Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Xarbala posted:

As someone who got into the bobbinsverse pretty late, it's hard for me to keep a track of all these bobbinses.

Bobbins: 1998-2002. Primitive artwork and dated writing, but introduces the principle cast for Scary Go Round and both succeeding Bobbinses.

New Bobbins: 2013-2015. Starts off as a throwback to Old Bobbins by taking place in the late '90s, and then just focuses on the present-day hijinks of Bobbins-SGR rogues for a while.

Bobbins.Horse: 2016-now. This is an actual, non-abandoned Old Bobbins throwback. I'm kind of surprised it came back considering JA returned to Bad Machinery mid-cliffhanger.

Fun fact: Bobbins means "rubbish," and may actually be the only non-side comic JA has done that has a title that reflects the content of the comic itself (for Old Bobbins, at least) :v:

Leroy Dennui fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elektroboot
Nov 7, 2004

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

you should keep it secret forever dude

well, poo poo, apparently the mods agree with you. I sorta wish we could have kept that thread open for discussion at least

There's no way I'm gonna wipe the drive, the laptop itself is a piece of junk that's falling apart, I have no use for it. John said explicitly when selling it, "I will remove passwords and financial information but that is all", so it sure seems like they intended for someone to have all of the photos and stuff in addition to comics. But I won't be posting any of it publicly.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

elektroboot posted:

well, poo poo, apparently the mods agree with you. I sorta wish we could have kept that thread open for discussion at least

There's no way I'm gonna wipe the drive, the laptop itself is a piece of junk that's falling apart, I have no use for it. John said explicitly when selling it, "I will remove passwords and financial information but that is all", so it sure seems like they intended for someone to have all of the photos and stuff in addition to comics. But I won't be posting any of it publicly.

Yeah that's a good call, Don't destroy something that could be irreplaceable but don't just post it everywhere either.

I'm sure 30-40 years or whatever from now, some scholars will be interested in something like that and they can figure out what to do with it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Jiru posted:

Checked it after reading the thread. I rather liked it and I fully agree with this. It's silly comedy, but it's not bad at making you go "well actually this story is pretty hosed up". It's also not bad at making you actually care about the kids and don't just make them slapstick characters (though some of them still are). The piss poop fart jokes also have seemed to get less frequent since it started, which is a plus.

I went back and reread the comic up through the present and the piss poop fart jokes definitely do go down in number, making space for stories that have time to build some momentum behind the black comedy, so that's definitely a plus. Still dunno if I'd read it regularly

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

elektroboot posted:

back it up to another drive, since it's irreplaceable

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Yeah, old laptop like that will have an old drive, probably without much life left on it. Copy it to a couple of spinning-disk drives (SSDs and other flash memory may lose data within a year of being unpowered), and get some good archival DVDs and burn a few copies with that, as well. I know elektroboot said it's like 300GB of stuff, but archiving stuff like that is a Good Thing.

You might wanna contact archive.org to see about sending them a copy, but not for publication until something changes.

elektroboot
Nov 7, 2004

Tunicate posted:

yeah, definitely. I feel better at least knowing that it's not the only complete archive of PFSC out there (even if those aren't public either)

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

upload it to locked cloud storage and hold onto the password

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

JuniperCake posted:

Yeah that's a good call, Don't destroy something that could be irreplaceable but don't just post it everywhere either.

I'm sure 30-40 years or whatever from now, some scholars will be interested in something like that and they can figure out what to do with it.

Throw it away and never look back. All things are transient. Embrace zen. :zenpop:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

release your own, terrible PFSC fancomic under the guise of campbell's unpublished work

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
search-and-replace "ghost" with "millennial" and submit it to a major newspaper under your own name

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Leroy Dennui posted:

Bobbins: 1998-2002. Primitive artwork and dated writing, but introduces the principle cast for Scary Go Round and both succeeding Bobbinses.

New Bobbins: 2013-2015. Starts off as a throwback to Old Bobbins by taking place in the late '90s, and then just focuses on the present-day hijinks of Bobbins-SGR rogues for a while.

Bobbins.Horse: 2016-now. This is an actual, non-abandoned Old Bobbins throwback. I'm kind of surprised it came back considering JA returned to Bad Machinery mid-cliffhanger.

Fun fact: Bobbins means "rubbish," and may actually be the only non-side comic JA has done that has a title that reflects the content of the comic itself (for Old Bobbins, at least) :v:

Huh!

Thanks.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Allison himself also provides a comprehensive explanation of how the whole thing fits together.

Including Bobbins.Horse in particular.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Man, did JA forget that he wrote most of these comics, or does he remember all too well?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you gotta be bad at a thing before you can be good at it

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
You should also print out the best PFSCs on some nice, archival paper, so we can remember what webcomics looked like before facebook bought and deleted all websites in 2036.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I've never looked at Bobbins.horse but this is the description for today's comic

quote:

I can only apologise for the raw horror of today's final panel, which eerily (and unintentionally) recalls Aunt Sally from Worzel Gummidge. If you're too young to remember Worzel Gummidge, it was just a live-action kids' TV show about living human scarecrows with removable heads. "No biggie".

what is wrong with britain

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

It's definitely the latter. I think that's part of why Bobbins.Horse exists - because he wants to revisit what was a good premise and characters and do them justice.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Crocoswine posted:

I've never looked at Bobbins.horse but this is the description for today's comic

what is wrong with britain

It's starring the Third Doctor, who is married to his aunt.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

As far as webcomics that disappeared go, I've always wondered if someone somewhere has an archive of the missing Perry Bible Fellowship comics.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Kazinsal posted:

As far as webcomics that disappeared go, I've always wondered if someone somewhere has an archive of the missing Perry Bible Fellowship comics.

I myself wonder if somebody archived the missing Horribleville strips. KC Green went back and gutted, like, more than half his comic.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kazinsal posted:

There was one called Spellshocked that I remember reading in middle school about a dragon. I don't think I cared that much for it one way or another but drat it, I remember it and wish I could see it again for whatever reason.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Internet Archive probably has a fair amount.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Leroy Dennui posted:

I myself wonder if somebody archived the missing Horribleville strips. KC Green went back and gutted, like, more than half his comic.

Does anyone still have that original Captain Bad Idea strip?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Back in the early aughts Schlock Mercenary used to have a link to a web strip by Howard Taylor's brother Randy. It was basically a Far Side ripoff with nerd culture instead of natural sciences but it did a pretty good job of matching the tone and style of Far Side. After a few years it went poof and I've not seen any reference or memory of it let alone an archive.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

At one point, I'm fairly sure I had all of them, but I believe that HDD died without me noticing it. I had several of the variant punchlines. I need to check my external drive and see if I have it backed up there.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

some neat stuff happening in a ghost story lately but i still fail to see a path out of the current situation that doesn't lead to jail time :v:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Oh, I guess Dresden Codak updated last month while the site was broken and I didn't notice?

Stand Still, Stay Silent appears to be broken, too.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
SSSS appears to be working fine for me. Maybe it is your browser that is loving up

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Try going to https://www.sssscomic.com instead of sssscomic.com. I had problems weeks ago and the distinction worked for me.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
If you haven't read Dragondove you should start because chapter thirteen is going to start on Friday!! Dragondove is a fantasy western about dragon cowboys, also, gay. Also, good.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Dr. McNinja is pretty much all wrapped up at this point. It's nice to see things get tied off with a bow.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm about 300 pages off being all caught up on Dr McNinja. It has been a marathon slog, but pretty good overall.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I'll be honest I was kind of expecting mcninja to somehow also be chuck goodrich.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Pavlov posted:

I'll be honest I was kind of expecting mcninja to somehow also be chuck goodrich.

Honestly so was I :v:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Maybe he's the human version of Sparklelord.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Didn't Dr. McNinja have red hair with his eyebrows?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

those were also part of his mask

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Pretty sure this is the same guy from the beginning of the chapter who explicitly wasn't the good doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, that was my guess.

• Locked thread