Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Some hospital show on Discovery Life my wife was watching.

Untold Stories of the ER is a great show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

angryrobots posted:

So the roku watchespn app was really annoying trying to watch the cfb championship last night, worse than it's ever been.

I could pull watchespn up on my phone and it would stream fine, but the roku3 (Ethernet connected) constantly buffered and/or dropped quality.

Any thoughts on whether this is an app or a hardware issue (or just espn)? I don't think it's an internet issue, at least on my end.

It did the same thing on the Alabama Clemson game. ESPN has a really hard time with heavy loads. Pretty sure it's not device specific.

As for DTVNOW I'm super glad I didn't do it. It really is cable by any other name. I want true a la carte choices and the big companies are never going to give that choice to us until they really start to hurt. Unfortunately cord cutting is probably a couple of decades away from hurting them that bad since folks like my parents will gladly pay $160+ month until they die.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Croatoan posted:

It did the same thing on the Alabama Clemson game. ESPN has a really hard time with heavy loads. Pretty sure it's not device specific.

As for DTVNOW I'm super glad I didn't do it. It really is cable by any other name. I want true a la carte choices and the big companies are never going to give that choice to us until they really start to hurt. Unfortunately cord cutting is probably a couple of decades away from hurting them that bad since folks like my parents will gladly pay $160+ month until they die.

You know what you have to do.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Tailored Sauce posted:

Untold Stories of the ER is a great show.
Maybe, I don't even know which hospital show it was, they kind of blur together. I just call it The Blood Channel.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

flosofl posted:

I haven't heard about anything outside of sports except for the Golden Globes, but no streaming service had that. I know Vue occasionally has some prime time Science Channel shows blocked, but if you flag the show for DVR you can watch it after the airing is done, so :shrug:

Sling had the same issue.

quote:

Sling TV recently added A&E, Lifetime, and LMN networks to its lineup, but subscribers aren't exactly getting these channels in full.

Certain shows on both of these channels are effectively blacked out, with a “Restricted Content” message appearing in the channel guide.”Due to rights restrictions, this content cannot be streamed on Sling TV,” says the description for these shows.

Sling's channel guide doesn't tell viewers what they're missing, but cross-referencing with A&E's schedule shows that some—but not all—episodes of Criminal Minds are restricted. TV Guide listings show that Lifetime is restricting the made-for-TV movie Kept Woman on Saturday evening. LMN is restricting certain movies and episodes of Intervention.

http://www.techhive.com/article/2903140/sling-tvs-newest-channels-arrive-with-restricted-content.html

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 12, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Do any of these channels offer simulcast or non-provider streaming for their premier shows? I wonder if it's a 1st run revenue for ads in their streams they want to preserve?

Who knows, technology has far outpaced these companies ability to adapt their licensing and delivery strategies. I'm sure everyone involved is making it up as they go.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
To be clear, I don't think my content was actually blacked out, I think it was just messed up (and it became unblocked shortly thereafter). For one thing, the "blackout" happened about 12 minutes into a show, and that show was on at 3PM on a Wednesday afternoon.

In addition to the fairly frequent "snow", stuttering, and occasional outright freezing, the service often gives me a "there was trouble loading..." message, and a couple of times I've seen a "you have more than two streams going" message (when the actual number was zero) even after a password change.

This is on a wired 100mbps connection that plays things like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon video nearly flawlessly on a variety of devices (including the Apple TV used for DTVN). DIRECTV Now just does not function well.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

So weird because my stream has been flawless. I wonder what's causing all issues for some people but not others?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I've been mostly happy with DirecTV Now's service, but it's definitely far from perfect. Twice in the last week I got a "This program is taking longer than usual to load" error which pretty much shut everything down for around an hour or so each time. But the most annoying thing I've found is that History occasionally interrupts scenes in Vikings with "We are in a commercial break." I understand that sometimes there are regional commercials that won't play on a national cable channel, ESPN has this all the time and it never seems to affect their actual programming. With Vikings they'll be mid-sentence and all the sudden there's a commercial break notice, then between 30s - 5min later the show resumes in the middle of another scene, then goes to the actual commercial break. It's so obnoxious, thankfully I haven't noticed it on any other channels.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FCKGW posted:

So weird because my stream has been flawless. I wonder what's causing all issues for some people but not others?

Based on other discussions I've seen, there's speculation they're having issues with their CDN. I think there might be some credence to that since a lot of the bitching seems to be clustered in regions or with specific ISPs.

My experience with DTVNow that range from mostly OK, to bouts of extreme frustration. However, they just released a new update to the app, so I thought I'd give it another go and it's actually been really solid for the time I've used it today.

I still kept my Vue subscription, but if DTVNow can manage to make it the month without making me clench my teeth I may end up stoping the Vue service.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I want to watch Netflix on my PC (either in Edge or the Windows 10 Netflix app) and use my iPhone as a remote.

Is there an official Netflix app or function to do this? I can't find one but maybe I missed it somehow. Barring that, is there an easy way to do this? I'd rather not bother with some kind of remote desktop app because I don't want to deal with navigating two 1200p monitors on my iPhone. I guess an app that turns my iPhone into a trackpad would work, but that doesn't seem like it would be easy to use with the Netflix app/website.

e: Specifically I want to browse for shows on my iPhone and play said show on my computer. I've found some things about being able to do this... but with a TV.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 14, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I want to watch Netflix on my PC (either in Edge or the Windows 10 Netflix app) and use my iPhone as a remote.

When watching Netflix on your PC, it is best to browse using said PC, which is literally right in front of you.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there an official Netflix app or function to do this? I can't find one but maybe I missed it somehow. Barring that, is there an easy way to do this? I'd rather not bother with some kind of remote desktop app because I don't want to deal with navigating two 1200p monitors on my iPhone. I guess an app that turns my iPhone into a trackpad would work, but that doesn't seem like it would be easy to use with the Netflix app/website.

e: Specifically I want to browse for shows on my iPhone and play said show on my computer. I've found some things about being able to do this... but with a TV.

just buy a wireless keyboard with a mousepad on it or you can download a remote mouse app for your phone. You can always queue up stuff from the netflix app on your phone to your List and then start it from there on your computer?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Or get any one of like 4+ devices for $30 that can just run Netflix as an app and come with remotes.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Fuzz posted:

Or get any one of like 4+ devices for $30 that can just run Netflix as an app and come with remotes.

Please respect his dumb gooberish Netflix setup that he needs because reasons probably involving a janky pirate streaming setup.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Spend $35 and get a Chromecast. Hook it up to an HDMI port on one of your monitors. I'm assuming your monitors have built in speakers. If your monitors don't have built-in speakers, you can get an HDMI to audio splitter or something.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

TheScott2K posted:

When watching Netflix on your PC, it is best to browse using said PC, which is literally right in front of you.

TheScott2K posted:

Please respect his dumb gooberish Netflix setup that he needs because reasons probably involving a janky pirate streaming setup.

Or you know, one of my computers is set up in my bedroom and I can see the screen comfortably laying in bed and being able to control my Netflix on my computer like it were on a TV would be super useful for when I'm sleeping in and just wanna watch TV without leaving my bed. Or whatever, it's because I'm stealing my neighbors Netflix by proxying into their computer via tor and bitcoins.

teagone posted:

Spend $35 and get a Chromecast. Hook it up to an HDMI port on one of your monitors. I'm assuming your monitors have built in speakers. If your monitors don't have built-in speakers, you can get an HDMI to audio splitter or something.

The monitor doesn't have built in speakers but thanks I guess chromecast could work.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Get a wireless keyboard with a touchpad.

Also be less fat and lazy, GEEZ. :btroll:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
For the price of a Chromecast + audio extractor you may be able to find an AppleTV 3(wwhich has optical audio out). If your setup can handle that, you'd be able to AirPlay pretty much anything and have one less wall wart. Well two, technically, since the ATV has a built in power supply and has a regular power cord.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Or you know, one of my computers is set up in my bedroom and I can see the screen comfortably laying in bed and being able to control my Netflix on my computer like it were on a TV would be super useful for when I'm sleeping in and just wanna watch TV without leaving my bed. Or whatever, it's because I'm stealing my neighbors Netflix by proxying into their computer via tor and bitcoins.

Guess I should have said "dumb OR gooberish"

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

Get an AirPlay receiver program for Windows.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

CygnusTM posted:

Get an AirPlay receiver program for Windows.

Do those handle streaming services The Right Way, or is it just screen mirroring?

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

Do those handle streaming services The Right Way, or is it just screen mirroring?

If "The Right Way" is a la Chromecast, no. AirPlay is screen casting/mirroring.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
A thousand different options to easily and conveniently watch Netflix with a remote and there's still gonna be people who use a PC app with a wireless keyboard like a giant goob, I don't get it.

We live in a world where a device like the Shield TV (2) exists, providers are practically paying people to take streaming sticks off their hands, and this still happens?

If it were about some random corner-case app that was only available via the PC (are there any?) I could maybe see it but Netflix? *Netflix*???

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
What are the thousands of convenient options to watch Netflix with a remote on a monitor without speakers that may (probably? I don't know about monitors these days) not have an extra HDMI port?

It's kind of a goofy situation, but I can see wondering about the existence of a solution that doesn't involve another screen or what is basically a single-purpose box to add to the (most likely) already existing rats nest of cabling and power plugs.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

What are the thousands of convenient options to watch Netflix with a remote on a monitor without speakers that may (probably? I don't know about monitors these days) not have an extra HDMI port?

It's kind of a goofy situation, but I can see wondering about the existence of a solution that doesn't involve another screen or what is basically a single-purpose box to add to the (most likely) already existing rats nest of cabling and power plugs.

The option is, don't watch videos on a PC/Monitor combo that is also doubling as your TV like a goober shut-in from 10+ years ago :) Be an adult for chrissakes.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
New Shield TV arrived today. It is smaller than I thought even based on reviews:

I like the new controller that comes with it more than the original - easier to grip. New pack-in remote is nice too, a little thicker than the first version with a removable battery. The latter is something I consider to be a benefit, not a drawback, considering how often my old Shield remote needed charging (I don't use it much, but when I needed it it was always almost dead). Same number of buttons, though apparently it now can control TVs with an IR blaster - for power on, input, and volume at least. Could be useful if the Shield is the only device hooked up to your TV otherwise you'll just stick it in a drawer and use a Harmony, like normal people.

That said I think it (or the controller? Or both) has the near-field mic so maybe I'll keep that out. Haven't tried voice control yet.

New interface is similar to the old but cleaned up - Netflix is finally allowed down with other streaming apps, and games are organized better.

Amazon works and looks exactly as well as it has on my Sony Bravia TV for the past year (previously the only Android TV device allowed to run it) which is to say it works well. Overall I like it and hope the update comes to the older version soon since I have 2 other Shields scattered around the house.

Hardware is the same, HDMI support the same, and still leading edge. Only thing it is missing is Dolby Vision which no one other than rabid LG TV owners give a poo poo about. It's still the top streaming box around unless you are married to Apple content, and Amazon was the last missing piece.

If you have a Shield TV and don't need another one I don't know that it is worth upgrading to this one - probably not, you can always buy the new controller or remote if you care about that. If you are looking for a Shield TV or want another one this is the model to get.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I still don't see the point in a Shield TV over something like a Roku, unless you have a really lovely PC that can't run relatively recent games. Then again, it doesn't cost that much to make a PC that's more than adequate enough to play all the games the Shield can, plus be an actual, you know, computer. :shrug:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
From what I've read, if you assume they add everything they're say they're going to add, eventually it'll kind of be a Roku + a sort of Steam Link + a Samsung SmartThings hub (for $25 extra) + a speakerless Google Home in one box. And play Android games.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Fuzz posted:

I still don't see the point in a Shield TV over something like a Roku.

All Roku boxes can't passthrough or decode DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD audio streams. The Shield can. So that's a reason :)

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Fuzz posted:

I still don't see the point in a Shield TV over something like a Roku, unless you have a really lovely PC that can't run relatively recent games. Then again, it doesn't cost that much to make a PC that's more than adequate enough to play all the games the Shield can, plus be an actual, you know, computer. :shrug:

The games are a tertiary benefit. It's just a great STB for streaming and local playback. It supports pretty much everything, is continually updated by Nvidia and is very stable/powerful. I also use it for emulation and it does everything up the PSX/N64 very well, I haven't tried any newer platforms. I went through an HTPC, a Roku and other silly combos before finally getting a Shield and its pretty much the perfect 10 foot interface STB. Harmony controls it perfectly, uses little power and with the little voice addon soon I won't even need to reach for the controller to voice search.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
The Shield also supports Kodi, which Roku does not, and supports it well. You can even get up to date betas and RCs on it.

It also has a slicker, much faster UI, and most apps look and work better on it vs. Roku.

That's not to say the Roku line is poo poo and no one should use them, just that the Shield is a very viable higher-end option. As far as Shield vs. HTPC, there is no reason to go the route of the latter these days unless you have a very narrow and specific use case, such as being a obsessed video nut who needs to run 50gb BD rips through MADVr and a professionally calibrated display for the absolute ultimate best PQ (I'm not being sarcastic, there is a subgroup of people who do just that).

For most "regular" HTPC-like use cases the Shield handles them better, for cheaper, with far better streaming options as well.

As Gunslinger says, gaming is nice but it is really a side benefit for many Shield users. Even Nvidia seems to have finally come around to this. It's just the best streamer, period, though a little pricier than other knock-off Android TV boxes. You get what you pay for with it many times over.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My main issue with Roku is that they are more interested into expanding into bottom of the barrel TV manufacturers than doing anything innovative with their platform.

Nvidia has been pushing to shield to be better and better with every update and the app gap has been closing like crazy between Roku and AndroidTV. It would be nice if Roku got their refreshed OS out there and if app makers updated so they aren't using UI assets from 2005.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Ixian posted:

Amazon works and looks exactly as well as it has on my Sony Bravia TV for the past year (previously the only Android TV device allowed to run it) which is to say it works well. Overall I like it and hope the update comes to the older version soon since I have 2 other Shields scattered around the house.

Wait..what? They allow Amazon video to work now? Im on the old Shield I got like 8 months ago and never bothered to do the sideload trickery, it an official app now or what?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

As an aside, does anyone actually use Kodi for local media playback or is it basically just a pirated streaming platform now? Every time I see it mentioned online it's in the context of free movie and tv streams, it's seems anyone with local content just moved to Plex or Emby now.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

FCKGW posted:

As an aside, does anyone actually use Kodi for local media playback or is it basically just a pirated streaming platform now? Every time I see it mentioned online it's in the context of free movie and tv streams, it's seems anyone with local content just moved to Plex or Emby now.

I use it for local media playback. Its all linux isos though. Just not streaming linux isos.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

FCKGW posted:

There is a vocal population of people still using Kodi for local media playback, and for people who want all the buttons it's great. When you tell them to stop recommending it to normal people who just want to watch their Linux ISOs on their TV, they buy you big red custom titles. Its PVR component, while still being Kodi as gently caress, is also compatible with a lot more tuners than the Plex DVR Beta.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

MrBigglesworth posted:

Wait..what? They allow Amazon video to work now? Im on the old Shield I got like 8 months ago and never bothered to do the sideload trickery, it an official app now or what?

Yes. It's coming with the official Nougat update to all Shields. It should start rolling out at any time now (if it hasn't already.)

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Cool, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FCKGW posted:

I use it strictly for the HD Home Run plugin on AFTV, because the only clients available in the Amazon App Store are garbage fires.

That being said, I rarely use my AFTV since I prefer the picture on my ATV and the Channels app is far superior for HD Home Run boxes.