clip where James Ellsworth talked about being a Rosebud along with Becky Lynch and Simon Gotch (and Braun, even though I don't think he mentioned him). Are there any other examples of wrestlers appearing in cameo non-wrestling roles who later went on to main roster stardom? I got Charlotte/Sasha/Alexa in Triple H's WM30 entrance, CM Punk as a gangster in that one John Cena PPV entrance, and the Hardys holding the doors at KotR '96.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

DDP driving the Cadillac at Wrestlemania 6

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

yourdadsbestfriend posted:

I just showed my girlfriend the Ride Along clip where James Ellsworth talked about being a Rosebud along with Becky Lynch and Simon Gotch (and Braun, even though I don't think he mentioned him). Are there any other examples of wrestlers appearing in cameo non-wrestling roles who later went on to main roster stardom? I got Charlotte/Sasha/Alexa in Triple H's WM30 entrance, CM Punk as a gangster in that one John Cena PPV entrance, and the Hardys holding the doors at KotR '96.

Victoria appeared as one of The Godfather's hoes. Sheamus and Barrett appeared on a U.K. Raw as security. Tye Dillinger was Stan.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 17, 2017

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
Don't they always have indie guys as cops backstage? I've definitely seen Cesaro, Del Rio, MVP, Sheamus and Dillinger in those roles before they signed to the main roster.

Also RVD kissing DeBiase's foot for money when he was a kid and AJ Lee meeting Lita in a Wrestlemania Axxess video package, though those aren't cases of people being hired for roles.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Tommaso Ciampa played a lawyer of Hassan during his feud with Taker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C1iLsB4-ok

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

magnum_valentino posted:

Don't they always have indie guys as cops backstage? I've definitely seen Cesaro, Del Rio, MVP, Sheamus and Dillinger in those roles before they signed to the main roster.

Indie or Developmental guys. During the "New DX" stuff, Shane once appeared with a police squad consisting of Cesaro, EC3 and Darren Young.

Bryan appeared as a medic on Raw once.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

yourdadsbestfriend posted:

Charlotte showed up on a random Nitro in 1999 when Ric brought his family into the ring.

Horshu/Luther Reigns was a jobber that Roddy Pipe beat up during the worst Nitro segment ever.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

Germansimp posted:

Indie or Developmental guys. During the "New DX" stuff, Shane once appeared with a police squad consisting of Cesaro, EC3 and Darren Young.

Bryan appeared as a medic on Raw once.

That's right, EC3, knew there was someone from that period I'd seen recently and forgotten.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Robert Plant posted:

Uhh I "borrowed" this idea and asked some friends and these are my favorite suggestions:

-Big Poppa Popcorn
-Cesaro Salad
-The People's Elbow Macaroni
-Shane-O-Mac'N'Cheese
-Just mix everything in the liquor cabinet together and call it a Nature Boy

These all suck

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Scorpio Sky was "Howard" during the anger management thing with Kane and Daniel Bryan. He was about to get hired because of those segments, then he called somebody a fag on Twitter and that was it for him. Steve Corino once got wailed on by Crush after Crush lost a match as a fan plant and then got a Funkin' Dojo deal around that time.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

bradzilla posted:

These all suck

I don't know, I'm partial to the Nature Boy, but only if you drink it while wearing nothing but a robe.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Baron Corbyn posted:

Tye Dillinger was Stan.

Oh wow he was. Huh. I didn't know he was around that long.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

exploded mummy posted:

Goldberg was a jobber that Roddy Piper beat up during the worst Nitro segment ever.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Why does WWE seem to be really set in the idea that all heels have to use dirty tricks? It just seems weird to me because some of the most infuriating bad guys in movies (especially sports movies) aren't evil, they're just assholes who are really good at what they do and that makes them easier to hate. I mean I guess Brock fits this mold but they don't really book him as a heel per say.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cowardly Cheating Heel Who Somehow Holds the Title For Like a Year is now a WWE staple of the last 7-8 years.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Also common along those lines is Face Who Gradually Becomes More Heelish As His Endless Title Reign Continues.

TUS posted:

Tommaso Ciampa played a lawyer of Hassan during his feud with Taker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C1iLsB4-ok
It's amazing how completely different he looks.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Was there ever a GDT for Royal Rumble 2007 wanted to see the reactions from goons 10 years ago

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

Was there ever a GDT for Royal Rumble 2007 wanted to see the reactions from goons 10 years ago

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2300617&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

people really undervaluing Cena/Umaga ITT

oatgan fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 18, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

oatgan posted:

people really undervaluing Cena/Umaga ITT

imagine that

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Thanks

Kind of weird how there is one guy just posting screen shots, but I guess this was before the days of instant gifs.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

Thanks

Kind of weird how there is one guy just posting screen shots, but I guess this was before the days of instant gifs.

pre-twitter there were always posters refreshing the thread over and over for results

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

TUS posted:

I miss Rusev's lawyer.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Who's gonna be the surprise entrant in the Rumble?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Why does WWE seem to be really set in the idea that all heels have to use dirty tricks? It just seems weird to me because some of the most infuriating bad guys in movies (especially sports movies) aren't evil, they're just assholes who are really good at what they do and that makes them easier to hate. I mean I guess Brock fits this mold but they don't really book him as a heel per say.

WWE probably gets away from it more than any major promotion. The basic wrestling match is set up around the heel being the worse wrestler, the heel is supposed to get the heat by cheating, same with tags. WWE however doesn't want heels cheating for heat for the most part. Beyond matches being structured this way, heels who are good wrestlers but just assholes end up being faces before long. Wrestling is much different from movies and TVs, you are exposed to people for longer periods of time and it's easier to develop that appreciation.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Sandman McMahon posted:

Who's gonna be the surprise entrant in the Rumble?
Papa Shango will finally make a surprise entrance after Wade Barrett has left the company

Surprisingly haven't seen many rumors about entrants this year. I expect Samoa Joe at bare minimum

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

achillesforever6 posted:

Thanks

You know you are getting old when you see Scotsman called "one guy" :smith:

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Jerusalem in 2007 posted:

I think the best thing that could happen at Wrestlemania is a Heel Batista losing to Taker, the lights go out, they come back on and the ring is empty and the belt is lying in the middle of the ring.

That's it, no goodbye or retirement speech, Undertaker just disappears forever and they have a tournament to crown the new champ. If anyone deserves to go out on top, it's Undertaker. Let him have his streak, let him retire champion. He has been there through bad times and good for WWF/E.

Also a TON of hatred for Batista in the thread at the mere concept of that 'ungrateful piece of poo poo' breaking the streak. Good thing an ungrateful piece of poo poo didn't end up breaking the streak instead of Batista. :laugh:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
People have been fantasy-booking "Taker wins the title, retires and disappears with the belt in the ring" far longer than I thought.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Where do people rate Paul Bearer as a promo? I feel like he's super-underrated these days -- dude was consistently given the most ridiculous storylines in the company and always sold then with 100% conviction.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

RealFoxy posted:

Papa Shango will finally make a surprise entrance after Wade Barrett has left the company

Surprisingly haven't seen many rumors about entrants this year. I expect Samoa Joe at bare minimum

I'd also expect Tye Dillinger at number 10.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Also a TON of hatred for Batista in the thread at the mere concept of that 'ungrateful piece of poo poo' breaking the streak. Good thing an ungrateful piece of poo poo didn't end up breaking the streak instead of Batista. :laugh:

Didn't Brock thank him right after he pinned him? Maybe Brock isn't a company guy but everything I saw or heard around that time has him being a class act to Taker, unless I missed something big. I can't really blame people who get the most for the least out of WWE the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

new phone who dis posted:

Didn't Brock thank him right after he pinned him? Maybe Brock isn't a company guy but everything I saw or heard around that time has him being a class act to Taker, unless I missed something big. I can't really blame people who get the most for the least out of WWE the company.

Oh, I don't blame Brock at all. He doesn't give much of a poo poo about wrestling and yet people keep giving him tons of money to be involved in it. Good on Brock, get all the money you can. It's just funny seeing the whining about Batista, when more or less everything that was said about Batista more or less applies to the actual guy who ended the streak.