Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I love how the dude who gets salty about miyamoto fanfiction has his own pitchford fanfiction ready to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?

FZeroRacer posted:

Nintendo had still signed the contract and willingly got themselves into that position, only to get cold feet and bail out. The rest of your argument is pure speculation and not supported at all by the events that we know of, since a lot of it is still unknown. What Nintendo did legally in that situation is very similar to what Gearbox did to Sega: they both weaseled their way out of a contractual obligation and screwed over the other party.

Unlike Nintendo however, Gearbox has made zero good games.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

FZeroRacer posted:

Nintendo had still signed the contract and willingly got themselves into that position, only to get cold feet and bail out. The rest of your argument is pure speculation and not supported at all by the events that we know of, since a lot of it is still unknown. What Nintendo did legally in that situation is very similar to what Gearbox did to Sega: they both weaseled their way out of a contractual obligation and screwed over the other party.

We know that Sony would have retained a higher percentage of the profits from software development. We know that development was reliant on chips developed by Ken Kutaragi that relied on expensive development tools and which Sony had full control over the licensing of. This was such a blatant power grab it's hard to understand how it could be perceived as anything else, and even then, there was very little incentive for Nintendo to continue it. Partnering with Philips was certainly a cutthroat way of undermining Sony's willingness to continue their partnership, but it's also not literal theft.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cog05 posted:

Unlike Nintendo however, Gearbox has made zero good games.

Close but they made Opposing Force and Blue Shift which are good.

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?

s.i.r.e. posted:

Close but they made Opposing Force and Blue Shift which are good.

You're right, Gearbox should go back to making expansion packs for Half-Life.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TFRazorsaw posted:

We know that Sony would have retained a higher percentage of the profits from software development. We know that development was reliant on chips developed by Ken Kutaragi that relied on expensive development tools and which Sony had full control over the licensing of. This was such a blatant power grab it's hard to understand how it could be perceived as anything else, and even then, there was very little incentive for Nintendo to continue it. Partnering with Philips was certainly a cutthroat way of undermining Sony's willingness to continue their partnership, but it's also not literal theft.

i'll make sure to use this defense next time i weasel out of signed contracts

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

i'll make sure to use this defense next time i weasel out of signed contracts

In what way was this what occurred? Everything I've read indicates that Sony and Nintendo continued to work on development of the Play Station (in a token capacity) until both parties decided to part ways.

The Philips partnership was a dick move (in that it matched a bigger dick move), but none of the accounts I've read lists it as a breach of contract. I think there's a significant difference between doing that out in the open, and literally lying to your business partners, consumers, and then working to hide it after the fact.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 17, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cog05 posted:

You're right, Gearbox should go back to making expansion packs for Half-Life.

They should have just stopped after doing so.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

And yanno, nothing I've said here is meant to imply I think what happened with the Play Station was morally right or even the smart thing to do (it's a toss up), but it's also a symptom of the industry that continues to this day. But there's gotta be a line in what's considered acceptable, and what Gearbox has gotten up to is one of those things that definitely crosses it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jimmy Hats posted:

I can't remember if someone has claimed nitnendo is doomed within the last 20 pages

Nintendo's been my favorite doomed company, twenty years running.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Detective No. 27 posted:

it like nintendo is doomed since the kids who played the nes had their balls dropped.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nintendo's not doomed. I'm doomed.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Has anyone seen anything that lists the dimensions of the Switch? Specifically while in its dock.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
When you think about it we're all kind of doomed in our own special ways

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Detective No. 27 posted:

You say that like they haven't gone from dominating the industry to nearly irrelevant in the last 20 years.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Nintendo was doomed the second they printed their first hanafuda card in 1889

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Doom comes to everything and everyone.

Heres hoping for an enhanced Doom64 port

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

El Burbo posted:

You know, I've always been curious about how one could sell hanafuda as a living or a business model in 1889. Like, did you just sell them out of a shop, or was it a commission based service? What made the Yakuza seek out Nintendo Koppai's stuff, and what other hanafuda makers existed back then?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Another nail in the coffin made out of nothing but nails. A coffin the size of a small country.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Here's hoping for a MOOD HOUSE port

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvbbrolCuNk

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The year is 2098. The last IGN editor is on his death bed. His lips parched and cracked, eyes glazed as his body is shutting down. He turns to his nurse, the last person on earth who cares for him. His last words are his death rattle, body going limp and still as they fall as a whisper from his mouth

"Nintendo won't survive the current generation this time..."

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

El Burbo posted:

Using mulberry bark for the cards is such a stupid gimmick. They've gone and hosed themselves again.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
is skyrim actually $60 USD on the switch?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

who knows? maybe?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Unsurprisingly, the Nintendo thread devolves into a screaming mass of hyperbole.

I think the Switch it going to be pretty fun, Zelda will be a blast and I expect to play around 10 good games.
Any more than that is too much because, you know, I do more than play video games all day.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Unsurprisingly, the Nintendo thread devolves into a screaming mass of hyperbole.

I think the Switch it going to be pretty fun, Zelda will be a blast and I expect to play around 10 good games.
Any more than that is too much because, you know, I do more than play video games all day.

I can't imagine I'll be done with Breath of the Wild by the time even Splatoon comes out, let alone by the time ARMS and Mario Kart are released.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ohtsam posted:

Doom comes to everything and everyone.

Heres hoping for an enhanced Doom64 port

How long before we get Doom running on a Joycon? HD Rumble is used to navigate the environment.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

sad!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Bomberman will unironically save Nintendo. Nec devolves into a mess of tears and feces as it remembers the PC FX

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I can't imagine I'll be done with Breath of the Wild by the time even Splatoon comes out, let alone by the time ARMS and Mario Kart are released.

BUT LAUNCH TITLES!
Only things missing for me is a good Horror Title in the works and some half passive rpgs i can podcast too.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Who the hell is this Jimquisition youtube personality and why should anyone watch him?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Junkie Disease posted:

Who the hell is this Jimquisition youtube personality and why should anyone watch him?

es got a britush uccent now, dunehee?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Junkie Disease posted:

Cause it's good having a pro-consumer demagogue who regularly points out the poo poo games companies get up to.

Junkie Disease posted:

BUT LAUNCH TITLES!
Only things missing for me is a good Horror Title in the works and some half passive rpgs i can podcast too.

I see a lot of potential for HD rumble and horror titles.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Infinitum posted:

es got a britush uccent now, dunehee?

he uh actually lives in mississippi

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Junkie Disease posted:

BUT LAUNCH TITLES!

Seriously. If you are not ultra hyped for BoTW, why even get a Switch? It seriously looks like the best Nintendo product in a long time.

I'm not a giant fan of Mario Kart anymore since there were too many generations with cheap AI. However I will probably pick it up if they drop extra controller prices.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Junkie Disease posted:

some weird nazi dude, if you like normalizing nazis check him out i guess

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

a.lo posted:

he uh actually lives in mississippi

Oh so he's actually just a massive ponce then, go it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I think the most important question currently unanswered is, what does the R stand for in Super Bomberman R?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

You say that like they haven't gone from dominating the industry to nearly irrelevant in the last 20 years.

Literally everyone I know, of all ages, can identify Nintendo characters, because they are consistently in the mainstream, as part of fantastic games that toxic environments have pushed into the category of "baby games for babies". People will buy and have bought PS4s for a single game: Bloodborne. I personally know people who bought XB1s for Halo 5. Many of those same people would not buy a Wii U for any of their high-quality exclusives. Bayonetta fans are still clamoring for a PS4 release of the second game. Despite some of the best platformers in gaming history, the freshest new online shooter IP in ages, and one of the most popular party fighters ever, people will not buy Wii U systems. Why? Because Nintendo "marketed to children and alienated the real hardcore gamer."

Looking around the internet, people are livid that Nintendo didn't build a handheld gaming PC that will play all games ever made. Every game Nintendo has made, regardless of positives or negatives, is somehow terrible. Star Fox Zero was somehow simultaneously too much and not enough like Star Fox 64 and used a control scheme that was both new and interesting while also being unintuitive and game-ruining. There's no new F-Zero! No, even if Fast Racing Neo provides everything that would satisfy that need, it doesn't have New Mute City U, so I'm out.

I'm not some gigantic Nintendo fanboy (outside of Splatoon), but the overwhelming negativity about everything Nintendo does is just exhausting. People have been complaining about this company as far back as the early 90s on BBS boards, and I don't understand why. They're not a perfect company, not by a long shot, but they're the last interesting hardware and software developers. They're willing to try new things. They're willing to fail and learn, while still taking big risks at times. So much of what they do has personality and charm, and the Switch just seems so unique and fun, but as far as I can tell, it might as well be as powerful as a Galaxy S2 that will require a $15/mo subscription fee to play one Virtual Boy game for 30 minutes, because while some fanboys will defend a box of garbage if it has a red hat on it, others will foresee Nintendo's impending downfall no matter what and doomsay whatever they make into self-fulfilled prophecies.

Nice meltdown, Takoluka!

• Locked thread