Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

No way

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Seamless is owned by GrubHub, whose idiot CEO sent an email that heavily implied that all Trump voters should quit, for a company whose entire business model is to insert themselves as a 20% tax on restaurant delivery. They are one of the many reasons that it's near impossible for a small business restaurant to be profitable these days.

Absolutely the definition of acting woke but being incredibly harmful.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

jeeeez

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

devtesla posted:

(vice owns)

no

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

devtesla posted:

They are one of the many reasons that it's near impossible for a small business restaurant to be profitable these days.

How so?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rent is up, you're being squeezed by a dwindling number of suppliers, and with competition from fast casual places you can't raise your prices. Add on to that the fact that folks want to order food through apps, and apps charge 20% overages and do other things that gently caress with your placement and therefore your profits.

I'm overstating how much effect these apps have, rent is probably the biggest factor in so many Restaurants closing, but it isn't helping.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

devtesla posted:

Rent is up, you're being squeezed by a dwindling number of suppliers, and with competition from fast casual places you can't raise your prices. Add on to that the fact that folks want to order food through apps, and apps charge 20% overages and do other things that gently caress with your placement and therefore your profits.

I thought DoorDash took a flat fee? Where I've bothered to check, prices in the app are the same as in the restaurant, and I've never heard of DoorDash taking a percentage. (Some restaurants charge a premium over menu pricing, as a separate fee.)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea the apps are a lovely factor but in my experiences the biggest factors is poo poo like rent and suppliers. It doesn't change that it's absurd being all 'if you like trump you should quit' while being a weird parasitic 'disruption' app based service that's absolutely a factor in the gentrifying that you're making a hilarious joke about in your woke af ad.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Who the gently caress needs an app to get food delivered

You goddamn just loving- how goddamn lazy- loving lovely loving

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Grondoth posted:

Many restaurants around me only do delivery through DD or similar services, you can't call them or whatever.

Or are you arguing that getting food delivered at all is unconscionably lazy?

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Grondoth posted:

I've known other people, adults, who are somehow just goddamn petrified of using the phone and having to actually say words to other people, even just a simple "yes a large pizza please!" I don't understand it. :shrug:

Subjunctive posted:

Many restaurants around me only do delivery through DD or similar services, you can't call them or whatever.

Interesting. Here, most every place has phone and online, and some are just phone, but I can't think of any that are just online.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Or are you arguing that getting food delivered at all is unconscionably lazy?

What kind of sick hellhole do you live in

I'd be so goddamn pissed if I had to use a third party app to get my loving food

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Grondoth posted:

What kind of sick hellhole do you live in

I'd be so goddamn pissed if I had to use a third party app to get my loving food

A 6M-person city with lots of little restaurants that can't employ a delivery person?

You might have some anger issues.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

I thought DoorDash took a flat fee? Where I've bothered to check, prices in the app are the same as in the restaurant, and I've never heard of DoorDash taking a percentage. (Some restaurants charge a premium over menu pricing, as a separate fee.)

I believe that with DoorDash you're basically hiring an Uber to go pick up food for you, while GrubHub and Seamless are just ordering platforms.

butterbar
Dec 14, 2016
If I'm posting while Quick Draw McGraw is on probation report me for my permaban!

devtesla posted:

vox - let me explain you the problem!

slate - here's why the problem is not what you think!

vice - lets experience the problem... on weed!

(vice owns)

Vice was founded by an avowed white supremacist and historically could be called the birthplace of the alt-right

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

devtesla posted:

I believe that with DoorDash you're basically hiring an Uber to go pick up food for you, while GrubHub and Seamless are just ordering platforms.

Yes, that's my understanding too -- where's the 20% coming from? Unless you mean the default 15% tip to the delivery person, I don't see it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Yes, that's my understanding too -- where's the 20% coming from? Unless you mean the default 15% tip to the delivery person, I don't see it.

They take a cut of each transaction, it's not visible and it varies based on the restaurant (if it's higher up in the search rankings, they're paying a higher percentage). I was under the impression that it was 20%, it looks like it averages to something more like 13%. Still a lot.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

devtesla posted:

They take a cut of each transaction, it's not visible and it varies based on the restaurant (if it's higher up in the search rankings, they're paying a higher percentage). I was under the impression that it was 20%, it looks like it averages to something more like 13%. Still a lot.

Sorry, at some point I switched to talking about DoorDash (it's the one I use) and you're describing GrubHub. Thanks, that's interesting.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

butterbar posted:

Vice was founded by an avowed white supremacist and historically could be called the birthplace of the alt-right

Vox has done more harm to America than Gavin McInnes

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's weird to dig up a guy who got thrown out of Vice a decade ago to bash it, when there's so much more recent stuff to make fun of them for.

https://twitter.com/VICELAND/status/788473494937886720?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/dangolding/status/821738758479327232

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

this is painful to look at, in multiple ways

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Lol

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

devtesla posted:

Vox has done more harm to America than Gavin McInnes

vox is only read by the converted or people who hate them i.e. beltway smoothbrains and their cool leftist bullies

vice has cachet among millennials, is more widely read and far more dangerous

R. Guyovich has issued a correction as of 16:52 on Jan 18, 2017

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

jfc I keep reading this as HIV Prevention Molesters

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

poo poo like this is sadly funny because the hipsters and wokes who rant about gentrification are the ones causing it.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKSGdByaUIA

Also vox is the New Republic reborn in every bad way imaginable.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

R. Guyovich posted:

vox is only read by the converted or people who hate them i.e. beltway smoothbrains and their cool leftist bullies

vice has cachet among millennials, is more widely read and far more dangerous

What part of "Gavin McInnes was fired a decade ago" is hard to understand? Have you read it recently? It's an inoffensive lifestyle brand now lol.

I'd also argue that what powerful people read is way more important that random millennials, but I don't even need to argue that because Vox gets twice the traffic of Vice (unless that's changed since 2015 but I don't think so):

Yes, Vice has somehow convinced investors to spend more on them despite getting less traffic. They sell ads at a weirdly high prices for how much traffic they get, too. No, I have no idea how they do this.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure Vox and Buzzfeed don't have a cable channel, though.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

some great username choices in here

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

devtesla posted:

What part of "Gavin McInnes was fired a decade ago" is hard to understand? Have you read it recently? It's an inoffensive lifestyle brand now lol.

I'd also argue that what powerful people read is way more important that random millennials, but I don't even need to argue that because Vox gets twice the traffic of Vice (unless that's changed since 2015 but I don't think so):

Yes, Vice has somehow convinced investors to spend more on them despite getting less traffic. They sell ads at a weirdly high prices for how much traffic they get, too. No, I have no idea how they do this.

vice is still really loving bad

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

some great username choices in here

Yeah mods plz change my name to Lady STD KILLA

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Guy Goodbody posted:

Blue waffle apostle is better.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Guy Goodbody posted:

da Chlamydia CRUSHER.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dapper_Swindler posted:

poo poo like this is sadly funny because the hipsters and wokes who rant about gentrification are the ones causing it.

sonic_the_hedgehog_zizek_ethical_consumption.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Yinlock posted:

this is painful to look at, in multiple ways

i took that picture in new orleans, right next to the superdome on i-10

it was there for months and so so many people saw it