Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

canyoneer posted:

I may be misremembering but aren't there tiered victory conditions, with minor victories?

I think that was Attila, but even there the minor victory conditions were too long. Warhammer is the first game since Shogun to get victory conditions right, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

canyoneer posted:

I may be misremembering but aren't there tiered victory conditions, with minor victories?

there was economic, cultural and military victory iirc but there was no short campaign (literally just a limit on the amount of years)

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

One day a higher difficulty will mean simply a smarter AI instead of ridiculous unit buffs and public order fuckery

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

UnfurledSails posted:

One day a higher difficulty will mean simply a smarter AI instead of ridiculous unit buffs and public order fuckery

Maybe one day when that wouldn't mean turn times upwards of 10 minutes and battles that actually need the latest and greatest CPU to even run. A smart AI requires a lot of look-ahead and consideration, both of which are currently capped in-game to keep turn times down beyond the fact that many considerations aren't even programmed in.

I'd rather they increased online campaigns to allow for up to 4 players. It'd be a similarly painful experience but at least one shared with others.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Simultaneous turns like in Civ and more than 2 person multiplayer is my greatest wish for this franchise.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

brocretin posted:

I think that was Attila, but even there the minor victory conditions were too long. Warhammer is the first game since Shogun to get victory conditions right, IMO.

to make it clear what a "short campaign" means in Attila, the Alans have to fully own narbonensis (south france) and a province in modern day Romenia while also killing Attila.

Short campaign my rear end.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

kanonvandekempen posted:

Haha holy poo poo, your Scotsman in Egypt LP is the first and only one I read from start to finish, that must have been ages ago.

ZearothK posted:

Hot drat, yeah. That one was pretty much the high point for LPs in my book, it was before my time on the forums, so let me use this opportunity to gush like a fanboy. Great stuff.

Thanks to you both, every so often I go take a look through it again - some parts I think hold up pretty well, other parts I kinda wish I could go back and shake myself and force me to rewrite great chunks of it :)

ZearothK posted:

Speaking of LPs, I don't presume the Rome Total Realism one for the Greek Cities ever got archived? I think it was done by Porkness?

This one, right?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All DLC for Atilla is 75% so use it to play Total War: Medieval 2,5

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Mans posted:

All DLC for Atilla is 75% so use it to play Total War: Medieval 2,5

I'm thinking of buying Attila, but the opinions for all the DLC except Empires of Sand seem to range from "these units are basically the same as vanilla ones/this adds some blood, should have been in the base game" to "everything in this campaign is poo poo".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What's a good Napoleon mod? I know Imperial Splendour is the go-to for Empire, but I never really dug into Napoleon modding, since the base game is fairly solid.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GrossMurpel posted:

I'm thinking of buying Attila, but the opinions for all the DLC except Empires of Sand seem to range from "these units are basically the same as vanilla ones/this adds some blood, should have been in the base game" to "everything in this campaign is poo poo".

steam reviews for total war games are vastly salty BS.

Attila's DLC is admitedly not as good as Rome 2, but that's mostly because Attila was pretty well done from the start. Empires of the Sand adds very interesting factions to the base game with unique units while the german and Irish DLC is kind of lackluster due to not being very different from what you get out of the vikings, Saxons or Franks.

The Last Roman Campaign i didn't find very interesting but Charlemagne is pretty good so get that one for the two euros it's currently for.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

What's a good Napoleon mod? I know Imperial Splendour is the go-to for Empire, but I never really dug into Napoleon modding, since the base game is fairly solid.

Why is Imperial Splendour so good again? Seems like only France and Britain have a finished roster, it's in early beta i guess and the first thing that happened when i tried some diplomacy was "insert missing string here".

I don't know about mods set in that era, but The Great War gives you bigger explosions than Fall of the Samurai when it isn't crashing.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Their team apparently imploded due to something early last year and until recently they only got their poo poo together to start finally working and finishing both NTW and ETW mods.

In the days of Total War modding for Empire only Splendour and The Rights Of Man were attempting to spin ETW into something fun. Every other mod was pretty lame.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

While Empires of Sand is clearly the best Atilla DLC and Vikings is the worst, the Longbeard, Celt, and Slav DLCs are all pretty decent and Charlemagne is really cool. Stay away from the Last Roman though, very few people enjoyed that one much.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh yeah the German DLC has some shotgun slinger thing which is balls to the walls crazy

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Any Attila mod recommendations that remove the brown filter or unit reskins to give some people more nicely colored burlap sacks?

EDIT. I am the goatherding smokehouse king of Attila.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 3, 2016

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

GrossMurpel posted:

The Total War community is kind of crap and will complain about Vikings saying the wrong God so the pack is worthless or something. The Langobards, Celts, and VIking Forefathers are solid packs when it comes to Total War and worth it on a good sale, but they are noticeably lacking compared to the three better packs:

Age of Charlemagne: Pretty nice. A bit disappointing when it comes to units, but it's got some really neat campaign map features. I'd recommend it on sale.
Empires of Sand: Three pretty distinct-feeling factions and generally agreed to be the best of the faction DLCs. Worth it at full price or sale.
Slavic Nations: Not as distinctly different as the Sand Empires nations, but a decent pack that gives you things like unique poison bow or anti-cavalry infantry and strategic features like cheap colonization or Hun affinity. It's neat, but I'd recommend it on sale.

Also, the thread is about four and half years old and while drat the OPs have a ton of information, we've seen Rome II, Attila, and Warhammer and their content along with Steam/iPad re-releases since it's been posted. Would anyone object to starting a new one? I can start writing something like TW lineage and take in feedback on DLC, guides, and mods.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, a new thread might be in order, though it can maybe wait until there's enough buzz around the unnanounced historical project or return of Arena, I guess?

Empires of Sand is the best DLC of any pre-Warhammer Total War, and only recently surpassed by the King and the Warlord, IMHO.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I think the guy who did the OP doesn't post much these days now, so a new thread would be worth it when we know when the next history themed outing will be.

Also, TWC has been funny since ETW had issues so disreguard a lot of popular reviews and opinions about the games outside this thread. I am surprised these days people are still posting there instead of migrating to a crazy rts rascist micro reddit tumblr thing.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

I think the guy who did the OP doesn't post much these days now, so a new thread would be worth it when we know when the next history themed outing will be.

Also, TWC has been funny since ETW had issues so disreguard a lot of popular reviews and opinions about the games outside this thread. I am surprised these days people are still posting there instead of migrating to a crazy rts rascist micro reddit tumblr thing.

I try looking on TWC and that forum is a shitshow. While I realize not everyone speaks English as a first language and I can be reasonable about it, most of the posts there are just a garbled, unreadable mess. The sheer vitriol they express towards mod creators over free game alterations is weird, too.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah, I'm cool with that. As much as I like Warhammer, I hope that there is a new historical Total War pretty soon.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Plan Z posted:

I try looking on TWC and that forum is a shitshow. While I realize not everyone speaks English as a first language and I can be reasonable about it, most of the posts there are just a garbled, unreadable mess. The sheer vitriol they express towards mod creators over free game alterations is weird, too.

I think ETW brought in a lot of weirdo nationalist types who use history as a cover and broke or made a lot of gaming grognards super bitter and entitled. And it went down hill from there.

Sadly CA seems to be too well, nice to dump the site now as it was the roots of their modding and multiplayer community back in the pre-STEAM era but it really is just embarassing to look at now. There was a time really where it was just an average gaming forum but like a lot of non SA forums rot has happened and nobody cares enough to clean it up or stop it.

A shame really as the site itself was pretty good and covers the franchise in depth but it is let down by that forum.

gently caress the guy in charge of the sight for that obnoxious transparent Eagle overlay thingy on the front page though.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Seven Kingdoms Total War came out on the 2nd. It's actually for Attila which surprised me, but it's just custom battles so it seems pretty pointless

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
How's the Zelda TW mod looking? I caught myself thinking about it the other day, it was really fun but really buggy. Anyone been playing it recently?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Are there any buildings in FotS you can only build once?
The encyclopedia description of the Daily News building makes it sound like it would be one of them.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

sauer kraut posted:

Are there any buildings in FotS you can only build once?
The encyclopedia description of the Daily News building makes it sound like it would be one of them.

As a general rule, the top tier buildings that are not province specialities or common to every province are all one of.

Ie. Legendary Dojo, Daily news, British trading post etc are all one of, Star fort and gunsmith etc are not.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

On a lark I decided to reinstall Medieval 2. What's the go-to spergy extended mod nowadays? I took a look at Stainless Steel and moaned when I noticed that the mod's installation still involves downloading seventeenteen separate rar files, combining them together in the shrine of the silver monkey, and then apply three different patches.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

On a lark I decided to reinstall Medieval 2. What's the go-to spergy extended mod nowadays? I took a look at Stainless Steel and moaned when I noticed that the mod's installation still involves downloading seventeenteen separate rar files, combining them together in the shrine of the silver monkey, and then apply three different patches.

Is it only spergy if it's real history? Because Third Age Total War has a shitload of content.
Also, you should be playing EU4, sillyhead.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Rabhadh posted:

How's the Zelda TW mod looking? I caught myself thinking about it the other day, it was really fun but really buggy. Anyone been playing it recently?

Currently going through a massive re-tool in terms of visual design and troop types. More 'classic Total War-ish'.

Judge for yourself(There are others you can look through, also);

http://undyingnephalim.deviantart.com/art/Darknut-Legion-Guide-Excerpt-650615387

As a result unit statlines are all similar to each other, and will be even after completion; he's using a global template for statlines, and modifying that template is the purpose of words like 'Shield' 'Armoured' in that guide. No Darknuts with 20+ armour and such. The factions are generally getting full access to trade and diplomacy and such, as well as some new mechanics and re-implementaions of older ones(Example: The Kokiri get Happiness bonuses for alliances, but going to war penalises you. Sheikah have the Shadow/Death Stance back).

It is playable currently, but...the best word is 'sketchy', as not everything's in place.

On the other hand, things like 'The Occa showing up as allies for pious factions' is semi-implemented.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 20, 2016

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ofaloaf posted:

Broken Crescent is only two downloadable files and is the superior historical mod for medieval 2.

It focuses on the middle east, expanding the map to present day Afghanistan and is a very rich experience.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I played Attila a decent amount at launch and up to the Viking DLC. I enjoyed it but stopped playing, and now I bought all the DLC and am about to start up again. Plan on reading a bit on the changes, but is there anything that isn't documented that's different mechanics-wise from early release or anything that I need to know?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Charlemagne DLC brings war weariness to the table, slavs have poison arrows and the white huns are a thing and they wreck persians but other than slight balance changes there's nothing different from vanilla i thinl.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Are any of the Total Warhammer DLCs particularly good? I'd prefer not to more than double the price of the game right off the bat.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Eschatos posted:

Are any of the Total Warhammer DLCs particularly good? I'd prefer not to more than double the price of the game right off the bat.

Most are decent but they're all relatively stand-alone. If you really, really want to play a certain faction, it might be worth grabbing their DLC from the start, but otherwise pay as you go.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean the two Lord Packs just add some new units to the existing factions, so you might want to get those two.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

The King and the Warlord is, imo, the best bang for your buck at the moment. The Wood Elves and Beastmen are incredibly fun factions to play, but if you aren't interested in them you can skip them. You'll see them on the Grand Campaign even if you don't have the DLC.

In fact, you'll see way too much of the Wood Elves.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
Best thing to do is "win" a campaign of just the base game. Not to the actual win conditions, but until it feels like you have won. That will give you a good feeling for the game itself and you should hopefully have run into every DLC faction to give you an idea of what they do and how they play, which you let you know if they are worth it. The DLC only lets you play as those races/Lords, they will be in your game normally so if you don't want to play them the DLC does nothing for you.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How are the original Rome TW mods doing these days? Is Europa Barbarorum still the go to, or have Roma Surrectum and RTR got some new releases?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can play RS witout crashing every 5 turns so that's a plus. EB is still the best "historical" mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

got board with warhams, started a playthough of fall of the samurai.

Goddamn i forgot how good this game is. Planning on going independent come realm divide. Was gonna take my time, but a neighboring domain has gone absolutely buck wild so now were stuck in a shogunate fueled race down the a main island, gobbling up as many minors as I can so im not completly overwhelmed come realm divide. Might actually research and build improved defenses this time, im kind of curious how ridiculous gun batteries are.