Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

flosofl posted:

I use it strictly for the HD Home Run plugin on AFTV, because the only clients available in the Amazon App Store are garbage fires.

That being said, I rarely use my AFTV since I prefer the picture on my ATV and the Channels app is far superior for HD Home Run boxes.

Not having an ATV, I also use Kodi for my HDHomeRun as even though it's not perfect, it works very well. I also found some love in the 24/7 Linux ISOs channels that I discovered in some addons this weekend. Nothing like rolling through episodes of my favorite Debian builds in the background while doing stuff around the house or lounging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

MrBigglesworth posted:

Wait..what? They allow Amazon video to work now? Im on the old Shield I got like 8 months ago and never bothered to do the sideload trickery, it an official app now or what?

Yes. You'll be getting it on the old Shield too; they are rolling out the update over the next few weeks. Includes Android TV 5, Android 7 (Nougat), and the Amazon app. It's a pretty nice update; they finally let you put Netflix in the same app row as the rest and games are organized better (and in their own section at the bottom).

Amazon works exactly like it has on the Sony Android TVs for the last year. It is perfectly functional, supports 4k and HDR (if the content does) and overall is pretty much what you expect. Search needs work on it, though, in that regard it is not as polished as the one on, say, Roku, or their FireTVs.

FCKGW posted:

As an aside, does anyone actually use Kodi for local media playback or is it basically just a pirated streaming platform now? Every time I see it mentioned online it's in the context of free movie and tv streams, it's seems anyone with local content just moved to Plex or Emby now.

That is due to the emergence of fly-by-night "free TV" boxes powered by cheap mass-produced hardware and marked up after one rear end in a top hat or another sticks a pre-loaded Kodi image on it. You can find them in malls, online, etc. Lots of people paying for ads/SEO.

Kodi foundation hates it but hasn't been effective - at all - at stopping it. Other than forbidding "illegal" stream discussion in their forums

Lots of people still use it for local playback - it's still the best client-side solution around. However the rise in server-side local solutions - Plex and Emby - which continue to improve has put a dent in to that. There are good things to say about all of them really, try and decide what you like.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Fuzz posted:

I still don't see the point in a Shield TV over something like a Roku

Casting

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah my mom, who knows zero about technology, asked me over the Christmas break about "some stick you plug into the tv that gets you unlimited free movies and tv shows". I think I eventually pieced together that it was a fire tv stick with kodi and whatever plugins for it. No clue where she heard about it from though.

It's always brought up by loudmouths on Reddit too but that's just Reddit being Reddit.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The local yardsale pages here are full of shady dudes selling $80 Fire Sticks, and I'm pretty sure at least half of the people buying them think they're legit. It's basically destroyed Kodi's brand, but I get the impression they aren't trying to build a company like Plex.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Destroyed kodis brand that didn't exist in the first place except for nerds who do all the pirating themselves.

XBMC/Kodi has always been 100% about pirated media.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
What's really weird is when I got home last night, I had the new Shield update on my 2015 Shield. The Netflix app was in the bottom row, I had the Prime app and they had reorganized a few other things under a Shield Hub thing. My recommendations row wouldn't pop up so I rebooted the box. When I rebooted it reverted to the older firmware, just Nvidia teasing me apparently. I assume they were rolling it out, found something then reverted it, I didn't know they had the ability to do that remotely though.

Anyways a post on the forums said its coming officially sometime next week.

quote:

Casting

Yeah I forgot to mention that. My GF uses it all the time for Youtube and loves it. The Youtube app for Android TV runs very well on the Shield, much better than Roku.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 17, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Destroyed kodis brand that didn't exist in the first place except for nerds who do all the pirating themselves.

XBMC/Kodi has always been 100% about pirated media.

This is facts. At no point was I watching legally-owned .avi files on my modded Xbox.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
This is probably useless info but after watching a video of the new Shield thing, their Amazon video app looks (at a short glance) to be identical to the Amazon app on the TiVo if anyone is looking for a reference point.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I'm probably going to be getting an HDhomerun soon for OTA stuff. What's the general consensus on the best way to watch it and still have access to a guide? PVR capabilities would be nice, but aren't necessary.

I've got the following devices:
2 Shield TVs - both run Kodi with the Emby for Kodi plugin. I can also use the Emby app
Amazon Fire TV - Emby

I'm not against installing Plex if I had to, but would prefer to stick with Emby. I assume since the homerun has two tuners I can watch on up to two devices at a time, right? Also, should I get the connect or Extend?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

On Android I believe the best/only option will be HD Homerun add-on with Kodi.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The android TV live channels app should work with hdhomerun by default

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Live Channels on AndroidTV is exactly what you're looking for.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Live Channels on AndroidTV is exactly what you're looking for.

Not available for FTV, even sideloaded?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Not available for FTV, even sideloaded?

Not an FTV owner, so I'm not sure but I don't think so. Depending on which FTV you have it may be a moot point, since MPEG2 isn't supported on everything the way h.264 is.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Live Channels is a Google thing and not available on FireTV stuff.

It works great with the HDHomerun boxes as long as you don't care about DVR (which Live Channels doesn't do). As grid guides go it's the best way to watch Live TV on an Android TV box.

Note that Android 7/Android TV 5 (which is on the new Shield, and coming to the older model soon) does support the new DVR/Timeshifting API's that Google announced for Live Channels back in the fall. How long it takes to come out, how well it works, and if it will work at all with the HDHR are still unknowns but in theory this could be happening soon. If it does Live Channels will probably replace the paid "Channels" app that is only available on the Apple TV as the OTA solution of choice. We'll see.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Few tips re: the new Shield for the curious:

1) You own a 1st Gen regular/Pro model

Don't upgrade. The internal hardware is the same and the new software updates, including Amazon Prime video, are on the way. If you really want the new remote (you don't) or the new controller (you might) you can always buy those separately soon. They'll work with either generation.

The 16gb Shield is in some ways a step back from the previous gen, either minor or annoying depending on your use case. There's no IR receiver and the usb IR receiver of choice, FLIRC, doesn't currently seem to work on it (this may get fixed). If you have a Harmony Hub you can control it - quite well, actually - via WiFi but otherwise you are stuck using the default remote for now. I learned this today from experience if you wondered.

There's no SD card reader or micro-usb input. You probably shouldn't have cared about either of those anyway. There are two USB 3 ports still so you can add storage that way.

The new remote is a real step back. Slightly bigger, but that itself is no big deal. What is is that the most useful feature of the old remote, the headphone jack, is gone. Same number of buttons which means too few for most people. And the microphone for voice input still sucks on it. It does support IR for limited TV control now - power on/off and volume, and *not* anything else - so if the Shield is the only thing you use with your TV then you'll like it, otherwise...no. Also the volume control is still touch based and sucks.

Has a battery now however it's a coin-based one that may or may not last a year. Hope one is in your kitchen drawer when it does.

Overall the old remote was no great shakes except as a kickass wireless headphone extender and the new one just sucks. Which makes lack of IR and broken FLIRC stand out even more on the non-pro model.

New controller is nicer and smaller. Odd texture. This one has a far-field mic if you care about Google Home. That doesn't do much at the moment. Supposedly Smartthings support via a usb dongle is coming (which will work with the older models too).

"Pro" version (with 500gb hard drive) is almost exactly the same as the last version. In fact it might even be the same, just with new remote/game controller pack ins, I can't tell for sure. If you already have a Pro it's not a step back nor it is a reason to upgrade.

2) You don't own a Shield/want another one

The new models are still great streaming boxes. If you can find a discounted 1st Gen that might be your best bet, especially if it has a remote. I don't see the aftermarket getting flooded with those though.

Otherwise the 2nd Gen 16gb is still a very good device, just know what you are and aren't getting now. At least it is cheaper and comes with a remote (lol) (it is also smaller but the 1st Gen is so small already I honestly can't see anyone giving a poo poo about this). Pro is the same.

What an odd refresh by Nvidia. The big news in Shield TV land is the software update, which applies to all of them. That makes them significantly better devices.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 18, 2017

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Ixian posted:

The new remote is a real step back. Slightly bigger, but that itself is no big deal. What is is that the most useful feature of the old remote, the headphone jack, is gone. Same number of buttons which means too few for most people. And the microphone for voice input still sucks on it. It does support IR for limited TV control now - power on/off and volume, and *not* anything else - so if the Shield is the only thing you use with your TV then you'll like it, otherwise...no. Also the volume control is still touch based and sucks.

Has a battery now however it's a coin-based one that may or may not last a year. Hope one in your kitchen drawer when it does.

The new remote takes two cr2032 batteries. The only reason I know this is because I got a pop up on the display that said low battery in remote. Opened the remote to make sure everything was installed properly and after closing the battery level went up to what would be about about the 90% level. Don't know if they just weren't seated all the way or what.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ixian posted:

Few tips re: the new Shield for the curious:

1) You own a 1st Gen regular/Pro model

Don't upgrade. The internal hardware is the same and the new software updates, including Amazon Prime video, are on the way. If you really want the new remote (you don't) or the new controller (you might) you can always buy those separately soon. They'll work with either generation.

The 16gb Shield is in some ways a step back from the previous gen, either minor or annoying depending on your use case. There's no IR receiver and the usb IR receiver of choice, FLIRC, doesn't currently seem to work on it (this may get fixed). If you have a Harmony Hub you can control it - quite well, actually - via WiFi but otherwise you are stuck using the default remote for now. I learned this today from experience if you wondered.

There's no SD card reader or micro-usb input. You probably shouldn't have cared about either of those anyway. There are two USB 3 ports still so you can add storage that way.

Has a battery now however it's a coin-based one that may or may not last a year. Hope one is in your kitchen drawer when it does.

Overall the old remote was no great shakes except as a kickass wireless headphone extender and the new one just sucks. Which makes lack of IR and broken FLIRC stand out even more on the non-pro model.

New controller is nicer and smaller. Odd texture. This one has a far-field mic if you care about Google Home. That doesn't do much at the moment. Supposedly Smartthings support via a usb dongle is coming (which will work with the older models too).

"Pro" version (with 500gb hard drive) is almost exactly the same as the last version. In fact it might even be the same, just with new remote/game controller pack ins, I can't tell for sure. If you already have a Pro it's not a step back nor it is a reason to upgrade.

2) You don't own a Shield/want another one

The new models are still great streaming boxes. If you can find a discounted 1st Gen that might be your best bet, especially if it has a remote. I don't see the aftermarket getting flooded with those though.

Otherwise the 2nd Gen 16gb is still a very good device, just know what you are and aren't getting now. At least it is cheaper and comes with a remote (lol) (it is also smaller but the 1st Gen is so small already I honestly can't see anyone giving a poo poo about this). Pro is the same.

What an odd refresh by Nvidia. The big news in Shield TV land is the software update, which applies to all of them. That makes them significantly better devices.

I unplugged my flirc from my Chromebox and plugged it into the 2nd gen shieldtv and it works fine.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

FCKGW posted:

Yeah my mom, who knows zero about technology, asked me over the Christmas break about "some stick you plug into the tv that gets you unlimited free movies and tv shows".

Actually mom might have been talking about the "Clear TV Key" which is a cheap antenna that is marketed as a way to rid yourself of cable. Without research one would think it was a pirate streaming box. I had never heard of it before I was without cable for nearly 3 weeks. I have not seen the commercials on cable tv so maybe they don't buy on the cable broadcast or something.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
One of my friends was talking about a stick like that to me. Sounds like there's just an app that streams torrents from public trackers.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Don Lapre posted:

I unplugged my flirc from my Chromebox and plugged it into the 2nd gen shieldtv and it works fine.

That's good to know. Two of mine didn't, one taken right from my earlier model Shield, and a couple others have reported it to FLIRC as well. Good to know it may not be a widespread problem though.

Now to figure out why :) I am running the original FLIRC (the one with the transparent case, not the new smaller all black version) on the latest firmware, 3.8. Is that what you are using?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

SwampDonkey posted:

The new remote takes two cr2032 batteries. The only reason I know this is because I got a pop up on the display that said low battery in remote. Opened the remote to make sure everything was installed properly and after closing the battery level went up to what would be about about the 90% level. Don't know if they just weren't seated all the way or what.

Well, at least cr2032 is very common/easy to find.

The new remote puzzles the poo poo out of me. They finally positioned the Shield as a media streamer first and including a remote from the outset is a great idea however they did such a bad job with it.

The button layout is debatable - certainly the trend has been towards less buttons = better, and I get it, no one outside of Japan likes remotes with 100 buttons on them, but they could have at least gone the AFTV route and added 3 or 4 more for playback, etc without cluttering poo poo up. Might have been able to add more IR control that way (like input changing - I get that CEC is a thing, but it's still a mess that doesn't work well for everyone).

However that isn't the real problem with it. Other than the lack of a headphone jack the new remote is just plain quirky in regular use. It has a battery saving sleep mode that takes a second or two to wake up from after you put it down. And it's not that responsive when awake either; some apps like Netflix are a bit of a chore to navigate through.

Maybe this isn't across the board but it affects me and the Nvidia forums are filled with complaints about responsiveness so there's some issue going on. My guess is right now they are being too aggressive with saving power.

Amazon managed a remote that is both slim and easy to use and yet has more buttons for playback and uses regular AAA. I'm guessing the reason (outside of cost) Nvidia removed the headphone jack is the batteries it uses would be quickly drained, a problem the previous rechargeable model didn't have. Probably could have solved that by using AAA.

Anyway enough on the remote. They missed an opportunity there but in the end it defines "first world problem". FLIRC (when/if I get mine working again) is a better option anyway, particularly for Kodi. The controller has what appears to be a decent far-field mic that can be set to always listening mode, so you still have an option for voice control. And so far I have found that to be more accurate than the mic on the default remote anyway.

As a reminder, if you get the new non-Pro model and you don't have/want FLIRC you can still control it with a Harmony as long as you have the Hub. That will connect over WiFi and it works really well while giving you not only the buttons on the remote but all the buttons on the game controller as well to work with. Should be a simple matter of using the Keymap addon in Kodi to re-map those to specific functions. FLIRC would give you even more flexibility but I'm guessing most folks would be happy. Also WiFi of course doesn't require LOS, so your placement options are better.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ixian posted:

That's good to know. Two of mine didn't, one taken right from my earlier model Shield, and a couple others have reported it to FLIRC as well. Good to know it may not be a widespread problem though.

Now to figure out why :) I am running the original FLIRC (the one with the transparent case, not the new smaller all black version) on the latest firmware, 3.8. Is that what you are using?

Im using the clear one with whatever firmware it has the last time it was plugged into a computer, probably over a year ago.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My 2nd gen FireTV remote chews through AAAs like once every ten days though. So I'm not sure it's a great example of RF remote implementation.

Logitech manages to have a simple RF remote that really does last for a year or more on a single coin cell and it has no wakeup lag. So it is possible.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

quote:

Today we released a minor update to SHIELD Experience Upgrade 5.0 (v5.0.1) for the new SHIELD TV. This update contains general stability and performance enhancements, including a SHIELD accessories update. Customers can update at their convenience. After the update, look for and install the new SHIELD accessories update from the recommendation row.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/988789/shield-tv/shield-experience-upgrade-5-0-1/
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/988354/shield-experience-upgrade-5-0-feedback-thread-updated-1-18-17-/

SwampDonkey fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 18, 2017

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

bull3964 posted:

My 2nd gen FireTV remote chews through AAAs like once every ten days though. So I'm not sure it's a great example of RF remote implementation.

Logitech manages to have a simple RF remote that really does last for a year or more on a single coin cell and it has no wakeup lag. So it is possible.

DirecTV RF lasts FOREVER on 2 AAs. And that is pretty impressive for a primary remote.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

There may be an issue with your remote, or some other external factor. My wife uses our FTV2 almost every day (and will continue to do so until I replace it with one of my 1st Gen Shields) and we haven't had to replace the batteries in over 6 months. 10 days doesn't sound typical.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, so I'm in Canada and I've cut cable, and I'd like to know if anyone has anything good or bad to say about a box like this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/GooBang-Doo-A...VHW8QSRVV1GFCQ4

I currently subscribe to Netflix and CraveTV (great Canadian streaming option, if you plan on updating the OP, definitely add it in there), and I have Kodi on my phone, but haven't used it much. Friends of mine swear by Kodi, I just want to make sure that if I pull the trigger on that Android box, I'm not going to regret it. I see that it runs Kodi, but I just hope that it's not complete garbage outside of that. Amazon reviews seem pretty good (and numerous, which is nice), so I'm thinking it's pretty solid.

EDIT: I guess it might help to mention that I already have a Chromecast, and for what it does, I love it.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 24, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Android TV boxen (not to be confused with AndroidTV boxen) are universally trash. If you want Kodi, sideload it on a Fire Stick.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

TheScott2K posted:

Android TV boxen (not to be confused with AndroidTV boxen) are universally trash. If you want Kodi, sideload it on a Fire Stick.

I guess it's getting into :files: but what the hell extensions are people installing in these Fire Sticks with Kodi that they're selling for $100? I'm trying to talk my friends out of wasting their money and just doing it themselves but more and more people are getting them and talking about all the free movies they're getting on Facebook.

I want to tell people why they're dumb and why the apps are a bad idea but I don't know enough about it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The usual dumb poo poo that catalogs streams people are running from their home PCs that will inevitably go down eventually and slowly become useless without updates. If that doesn't convince them, let them burn their money. It's not your problem, you're an 03.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
What's the best thing to use to get local ota channels on Apple TV and/or a fire stick?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

On an AppleTV, an HDHomerun, assuming it's an ATV4. On a Fire Stick, nothing. It can't decode MPEG2 and the HDHomerun with a built in transcoder comes with a very real quality hit on full frame rate content like news and sports.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

TheScott2K posted:

Ok, is what I linked to Android TV Boxen? I trust goon opinion over pretty much anyone else, at least with tech stuff, but I'd actually really like to know why it's universally trash, in your opinion. Genuinely curious, no sarcasm meant.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

AndroidTV Boxen: Nexus Player (RIP), Nvidia Shield TV ($150?), Xiaomi Mi Box ($70). They run a special version of Android meant for TV use that can run "lean back" versions of Netflix, Hulu, etc. It also has a Live Channels app that can make a nice guide from OTA channels via an HDHomerun and live streaming channels from Pluto.tv. AndroidTV boxes also work as casting targets. Google Home is also being integrated into AndroidTV, so if you like barking commands at your TV, that's a plus.

Android TV Boxen: made by companies you've never heard of using leftover Droid X guts. They run the same Android as your phone, don't have access to the lean-back versions of apps, tend not to be casting targets, and generally only exist as vessels for piracy-streaming Kodi perversions. Unreliable hardware, unstable software, and nobody to complain to.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Thoughts on this?

http://www.techhive.com/article/3155165/consumer-electronics/tablo-has-new-cord-cutting-tricks-for-over-the-air-tv-antennas.html

quote:

Tablo has new cord-cutting tricks for over-the-air TV antennas

Tablo's new gear includes a DVR app for Android TV, a simple way to stream live TV to connected devices, and a "concept" DVR in the cloud.

By Jared Newman

| Follow

TechHive | JAN 6, 2017 5:00 AM PT

For the past couple years, Ottawa-based Nuvyyo has offered just one product, the Tablo DVR, which can record free over-the-air broadcasts and stream them to mobile devices, PCs, and streaming boxes. Now, the company is branching out with some new superpowers for the lowly TV antenna.

At CES 2017, the company was showing off a DVR app for Android TV boxes, a tuner stick that streams live TV to other devices, and a “proof-of-concept” for storing recordings in the cloud. I checked them all out and extracted as much info as possible from Nuvyyo CEO Grant Hall.

Here are all the details:

Like a DIY TiVo

Tablo’s upcoming DVR app is supposed to be a simpler alternative to the whole-home DVR hardware that Nuvyyo already offers. Instead of connecting a DVR box to your Wi-Fi network, and then streaming video to other devices around the house, the DVR app runs on one box—in this case, the Nvidia Shield Android TV—that hooks up directly to the television.

The antenna connects to the USB tuner, the tuner connects with the Shield, and the Shield connects to your TV.

You'll still need an antenna, of course, and you'll also need a dual TV tuner to connect the antenna with the set-top box. (Tablo will sell its own as well as support one made by Hauppauge.) You can then use Tablo’s app to watch live TV, schedule recordings, and watch recordings. This app is separate from the one Tablo already offers for its existing DVR, and in my experience, it’s a cut above, with rich animations and snappy response times.

The DVR app has some other advantages over the existing Tablo. Because it’s grabbing an unadulterated MPEG-2 signal from the tuner, channels change almost instantly, and picture quality is as sharp and smooth as direct antenna input to a television. (By comparison, the Tablo DVR uses HTTP live streaming, which takes time to buffer and is more prone to quality issues.)

But the software DVR has one big drawback: Unlike Tablo’s hardware DVR, the app can’t stream video to other devices around the house. Theoretically, Nvidia Shield owners could set up their boxes as Plex servers, and access stored recordings through the Plex app on other devices, but I didn’t actually test that out, and Tablo hadn’t considered that possibility.

As with Tablo’s DVR hardware, full channel guide and scheduling will require a subscription. It’s a little cheaper than the hardware option at $3.99 per month or $39.99 per year, but there won’t be a lifetime subscription option.

Tablo aims to release the app in Q2, along with its own dual TV tuner. The app will only work on Nvidia Shield at first, but the plan is to expand it to other Android TV boxes such as Xiaomi’s Mi Box in the future.

An antenna—and DVR—anywhere

Tablo is also trying to make antenna broadcasts more accessible with a $99 networked tuner, dubbed the Tablo Live. Think of it as a stripped-down version of Tablo’s existing hardware, but with just a single tuner and no local DVR. The idea is that you could install it in a place with ideal antenna reception, and then stream live broadcasts to all your phones, tablets, PCs, and streaming boxes through Tablo’s existing apps.

The Tablo Live tuner lets you stream live broadcasts from an antenna to phones, tablets, PCs, and streaming boxes.

If you want to add DVR later on, Tablo is working on cloud storage for recordings, and demonstrated a “proof-of-concept” that seemed to work pretty well at CES. The system for scheduling and viewing recordings is exactly the same as Tablo’s existing DVR, except those recordings are stored online instead of on your own hard drive.

Although Tablo hasn’t finalized pricing for the DVR service, Hall says the monthly cost will be “around Netflix, maybe a bit more.” The monthly subscription will also include out-of-home streaming of live and recorded TV for Tablo Live users.

The Tablo Live tuner will launch in Q2, and Nuvyyo hopes to have the cloud DVR available at the same time. The company is looking at whether to release a dual-tuner version of Live, which would allow watching or recording two channels at once, but with the initial product Nuvyyo wanted to hit that $99 price mark.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

There's been noise about Google adding DVR for OTA TV to the Live Channels app, I'd be tempted to wait and see how that shakes out before jumping on a third-party service. For what it's worth, though, people in cordcutter world seem to like Tablo things.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Tablo is good for OTA DVR but I agree with The Scott2k, Google Live Channels is the best overall OTA app for Android TV and they've already added the APIs needed for DVR so it's a matter of time before devices support it natively. I believe the Shield is going to get the DVR update, at least in beta form, soon for example.

Now that the Shield has Amazon video the "which box should I buy" debate has gotten simplier - you get that one if you want to spend a little more cash (it retails for $200 now with a remote and gamepad) or if you want to go cheap get a FireTV stick and put up with its OTA and other limitations.

As far as boxes that support 4k HDR, most major streaming services including Amazon, top-notch Kodi support, best in class Android TV gaming, PC game streaming, and good OTA broadcast support, the Shield is not only the best, it's basically it. The Mi doesn't have Amazon or as good gaming support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
The new Shield update is pretty cool. I can finally put Netflix in the apps row and the Nvidia row of stuff is in my Games section with my emulators and other crap. With Amazon Video, Netflix, Plex/Kodi and the NFL app I've now got everything I need in an STB, very happy with my setup.

I will look into OTA stuff if my girlfriend complains about missing her wedding shows but for now I can finally just kick back and enjoy having way too much content and not enough time to watch it.