Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How many boxes do you have? Maybe it's worth trying an extra one? Can she see where the box is at night? I've thrown a nightlight in the bathroom corner where my cats have their boxes because even cats need a little light to see with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

m.hache posted:

Awesome.

I was scoping that one out already. Picking it up.

Seconding that this is a good cordless vac. We use it for litter and other small dry messes around the apartment.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

The poop-covering instinct in cats is very weird. It's like they feel compelled to make the motion but don't actually give a gently caress whether or not it's working.

Our cat takes a poo poo, covers it and the, goes to her food and tries to cover that as well. Cats are weird.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Quiggs never buried his poo poo, which was made even worse by the fact that it was nasty, stinky loving diarrhea. I mean, the whole house smelled like poo poo for a few minutes after he went. It was so bad he couldn't even poo poo with his head in the litterbox, he always stood at the edge and shat. A few times, I even caught him turning around and licking it.

Toddy, on the other hand, will poo poo, bury, scratch the walls of the litterbox, and then go wash his paws in his water dish. Nasty fucker.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

My Sunny will meticulously cover up pee, followed by knocking her paws against the litterbox cover and shaking out any other litter on the mat in front of the box.

But after she takes a poo poo? immediately bolts out of the box and runs to the other side of the apartment.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

D34THROW posted:

Quiggs never buried his poo poo, which was made even worse by the fact that it was nasty, stinky loving diarrhea. I mean, the whole house smelled like poo poo for a few minutes after he went. It was so bad he couldn't even poo poo with his head in the litterbox, he always stood at the edge and shat. A few times, I even caught him turning around and licking it.

Toddy, on the other hand, will poo poo, bury, scratch the walls of the litterbox, and then go wash his paws in his water dish. Nasty fucker.

Hey, don't you wash your hands when you go to the toilet? Maybe you should give him another dish to wash in so he doesn't have to do it in his drinking water.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

The Lobster posted:

How do I get her to hunt, etc.? We have a bimonthly subscription to Kitnip Box and they love the toys and treats therein so we have a pretty good selection of different toys to try.

Just play with her! Drag string toys or laser pointer or whatever she's into in the area where she's skittish and she should come around. Basically it makes the place HER place, where she can get all focused and maximum CAT.

Feliway wall plug-ins are also a really good tool for nervous kitties if you haven't looked into it.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
My cat likes to take a big poo poo and then, instead of burying it, he has a fuckin' litter party and throws it everywhere. I have no clue.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

mistaya posted:

Just play with her! Drag string toys or laser pointer or whatever she's into in the area where she's skittish and she should come around. Basically it makes the place HER place, where she can get all focused and maximum CAT.

Feliway wall plug-ins are also a really good tool for nervous kitties if you haven't looked into it.

Gotta drag out that laser pointer. :) Thanks!

We use the Feliway, but drat are the refills expensive (says the woman who just dropped over $500 on the Switch and launch games).

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Super Librarian posted:

My Sunny will meticulously cover up pee, followed by knocking her paws against the litterbox cover and shaking out any other litter on the mat in front of the box.

But after she takes a poo poo? immediately bolts out of the box and runs to the other side of the apartment.

They have a term for that. Poo demons.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Wolfgang will always attempt to bury his poo poo, but end up constructing a great mount of cat litter with the poo poo perched on top. And kick a lot of it out of the (covered) box.

Cats.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
We inherited two cats from my grandma, both declawed, spayed, older, and indoor-only. The older of the two passed away last year very suddenly. The other seems to be getting along okay, but she really wants attention when we're home from work and otherwise spends all day alone. Since she's older (about 13), I presume she doesn't mind a whole lot (she seems happy and isn't acting up), but we had been thinking about adopting another close to the same age. Should we find a shelter with a declawed cat up for adoption? I don't know how big a deal it is for clawed/declawed cats to play together.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Twobirds posted:

We inherited two cats from my grandma, both declawed, spayed, older, and indoor-only. The older of the two passed away last year very suddenly. The other seems to be getting along okay, but she really wants attention when we're home from work and otherwise spends all day alone. Since she's older (about 13), I presume she doesn't mind a whole lot (she seems happy and isn't acting up), but we had been thinking about adopting another close to the same age. Should we find a shelter with a declawed cat up for adoption? I don't know how big a deal it is for clawed/declawed cats to play together.

Shouldn't make any difference. They know to keep their claws in when playing anyway. Cats are generally adaptable, so get whatever sort of new cat you like (or chooses you, as the case may be). Old cat will cope. There's no way to ascertain compatibility beforehand, so don't worry about it.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Twobirds posted:

Shelters will love you for being willing to adopt an older cat and while there's no guarantee that they'll get along, you're already avoiding the biggest mistake you could make by looking for one about the same age rather than a younger cat who's going to pester the old cat to play all the time.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
You know how cats have this sad yowl/meow when they miss someone or another cat? Well one of my cats keeps doing it when she goes into the living room. She's been doing it for a while now. I think she's dumb and doesn't realize I'm in the other room because when I call her she comes in and seems normal.

Maybe I should get a life-size cardboard cutout of myself and put it in the living room.

I don't know if this is asking for advice or ranting but it does get annoying on those days where she does it every 30 minutes :catstare:

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Thanks! We will see how we do.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Thin Privilege posted:

You know how cats have this sad yowl/meow when they miss someone or another cat? Well one of my cats keeps doing it when she goes into the living room. She's been doing it for a while now. I think she's dumb and doesn't realize I'm in the other room because when I call her she comes in and seems normal.

Maybe I should get a life-size cardboard cutout of myself and put it in the living room.

I don't know if this is asking for advice or ranting but it does get annoying on those days where she does it every 30 minutes :catstare:

One of mine does this. You're supposed to get up and go see her when she does this.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Gorgar posted:

One of mine does this. You're supposed to get up and go see her when she does this.

I will try this. Maybe she wants me to see that my shoes are in a different position from the day before.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My cat does that when we're in the same room and I'm not looking at him.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Thin Privilege posted:

I will try this. Maybe she wants me to see that my shoes are in a different position from the day before.

Probably is concerned you may have forgotten what a fine cat you have in her, and that she should be rewarded with petting.

Mine will sometimes make a fuss if I've been sitting still for a while and then make a sound or get up, like he forgot I was here, or that he could get pets. Picking him up tends to quiet him down.

americong
May 29, 2013

Speaking of picking up...

One of mine will object strenuously to being picked up in general, but if I hold him under his back with his paws up he just curls up and stares at me.

We don't deserve cats

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Damnit, cat! Stop pissing on my stuff! :(

Finally dawned on me what that acrid smell in my bedroom was. An old pair of tracky dacks with reeking damp spots.

Welp, that's bedroom privileges revoked for another month or two...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How many litterboxes do you have?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

One.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Was it fairly filthy at the time? She might be protesting for more / cleaner toilets.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

It's not out of the question. He's done it before when it really was in a bad state, but I've been trying to be more diligent lately...

What's the idea behind more boxes? I'm not really sure where I could put a second one except for next to the first one. My place is pretty small

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just so that there's a clean enough places for them to go. Placement isnt a problem. I have three next to each other.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
this is the first time we made a video of our cat stevie as she is plotting to get dat cookie.... but then my evil gf says no!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MYepf_anE8

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Synthbuttrange posted:

Just so that there's a clean enough places for them to go. Placement isnt a problem. I have three next to each other.

The rule of thumb is generally <number of cats> + 1

My 2 old mogs decided they hated covered trays now and crapped on the carpet. Remove the lids (which they'd been ok with for umpteen years) and they use the trays again. cats.txt

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cats are dumb jerks!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I have two cats, but I don't have room for three litterboxes. Two maybe, but not three unless I stacked them like some vile bunkbed

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If you only have one litterbox for two cats you need to be scooping that box at least twice a day. I'd definitely got to two boxes if you can.

I look at it this way: If you gave me a choice between taking a piss inside of a digusting over-full portapotty or pissing outside, I'm going to pick outside approximately all of the time. I don't expect my cat to choose differently.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Does anyone have some tips on teaching cats to use a cat door?

I'm about a week in at the moment and have been trying the following:

- taped the door open for a few days (all good -- they will use it like this)
- demonstrate nudging it open
- nudge the cats though from both sides
- hold it open slightly and let them push it open the rest of the way and walk though
- offer of treats (weirdly neither of them gives a poo poo about treats, one of them used to go crazy for smoked salmon but no longer cares for it)

Right now they'll sit and look angrily at the door but refuse to go though on their own.

Help :(

Edit: I should add, the cat door leads from inside to a completely netted in/cat proofed courtyard, they are not outside cats.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Have you put their dinner on the other side? Since the 'taping it open' trick works, how about gradually lowering it from a fully open state?

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

Have you put their dinner on the other side?

Yes, they look at the door in an irritated way and meow until I give up in an hour or so :/ should I wait longer?

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

yoloer420 posted:

Yes, they look at the door in an irritated way and meow until I give up in an hour or so :/ should I wait longer?

Cats are obstinate little jerks, so yes, if you can stand the whining. Don't starve them obviously, but an hour is nothing to a cat who doesn't want to do something. Why take five seconds to help themselves when they could wait two hours and you'll do it for them?

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

yoloer420 posted:

- hold it open slightly and let them push it open the rest of the way and walk though
- offer of treats (weirdly neither of them gives a poo poo about treats, one of them used to go crazy for smoked salmon but no longer cares for it)

Right now they'll sit and look angrily at the door but refuse to go though on their own.

Edit: I should add, the cat door leads from inside to a completely netted in/cat proofed courtyard, they are not outside cats.
Our cat used a cat door at her previous owner's place for five years, and we had her for a couple of months without one. Then when we installed a door, it still took her 3-4 weeks before she started using it by herself, and only by doing a strange Superman pose, pushing the door with one of the front paws. Cats be cats.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Thanks for the input, I will persevere and be less eager to assist the cats in getting in/out.

I've got a pretty good cardboard box collection in the garage awaiting disposal. I'll try to lure them with a loungeroom full of boxes.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

yoloer420 posted:

We have a little cat door for our porch. We showed it to all our cats, shoved them through it a few times so they knew how it worked, and left them alone about it. They all use it now, but first have to check that we're not watching and then dart through as though it's a secret entrance only they know about.

Don't sweat it. They'll use it when they feel like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Oh my goodness - it's finally happened, after about 6 months Jackie and Sardine are not only friendly with each other, not only like to hang out and play with each other... But I officially have CATPILES in my house!!! :swoon: I really never imagined this could even be a POSSIBILITY when Jackie was being so mean to Sardine and chasing her, and I thought that when they started getting along except with Jackie still occasionally hissing and batting at Sardine that that was how things would stay. But Jackie does not do ANY of those things anymore, except some playful batting with her paws on occasion. Only time I've seen her hiss in the last month was when Sardine overstepped her boundaries by trying to eat first before Jackie (apparently Jackie eats first).

But still! It's so exciting in a silly way. I'm just really pleased that everything has worked out so well. Here is the pic I just took after I woke up and went downstairs this morning:

Not a great pic, I know (still dark out early in the morning >_>) but I wanted to capture the first time I went downstairs and found these two ACTUALLY sleeping in contact with one another in the same space for posterity. Part of the issue is that they both loved sleeping on that chair *alone* before and apparently they finally worked it out :3: