Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Kurtofan posted:

What part is stargate like

The Relays are just Stargates in Space, built by an Ancient Race of fucksticks. That watching the Galaxy burn and do nothing ever because doing something else takes effort.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Honestly Mass Effect is more Stargate than it is anything else. Even the loyalty missions are basically in Stargate, they just take seasons to resolve instead of an hour or two.

E: Anderson and Hammond are like, almost exactly the same character in a lot of ways.

Orv fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 17, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Orv posted:

Honestly Mass Effect is more Stargate than it is anything else. Even the loyalty missions are basically in Stargate, they just take seasons to resolve instead of an hour or two.

E: Anderson and Hammond are like, almost exactly the same character in a lot of ways.

"Wrex"

"Shepard"

"Tilk"

"O'Neil"

"Ronan"

"Sheppard"

"Grunt"

"Shepard"

So which SG character is PB going to be? I'm thinking annoying team chick V-something in SG seasons 9-10 when they did a major cast change out.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Orv posted:

Honestly I think thats why Mass Effect clicked, it literally mashed all the major sci-fi franchises together in a blender so pretty much everyone could find ~something~ they liked.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Remembering DAI crafting has me revising my initial opinion. The menus were pretty poo poo, although the system was fine.

I'd still prefer if crafting was just weapon/armor mods though. Change the scope on something, or maybe even something cosmetic. It's nice to tinker around with small customisation options like that.

Orv
May 4, 2011

DancingShade posted:

So which SG character is PB going to be? I'm thinking annoying team chick V-something in SG seasons 9-10 when they did a major cast change out.

I can't answer that, I haven't been following the Andromeda stuff. Claudia Black is awesome though. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xb-oLS-cyY

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Lt. Danger, a question about the Collectors.

When the Prothean species became thralls of the Reapers through genetic and cybernetic modification, is it more accurate to say that they were assimilated or destroyed?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Orv posted:

I can't answer that, I haven't been following the Andromeda stuff. Claudia Black is awesome though. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xb-oLS-cyY

She was amazing in Farscape. Boy were her talents not put to good use in SG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSvGD-6A1mQ

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 17, 2017

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Phrosphor posted:

What is everyone going to call the main character to avoid using their first name?

Will you Pathfinder to everyone, including your love interest? Or will they all call you Ryder?

My dude will be Ryder. My chick will be Rydim

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Rydhym Ryder

middle name Rydemall

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm cool with crafting when it's a completely non-essential way to make or save money.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
Biotic-God Ryder

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
crafting is good in the elder scrolls series when you just want to break the game over your knee and nowhere else

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DancingShade posted:

Crafting can go and die in a fire.

Hello space shopkeeper? Here is a huge pile of money, give me the big gun that is good. Thank you.

I will now go and use the big gun that is good instead of hunting for 500 bolts and 500 nuts.

What's that? You want some variety in the game play now that there isn't crafting? Well back in the day we called that "interesting level design" and "good enemy variety".

I agree with you 5 billion percent. Like, no joke.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You know what would have made Quake better? Crafting.

If only there was a collect-a-thon where you slowly accumulated scrap and mutant bits then found a crafting station to forge yourself a nailgun with 2% improved spread reduction.

But Quake didn't have crafting so it sucks unfortunately :saddowns:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zakmonster posted:

Remembering DAI crafting has me revising my initial opinion. The menus were pretty poo poo, although the system was fine.

I'd still prefer if crafting was just weapon/armor mods though. Change the scope on something, or maybe even something cosmetic. It's nice to tinker around with small customisation options like that.

Yeah, that kind of stuff was good in ME3.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Maximum Ryder.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

My first male Ryder will be called Lo and my first woman Ryder will be called Flo :colbert:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

I can gently caress Tali-but-with-a-dick-this-time."
the Internet's fascination with dicks on chicks is mystifying.

Serf
May 5, 2011

tayvaan posted:

I strongly suspect the 6th crewmember is going to be one of the andromeda species. And if not that a salarian to complete the set on the team. Writing for both the quarians and the geth got so tortured by the end of ME3 that its hard for me to imagine anyone on that team wanting to go to that well again. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see any member of either race, to my knowledge none have shown up in any of the footage we've seen.

In other news

https://twitter.com/thejustinperez/status/821168271105945602

Curious to see how far they go with weapon crafting

Oh man this sounds extremely cool. Crafting weapons was something I enjoyed in Inquisition. Hopefully they ape the system from Fallout 4 so we can design some silly guns.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I can't wait to mine two thousand space rocks in order to make a slightly shinier space gun.

Gameplay!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DancingShade posted:

I can't wait to mine two thousand space rocks in order to make a slightly shinier space gun.

Gameplay!

I stopped playing DAInq midway through a second time, but that first bit I played had a mod that increased item drops/collection. It saved a LOT of time.

The crafting menus still sucked poo poo, but...:shrug:

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Milky Moor posted:

Lt. Danger, a question about the Collectors.

When the Prothean species became thralls of the Reapers through genetic and cybernetic modification, is it more accurate to say that they were assimilated or destroyed?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Crafting was good in DAI. I hate it in RPGs when the coolest looking armour has poo poo stats, it was cool to be able to make pretty much any style viable. And changing the colour was good too.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Crafting might be more bearable if resource gathering wasn't a slog, but that's what it always seems to come down to: the bulk of the work that goes into crafting is finding eighty bear asses and forty pristine snipe feet to mash together into Armor of Super Duperness +3.

Serf
May 5, 2011

marktheando posted:

Crafting was good in DAI. I hate it in RPGs when the coolest looking armour has poo poo stats, it was cool to be able to make pretty much any style viable. And changing the colour was good too.

This is one of the biggest draws for me. Pretty princess dress up is a vital aspect of good RPGs, and being able to craft good gear that also looks good is a big bonus. One of the disappointing aspects of ME3 was how barebones the stats system was for armor, and how you could only customize the one set. I hope that rather than a vague set of bars for stats they give some actual numbers, but ME3 has become the more lightweight of the two Bioware RPGs so I'm not really holding out for that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Phrosphor posted:

What is everyone going to call the main character to avoid using their first name?

Just like the best first name for Shepard was Commander, the best first name for Ryder will be Pathfinder.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Cythereal posted:

Crafting might be more bearable if resource gathering wasn't a slog, but that's what it always seems to come down to: the bulk of the work that goes into crafting is finding eighty bear asses and forty pristine snipe feet to mash together into Armor of Super Duperness +3.

It didn't seem like that game had that at all. There was no real fixed recipes. You could make everything out of everything. And there was lots of options to use less of a rare thing to great effect. Like it was possible to grind endlessly for eighty bear asses and shove them into the armor recipe that needed maximum number of asses but the goal of that system was really that if something was extremely rare you would use it in the slots that only required a little of something but gave a big bonus.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It didn't seem like that game had that at all. There was no real fixed recipes. You could make everything out of everything. And there was lots of options to use less of a rare thing to great effect. Like it was possible to grind endlessly for eighty bear asses and shove them into the armor recipe that needed maximum number of asses but the goal of that system was really that if something was extremely rare you would use it in the slots that only required a little of something but gave a big bonus.

If you say so. I found resource gathering and crafting incredibly tedious and lovely in DAI. gently caress crafting and the horse it rode in on outside the genres that specifically call for it (i.e. survival games).

Let me find the new guns and armor in treasure chests and off the bodies of their last owners, please.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Shouldn't the multiplayer beta happen sometime around now? Feels like EA made some noise about it and then just quietly dropped the whole thing.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Cythereal posted:

If you say so. I found resource gathering and crafting incredibly tedious and lovely in DAI. gently caress crafting and the horse it rode in on outside the genres that specifically call for it (i.e. survival games).

Let me find the new guns and armor in treasure chests and off the bodies of their last owners, please.

If I recall DAI correctly, you still found plenty of loot on enemies that was usable without crafting.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Again, they say that you don't need crafting to beat the game, that you can find or buy all the gear you'd want.

This was where Inquisition kind of went wrong: crafting quickly became so powerful that even epic level loot found in the wild was absolute garbage in comparison. It felt like you were handicapping yourself to not do it.

If they avoid that pitfall, it'll just be another option for the set of players that care, like the banging.

I'm hoping that you'll find stock guns and can craft modifications to the guns or build varieties of the stock guns with slightly different but not earth shattering traits. Like I find a shotgun that hits hard and fires slowly, then I can craft a version that fires a bit faster for slightly less per hit, letting me sneak in an extra headshot after a charge.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 17, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Serf posted:

This is one of the biggest draws for me. Pretty princess dress up is a vital aspect of good RPGs, and being able to craft good gear that also looks good is a big bonus. One of the disappointing aspects of ME3 was how barebones the stats system was for armor, and how you could only customize the one set. I hope that rather than a vague set of bars for stats they give some actual numbers, but ME3 has become the more lightweight of the two Bioware RPGs so I'm not really holding out for that.

I've never used any of the other armors except the blood dragon one for the huge biotic boost just because you can't take the helmets off.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Cythereal posted:

The game did stuff like making Stormheart an extremely rare drop early on. The intent was you would get like 3 of them to like, extremely augment a staff or something early on in the game and feel cool before it became a common thing. I can imagine gamers seeing that it's possible to collect then go into grinding mode and running the same area over and over and over trying to collect enough to build a whole armor set out of it and finding that really dull. It did do a better job of making small amounts of things worthwhile but gamers will minmax grind whenever the possibility exists I guess. The game design at least was built around even having 2 of something higher level being something you could leverage into a good upgrade.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

marshmallow creep posted:

Again, they say that you don't need crafting to beat the game, that you can find or buy all the gear you'd want.

This was where Inquisition kind of went wrong: crafting quickly became so powerful that even epic level loot found in the wild was absolute garbage in comparison.

If they avoid that pitfall, it'll just be another option for the set of players that care, like the banging.

This is part of the issue in DAI, yeah. I could avoid crafting, but I'd be actively gimping myself to do so in a game with not the best combat in general.

ME3 was my perfect approach to crafting - no actual crafting, but find and buy things to customize your weapons and armor with.

Then again, DAI was a gigantic mess in general and I hope Bioware decides to salvage the few good ideas they had and leave the rest in the garbage bin.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

RBA Starblade posted:

I've never used any of the other armors except the blood dragon one for the huge biotic boost just because you can't take the helmets off.

:same:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

In ME3, you can set helmets to never be visible at all, or be visible in combat but not in conversation.

Serf
May 5, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm replaying through ME3 and for some reason the default female Shepard hair clips through every single helmet except for the two basic armors. It kinda blows.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Looking at the Prima guide for ME:A, it looks like it is a little more than 100 pages larger than the Inquisition guide. What I'm saying is, it's a 100 pages of crafting material locations and recipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Crafting is a finicky part of games that can be surprisingly hard to get right. It can actually be a major bonus to a game when done right, but done poorly it would be better just removed wholesale.

Personally, what I like is crafting or weapon creation that ties in with and rewards your in-game exploration. You can find cool parts/mods in your hidden treasure chests/space caches and so forth. But I'm not a fan of mining for space iron and raw materials and other mind-numbing grindy things. The slow and grindy system is only decent when the crafting system has serious levels of depth and actually worthwhile payoffs.