Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Earwicker posted:

disclaimer: i am not responsible for any decisions made by or within the Indanapolis Motor Speedway nor for any hotdog sales therein

Do you chat about cheap hot snacks over the airwaves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Thursday Next posted:

lol are you really so stupid / sheltered that you think saying "I work at Google (or Apple or Microsoft)" is going to make everyone think you have insider knowledge about everything that goes on there

what a random thing to be mad about

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
it would be weird if the dude decided that i we personally the reason something bad happened to them re: play store approval or whatever, and i wouldn't put it past him at this point

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
also i'm totally going to make sure you see nothing but ads for bad kickstarters now you jerk!!!!!

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
start a thread about your job

it'll be difficult for you to become as revered as ron, but you seem to be cut from the same cloth. you've got what it takes, I believe in you

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
ow

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Zereth posted:

Kickstarter is littered with the graves of game studios who were sure they could pull this off, and turned out to be wrong.

Hell, the graves of game studios who were sure they could pull it off, and who could credibly argue that.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'm seeing a lot of lame new posts here and no awesome French Revolution effort posts. Time to storm the Bastille!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I'm seeing a lot of lame new posts here and no awesome French Revolution effort posts. Time to storm the Bastille!

but i am le tired

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Well, it's the weekend right now, so why not.

The Revolution and what happened afterwards is kind of a big deal in Western political science--hell, our modern terminology of right-wing vs. left-wing comes from it--and so over the years a lot of people with very serious axes to grind have taken it on. I'm going to hew very closely to the two "orthodox" views you might get in an undergraduate course, both because they're what I'm most familiar with and because they happen to involve a lot of hilarious incompetence on everyone's behalf.

1. bad_with_money.jpeg.txt

At the time of the Revolution, the King of France is Louis XVI. His family, the Bourbons, has been in charge of France for a long time (as you might guess by the fact that he's literally the sixteenth of his name). For most of that time, the cornerstone of Bourbon policy has been hostility towards the ruling house of Spain, the Habsburgs. The Habsburgs-controlled states of Spain and the Holy Roman Empire have been the biggest powers in Continental Europe for ages, and happen to surround France on both sides.

This policy goes back at least to the not-actually-30-years-long Thirty Years' War of the 1600s, and the Catholic Cardinal Richelieu (yeah, the bad guy from the Three Musketeers) deciding to throw in with the various mostly-Protestant forces challenging the Catholic HRE. In the years since, it's resulted in a series of extremely messy and unproductive wars between France and various Habsburg states such as Spain and Austria. These wars, combined with a series of equally messy civil wars, meant that the Bourbons were pretty much always broke.

The habit of building places like these probably didn't help, either.

By the mid 1700s, however, this policy has pretty much succeeded in reordering Europe. The Spanish Habsburgs, who are somehow even worse at money than the Bourbons (though coasting on a tidal wave of American silver) are mostly out of the picture. Plus, the rising power of Prussia under Frederick the Great--formally part of the Holy Roman Empire--has provided a convenient counterweight to traditional Austrian power. In the 1740s, the French and Prussians under Frederick the Great team up to stand in the way of Maria Theresa of Austria's ascension to the Habsburg throne, and in the process deal the deathblow to any pretense of Austria's leadership in Europe. Everything is going great.

Naturally, it was time to throw that all overboard, ally with the Austrian Habsburgs, and get their rear end kicked by the rest of Europe. I'm being a little unfair here--the last bit presumably wasn't part of the original plan--but when Louis XV responded to a softening of relations between Britain and Prussia by throwing in with the Austrians, he mostly ended up dragging France into Austria's problems with no benefit.

In 1754, the Austrians attempt to get some of their own back and invade Silesia, which they had lost to the Prussians back in the 1740s. The British pile in on the Prussian side, the French pile in on the Austrian side, and the Seven Years' War ensues. Those of us who attended high school in the United States know its American theatre as the French and Indian Wars. Long story short, the French ended up spending about eleventymillion livres (their currency of the time) on their navy and army, got pretty much the entire fleet sunk by the British, and pretty much the entire army trashed by the Prussians. Plus, they ended up losing Canada and their trans-Mississippi holdings in the bargain.

Louis XV is not thrilled by this and--just when the throne's finances are already imploding--embarks on an elaborate and expensive military rebuilding program in an attempt to challenge the British and reverse his losses. Prussian-style discipline, uniforms, and drill were instituted as far as he could get away with. He finally gives the nod to the era's greatest artillerist, Jean-Baptiste Gribeauval, to build the finest artillery corps in Europe. There was a ridiculous shipbuilding program centered around a new, massive shipyard in Cherbourg. And he ordered the establishment of twelve military schools, predecessors to the legendary École Saint-Cyr.

One at Brienne near modern Troyes was host to a hick seminary dropout from Corsica, with okay-ish grades but no social life and few prospects. We'll come back to Napoleoné Buonaparte a bit later.

And hell, it pays off! Louis XV kicks the bucket in 1774, but his son is in good position to take advantage of British problems in their American territories. In 1776 Louis XVI begins funneling covert military aid to rebels in Afghanistan America; in 1778 after humiliating British defeats on land he openly intervenes. Since in the meantime nobody else was particularly thrilled with Britain primacy either, Prussia decide to stay out of it and the Spanish and Dutch straight up throw in with the French. In the absence of any danger in Europe, the French are able to ship over that brand new fleet and reinvigorated army and deal the British a real bloody eye.

On 3 September 1782, the Treaty of Paris was signed, affirming the United States' independence and granting it significant territorial concessions at the cost of the British. Champagne and smiles all around.

On 4 September 1782, Louis XVI's ministers woke up from a massive hangover and realize that they just spent another billion livre, financed at a ruinous cost, on a war from which they gained nothing. French attempts to roll back British influence in India came to nothing. The entire brand new, expensive, French fleet lasted just long enough to win the war for the Americans before sailing off to take a shot at Jamaica and getting embarrassingly sunk (again). And they didn't even come close to taking back Canada.

They now have a basically unprecedented financial crisis on their hands. Incoming revenues are barely enough to pay interest on their loans, let alone actually let the kingdom function. They could raise taxes, but the French taxation system is completely buried in archaic exceptions and exemptions nobody actually understands. It will take real political skill, finesse, and financial acumen to pull the country from the brink.

Next time: they do not demonstrate political skill, finesse, or financial acumen

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Good stuff but gotta nitpick: Louis XVI was actually Louis XV's grandson.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
You can also listen to a history of the French Revolution through a cool podcast here. The guy also did the American Revolution and English Civil War before that, and the Haitian Revolution after. He's in the middle of covering Simón Bolívar right now.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
28 December 2016 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

31 December 2016 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

3 January 2017 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

5 January 2017 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

6 January 2017 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

7 January 2017 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

8 January 2017 - $1002 USD raised by 23 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal :siren:

9 January 2017 - $1002 USD raised by 23 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

10 January 2017 - $1052 USD raised by 24 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal :siren:

11 January 2017 - $1052 USD raised by 24 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

12 January 2017 - $1082 USD raised by 25 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal :siren:

13 January 2017 - $1082 USD raised by 25 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

14 January 2017 - $1082 USD raised by 25 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

Total increase in amount raised between 28 December 2016 to 14 January 2017 - $280

Total increase in number of backers between 28 December 2016 to 14 January 2017 - 3

No. of days left - 15

Shortfall between target and amount raised so far - $238,918.00

Average amount of new funds per day required to meet target - $15,927.87

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Reiterpallasch posted:

Well, it's the weekend right now, so why not.
Cool post, thanks!

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
is this stickied so we can see it fail in real time?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Romes128 posted:

is this stickied so we can see it fail in real time?

it's stickied so we don't miss out on those juicy screenies they promised

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Reiterpallasch posted:

(Sick-rear end history post)

AWW YEAH BOYEEEE

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Reiterpallasch posted:

1. bad_with_money.jpeg.txt

In all honesty though, tactical RPGs are fun and a ragtag band of misfits against a backdrop of the french revolution is an interesting setting. There's just, well, not much more to say about the game other than nitpicking fencing-related stuff until we see a working prototype.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jan 15, 2017

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

GunnerJ posted:

Good stuff but gotta nitpick: Louis XVI was actually Louis XV's grandson.

also you don't have to be from the same dynasty to increment the ordinal so him being the XVI doesn't actually tell you anything about the longevity of the bourbons :jeanbaptistecolbert:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

8 January 2017 - $1002 USD raised by 23 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal :siren:

10 January 2017 - $1052 USD raised by 24 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal :siren:

12 January 2017 - $1082 USD raised by 25 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal :siren:

15 January 2017 - $1082 USD raised by 25 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

Total increase in amount raised between 28 December 2016 to 15 January 2017 - $280

Total increase in number of backers between 28 December 2016 to 15 January 2017 - 3

No. of days left - 14

Average amount of new funds per day required to meet target - $17,065.57

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
The kick starter posts are the main reason I check this thread daily, thank you JosephWongKS.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

weak wrists big dick posted:

The kick starter posts are the main reason I check this thread daily, thank you JosephWongKS.

:same:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

weak wrists big dick posted:

Please excuse the short memories of my fellow SA posters, hyperdevbox. You've already helpfully explained here that:

quote:

You must be mistaken We have NO Kickstarter campaign.

It's an Indiegogo campaign.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 16, 2017

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
IndieNoGo

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
For the record, OP, I do like French Revolution-type anime like Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and your pitch is interesting if done well but you simply don't have enough to crowd fund this yet. Like other posters have said, your best bet is to take the suggestions that posters who are game devs have made and work on your project for a few months more before trying a renewed crowd funding campaign. If that's not like, feasible for your company you just have to accept that it's not the right time to make Thermidor and wait a while longer.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
And at least halve the target.

Not that he can read this.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

And at least halve the target.

Not that he can read this.

Oh please you know that there's no way he actually blocked anyone. He's too desperate for attention.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

The Crusher posted:

Ron's name appears for
the first time a year before
The French Revolution broke out.

Many devs who returned from work,
had no skills, l i t t l e d o n a t i o n s,
and even less loyalty to the forums.

Many became posters and
shills plotting indie gogo's
For 8 months straight.

At that time shitposting and
juicy screenies were commonplace in HyperDevBox.
Many Mo mo's and
Sticky'd threads came out of there.
And Something Awful was no exception either.

=========================
Chapter 1: THE MEAGER GAME
=========================

qft.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Slowbeef and Diabetus could get this project some serious exposure. Ron should email Retsupurae.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

15 January 2017 - $1082 USD raised by 25 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

16 January 2017 - $1082 USD raised by 25 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

Total increase in amount raised between 28 December 2016 to 16 January 2017 - $280

Total increase in number of backers between 28 December 2016 to 16 January 2017 - 3

No. of days left - 13

Average amount of new funds per day required to meet target - $18,378.31

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
As the OP seems to be absent again, this is now the Fructidor: Juicy Fruities OFFICIAL RELEASE THREAD!

You can play the game here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tiyod8lil0bm81a/Fructidor.zip?dl=0

The game has 25 waves, after which you will learn a SECRET PASSWORD! The first 3 people to PM me said password will get any game of their choice below €10 on steam.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
A guy made an entire game, complete with real world prizes, before these devs finished their single bar shot.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

As the OP seems to be absent again, this is now the Fructidor: Juicy Fruities OFFICIAL RELEASE THREAD!

You can play the game here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tiyod8lil0bm81a/Fructidor.zip?dl=0

The game has 25 waves, after which you will learn a SECRET PASSWORD! The first 3 people to PM me said password will get any game of their choice below €10 on steam.

Geez, this game is hard. The meter seems to go down less if you guillotine the guys jumping on the conveyor belt :stare:

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Much like Thermidor, Fructidor isn't working for me. I'm getting message failed to open descriptor file .../.../.../Fruidor.upproject' :smith:

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

Made it to wave 7, could not figure how to hurl cakes fast enough. 5/5, best game I've played today. :france:

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

so uh can i count this

im on wave 25 and this guy wont respond to fruits or bombs, he just stands there

still a better game than thermidor

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Fructidor is pretty stressful since it seems to be very all or nothing. The moment you fall behind on cakes once and people get onto your conveyor belt once, you'll be behind on cakes for the next wave and it's a very fast spiral of death with very little opportunity to catch up.

Still had fun with it for the 15 waves I did though.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
yeah i only got to the end by hitting a string of red fruits speeding up the conveyor belt combined with great guillotine to just poo poo out cakes nonstop; actually started to lag a bit with how many fruit, cakes, and dudes were on the field

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can the Mo-Mos please change the name of this thread to Fructidor - Tactical Guillotine Simulator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

JosephWongKS posted:

Can the Mo-Mos please change the name of this thread to Fructidor - Tactical Guillotine Simulator?

Hahahahaah, get rekt hdb.

• Locked thread