Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

All these weird people actually trading in Catan, a game with absolutely no checks on trading that ensures anyone offering a trade probably stands to gain more points than you out of agreeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

canyoneer posted:

I have wood for sheep
Jesus people, do you even read the rules in the OP?! Hope you like your probation!

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Group of 5 next to me at the barcade about to play Betrayal at house on the Hill. Only one person's played it and is attempting to teach. RIP

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
gently caress, I should've offered to play The Resistance or something while I had the chance

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

The Narrator posted:

Group of 5 next to me at the barcade about to play Betrayal at house on the Hill. Only one person's played it and is attempting to teach. RIP

It's not a hard game

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Gort posted:

It's not a hard game

You want Tanto Cuore for that

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Does anyone want this brick?

Does anyone want this brick?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Settlers of Catan stopped me playing board games for about 15 years. A friend of mine asked me to play it when I was in college and I hated it so much I refused to go anymore to his house when he asked us over to play games and I didn't start getting back into gaming until 2 years ago.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I keep going to board game meetups where everyone wants to play nothing but Resistance/Coup/Secret Hitler/etc., but all of them suck poo poo at lying and it just turns into 2 dudes quarterbacking and yelling over everyone while the quiet/shy folks just sit there and are miserable.

What do, thread. What do.

Also, I'd like to pick up a game or two that are maybe just a tad deeper than Carcassonne rule-wise, but still quick to teach since it'll be a lot of first plays with various strangers. Hidden role/bluffing games need not apply. Play time 45 minutes or less and/or 5-6 players a plus.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Toshimo posted:

I keep going to board game meetups where everyone wants to play nothing but Resistance/Coup/Secret Hitler/etc., but all of them suck poo poo at lying and it just turns into 2 dudes quarterbacking and yelling over everyone while the quiet/shy folks just sit there and are miserable.

How many people? Maybe get them on something with less QBing like Space Alert (if 4 or 5) or Captain Sonar (if 6 or 8)?

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 17, 2017

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

Also, I'd like to pick up a game or two that are maybe just a tad deeper than Carcassonne rule-wise, but still quick to teach since it'll be a lot of first plays with various strangers. Hidden role/bluffing games need not apply. Play time 45 minutes or less and/or 5-6 players a plus.

1) Maybe talk to the quiet/shy folks about meeting up separately and playing not-those-games, and

2) Sushi Go Party, Ticket to Ride (it's not deeper than Carcassonne but it can be played quick), 7 Wonders...?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Toshimo posted:

Good luck finding a game that is deeper than Carcassonne and plays with six in 45 minutes. Port Royal would work for five, though.

I suppose Dodekka isn't awful at 6. Love Letter Premium also.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Toshimo posted:

My more serious board game friends and I have been trying to get our female friends who play nothing but Carcassonne/Werewolf/Resistance to get into deeper games so I'd love to know the secret too. We have tried to ramp up the difficulty like we did for my other friend and get them through TTR Europe, Stone Age, etc into later Caverna and all, but we're having a hard time getting "the girls" past the basic party games.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
At 5, maybe Chinatown or Chicago Express, although those are probably closer to 60 with new players. Bohnanza I guess? I wouldn't consider it deeper than Carc though, just different.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Should I buy the Orleans expansion?

The thing is, I don't love Orleans. I'll play it and enjoy it, but it's been mostly with two players and it felt a little too solitaire and lacking in variety. The expansion has been off my radar but someone mentioned a few days ago that it has a two player variant. Does that change the feel of the game enough to justify buying an expansion for a game that I am not all that crazy about?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Medium Style posted:

Should I buy the Orleans expansion?

The thing is, I don't love Orleans. I'll play it and enjoy it, but it's been mostly with two players and it felt a little too solitaire and lacking in variety. The expansion has been off my radar but someone mentioned a few days ago that it has a two player variant. Does that change the feel of the game enough to justify buying an expansion for a game that I am not all that crazy about?

The co-op variant in Invasion was actually a ton of fun and significantly different than the base game the one time I played it. I'm not sure how much variability it will have (certainly some, as you start with a different character with unique requirements each time), but it surprisingly shook up the base game for me. I didn't expect to like it but it's really well done.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad posted:

The build up to the end game is rigid, the final score I can't predict from anyone but myself. For the longest time I focused completely on raiding but couldn't break 80. Recently switched to the long game of getting the most out of livestock but then I never manage to snag an exploration or emigration so I'm still stuck in the 80s. I can't evaluate my best games from the scorecard alone because I don't remember if I got a clutch occupation that led me there. My best game came from a combination of occupations that let me split my pillage value while at the same time taking a -1 penalty but I could also grab a green good. Combined with the knarr upgrade to greens I was able to fill up the home board and Iceland handily. Can't really replicate this, though.

Been playing three player mostly where you're trying to work around the other players. Nobody is paying attention to anyone else so the winner ends up being the one who isn't fighting the others. I try to arrange seating order so I'm last just so I can plan my turn around what everyone else isn't doing but since you're playing the long game the final turn can be a frustrating "guess what this guy is doing" but still playing to my strengths.

I want to see a detailed 100+ point run of the game. I find it impossible to evaluate things. There isn't a great system of feedback, it all feels arbitrary in the end with multiple players.

I bought it for a friend but if I owned it I would totally sell it. I don't see any redemption for the game at this point.

After we're done I'll give it one more shot with a Ticket to Ride style occupation pool but I don't think my frustration with the game in general will be changed by having a little more determination in what occupations I draw.

This is an interesting bit of feed back! I have been hearing this sort of thing around, that Feast for Odin has some difficulties as a multiplayer game. I wonder, has anyone tried it solo, and if so is it more consistent? Maybe the game is just so deep that no one has figured out the proper meta strategy yet :shrug:

I am slightly glad that I am being forced to wait on Odin now, and get The Colonists instead.

canyoneer posted:

I have wood for sheep

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

golden bubble posted:

Speaking of Catan, what do people think of Catan: Seafarers? There are so many changes in that expansion, it almost looks like a new game that uses the same parts as base Catan.

Seafarers and cities and knights were origaninally a part of the main game, that the publisher decided to release as expansions, as to not overwhelm players. they fit the game very organically and should both be included if you want to have a good catan experience.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Rutibex posted:

This is an interesting bit of feed back! I have been hearing this sort of thing around, that Feast for Odin has some difficulties as a multiplayer game. I wonder, has anyone tried it solo, and if so is it more consistent? Maybe the game is just so deep that no one has figured out the proper meta strategy yet :shrug:

I am slightly glad that I am being forced to wait on Odin now, and get The Colonists instead.

It is extremely consistent solo, imo; honestly I haven't had any issues multiplayer, either, but only have played a few games either way. :shrug:

Still, I want to try the colonists.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Toshimo posted:

Steampunk Rally

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Chill la Chill posted:

My more serious board game friends and I have been trying to get our female friends who play nothing but Carcassonne/Werewolf/Resistance to get into deeper games so I'd love to know the secret too. We have tried to ramp up the difficulty like we did for my other friend and get them through TTR Europe, Stone Age, etc into later Caverna and all, but we're having a hard time getting "the girls" past the basic party games.

Talk to them and see what they'd be interested in. It's entirely possible that they're sticking to basic party games because they're there to socialize first and play board games second. I have friends (men and women) who are the same way and it's nearly impossible to get them to play something deeper. The most important thing is to not be judgemental about it when asking and to be prepared for the answer that they are just there to socialize and don't want to mess with a complicated ruleset.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

And if they want party games, you could add in some other party games that are kinda fun.

Pictomania springs to mind, obviously codenames, fake artist goes to NY, that sort of thing. Even Dixit.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

T-Bone posted:

The co-op variant in Invasion was actually a ton of fun and significantly different than the base game the one time I played it. I'm not sure how much variability it will have (certainly some, as you start with a different character with unique requirements each time), but it surprisingly shook up the base game for me. I didn't expect to like it but it's really well done.

We aren't really co-op fans. I'm more interested in the "duel" mode and how it plays compared to the regular game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dirk the Average posted:

Talk to them and see what they'd be interested in. It's entirely possible that they're sticking to basic party games because they're there to socialize first and play board games second. I have friends (men and women) who are the same way and it's nearly impossible to get them to play something deeper. The most important thing is to not be judgemental about it when asking and to be prepared for the answer that they are just there to socialize and don't want to mess with a complicated ruleset.

Yeah that's probably it. The end goal would be to try and get them to play more complicated games so we could have a full player count for 1830 (7 I think?) or get a full roster for campaign for north africa going. But I'm pretty sure it's just for socialization purposes. I mean, my board gaming friends and I almost have our thursday, friday, or sunday night board gaming sessions down to a schedule: dinner while watching sunny in Philly and socializing, then a really meaty game afterwards.

The girls have already been introduced to pretty much every sort of light party game already. Codenames, Dixit, Love Letter, A2A, and the regular sorts. I'm thinking if TTR doesn't work, chicago express might since it's actually very light on rules and the auction mechanic is a great socialization/party mechanic.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Maybe they just don't want to play train games? I'm okay with playing train games but they are a theme I am not huge on, and I'm a person who likes dry euros with grumpy old dudes on the cover. If these are people who like party games, going from party game to game about trains might be a bit much

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

angel opportunity posted:

Maybe they just don't want to play train games? I'm okay with playing train games but they are a theme I am not huge on, and I'm a person who likes dry euros with grumpy old dudes on the cover. If these are people who like party games, going from party game to game about trains might be a bit much

It's not the train theme specifically, it's just that those are the ones that are the lightest mechanics we have that aren't party games. I suggested Stone Age as an intro to worker placement but 2 of my friends said no way in hell were they trying that. Tokaido might actually work, but there's not much we have in light games territory that they haven't already played and can be used as a stepping stone to more advanced games. I'll see if they've played Dominion yet.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
"People who don't want to play train games have no place in civilized society." - Andrei Sakharov

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah that's probably it. The end goal would be to try and get them to play more complicated games so we could have a full player count for 1830 (7 I think?) or get a full roster for campaign for north africa going. But I'm pretty sure it's just for socialization purposes. I mean, my board gaming friends and I almost have our thursday, friday, or sunday night board gaming sessions down to a schedule: dinner while watching sunny in Philly and socializing, then a really meaty game afterwards.

The girls have already been introduced to pretty much every sort of light party game already. Codenames, Dixit, Love Letter, A2A, and the regular sorts. I'm thinking if TTR doesn't work, chicago express might since it's actually very light on rules and the auction mechanic is a great socialization/party mechanic.

It's entirely possible that they don't actually like board games. There's someone in my group whose favorite games played in the past year were something like Deception, Snake Oil, Tales of Arabian Nights, Harry Potter Deck Building game, and Sherlock in a year where everything from Eminent Domain to Food Chain Magnate was played. Even then, she doesn't even contribute to the social games. After a few jabs back and forth I asked her to define fun objectively, and she conceded that she did not like board games. She only really plays because everyone else plays, and her husband is weird about everyone doing the same activity. The other group is similar, but they top out at social deduction games like Secret Hitler or Avalon. There are a few people who really love that style of game, a few filler who will make it work, and everyone else is there because they want to hang out.

Where I'm going: you may be trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. If they do find something they really enjoy, great. If not, you have to make the choice of either forcing them to play things they may not like or conceding that board games aren't their jam.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Chill la Chill posted:

It's not the train theme specifically, it's just that those are the ones that are the lightest mechanics we have that aren't party games. I suggested Stone Age as an intro to worker placement but 2 of my friends said no way in hell were they trying that. Tokaido might actually work, but there's not much we have in light games territory that they haven't already played and can be used as a stepping stone to more advanced games. I'll see if they've played Dominion yet.

Stone Age is light as hell and even has dice-chucking, not sure how this could not appeal to people looking to add a tiny bit of crunch to their diet. Maybe the theme is too bland for them?

I know it's kind of played out as a suggestion but you might be able to get away with Viticulture because the theme is stronger and more relatable? Bit more complicated than Stone Age though. It kind of boils down to selling what you're interested in and hoping people are adventurous enough to give it a shot. But if all people want to play are party/social games with minimal mechanics you might be snookered. Can't imagine escalating to an 18xx with a group that has no interest in things remotely on that level. That said, Chicago Express is so simple, at least on the surface. Just thinking about it makes me want to play it again.

EDIT: or what Shadow posted above. I've definitely got friends that don't like board games as much as they do the social/card games like snake oil or secret hitler. You bring out heavier things and they go over like ants at a picnic and eventually you realise there's no point inflicting something that they just won't like. Knowing your audience is something I strongly suggest.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 17, 2017

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Toshimo posted:

Chill la Chill posted:

I strongly believe that Sushi Go Party is the next step for both of these groups. Easy to learn, quick to play, supports larger groups, and you can fine-tune the amount of player interaction and scoring combo complexity. And it's a clear barometer for whether people want to actually play strategic games or just stick with party activities.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

CaptainRightful posted:

I strongly believe that Sushi Go Party is the next step for both of these groups. Easy to learn, quick to play, supports larger groups, and you can fine-tune the amount of player interaction and scoring combo complexity. And it's a clear barometer for whether people want to actually play strategic games or just stick with party activities.

Yeah, we've got that, but they are looking for something with more strategy, less party. Lords of Waterdeep is probably about the right complexity, if it wasn't a bad game.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm all high on Fury of Dracula right now, but I feel as if it's a good and accessible game as a step up from the "party" game. It won't eliminate quarterbacking in and of itself, but what you can do is make the quarterbacking dick into Dracula, and so you can have the cathartic experience of cornering and stabbing the poo poo out of him.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Shadow225 posted:

I asked her to define fun objectively,

You have some pretty stiff criteria for your game group.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

CommonShore posted:

I'm all high on Fury of Dracula right now, but I feel as if it's a good and accessible game as a step up from the "party" game. It won't eliminate quarterbacking in and of itself, but what you can do is make the quarterbacking dick into Dracula, and so you can have the cathartic experience of cornering and stabbing the poo poo out of him.

Isn't that rather long, though?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Toshimo posted:

Isn't that rather long, though?

Our games have taken 90 to 120 mins? Idunno - is that too long?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

CommonShore posted:

Our games have taken 90 to 120 mins? Idunno - is that too long?

Yeah, we're definitely trying to keep it under an hour, if possible.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Toshimo posted:

Yeah, we're definitely trying to keep it under an hour, if possible.

Well I'll just get you to consider that if you're spending a few hours together for "game night", to play one good and rad game that everyone enjoys is more fun for everyone involved than playing 2-3 mediocre games.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Istanbul will probably be just above one hour the first time, with rules explanation, but should be comfortably underneath that every time after that. It's fairly light, and moves fast.
Maybe too simple, but Qwirkle might work. There is *some* strategy to it.
Isle of Sky is pretty drat good, and quick. And no I'm not recommending it because "it's like Carcassonne" (it's not, beyond the most superficial level).

EBag
May 18, 2006

Quantum is a lot of fun but only goes up to 4 players, takes about 45 minutes with 4. And yah Istanbul is good and the coffee expansion is as well.

Speaking of which has anyone tried Letters & Seals? Haven't seen much on it other than there's some mixed opinions, whereas Mocha & Baksheesh is almost universally positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

You have some pretty stiff criteria for your game group.

For context, she started slamming some stuff by saying it was either boring or not fun, whereas stuff she enjoyed was fun. That was the extent of her ability to evaluate games. I just wanted to get the conversation to a place where it could actually be fruitful, so I wanted to point out how trying to sway people away from things by using that criteria is meaningless. I would have accepted almost any other qualification, but I'm going to need something a little better than fun/boring if you're trying to convince me to play 5 player Tales of Arabian Nights or Legendary over like, Libertalia or anything that actually scales well with 5 people.