Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

lets hang out posted:

a ton of new nioh videos went up from everyone today and surprise it still looks good

Are there more weapon classes than there were in the Beta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm still having problems consoling how much Nioh apes Souls, but it also seems dumb to not like a game because it aspires to be a game I really like.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

veni veni veni posted:

I'm still having problems consoling how much Nioh apes Souls, but it also seems dumb to not like a game because it aspires to be a game I really like.

Well at least Nioh is doing it well as opposed to that turd Lords of the Fallen.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

RatHat posted:

Are there more weapon classes than there were in the Beta?

I saw someone using a kusarigama in one of them, these things

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

True

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Nioh has a lot of similarities to Dark Souls but it feels a lot different to actually play.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought it felt different in that it didn't feel very good. Although I am going off the first alpha and I think a lot of what felt bad could have been fixed with a few small tweaks so it may very well end up being good.

I think the thing that bugs me about Nioh is that it barely has it's own identity. It felt like such a wholesale ripoff of Dark Souls when I played it. It's like, I want people to rip off Dark Souls but I don't really feel like anyone is doing it and putting enough of their own spin on it. Same reason I found Salt and Sanctuary really off putting. At least Nioh is sort of different thematically and the characters don't look like webcomics.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Nioh clicked with me so much I ended up pre-ordering it. The variety of attacks and moves in it is really impressive to me and, while it's obviously super-inspired by Demon's Souls and such the combat feels a lot more like a mix of that and Ninja Gaiden once you get more moves and items to work with. Especially the way the magic and ninja stuff works. I really like that it rewards efficient combat with your stamina refilling quickly and I feel like it's a lot harder to get out of a bad situation than in the Souls games so I was playuing the alpha and beta much more cautiously. But even at its worst, it's intense to play to me.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I, for one, am very excited about Onimusha Souls, especially if they improved the systems even further from the Beta. They fixed drat near everything I disliked about the Alpha as it is.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
The last beta for Nioh was so good and fun to play with a friend (easy to connect, too) that I preordered it.

I would describe it as Dark Souls Bloodborne with combat sped up about three times. The stance changes doubling as attacks and parries was very cool. The loot system makes me think of Freedom Wars. There is a really good pocket watch.

SamuraiPaul fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 17, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hoping they reverted the shooting controls to the alpha settings or allow rebinding if they haven't

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SamuraiPaul posted:

I would describe it as Dark Souls with combat sped up about three times.

So Bloodborne? Or Dark Souls 3? :v:

But seriously, I did hear they really improved a lot from the first alpha that I played. I hope it's good because it does look pretty cool.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nioh's different enough to where I don't think I'd feel burned out playing it like I did with dark souls 3. they take the formula and do their own thing with it

I didn't like the alpha much but the beta was a lot better and I was enjoying myself a fair bit by the time I got to the boss (which I didn't really like much). if the full game is as improved as the beta was over the alpha, nioh's shaping up to be a very solid game and probably the best souls imitator

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really want to hear what the development cycle was like for that game. Hasn't it been in development for like 12 years or something, before Souls was even a thing? I am really curious as to what early builds are like before they decided to make it a Souls clone.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

veni veni veni posted:

I really want to hear what the development cycle was like for that game. Hasn't it been in development for like 12 years or something, before Souls was even a thing? I am really curious as to what early builds are like before they decided to make it a Souls clone.

Probably some combination of Ninja Gaiden and Onimusha.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Based on some scrapped Kurosawa film it was scrapped for awhile because it was too similar to Ninja Gaiden and it also had rts elements at one point or something?

Also it was supposed to be a PS3 LAUNCH title

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 17, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah i think it was on hold for the majority of time between its announcement and reannouncement. they saw from blow up and dug up the assets

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I thought it felt different in that it didn't feel very good. Although I am going off the first alpha and I think a lot of what felt bad could have been fixed with a few small tweaks so it may very well end up being good.

I think the thing that bugs me about Nioh is that it barely has it's own identity. It felt like such a wholesale ripoff of Dark Souls when I played it. It's like, I want people to rip off Dark Souls but I don't really feel like anyone is doing it and putting enough of their own spin on it. Same reason I found Salt and Sanctuary really off putting. At least Nioh is sort of different thematically and the characters don't look like webcomics.

Imo judging from the beta, combat feels better - more fluid - than in Souls games. Stances change a lot and you actually can be the fastest guy in battlefield, do little damage then go to another stance and do the dodge and attack Souls thing where everyone hits faster than you. In souls games you have to play like Punch-Out most of the time.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Holy poo poo, Uncharted 4 is an engaging game. Meaning that I just had to stop playing and go to bed. Otherwise I would've played it overnight.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Dark Souls 3 is going to have two DLC areas eventually right? I'm still working on the base content, and wondering if I should get the season pass now or wait.

Also has there ever been any talk about either that or Bloodborne getting performance patches for the Pro? Or would that make PvP unfair...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Dark Souls 3 is going to have two DLC areas eventually right? I'm still working on the base content, and wondering if I should get the season pass now or wait.

Also has there ever been any talk about either that or Bloodborne getting performance patches for the Pro? Or would that make PvP unfair...

Yes. And I hear the first one is sort of short so I'm waiting for them both to come out so it feels more substantial.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea the first one is short and honestly kinda disappointing

I don't think from has mentioned anything about pro patches

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Adaptabullshit posted:

Holy poo poo, Uncharted 4 is an engaging game. Meaning that I just had to stop playing and go to bed. Otherwise I would've played it overnight.

It is very good. I just finished a run last week. They nailed the climbing this time.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

veni veni veni posted:

Yes. And I hear the first one is sort of short so I'm waiting for them both to come out so it feels more substantial.

It's ok, like, I absolutely wanted more Dark Souls 3 and I got my money's worth, but yeah it's nothing mindblowing like The Old Hunters. That might have been a little underwhelming too though if it were split into two parts like they originally planned

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

I would wait. The first DLC is by far the worst a Soulsborne DLC has been, though if you dig Souls then that's probably a bit unfair to it. It DOES have some really interesting weapons, but that's probably the high point of it.

It's also likely that the second DLC will be following the first one, storywise, due to some of the dialogue at the end.

Trojan Kaiju fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 17, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's def the worst dlc from has put out for a souls game. it's not bad but every other time they've done dlc, its been better than the base game. this time around it's just a solid level with some decent bosses and weapons

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

I, for one, am very excited about Onimusha Souls, especially if they improved the systems even further from the Beta. They fixed drat near everything I disliked about the Alpha as it is.

Wait, wait, wait there is gonna be an Onimusha sequel? I played the gently caress out of Onimusha Warlords back in the day and really liked it!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Morby posted:

Wait, wait, wait there is gonna be an Onimusha sequel? I played the gently caress out of Onimusha Warlords back in the day and really liked it!

he's talking about nioh; there's no onimusha sequel

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I liked Shin Onimusha a lot (especially the final boss who is just an evil white guy god) and was disappointed that the franchise didn't continue. But that's Capcom I guess!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Thanks! I ended up beating it today. Eventually I got passable at it (playing on Warrior). Kinda got worried when Menasor dropped in during the second Devastator fight but then I ended up S-ranking it so :shrug:.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Played through Inside earlier today. It's a cool game, and definitely worth checking out if you liked Limbo.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

he's talking about nioh; there's no onimusha sequel

Dammit! That's what I get for getting my hopes up. I'd love a remaster of those old games. Or, hell, put 'em in the PS2 on PS4 catalogue. I'd buy them again for $10-15.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

goferchan posted:

It's ok, like, I absolutely wanted more Dark Souls 3 and I got my money's worth, but yeah it's nothing mindblowing like The Old Hunters. That might have been a little underwhelming too though if it were split into two parts like they originally planned

To be fair old hunters was originally 2 DLCs and was priced more than the average expansion. Sounds like the DS3 is about half as long as TOH.

It's a shame everyone says it's not as good though. Old hunters is pretty hard to beat.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Do you guys know if the Nioh Mark of the Conqueror DLC is going to be exclusive to Alpha/Beta players or will it be buyable eventually?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

To be fair old hunters was originally 2 DLCs and was priced more than the average expansion. Sounds like the DS3 is about half as long as TOH.

It's a shame everyone says it's not as good though. Old hunters is pretty hard to beat.

its like 4 hours long on a first run and one of the two boss fights is recycled enemies.

the other boss fight is cool but not anywhere near as challenging as toh's bosses.
i prefer the level design in the original painted world much more as well.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
You know one thing that would have made Nioh actually stand out more is if they ripped off FromSoftware a little more a certain department. The soundtrack to the Otogi games is one of the sickest soundtracks ever made. Despite the dark fantasy setting it has a lot of like industrial percussion tracks and is very modern sounding. I'd love to hear something like that in a fantasy kind of game again.

For some more detail about its background, this was part of a really old thing I wrote about the alpha:

Neo Rasa posted:

Nioh has had a long journey from concept to game. It was actually originally announced in 2004 under the slightly different name Ni-Oh, with plans for it to launch in 2006 on the PlayStation 3. Not only that, Ni-oh was also a tie in to the first non-documentary film directed by Hisao Kurosawa, from a script written by his father, Akira Kurosawa himself! The script is titled Oni, and is a slightly surreal take on William Adam’s journey from wayward navigator to shogun’s confidante. James Clavell’s 1975 novel Shogun is also very loosely based on these historical events. A slightly more accurate (albeit still heavily romanticized) take can be found in the 1868 book Will Adams, The First Englishman in Japan, the entirety of which can be read here.

The film was cancelled, and while the game was said to still be in development by Koei Tecmo (then just KOEI) it stayed so under the radar it may as well have been cancelled too. However, out of nowhere in 2010 Koei Tecmo announced that Team Ninja was still working on the game, but there was still next to no real information on what it would be like beyond it being an action game focused on Japanese mythology.

Despite the film never being made, however, players still assume the role of a stranded mariner named William. This implies that a more character focused narrative will be present in the final game concerning our shipwrecked protagonist, but nothing of the sort surfaces in the demo. William’s design is also inexplicably a dead ringer of everyone’s favorite sardonic supernatural slayer, Geralt of the Witcher series. An odd choice.

Fortunately, despite his unceremonious introduction, our hero is proficient in the arts of combat, magic, and ninjutsu from the outset, with the only limit on his abilities being how one wants to distribute the souls amrita acquired by killing enemies at the game’s bonfires shrines. This may make Team Ninja’s creativity seem lacking, but while the challenge players expect from FromSoftware’s Souls series is in full swing, Nioh is also built on an excellent foundation that helps it stand out. It’s would be unfair to say this game is just a clone of Dark Soul.

On the surface, however, such an assumption is understandable. Team Ninja being inspired by FromSoftware’s games is obvious from the moment one starts Nioh‘s demo and sees the in-game HUD and animations, but which FromSoftware games Team Ninja was inspired by is where is a bit more interesting. The last two times Nioh was announced by Koei Tecmo were in 2004 and 2010. So it seems like no coincidence that it’s a moody game of yōkai horror (Otogi: Myth of Demons, FromSoftware, 2003) with a savagery and speed to its combat in a world beginning to end that much more closely matches Demon‘s Souls (FromSoftware, 2009). None of these concepts are new to video games, but their execution in Nioh shows a clear line of influence from these games right down to Nioh‘s world being broken into discreet missions with a short but bleak world building description of each area – Something used to great effect in the Otogi series and Demon’s Souls.

As much as the game seems awesome though from what little music we get there's no way it's going to have a soundtrack as off the chain as the ones for the Otogi games. I wish FromSoftware would go back to industrial percussion and prog stuff for their fantasy games, even if it's just for certain areas of the game and not general background music. "Fantasy game music" feels pretty limited today.

fadam posted:

Do you guys know if the Nioh Mark of the Conqueror DLC is going to be exclusive to Alpha/Beta players or will it be buyable eventually?

Unlike the alpha and beta ones for Destiny IIRC you had to actually beat a boss in Nioh to get the DLC, so I'm hoping everyone just gets it for beating that boss in the main game. Given the amount of loot in the game all the bosses dropping some special mark/weapon/etc. would be reasonable.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 17, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I am insanely down for another otogi game in general

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I'm enjoying Transformers Devastation but is it recommended that I just stick with one character for the whole game? I'm not sure I understand the EXP system and if unused characters don't level up I'd rather just focus on one character.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009
Checking in to say I just beat TLG.

The short summary of my impressions is that overall it's good.

The story is really good and I was so invested that all the fear, suspense, joy, anger the game tried to display really hit me. Trico is amazing. The work they did to make him feel real is unbelievable. It's stupid how emotionally invested in him I was.

The controls and camera are absolute garbage. Even if you try to hand wave Trico's commands as a meta part of the game.

The game works great when you interact with it as it expects, but confusing and frustrating when you don't. It took me forever to figure out how to feed Trico toward the end of the game because it wants you to do it a specific way.

I even liked the philosophy of "show don't tell" design, but there were some times that I was doing something, it didn't work, I look up a guide and I was doing the right thing, it just wasn't going through for some reason.

It was designed for a PS3 and runs like dog poo poo on the PS4 at times. I get there was a lot going on in the game, but it's pretty ambitious to develop a next next gen title.

Overall, I'm glad I stuck it out. I don't know if I'll ever play it again, almost purely because of the controls, but it's worth a play through despite all it's faults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

headset chat

Anyone grab the Sony Platinum headset yet? Looks like some vendors have already been selling them (GameStop?). Reviews seem to be both good and bad

I know a lot of you have probably seen me talk about the Lucidsound line of headsets. I got their LS30 wireless stereo headset and had been eagerly awaiting the LS40's which is their "premium" headset with 7.1 VSS that came out just recently.

As much as I want to support them..I just can't recommend the LS40 at all. The sound is "hollow," which is the best way I can put it, and voices just sound real quiet. The LS30 is definitely worth checking out though and I've enjoyed using mine the last long while

Amazon ships the Platinums on the 19th it looks like. I'd like to try them out before I return the LS40 and compare them a bit. I'm really not one to return poo poo but they just really don't sound good at all

:can: I really hate wires and like to walk around my place with my headset on like a doofus, I'm considering just getting a high end wired headset