Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Dangit Highwang, when you do gigantic walk-arounds like that you're trading fights (and loot) for hunger procs.

Which do you hate more!? Collector/Shamblers (and their loot) or starving!?

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Casey at the Bat is referenced in Mother 2/Earthbound.

One of the bats you can get in the game (1 in 255 chance from an enemy that only appears three or so times in the game EVER and doesn't respawn) gives you a bat that is pretty much a guaranteed crit... but also only hits 1 in 4 times. It's called the Casey Bat.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Shei-kun posted:

Casey at the Bat is referenced in Mother 2/Earthbound.

One of the bats you can get in the game (1 in 255 chance from an enemy that only appears three or so times in the game EVER and doesn't respawn) gives you a bat that is pretty much a guaranteed crit... but also only hits 1 in 4 times. It's called the Casey Bat.

Casey Bat is what you get from King Belch in the Deep Darkness, just before the shy things. You're thinking of the Gutsy Bat that you get from farming Bionic Krakens.

I think I farmed the Sword of Kings and Jeff's weapon before I got bored of it all. 1/128 weapons are dumb.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

JT Jag posted:

It's a pretty common story, yeah, to the point of being parodied/given homage in a lot of TV shows and such

Like a Disney short from 1946:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erfSed2MUsA

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

E: wrong thread.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 11, 2017

Desroubins
Jul 1, 2016

Highwang posted:

Finale: The highest modified damage attack in the game at +50%, tied with the Highwayman's Pointblank Shot. Also possesses a maddening 15% crit rate. Still sucks nuts however since it reduces your subsequent damage by 40%, your dodge by a whopping -30, and your accuracy by -10. The damage mod also doesn't mean much since the Jester's base damage is low to begin with. Luckily you're also moved all the way to the back row to spam music, but honestly that debuff is too much to even consider using.

The damage mod is actually not +50%, but +150%! Makes it pretty fun to use to oneshot back row casters.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Just finished marathoning all the episodes so far, good job as always, Highwang. Sign me up as a Highwayman/Bounty Hunter/Abomination.

I'll probably not be buying this game, it looks neat but I'm just too much of an obsessive hoarder to have fun playing it.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Highwang posted:

Casey Bat is what you get from King Belch in the Deep Darkness, just before the shy things. You're thinking of the Gutsy Bat that you get from farming Bionic Krakens.

I think I farmed the Sword of Kings and Jeff's weapon before I got bored of it all. 1/128 weapons are dumb.
You are correct! I was thinking of the Gutsy Bat for the drop rate. The 1/4 hit chance is definitely the Casey Bat, though. I remember it being fairly powerful, too.

And, due to the hit chance, completely unreliable!

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Iron Chitlin doesn't know about Casey at the bat? Here you go friend, Disney did a cartoon about it.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 42: An ominous star looms

Special guest JadeStar joins us today and teams up with Chitlin to wreak havoc on this LP!

But gently caress THAT, we got hot new info on Darkest Dungeon's next DLC/Updates!

tl;dr
-Radiant Mode scheduled for early February
-Radiant mode update will bring champion mode exclusive enemies
-Radiant aims to reduce the game time to about 40hrs, which is roughly a 30% reduction in time imo.
-Crimson Court slated for April
-More QoL updates planned beyond the PS4 content

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Oh cool, crossover between my two favorite currently running LP's. :allears:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

This is such a fun video so far. So catty!

I disagree with the other two btw Highwang, like 70% of the game is setting up your party before venturing forth, you gotta show that off.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Just leaving this here for Jade Star...

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/weald

Make sure you click the little red speaker icon next to the phonetic symbols. Learning is fun!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

And leaving THIS here for Jade Star
https://youtu.be/DRXGyZro3Qw?t=17m58s

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Jade Star laying down the facts in the vid. Truly Guava has taught him well.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
This was beautiful, you gotta keep this up. With TWO co-commentators, they can probably consistently call you out on your silly decisions.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I also unequip all and re-equip for each mission. Partially to make me actually think about the trinkets. Keeping stuff on inactive characters is weird. :P

I guess you could put dud trinkets on people you are sending to the tavern, in the hopes that held stuff has priority for being lost or gambled away.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Given the eldritch madness afflicting the hamlet, who's to say what the correct pronunciation of weald is?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Highwang, you do you man, don't listen to the naysayers.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Wow, that was loving savage.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New update - Episode 43: Let's get Exploded

Today we test drive one of the new PS4 trinkets, the Ethereal Cross. It also presents an opportunity to show off an alternate Occultist build if you ever need a backup front-linesman, though I'm torn on its effectiveness. For what it does, Hands from Below is a very mediocre stun that also reduces your torch level, and it really doesn't feel like the tradeoff is worth it when other characters have both stronger and wider range stuns. The other skills can be used from rank 3 as well, so despite this being a backup build for the occultist I don't really think I can consider it worth using just based on how weak that stun is. The cauldron accessory certainly makes it way better, but in the end the Houndmaster and the PD are more reliable at stunning.

The Ethereal Cross however, pretty solid Cove accessory imo. It gives everyone access to an anti-eldritch perk, which can be used in almost every dungeon, however it also gives a good bleed resist buff that can be used for many other circumstances. The -10% max HP is not really a debuff either since at most it will be 2-4 less HP on a person. I wouldn't call it a mainstay, but I can think of several places where it can help out a lot.

Another accessory we barely see since its a reward is the Fortifying Garlic. Its okay I guess, you get a free +20 resist to bleed, blight and disease with no tradeoffs whatsoever. I just don't see myself using it much. A good PD will just straight-up remove them, Holy Water doesn't waste an accessory slot, and Antiquarians offer the same amount in a camping skill. Also, since Jadestar mentioned it, Cleansing Crystal is way better by comparison if you ever find it. Definitely merchant fodder if I ever get one.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Highwang, now you need to get in on co-commentating Jadestar's XCOM 2 LP so we can get maximum LP crossover going.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

ousire posted:

Highwang, now you need to get in on co-commentating Jadestar's XCOM 2 LP so we can get maximum LP crossover going.

It's up to him

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Comprehensive LP*

*hotkeys not included

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Fat Samurai has Stress Eater. Perfect. Not sure if there's a tool tip for T for torch anywhere though? The torch shows you all the shift and ctrl clicking, but hotkeys don't get a lot of pop-ups.

Still support Highwang's de-equipping, though I don't do it in XCOM2. (Mostly because eh on weapon mods because I don't play Legendary, partially because of LW defaulting everyone to shotguns for some reason?)

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Tylana posted:

Fat Samurai has Stress Eater. Perfect. Not sure if there's a tool tip for T for torch anywhere though? The torch shows you all the shift and ctrl clicking, but hotkeys don't get a lot of pop-ups.

There's a help tab with a bunch of hotkeys, but i'm so used to just pointing and clicking that I just up and forgot.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I am still confused by the speed rating in this game. I've had characters go second to enemies with lower speed ratings.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Turn order is random. Speed just means you get better chance to go first. Dont know the exact numbers but i imagine it goes something like everyone rolls a dice and then add their speed stat to the roll and whoever rolls highest goes first. In cases of ambushes and suprise it goes a bit diffrence of course.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Init feels like D&D init at low levels. Where you might be anything from -2 to +9, but the dice is a d20.

The pointing and clicking in this game feels pretty natural which I think is why so many people would like a iPad port (and/or 3ds)

Elbo
Oct 9, 2012
So what is the argument against unequipping trinkets every mission? I feel like it could only make sense super late game when you have multiples of the rare trinkets that you always want to bring. The existence of the unequip all button makes it feel like it was intended for you to just redo trinkets every time as part of the preparation.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Elbo posted:

So what is the argument against unequipping trinkets every mission? I feel like it could only make sense super late game when you have multiples of the rare trinkets that you always want to bring. The existence of the unequip all button makes it feel like it was intended for you to just redo trinkets every time as part of the preparation.

The argument against is if you repeatedly forget to re-equip your teams. Not that I'd know.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Argument against it is that it requires a few extra clicks from your mouse.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Best strategy is to equip junk trinkets on anyone gambling. And yeah, if going over accessories is part of your preparation ritual to the point that it's muscle memory, there's no downside to a global unequip.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Never thought I'd say this since I absolutely love both his XCOM and XCOM2 playthroughs, but I really don't like Jade Stars commentary in the last videos. Instead of actually providing funny or insightful commentary, he and Chitlin just get into this pissing contest on who can complain and insult the most. And half the time the complaining is even baseless, which makes it even more annoying.

I don't mind the kind of jabs that Chitlin usually provides in this LP, or the ones Guava does in the XCOM ones, but here it just takes all the attention of the video, making it really hard to listen to.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The degree of negativity is a bit uncomfortable for me because I really can't tell most of the time whether it's actually just joking and everyone is in on the joke. Like it just seems pointlessly and excessively mean.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 17, 2017

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

As for speed, I read somewhere that initiative order is 1d8 plus your speed stat, but I can't remember where so I might be wrong.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
I feel like I learned less than usual from the last two videos. Is what highwang did good or bad? Because it seemed to work ok despite the sour bitching.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
In midgame dungeons as long as you have all the basics cowered pretty much anything works. You only really have to think about what to take in midgame boss dungeons and endgame dungeons. Its kind of weird they take offence to everything when the dungeon is so easy anyway.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Skippy Granola posted:

I feel like I learned less than usual from the last two videos. Is what highwang did good or bad? Because it seemed to work ok despite the sour bitching.

Good things Highwang did: made good use of coral to remove bad perks that would otherwise be super expensive, not run out of food, not run out of shovels, kept stress low.

Bad things Highwang did: leave behind treasure with an empty slot, not use a bandage on a bleeding party member when inventory was already full of bandages and he got one out of a curio.

Debatable things: Stress was low and health was high, could have filled out that last inventory slot with a goodie to cap off the run. Two supports for a mid-game dungeon seems weird but it worked. ??????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Skippy Granola posted:

Highwang is bad but incredibly lucky :v:

• Locked thread