Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Or the most stable polygon, the triangle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

I presume polyculturism will carry itself with all the dignity, morality and stability of it's polyamourous namesake.

Who knows but hopefully we'll all get laid more

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
lol IWC conflating vegetarianism with an ideology which espouses hate and violence

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
As far as I'm concerned anybody who grew up during the drought-driven sprinkler bans isn't even really Australian. If your early childhood summers didn't consist of you loving around with a green plastic tube with holes in it hooked up to garden hose you can gently caress off out of my country.

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's an inevitability that people will pick up cultural cues from the people around them. If those people are hostile, it's less likely for someone to want to use those cues. Obligating people to change their culture is easily perceived as hostility, so it's counter-productive.

If I moved to an Islamic country and couldn't buy alcohol, or to Thailand and was advised to tone down my laconic aussie humour when discussing the king, the last thing I would do is interpret that as hostility.

quote:

There's no reason to prescribe that migrants need to behave a certain way, because they will, if given the chance.

In what context? Where? When? What are you talking about?

quote:

As for graciously accepted, pull the other one.

No country in all of Asia has taken in as many muslims in the past 40 years as Australia. They have access to public education, health-care, welfare and are equal before the law. The State funds translation services, public broadcasts in their language and a variety of anti-discrimination bodies they can turn to if they have a grievance.

The Leftist notion that we are a national wracked by the evil of islamophobia which must be forever atoned for simply will not fly anymore; 2016 happened.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

If I moved to an Islamic country and couldn't buy alcohol, or to Thailand and was advised to tone down my laconic aussie humour when discussing the king, the last thing I would do is interpret that as hostility.

And the cultural practices that you think migrants aren't currently performing correctly here are?

What about if you got yelled at or had racial abuse thrown at you when speaking in English in public?

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 17, 2017

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
what the gently caress is Aussie culture anyway? I come from a long line of pure white bred Aussie racists and I couldn't tell you the first loving thing about it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Arguing with IWC, how quaint.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

starkebn posted:

what the gently caress is Aussie culture anyway? I come from a long line of pure white bred Aussie racists and I couldn't tell you the first loving thing about it.

You just described what it is.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children.

:eyepop: jesus loving christ

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Australian culture: A bunch of dickheads being dickheads.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

starkebn posted:

what the gently caress is Aussie culture anyway?
Cultural cringe seems to be the key element.

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to

Recoome posted:

lol IWC conflating vegetarianism with an ideology which espouses hate and violence

Learn to speak english if you want to participate in this community, i've spat on Hazara grandmothers who were more intelligible than you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

You can book flights to Indonesia, Singapore, Turkey or Tunisia right now and see if anyone there tells a paying tourist to "tone it down". The truth is, people from those countries bend over backwards to cater to us westerners, but the moment they get the notion to improve their station in life, white people bring out the lictors and tell them to know their place (and its not their place to come to Australia).

No country in all of Asia has taken in as many muslims in the past 40 years as Australia. They have access to public education, health-care, welfare and are equal before the law. The State funds translation services, public broadcasts in their language and a variety of anti-discrimination bodies they can turn to if they have a grievance.

The Muslim population in Australia is somewhere between 1 and 3%, other Asian countries like Malaysia and Indonesia together take in, in a year, the amount of Muslims of various ethnicities we have given residency to in the last decade. And equality under the law is pale shelter if the protections aren't in-deed as well. This is why people counter-protest anti-Islam rallies: because they are enough of a factor to counter-balance the so-called protections you mentioned. Prejudiced fuckers are clearly not cowed by anti-discrimination bodies if they feel the need to go off their rocker at some lady wearing a scarf on the 4:28 to Pakenham.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

You know you've hit comedy gold when the response is "I CAN'T UNDERSTAND YOU, SPEAK ENGLISH"

:discourse:

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer

Learn to speak english if you want to participate in this community, i've spat on Hazara grandmothers who were more intelligible than you.
Too bad Australia doesn't have an official language so people here can speak whatever language they want.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

asio posted:

Multiculturalism is liberal (not the party) whitewashing and the rejection of which progressives and nazis can agree on. Polyculturalism is the cool new thing the activists are pushing where we get to keep all the exciting cultural differences in one country without killing eachother.

i tried to go poly once but my wife just hosed a lot of hot dudes and left me

do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°

Its really important to teach all this muslim grandmas how important spitting is culturally.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

do it on my face posted:

Its really important to teach all this muslim grandmas how important spitting is culturally.

I don't know if he can fit that much community in his parent's spare room.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Today there was a tradie driving around in Brisbane with the Schwarze Sonne on the side of his car.

I hope he realises what it actually means

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990
there's already a pretty standard path for integration

first gen get a series of lower paying jobs to make ends meet

second gen become property developers

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

SLASHER HAWKE posted:

there's already a pretty standard path for integration

first gen get a series of lower paying jobs to make ends meet

second gen become property developers

third gen leech off the money the second gen made, complains about new first gens not pulling their weight/taking their jobs

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

You Am I posted:

third gen leech off the money the second gen made, complains about new first gens not pulling their weight/taking their jobs

or get cushy government jobs (as opposed to non-cushy government jobs)

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

stop loving arguing with iwc you hacks

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jonah Galtberg posted:

stop loving arguing with iwc you hacks

They'll figure it out eventually.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3805580

Can you guys please take the shitposting to the Australian politics thread in C-SPAM

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3805580

Can you guys please take the shitposting to the Australian politics thread in C-SPAM

Just read the SAclopedia article. :ughh:

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Unaustralian drivel. Nobody is going to tell a true blue Aussie they can't buy a big cold beer and have that not taken as an act of belligerence. (I guess unless you're Mike Baird) We must protect citizens of Australia from this hostility wherever they are in the world.

I'm sure the US would be grateful if we finally create a pretense for military intervention in Iran. :australia::respek::911:

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Magog posted:

I'm sure the US would be grateful if we finally create a pretense for military intervention in Iran. :australia::respek::911:

What, did you miss it?

Trump Threatens Act Of War As Response To Rude Hand Gestures

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Frogfingers posted:

Just read the SAclopedia article. :ughh:

Which one?

There's a SAclopedia???

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I have rewarded your pathetic cry for posts in your thread by providing a lovely post from me. This does not constitute an ongoing commitment to post in your thread.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Recoome posted:

Which one?

There's a SAclopedia???

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2342

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-17/audit-alleges-offshore-detention-contracts-mismanaged/8188190?pfmredir=sm

ANAO has found Immigration and Border Protection spends money without tracking who authorises it or where it goes. DIBP doesn't keep sufficient records and Dutton blamed the Labor and Greens when questioned.

quote:

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection has been accused of mismanaging offshore detention centre contracts, with an independent audit alleging more than $1 billion was spent over the last four years without proper authorisation.

A report from Australian National Audit Office (ANAO) detailed "significant shortcomings" in the management of contracts for security and welfare services on Manus Island and Nauru.

It cited $2.3 billion in payments made between September 2012 and April 2016, which it stated were not authorised or recorded correctly.

"$1.1 billion was approved by DIBP officers who did not have the required authorisation and for the remaining $1.1 billion there was no departmental record of who authorised the payments," it stated.

The report further stated that contract variations totalling more than $1 billion were made without a documented assessment of value for money.

continued at source

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 17, 2017

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

This article about university students has really rustled my jimmies

quote:

"It's a reminder to students as they consider university offers now to think carefully about what the course is and what the university is and make sure it is a good fit for them for the future."

This is a horseshit comment from the minister involved here. These school leavers aren't old enough to buy a beer yet, let alone have a full grasp on what would be a good person/career/university fit. I lucked out with my choice, but I still had to take a break from university before coming back. I'd also think there's undue pressure to actually go to university, so there's that.

Lol at comparing graduation rate, so many different variables to consider

Recoome fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 17, 2017

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I spent maybe 8 years at University and am not really using anything I studied in my job.
I have a PhD in Chemistry.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

If Greg Hunt becomes Health Minister, is he going to introduce a policy of releasing airborne pathogens throughout Australia? You know, in keeping with his track record.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

New Pope :allears:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Hunt goes to health while Sinodinos gets Industry ahahaha

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

adamantium|wang posted:

Hunt goes to health while Sinodinos gets Industry ahahaha

AusPol - Beyond a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Darkest timeline or funniest timeline?

• Locked thread