Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Yeah, Geos CM is absolutely impossible for me. He is a lot harder compared to the Pigs and there isn't an easy cheese option like Maria BSB RW. Even the 250 fight took my A-Team to the absolute limit before I barely prevailed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Hey this Torment boss isn't too bad, it's almost dead and nothing that bad has happened ye-

-Tail for 4000 to the party.
-Tail for 4000 to the party.

Ooooookay then

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Tomorrow's Lucky Draw is gonna exclude Unique SBs and OSBs, and may or may not include BSBs. The wording isn't clear, since Burst Super Soul Breaks are technically still Super Soul Breaks. So uh, if you're like me and were planning on pulling, you might want to take a look at what is gonna be available first.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I think I'm going to hold off on the Torment Dungeon until after I can get Engulfing Twinstrike from the next FFX event. Since I have Paine's En-Water SSB.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Nihilarian posted:

Tomorrow's Lucky Draw is gonna exclude Unique SBs and OSBs, and may or may not include BSBs. The wording isn't clear, since Burst Super Soul Breaks are technically still Super Soul Breaks. So uh, if you're like me and were planning on pulling, you might want to take a look at what is gonna be available first.

Wow that would be an incredibly poo poo banner - seems weird that they would start doing that now, unless that was normal before I started playing. If it's SSBs only I guess I'll save it to pull on the Tactics banner, or maybe toss an extra pull at the Nightmare banner if I don't get anything crazy.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Varance posted:

Tyro's Selection 3 stuff

Even though almost everything on the banner is a dupe or clone, I'm a little tempted to pull for the enelement stuff. Both Squall (OSB) and Rinoa (BSB) could really benefit from it and I'm never pulling on a FF8 banner again, but at the same time I feel like 2 casts of their SBs would do more damage than enelement + SB.

Nihilarian posted:

Son of a bitch :catstare:

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Nihilarian posted:

So Squall, Rinoa, Zidane OSBs are off, that's a surprising change. If BSBs aren't included too I'm gonna have to take a hard look on what's actually left on the banner before I decide to pull.

(who am I kidding, I even pulled on the horrible Revenge Lucky Draw)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

They're not going to cut out BSBs don't be silly.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

To be clear I don't actually think BSBs are going to be excluded - they aren't specifically called out like OSBs are, it just says you can draw SSBs and doesn't mention BSBs at all. We'll find out soon.

As far as OSBs go, we're missing out on Squall's, Rinoa's and Zidane's (assuming the most recent FF9 relics are otherwise represented on the banner). XIV and Tactics don't have OSBs yet; though the latter gets one like a week from now.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Dr Pepper posted:

They're not going to cut out BSBs don't be silly.

I wasn't exactly jonesing for OSBs either so I don't care. I'll take a look at the list before I pull though, just to see. It might not have any of the most recent stuff, due to the wording. Even if it doesn't, I don't really care, but I like to be informed.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Yeah don't say poo poo like "they may or may not include BSBs" when there's no evidence that they would possibly leave them out and no precedent even if it's technically true, it just makes people panic

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Both 200 and 250 Torment dungeons mastered. As for the CM, I'll just slowly back away and pretend that it doesn't exist. As for what was able to win...

Everything you see above for both dungeons, except I used Tidus OSB as my RW.

Greg's BSB was mainly how I got through the trash. I took a big risk not putting Wrath on Y'shtola, but I was able to get Asylum up and running quickly enough in both the 200 and 250. Tyro was there to provide Keeper's Tome (to cover ProShell and provide a much-needed magic blink in spots) as well as Wall. Funny enough, I never once used his Entrust. Ramza was purely there for support and Shout. Zell to hit things hard with his BSB, Lifebane, and to cast the RW.

I made it through the 200 dungeon with relative ease. The 250 was a real slog though. The trash didn't present any problems, but the boss is simply a mountain of HP. I had Zell chain-cast his second BSB command to keep piling on damage as quickly as possible and keep his SB bar charged to lead straight into another use of Duelist. I held off on using his Lifebanes and the RW casts until very near the end. Greg provided some decent DPS as well, and I'm glad I thought to use Faithful Companion, because the major regen from that gave me a ton of extra healing support. I had Tyro basically alternating between Keeper's Tome and SG, and I had him stick the break commands from KT as much as I could. Y'sh was healing like mad and able to keep Asylum up almost the entire time, and I'm convinced now that her BSB is superior to Vanille's.

It took a lot of chipping away, and with about 15% or so to go I unleashed Zell's Lifebanes and started using the RW. It was at this point that I was starting to lose control of the fight a bit. I had gotten hit hard by a regurgitate and figured that I was one unlucky AoE away from death. I didn't have an Asylum queued up, so I had Tyro cast one final KT just in case that AoE was Tsunami. Turns out I was right. Magic Blink ate the Tsunami, Y'sh cast one final Asylum, and Zell was able to finish the job.

That entire dungeon took about 45 minutes. Sheesh.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Yeah don't say poo poo like "they may or may not include BSBs" when there's no evidence that they would possibly leave them out and no precedent even if it's technically true, it just makes people panic

It would be completely stupid if they cut out BSBs and nobody would draw on the thing, so yeah I was confused when I read that earlier.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Highlander

I used Vanille's BSB to heal after a Climhazzard but then Enemy Beatrix used a second one right after so that sucked.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

You're probably right, and I should have phrased it better. Still gonna check first, though :v:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I would be fine with no OSBs. No BSBs would be a no pull, though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Attestant posted:

I would be fine with no OSBs. No BSBs would be a no pull, though.

There's still some decent stuff in there (Ley Lines, Shout, Deployment Tactics, Engulfing Warmth). There's also a fair number of Hastegas if you're missing them, and three Magic Blinks.

I doubt they'd remove BSBs, but even if they did it's not like there are a lot of duds bar the old stuff.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

:smithicide: I'll be damned if Zidane isn't the most loathsome boss I've ever fought in this game. Not the hardest, but even so I had to retweak my party a bunch before realizing that I should just make things easier with an end run around his DEF buff and ATK debuff. Even then I still had to cheese it a bit by grinding up SB bars (since his first three attacks do no damage).

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Man this CM is brutalizing me even with Cid's BSB. I thought I could kill Steiner first and avoid Climhazzard since it sounded like an HP threshold trigger, but nope, she just does it after a few turns regardless. Sap + multiple HP 1 attacks is disgusting, and the only medica I have for IX is Eiko's Flames of Rebirth, which has absolutely garbage healing.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Man this CM is brutalizing me even with Cid's BSB. I thought I could kill Steiner first and avoid Climhazzard since it sounded like an HP threshold trigger, but nope, she just does it after a few turns regardless. Sap + multiple HP 1 attacks is disgusting, and the only medica I have for IX is Eiko's Flames of Rebirth, which has absolutely garbage healing.

I found that outside of climhazzard bullshit, most of the damage was really manageable. You could probably get away subbing out Curaja for Renewing Cure to clear the saps.

(Alternately, Memento of Prayer; Steiner's sap inflicting attack isn't on an hp threshold, but Beatrix's one hp climhazzard is. You could kill Steiner, have Kuja or Garnet or Beatrix use Memento of Prayer to clear saps, then kill Beatrix.)

Similarly, you can manage Beatrix's HP once Steiner dies to try to control the flow of the fight; she casts the first climhazzard at 80% HP. Then at 60% HP she does an AE - Stock Break. Then at 40% she does both in sequence.

Thing is, once you've triggered any of those thresholds, she's locked in and you can skip subsequent thresholds. So the trick is to eat the first climhazzard, stop damage, heal up, then whittle her as close to 60 as you feel safe getting, then unload all of your soul breaks in an attempt to blow straight through her remaining forced actions. Ideally she dies before the third action in that Stock Break, Climhazzard, Stock Break cycle.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 17, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

CaptainPsyko posted:

I found that outside of climhazzard bullshit, most of the damage was really manageable. You could probably get away subbing out Curaja for Renewing Cure to clear the saps.

(Alternately, Memento of Prayer; Steiner's sap inflicting attack isn't on an hp threshold, but Beatrix's one hp climhazzard is. You could kill Steiner, have Kuja or Garnet or Beatrix use Memento of Prayer to clear saps, then kill Beatrix.)

She used Climhazzard on me without me attacking her at all :/

Then if I try to target her I get ridiculous AoE spam, like Ultimate Climhazzard directly into Seiken Shock or something outrageous. With no wall it is extremely painful. I'll try Renewing Cure though, that sounds handy.

Also how are you supposed to use Cid's BSB commands here? Just spam command 1 on a single target, or are you guys using command 2 to hit them both? Or is command 2 once followed by command 1 spam the best way to go, since it lowers resistance and gives you a buff? Do you have both casts active at once, or do you use them one at a time? It feels like it would run out if I did it that way but I'm not sure.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 17, 2017

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Then if I try to target her I get ridiculous AoE spam, like Ultimate Climhazzard directly into Seiken Shock or something outrageous. With no wall it is extremely painful. I'll try Renewing Cure though, that sounds handy.

Also how are you supposed to use Cid's BSB commands here? Just spam command 1 on a single target, or are you guys using command 2 to hit them both? Or is command 2 once followed by command 1 spam the best way to go, since it lowers resistance and gives you a buff? Do you have both casts active at once, or do you use them one at a time? It feels like it would run out if I did it that way but I'm not sure.

Ultimate Climhazzard is Steiner, not Beatrix.

In this case, you should just spam command 1; they're weak to dark, so with even a halfway good stat stick, you should be getting 40k damage per cast single target. And since it has the powerchain effect, you're making GBS threads out damage and can melt through HP thresholds very fast. Kill Steiner, then Beatrix. Feel free to bring two healers and a support.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

I did it with no medica at all (it was harrowing though), had Garnet and Vivi both using Raines BSB. Command 2 once followed by command 1 spam on Steiner, then Beatrix. Bring Memento of Prayer and use it if Steiner saps your party to counteract it, then try to just power through on strength of instantcast command 1 after you inevitably get 1HPed. Protectga is a must, and having someone draw fire/gaia cross the single target attacks helps a lot.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I would probably still pull on the lucky draw even if it was SSB-only because I need more VIII and IX stuff and it's a half-priced shot at Platinum Sword, but I do expect the BSBs to be in the pool.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

CaptainPsyko posted:

Ultimate Climhazzard is Steiner, not Beatrix.

In this case, you should just spam command 1; they're weak to dark, so with even a halfway good stat stick, you should be getting 40k damage per cast single target. And since it has the powerchain effect, you're making GBS threads out damage and can melt through HP thresholds very fast. Kill Steiner, then Beatrix. Feel free to bring two healers and a support.

It's not quite that strong. I had Kuja open the fight with his Endark SB, followed by summoning the Raines BSB and spamming command 1 to the tune of ~8500 per hit, with good synergy stat-sticks on him. So no, you can't just spam command 1 for 40k damage unless you have faithgas or some seriously ridiculous magic power.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I was doing 40k on both Kuja and Garnet with just RW Raines. I do have plenty of mage sticks for 9, though.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Turns out I was able to master the V CM without grand cross/sea lord's broadside/sheepsong, but the X CM absolutely requires one of: Paine's SSB, Tidus' BSB/OSB, Yuna's curaga SSB, Rikku's BSB.

I don't have any of those relics (my X synergy is good but my SBs are mostly late 2015) and until I see some madman clear without one of those things I'll continue to claim that its impossible for the average non whale

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Schwartzcough posted:

It's not quite that strong. I had Kuja open the fight with his Endark SB, followed by summoning the Raines BSB and spamming command 1 to the tune of ~8500 per hit, with good synergy stat-sticks on him. So no, you can't just spam command 1 for 40k damage unless you have faithgas or some seriously ridiculous magic power.

I literally was doing exactly that though, with just a Memento Mori and a stat stick - and a "healer" stat stick at that!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nihilarian posted:

I would probably take that exclusion. There aren't many 5* Summoner OSBs at all but there's a lot of extremely outdated Unique SB stuff. Also caster BSBs are just better than caster OSBs

Edit: Oh this is not summoner poo poo. The Tidus OSB is really good :v:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I would probably take that exclusion. There aren't many 5* Summoner OSBs at all but there's a lot of extremely outdated Unique SB stuff. Also caster BSBs are just better than caster OSBs

Edit: Oh this is not summoner poo poo. The Tidus OSB is really good :v:

Tidus OSB wouldn't have been in this one anyway. 8/9/14/Tactics.

So Squall, Rinoa, Zidane. That's... a list of OSB's I'd probably not use outside of specific elemental or synergy matchups. (Unlike Tidus, which is useful everywhere.)

Basically, leaving OSB's off this lucky draw really doesn't fundamentally affect it's usefulness at all. If you were going to pull on it, you probably still should.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
A half draw with Y'shtola's BSB sounds like a good thing to do a pull on to me.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

So when is Eiko going to get a record dive? I would have thought they'd add hers with this event but noooooooooooooooooo

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Schwartzcough posted:

I'm assuming you did this but just forgot to write it, but for anyone unfamiliar with CR BSB Command 2 has a Mag+ Res- buff.

So say your Kuja or other IX caster has about 400 Mag with decent RS gear.

Memento Mori is a self-Faith (ID #601) plus self-Doom, so that's a x1.3 bump for Mag to 520.

Raines RW is a Burst, so that's a x1.2 (stacks with all IDs) bump on Mag to 624

It also has a group Mag+ Def+ (#620), so that's a x1.3 bump on Mag to 811~.

Command 2 is a self Mag+ Res- (#622), so that's a x1.3 bump on Mag to 1055~.

That is more or less the value where Mag hits a bit of a soft cap. It should certainly be enough to hit for 4x9999 vs Dark-weak enemies like Beatrix and Steiner, unless something went awry in terms of action ordering.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

kalensc posted:

I'm assuming you did this but just forgot to write it, but for anyone unfamiliar with CR BSB Command 2 has a Mag+ Res- buff.

So say your Kuja or other IX caster has about 400 Mag with decent RS gear.

Memento Mori is a self-Faith (ID #601) plus self-Doom, so that's a x1.3 bump for Mag to 520.

Raines RW is a Burst, so that's a x1.2 (stacks with all IDs) bump on Mag to 624

It also has a group Mag+ Def+ (#620), so that's a x1.3 bump on Mag to 811~.

Command 2 is a self Mag+ Res- (#622), so that's a x1.3 bump on Mag to 1055~.

That is more or less the value where Mag hits a bit of a soft cap. It should certainly be enough to hit for 4x9999 vs Dark-weak enemies like Beatrix and Steiner, unless something went awry in terms of action ordering.

I believe it hits the buff soft-cap before that, but I can't confirm that personally. The numberwang has become far less important to me in the long run as "does it make things blow up real good", and the important thing is: Yes. Yes, it does. Hit Command 2 once, and then chain Command 1 until things are dead.

UHD posted:

So when is Eiko going to get a record dive? I would have thought they'd add hers with this event but noooooooooooooooooo

With the second BRA*BRA event that gives us the 5* Bard motes and the new Bard skills. The event that would have come with the last orbfest (what with the roulette and all) except it's a collab and we never get collabs.

In other words, Eiko got Edwarded, and hard.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

CaptainPsyko posted:

Tidus OSB wouldn't have been in this one anyway. 8/9/14/Tactics.

So Squall, Rinoa, Zidane. That's... a list of OSB's I'd probably not use outside of specific elemental or synergy matchups. (Unlike Tidus, which is useful everywhere.)

Basically, leaving OSB's off this lucky draw really doesn't fundamentally affect it's usefulness at all. If you were going to pull on it, you probably still should.

Zidane's OSB is definitely a little better than the average physical elemental+NE OSB. Comparing it to Tidus, they both have enspells on strong SBs to buff their OSBs, but Wind is a little more common as a vulnerability and easier to build a team around in general than Water. Tidus's OSB has the advantage of being slightly stronger by default and having a native 6* sword with a water damage boost, Zidane has the advantage of being a fair bit stronger on an all-female team and wind-enhancing gear being *way* more common than water-enhancing gear. I would argue that Zidane's access to a wider variety of strong skills pushes him ahead of Tidus here; you can run a lot of useful skills on Zidane in addition to Lifesiphon whereas Tidus's skill selection is kinda crap in terms of complimenting his combo and the party, but both have access to Powerchain to instant cast their SBs and that's probably what you'd use the majority of the time anyway.

I for one am heartbroken Zidane's OSB is not on the banner, especially since my pull on IX-1 got me Zidane's Vest, I have Fang's BSB for Imperil Wind, and it just so happens my A-Team roster has plenty of female characters to build a party out of. I could have done some serious poo poo with Meo Twister. :(

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 17, 2017

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

With the second BRA*BRA event that gives us the 5* Bard motes and the new Bard skills. The event that would have come with the last orbfest (what with the roulette and all) except it's a collab and we never get collabs.

In other words, Eiko got Edwarded, and hard.

And she's my only healer BSB :saddowns:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Heaven Spacey posted:

I for one am heartbroken Zidane's OSB is not on the banner, especially since my pull on IX-1 got me Zidane's Vest, I have Fang's BSB for Imperil Wind, and it just so happens my A-Team roster has plenty of female characters to build a party out of. I could have done some serious poo poo with Meo Twister. :(

On the flip side, even if OSB's were included, Zidanes was still only a low probability maybe compared to the other two.

I'll reiterate, if you were going to pull on the lucky draw you should still probably pull on the lucky draw.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Zidane's fight is really loving dumb. Getting most of your party slowed constantly and then blown the gently caress up by AOE when he's not hitting someone with Mug is dumb and the person who made this fight hates fun.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
FYI, for those working on the Torment dungeon: I've just set up Tidus as my RW with his BSB at 9qBd. Somewhere around 700 attack with +40% water damage with synergy. (I could also put up the OSB instead if people would prefer that? I suspect BSB pulls ahead if you can put some basically competent attackers in to spam command 1 with enwater for a few rounds.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Zidane is best taken slow. Have someone with draw fire or knights cross to keep the debuffs off everyone else. Haste to cancel his slow, dispel to cancel his buffs, protectga, power breakdown and full break neuter him even without a wall. Even better, you'll enter the bad half of the fight with limit breaks ready to go because you've been inching his health along.

I ended up using the arc instant heal + physical blink as my rw for "oh poo poo" coverage at the end, and it worked fabulously. I think one mage ended up doing 75% of my damage in the end, so focusing on managing zidanes bullshit and mostly ignoring damage output worked wonders.

• Locked thread