Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

headset chat

Anyone grab the Sony Platinum headset yet? Looks like some vendors have already been selling them (GameStop?). Reviews seem to be both good and bad

I know a lot of you have probably seen me talk about the Lucidsound line of headsets. I got their LS30 wireless stereo headset and had been eagerly awaiting the LS40's which is their "premium" headset with 7.1 VSS that came out just recently.

As much as I want to support them..I just can't recommend the LS40 at all. The sound is "hollow," which is the best way I can put it, and voices just sound real quiet. The LS30 is definitely worth checking out though and I've enjoyed using mine the last long while

Amazon ships the Platinums on the 19th it looks like. I'd like to try them out before I return the LS40 and compare them a bit. I'm really not one to return poo poo but they just really don't sound good at all

:can: I really hate wires and like to walk around my place with my headset on like a doofus, I'm considering just getting a high end wired headset

I preordered my Platinum headset from Amazon.ca in September and don't want to cancel it because it's $30 off, but they don't seem to have any stock. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The most important news about Musou Stars (the successor to the Orochi series I wonder?) came out today: Oda Nobunyaga will be in it.

Glory to militarism nya!

edit: I want to know about the platinum headset too.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 17, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

headset chat

Anyone grab the Sony Platinum headset yet? Looks like some vendors have already been selling them (GameStop?). Reviews seem to be both good and bad

I know a lot of you have probably seen me talk about the Lucidsound line of headsets. I got their LS30 wireless stereo headset and had been eagerly awaiting the LS40's which is their "premium" headset with 7.1 VSS that came out just recently.

As much as I want to support them..I just can't recommend the LS40 at all. The sound is "hollow," which is the best way I can put it, and voices just sound real quiet. The LS30 is definitely worth checking out though and I've enjoyed using mine the last long while

Amazon ships the Platinums on the 19th it looks like. I'd like to try them out before I return the LS40 and compare them a bit. I'm really not one to return poo poo but they just really don't sound good at all

:can: I really hate wires and like to walk around my place with my headset on like a doofus, I'm considering just getting a high end wired headset

Thanks for this, I was looking for a good quality headset and the LS30 looks perfect for me.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Nioh will almost certainly have a cult following but I'm just not sure I have the time or patience to get good at another souls-like game, no matter how good it turns out to be. Having played one a year for the past 3 years, I'm a bit burned out on them.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I tried this War of Mine, and it seems kind of boring. Is there any more to the gameplay than building poo poo during the day, and going on raids at night?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm considering a PS4 now they're pretty cheap and have a bunch of old/upcoming exclusives I like the look of. Are there any specific models to avoid because of hardware problems (like the old red-ringing 360s)?

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
Just had a chance to play the Nier Automata demo and I just wanted to say its loving awesome. Could be the comeback game for both Square and Platinum.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Pierson posted:

I'm considering a PS4 now they're pretty cheap and have a bunch of old/upcoming exclusives I like the look of. Are there any specific models to avoid because of hardware problems (like the old red-ringing 360s)?

Your best bet is a new slim bundle if you're on a budget or a pro if your budget is less tight. The launch models have the dumb eject button problem where static builds and causes the capacitive touch to keep triggering.

If you're buying used, just make sure it's not a launch model.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My physical copy of REZ Infinite finally arrived! :woop:

I was starting to get worried too.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

bloodychill posted:

Your best bet is a new slim bundle if you're on a budget or a pro if your budget is less tight. The launch models have the dumb eject button problem where static builds and causes the capacitive touch to keep triggering.

If you're buying used, just make sure it's not a launch model.
Cheers man, will keep it in mind.

The Pro is the new one with doubled power right? I'm mainly looking at the back catalogue, longer loading times don't bother me, and I don't even own a 4K TV. Most likely I'll get one used/refurb Slim there's some advantage to buying new.

Edit: If I wanted to play on a PC monitor is it true I can just plug a headset into the PS4 controller and have sound come via that right? How's the sound quality that way?

Pierson fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jan 17, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pierson posted:

is it true I can just plug a headset into the PS4 controller and have sound come via that?

Yep, it's a standard headphone input.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I finally finished Gravity Rush just before the second ones comes out. When you go into the deep down it's some ash lake level poo poo. I hope the second has more of that.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

mrbass21 posted:

Checking in to say I just beat TLG.

The short summary of my impressions is that overall it's good.

See, I feel like I should be all over Ueda's games because they're super cool on paper but I got burnt pretty badly on ICO and to a lesser extent SOTC because of the exact poo poo you're mentioning there:

mrbass21 posted:

(...) The controls and camera are absolute garbage. (...)
(...) I was doing the right thing, it just wasn't going through for some reason. (...)
(...) It was designed for a PS3 and runs like dog poo poo on the PS4 at times. (...)

And yet here I am considering purchasing TLG because Trico looks cool and maybe this time i'll like it...

I guess I'll buy it used for like 30 bucks and resell it if I still can't get past the "Ueda touch".

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Mr President posted:

Just had a chance to play the Nier Automata demo and I just wanted to say its loving awesome. Could be the comeback game for both Square and Platinum.

Platinum may be in a weird spot but Square is, like, totally crushing it right now aren't they? FFXV is selling gangbusters, they have a hugely popular F2P phone game that's taking in gobs of dough, the Deus Ex and Tomb Raider franchises both released successful if somewhat hollow chapters last year, and they can apparently just release every Kh game on every console because we all just keep buying them.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Also Hitman.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

They make ridiculous amounts of money off FFXIV, and FFXI is like the most profitable FF ever.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Megasabin posted:

I tried this War of Mine, and it seems kind of boring. Is there any more to the gameplay than building poo poo during the day, and going on raids at night?

nope, that's the whole game.

WHOOPS posted:

Also Hitman.

considering how bad Absolution was i am amazed at how ridiculously good Hitman is

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Even the new tomb Raider wasn't that bad, it just had a disappointing release on Xbone then got a new all dlc edition on ps4 and a lot of the dlc is pretty good.

Deus ex I can see being hollow and disappointing because the way the flow of the game is, it really is like an act 1 of an overall story/trilogy. If they can get together and put out act 2 and 3, it might feel better but it doesn't have good enough story beats. The gameplay is excellent though. If you wanted more of human revolution, you got it.

Hitman is a clear winner for sure. Haven't played it myself but the reviews are highly favorable. I will probably buy this on the next sale for 20 bucks.

Square is doing fantastic. I just hope they can keep it up with Hitman season 2 and the next deus ex game or two.

Edios please just keep your game engine and get to work on the next deus ex game and maybe actually finish the story you started in this generation.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Bust Rodd posted:

Platinum may be in a weird spot but Square is, like, totally crushing it right now aren't they? FFXV is selling gangbusters, they have a hugely popular F2P phone game that's taking in gobs of dough, the Deus Ex and Tomb Raider franchises both released successful if somewhat hollow chapters last year, and they can apparently just release every Kh game on every console because we all just keep buying them.

It's prime time for them to completely gently caress up the FF7 remake.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i think the ff7 remake is sort of like half-life 3 in that i don't think that it's realistically possible for it to be good enough to live up to most peoples expectations. i also think that if they had experienced this renaissance earlier they wouldn't have even gone back to that well but they have and now they've got some serious work cut out for them

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's also like HL3 in that it's never coming out

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Thanks for the tips guys, I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on a new Slim, if only so I don't get some janky dusty piece of poo poo off eBay.

If there is a single must-have PS4-exclusive story-based game of any genre at all (except MMO) which would you say that was? Uncharted seems to require a big investment in the entire series to get the most from it, Last of Us seems to be the general recommendation.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pierson posted:

If there is a single must-have PS4-exclusive story-based game of any genre at all (except MMO) which would you say that was? Uncharted seems to require a big investment in the entire series to get the most from it, Last of Us seems to be the general recommendation.

Everyone's going to tell you to get Bloodborne regardless of what ground rules you set, so get Bloodborne.

TLOU is a good standalone (for now), though.

For UC4 all you really need to know is he's Sad Indiana Jones and go from there.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I mean, the FF7 remake is shaping up to basically just play like a modded FFXV right? Just with like 3x the summons and twice the party members? Haven't they basically said that the remake won't be turn based? Or am I hallucinating that? It feels weird to think about how one of my favorite games from 5th grade will also be a game I look forward to slowly getting released over the course of my 30s...

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I look forward to playing FF7R episode 1 in 2020.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's also like HL3 in that it's never coming out

We are in an era where Doom, The last Guardian, and FFXV came out in the same year. FFVII remake is coming out. :colbert:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
FF7 Remake is going to be an action RPG but the details have been pretty sparse.

In other news, the Miku game is good but jeez it has so many songs. I've beaten 60 songs so far and still just into the H's. some are really good! Some are so bad I really make sure to beat it on the first try so I don't have to play it again.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Bust Rodd posted:

I mean, the FF7 remake is shaping up to basically just play like a modded FFXV right? Just with like 3x the summons and twice the party members? Haven't they basically said that the remake won't be turn based? Or am I hallucinating that? It feels weird to think about how one of my favorite games from 5th grade will also be a game I look forward to slowly getting released over the course of my 30s...

FF7R is a modded FFXV but with some FF7 flavoring in the mechanics. Like there's an Active Time Bar and apparently your attacks deplete from said bar.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

In a similar vein to the guy asking a couple pages ago, what's a good set of headphones for the ps4 (don't really need the mic) to pipe ingame audio through? I just realized that the PS4 can do that, and while the basic earbuds do it decently the sound cuts for a second every now and then. That LS30 looks nice but a bit outside the price I was looking for.

quote:

Thanks! I ended up beating it today. Eventually I got passable at it (playing on Warrior). Kinda got worried when Menasor dropped in during the second Devastator fight but then I ended up S-ranking it so

Haha no problem, I'm glad it was useful! It's weird how quickly the game ends though, it feels like a lot got cut or something.

quote:

I'm enjoying Transformers Devastation but is it recommended that I just stick with one character for the whole game? I'm not sure I understand the EXP system and if unused characters don't level up I'd rather just focus on one character.

There's a cheevo for beating the whole game with a single character and one for each character so I guess? I don't think it matters all that much.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 17, 2017

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Does anyone have recommendations for couch co-op games? Preferably ones that either aren't also on Steam or at least have more stuff or play better on the PS4.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Whatever happened to that procedurally generated Dark Souls-like game that was supposed to come out... uh... a while ago?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lumpy posted:

Whatever happened to that procedurally generated Dark Souls-like game that was supposed to come out... uh... a while ago?

Necro-something? I thought it was out and turned out to be kind of mediocre.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ImpactVector posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for couch co-op games? Preferably ones that either aren't also on Steam or at least have more stuff or play better on the PS4.

There aren't many good ones. Diablo 3 is the big one. Any of the lego games.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

ImpactVector posted:

While not a standard "couch co-op" game I highly recommend you grab a friend and play Until Dawn. My girlfriend and I played the whole game over about 4 nights with a bottle or four of wine.

It's way too fun to argue about what decision to make when you only have 10 seconds and you are both kind of drunk.

Then, because it is a horror game, someone's arm gets ripped off and you can laugh at your couch companion because they chose Option X, the option that led to someone's arm being ripped off.

Good times.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Pierson posted:

Thanks for the tips guys, I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on a new Slim, if only so I don't get some janky dusty piece of poo poo off eBay.

The Yakuza games are the best PS exclusives and North America's getting a new one in like a week.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

RBA Starblade posted:

Necro-something? I thought it was out and turned out to be kind of mediocre.

Not Nercocasm, it was by some big-name company... shown at either E3 or the PSN event like 18 months to 2 years ago maybe? Curse my failing old-man memory! I think it was announced or shown right around the same time Bloodbourne was?? :iiam: Maybe I dreamed it....

EDIT I remember the name!! Deep Down. It was announced in 2013... so it's probably never coming out.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lumpy posted:

Not Nercocasm, it was by some big-name company... shown at either E3 or the PSN event like 18 months to 2 years ago maybe? Curse my failing old-man memory! I think it was announced or shown right around the same time Bloodbourne was?? :iiam: Maybe I dreamed it....

EDIT I remember the name!! Deep Down. It was announced in 2013... so it's probably never coming out.

Oh yeah that one, the one everyone thought was Dragon's Dogma 2 until it wasn't. :v:

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Lumpy posted:

Hah caught your edit, but I was going to guess Deep Down was what you were talking about.

Supposedly it was going to be a free to play game but that was four years ago so...

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Quantum of Phallus posted:

There aren't many good ones. Diablo 3 is the big one. Any of the lego games.
Bummer. So Helldivers isn't recommended?

Probably should have clarified that I haven't played much of any console co-ops in the past few years.

E: Oh wait looks like that got a Steam release.

Beastie posted:

While not a standard "couch co-op" game I highly recommend you grab a friend and play Until Dawn. My girlfriend and I played the whole game over about 4 nights with a bottle or four of wine.

It's way too fun to argue about what decision to make when you only have 10 seconds and you are both kind of drunk.

Then, because it is a horror game, someone's arm gets ripped off and you can laugh at your couch companion because they chose Option X, the option that led to someone's arm being ripped off.

Good times.
Hmm. Idea has potential, but might be a hard sell. The fiance doesn't really do horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

The Yakuza games are the best PS exclusives and North America's getting a new one in like a week.
I cancelled my preorder because I still have Y5 and Kenzan to play, but I replaced it because of the prime discount and the sweet business card holder and I don't feel bad about it.