Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
B, perhaps with a view of using the Mrrshan against the Klackons and then stabbing them in the back. You might not have a conqueror's instincts, nweismuller, but I damned well do :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
One day, I will be able to post a thing. And then you will Stop Worrying, And Learn To Love The Bug.

Honestly, bugfolks get the worst god-drat raps... I mean, a Thri-Kreen eats one elf, one, and it becomes this big frickin' thing...
Dark Sun Elves are assholes anyway.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
C. Is it too late to institute Hug-a-Bug Day?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
C. It's too early to pick sides, but not too early to profit.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

C. It's too early to pick sides, but not too early to profit.

This. Also, Hug-A-Bug Day WILL be instituted.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Crazycryodude posted:

This. Also, Hug-A-Bug Day WILL be instituted.

The hugging will continue until unification is achieved.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
A

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
OK, the Klackon avatar was generous, but I was getting sick of being portrayed by a Klackon. So I've gotten around to purchasing my own avatar. Perhaps this will head off future Hug A Bug Day jokes. :D

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh, honey. If anything you have just Streisand Effected yourself into a world of unending Hug-A-Bug jokes - that avatar was a vital part of SA history, and now that you've martyred it the memory will live on stronger than ever.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Ground Weapons, Bulra Last, Nay on rapid transport expansion. The third to enable the second. Our beef is with the Empire, not the Bulrathi. Ideally this means tearing down the Empire with Bulrathi troops.

Molecular Compression next, that sounds like fun.

Counterpiracy seems to be keeping us pretty busy, so it's not clear to me that the PInaka can be spared.

B on the new xenocivilizations. If we're already friendly with the Mrrshan and standoffish with the Klackon, there's no obvious reason to go back on what steps we've taken.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

C

What is that new avatar in reference to anyway?

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014
B. Because cats are loving adorable.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Teledahn posted:

Nweiss's newest baby is the game Stars in Shadow, an early access sci-fi 4X. The seahorse looking dudes are the Phidi, a race that's basically the Peaceful Traders trope turned up to 11. They have a resource on their homeworld called Opil Crystal that's unique in the universe and has interesting/useful properties (both aesthetic and functional) that make it incredibly valued. Thus, he who controls the Spice Opil controls the universe (or makes boatloads of money - same thing, really).

E: vvv Also, that vvv

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 17, 2017

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Teledahn posted:

That's Magnate Arabo of the Phidi Combine in Stars in Shadow, and the quote is a direct quote from Arabo in the 'vanity' screen where you can look at your own leader before initiating diplomacy. Other pearls of wisdom from Arabo:

'I am certain there was never a good war or a bad peace.'
'Surely there is no such thing as a bad deal.'
'Doing business without advertising is like winking at someone in the dark. You may know what you are doing, but no one else will.'

Lamia Domina
Apr 5, 2011
B. gently caress the filthy loving Klacks. Mammal solidarity.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Stormgear posted:

B. Because cats are loving adorable.

Vis-a-vis adorableness of cats, and bugs, I give you the first contact with each of the Mrrshan and Klackon.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I'd say "ally with the cats to conquer the bugs then backstab the cats" but that's not how you roll. :v: So I say C, do business with both equally.

But the question is how the populace is going to handle foreign relations if anybody tries some poo poo. Are they going to remember the Bulrathi, and call for the complete destruction of any nation that hurts us? Because I can see a "sure we'll be great pals but we do not give second chances anymore" policy coming about after what happened with the Bulrathi.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I'm not going to be running the Republic as treacherous and conquest-hungry, but I will be running it as... unforgiving of harm done to it. Maybe more minor issues can be forgiven, but anything that's a real threat is going to be hammered until it stops being a threat.

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014
Mother of god those are terrifying.

I'm pretty sure 'catbuddies' are the better option here than bugfriends. Why? Because have you seen Alien? That thing looks like it burst out of someone's chest.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Stormgear posted:

Mother of god those are terrifying.

I'm pretty sure 'catbuddies' are the better option here than bugfriends. Why? Because have you seen Alien? That thing looks like it burst out of someone's chest.

One of these species has attractive architecture, as well, and it's not the Klackons, I can tell you that.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
B

How are you gonna enslave the Klackon if you buddy up to them?!

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
C, for now. Would rather not commit just yet.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

nweismuller posted:

I'm not going to be running the Republic as treacherous and conquest-hungry, but I will be running it as... unforgiving of harm done to it. Maybe more minor issues can be forgiven, but anything that's a real threat is going to be hammered until it stops being a threat.

I am entirely in favour of this strategy. Do not poke the humans.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

nweismuller posted:

One of these species has attractive architecture, as well, and it's not the Klackons, I can tell you that.

I dunno... Mammals and their mammaries... Look at the sheen on that chitin, and how well groomed those mandibles are! These bugs grew faces to more easily interact with Not-Hive in a nonlethal manner, didn't you know that? Does nobody appreciate that effort?

(Realtalk: I am unsurprised by the Mrrshan design, but was, as I recall, somewhat amused to find the Klackons had been humanised somewhat. Somewhat. Go see their MoO1 , 2, and 3 forms to see what I mean)

EDIT: Apologies... 'Tracts of land' was too good to pass up. :P

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jan 17, 2017

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

JamieTheD posted:

I dunno... Mammals and their mammaries... Look at the sheen on that chitin, and how well groomed those mandibles are! These bugs grew faces to more easily interact with Not-Hive in a nonlethal manner, didn't you know that? Does nobody appreciate that effort?

(Realtalk: I am unsurprised by the Mrrshan design, but was, as I recall, somewhat amused to find the Klackons had been humanised somewhat. Somewhat. Go see their MoO1 , 2, and 3 forms to see what I mean)

I said 'architecture', not 'anatomy'. One has a beautiful cityscape with intricate design. One has rough-hewn caves that look like crap.

E: Heh, fair enough. Apology accepted.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 17, 2017

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

A. Because pyramids. Pretty, spiked, shiny stone peaks and pyramids.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
The Bulrathi Emperor thought we would fall to him in a single decapitating strike. To that end he authorized terror attacks on our civilian population and tried to burn our homeworld.

He does not get to die before he sees every last bit of his empire crumble before our onslaught.

Blockade Bulra. Isolate all its communications. Let the rest of his empire flounder without direct guidance. Let every two-bit sector commander individually decide to try to liberate their homeworld so we can defeat them in detail.

Only when we've conquered every other planet in his miserable empire do we land our first troops on Bulra Prime, led by one division of each of the armies that crushed his other worlds, and capture the Emperor alive. This murderer does not get a warrior's death.

Bulrah Last

(Edit: I have no idea if the AI actually gives additional weight to a "reclaim our homeworld" priority, but IMO it drat well should for all but the most emotionless of races)

kaosdrachen fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 17, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Losing research from a planet isn't actually too bad when you can just relocate people away from it, though I guess if it was closer to cap that'd be more of an issue.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
OK, I have eight votes for favoring the Mrrshan, six for trade with both, and one for favoring the Klackon. Between the votes favoring the Mrrshan, there are three for actively pushing for alliance and five to just maintain current relations. Given the fairly strong support for trade with both, we will formally exchange embassies with the Klackon and establish formal diplomatic relations, which will irritate the Mrrshan, but they'll get over it.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
More foreign policy news: explorers from the Federation of Psilon Quanta on the opposite side of the galaxy have been encountered; the Psilon are a physically-delicate species with very large brain volumes and impressive raw intelligence, governed by a series of local administrative units, 'quanta', who choose their administrators by whatever method the Quantum believes makes for the most efficient form of governance. The Controller who serves as the titular head of the Quanta as a whole is chosen by the Quanta administrators in assembly. Friendly trade relations were easily achieved.

On the other hand, just driftward of the Bulrathi Empire, the Darlok Administration and its ruling Cabal has just been discovered. The Cabal's representatives have been vague about their internal affairs, but their claims of universal internal support seem somewhat dubious to Human negotiators. It may require IIA efforts to gain more information.

Please discuss in legislature what the Republic's foreign policy towards the Darlok Administration should be, and whether or not formal alliance with the Federation of Psilon Quanta (which is very large and powerful, but directly opposite Human space in the galaxy) should be sought.

E: There have been two minor skirmishes fought with the Mrrshan, but both were cases where the Mrrshan did not actually fire any shots, just presented a show of force to make the John Paul Jones retreat from a system they had claimed- and given the lack of any formal non-aggression treaty, such a means of defense of their territorial integrity is arguably legitimate.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 17, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

nweismuller posted:

Please discuss in legislature what the Republic's foreign policy towards the Darlok Administration should be

Death by guillotine.
Barring that, massive counterespionage efforts, and whatever diplomacy is required to make them spy on us less. :v:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Trade and non-aggression with the Psilon Quanta. I'm wary of a full alliance with a polity we've not had much experience with yet.

Embed some espionage agents in the Darloks' sphere of influence, but make similar diplomatic overtures with the Cabal in the meantime.

Ignore the Mrrshan posturing. They're territorial, we already knew that. If they're this aggressive about uncolonized space, though, we're almost inevitably going to end up at war with them.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
For the record, the 'claimed system' in question isn't uncolonised space- it has two Mrrshan colonies but no border defenses yet. They really do have an interest in preventing intrusion there.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

nweismuller posted:

For the record, the 'claimed system' in question isn't uncolonised space- it has two Mrrshan colonies but no border defenses yet. They really do have an interest in preventing intrusion there.

Good to know! I was hoping it was already colonized so we aren't just dealing with super aggressive posturing. Just normal defensiveness, then.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

my dad posted:

Death by guillotine.
Barring that, massive counterespionage efforts, and whatever diplomacy is required to make them spy on us less. :v:

Why, you almost sound as if you're convinced of precisely what these mysterious Darloks are up to! :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

nweismuller posted:

Why, you almost sound as if you're convinced of precisely what these mysterious Darloks are up to! :v:

They're too mysterious. What if they're bears in disguise? :ninja:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

my dad posted:

Hm. I amend my previous vote: burn them all.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

my dad posted:

This reminds me of the classic Onion video: 'Ninja Parade Slips Unnoticed Through Town Once Again'. :ninja:

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
In the interests of 'getting on with it', I'll go with POOL IS CLOSED's plan for the moment vis-a-vis the Darlok. We can discuss more permanent arrangements in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Grrrrr, we are far too trusting of the enigmatic aliens that lie to our faces. I'm with Senator my dad, what if they're bears in suits?

E: "Never trust the alien; its false smile hides an unknowable mind..."

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 18, 2017

• Locked thread