Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Exploration should have a ship launched rover. Stay in orbit above a planet and drop the rover down like the Mars rover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Something happened today:

I finished my self-made goal of exploring at least 100 stars before continuing from Colonia. The pic above is the little Adder I used in the Colonia Sector preparing to dock at Balakor's Research Outpost in the Colonia Sector.

To prevent burn out, I carved the Colonia Sector in roughly four sectors, then explored 25 stars before turning the data in at the opposite end of the Colonia Sector from where I was each time. This is the fourth and last time selling exploration data.

Milestone reached: Just over 100 million credits in exploration data. Not bad! Also, travelling from the bubble to Colonia gave me roughly 20% towards Elite-exploration. My extensive Colonia mission added 2-3% more. Based on that, I'll probably have enough for Elite when I'm on my way home. (Colonia was just the first stage of my planned trip across the galaxy.)

Just to be silly I collected a bunch of courier missions back to Jacque's Station, where my Imperial Cutter was stored.

My commander passing the time reading news from home. Aliens!? How strange.

And I'm finally back in my Cutter! 32,47 ly/jump. The funny thing is, with the new engineers I could possibly wring out 1-2 ly more by lightweighting my lifesupport and other random poo poo. But of course travelling 40k light years to gain 1-2 ly more range would be insane, so I'm planning on just pushing through.

Next stop: The galactic core.

This is my explorer: The Heleophryne Regis, a flying Diamond Frogs joke and Imperial Cutter.

Look at how shiny that Chrome is! Also please note my brand-new GalCop-decal. I also invested into green colors for my weapons. Because frogs are green. :shepface:

Anyway, 1/3rd done, time for the next level!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So with the recent weapon buffs anyone doing funky builds?

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I was using a mildly engineered adder solo to hunt single targets in combat zones around Xihe. ~400+ cruise speed and 3 double-shot frag cannons. Railguns still basically do not miss you, but it is agile enough to stay out of the firing cone of whatever you are trying to kill. The largest thing I have shredded so far is a FAS.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Efexeye posted:

Quaiche's Scavenger's Daughter

And it can follow and return to you from much greater distances at the cost of any crew on board :stonk:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Sard posted:

And it can follow and return to you from much greater distances at the cost of any crew on board :stonk:

eh, pulping your soulmate is the price you pay for becoming a prophet and founding a religion

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Efexeye posted:

eh, pulping your soulmate is the price you pay for becoming a prophet and founding a religion

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

well, with that username it makes sense that you would!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

'He turned around in the tight confines of the bay. The entire space was about the size of a small washroom, with something of the same antiseptic lustre. A tight squeeze at the best of times, but even more so now that the bay was occupied by Quaiche's tiny personal spacecraft, clamped on its berthing cradle, poised above the elongated trap door that allowed access to space.
With his usual furtive admiration, Quaiche stroked the smooth armour of the
Scavenger's Daughter. The ship purred at his touch, shivering in her harness.
"Easy, girl," Quaiche whispered.
The little craft looked more like a luxury toy than the robust exploration vessel it actually was. Barley larger than Quaiche himself, the sleek vessel was the product of the last wave of high Demarchist science. Her faintly translucent aerodynamic hill resembled something that had been carved and polished with great artistry from a single hunk of amber. Mechanical viscera of bronze and silver glimmered beneath the surface. Flexible wings curled tightly against her flanks, various sensors and probes tucked back into the sealed recesses within the hull.
"Open", Quaiche whispered.
The ship did something that always made his head hurt. With a flourish, various parts of the hull hitherto apparently seamlessly joined to their neighbors slid or contracted, curled or twisted aside, revealing in an eyeblink the tight cavity inside. The space- lined with padding, life-support apparatus, controls and read-outs- was just large enough for a prone human being. There was something both obscene and faintly seductive about the way the machine seemed to invite him into herself."

-who wouldn't want to drive that?

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Libluini posted:

Milestone reached: Just over 100 million credits in exploration data. Not bad! Also, travelling from the bubble to Colonia gave me roughly 20% towards Elite-exploration. My extensive Colonia mission added 2-3% more. Based on that, I'll probably have enough for Elite when I'm on my way home. (Colonia was just the first stage of my planned trip across the galaxy.)

Was that full exploration of the systems or just a honk-and-jump?

I've been honking and looking at the stars for the past few trips I've made before moving on. I'll only look at planets if they are close and/or look interesting.
On my past two ~1K trips I made around a million each by just doing that.
I'm near the destination of my current 6K trip and will be heading back home later tonight. Curious to see how much I've made.
95% of the systems I've hit outside of the bubble have been undiscovered so that'll help out a lot.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Alright, time for a real dumb set of questions. I need goon advice.

I think I'm done reacclimating to the game after a long absence, and for a while I was ignoring that Colonia thing, but the more I see pictures of the GalCop decal the more I want it (also my explorer rating is really bad and could use a boost). I am only barely familiar with the neutron star boost stuff, the highway, engineering, and all of that. I've got some time off for the following weeks, though, and am not a stranger to poopsocking, so: If I run out to Colonia with 10 macguffins, will I get a cool space sticker? Is there still time to do so, if I stare at a computer screen for 3-4 hours a day on average until the deadline? Can the FSD engineer be rushed for smaller class drives in time to make that worth doing before heading out? Is this a really loving dumb idea? If it's only a slightly dumb idea, what should I do to make it work?

e: welp, I was mistaken! But I still need to look into some primers on engineers I guess.

Sard fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 17, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Turmoil posted:

Was that full exploration of the systems or just a honk-and-jump?

I've been honking and looking at the stars for the past few trips I've made before moving on. I'll only look at planets if they are close and/or look interesting.
On my past two ~1K trips I made around a million each by just doing that.
I'm near the destination of my current 6K trip and will be heading back home later tonight. Curious to see how much I've made.
95% of the systems I've hit outside of the bubble have been undiscovered so that'll help out a lot.

Full exploration would have lead to me committing suicide out of boredom, so no. I'm only marking certain interesting places, which is taking long enough already if your definition of "interesting" stretches too "this goddamn lump of ice 200k ls from the star will be mine, damnit!" :v:

Also, to be a bit more precise, the 100 mill is what I made from exploration total, since I've started playing in 2014. This trip has made around 23 million credits so far, with the exploration of the Colonia Sector alone accounting for ~3 mill.

Of course, on the last 5-6k light years to Colonia I've started massively cheating by taking neutron stars and jumping over vast stretches of space without scanning more than the neutron star and some of their planets, so that number is somewhat off. If you travel the normal, slower way you could probably make something like 25-30 million credits, depending on luck. If you're hardy enough to obsessively scan everything, you can probably get close to 40-50. Probably. :shrug:

Anyway, I still have to get to the core, then to the other side of the galaxy, then back home again. All in all, even with neutron star boosts, I'll probably hit 200 million total when I finally get back home.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Efexeye posted:

'He turned around in the tight confines of the bay. The entire space was about the size of a small washroom, with something of the same antiseptic lustre. A tight squeeze at the best of times, but even more so now that the bay was occupied by Quaiche's tiny personal spacecraft, clamped on its berthing cradle, poised above the elongated trap door that allowed access to space.
With his usual furtive admiration, Quaiche stroked the smooth armour of the
Scavenger's Daughter. The ship purred at his touch, shivering in her harness.
"Easy, girl," Quaiche whispered.
The little craft looked more like a luxury toy than the robust exploration vessel it actually was. Barley larger than Quaiche himself, the sleek vessel was the product of the last wave of high Demarchist science. Her faintly translucent aerodynamic hill resembled something that had been carved and polished with great artistry from a single hunk of amber. Mechanical viscera of bronze and silver glimmered beneath the surface. Flexible wings curled tightly against her flanks, various sensors and probes tucked back into the sealed recesses within the hull.
"Open", Quaiche whispered.
The ship did something that always made his head hurt. With a flourish, various parts of the hull hitherto apparently seamlessly joined to their neighbors slid or contracted, curled or twisted aside, revealing in an eyeblink the tight cavity inside. The space- lined with padding, life-support apparatus, controls and read-outs- was just large enough for a prone human being. There was something both obscene and faintly seductive about the way the machine seemed to invite him into herself."

-who wouldn't want to drive that?

Alastair Reynolds wants to bone spaceships, it's a constant theme in all his books.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates
When Horizons came out, and they said it was for rocky planets only, my brain kind of added a for now on the end of that.

Did we ever hear anything about expanding it to more complicated, not-dead planets? I'm not complaining - there's not really any gameplay need right now, but it feels a little sly to say "yes, we'll add landing on planets" while neglecting to add "but every world you touch will be dead".

The planet surfaces in Frontier and First Encounters were pretty basic, but still fun to have. Not sure you could get away with that now. And imagine having to build all of Earth's landmarks...

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
They'll add the ability to land on an Earthlike and automatically bill your credit card for a copy of Planet Coaster then dump you in a player created theme park.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
https://imperium.news/guardians-patch-2-2-03-shot-arm-elite-needed/
Suggests the netcode/instancing has been improved a bit. Is this true?

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

DancingShade posted:

They'll add the ability to land on an Earthlike and automatically bill your credit card for a copy of Planet Coaster then dump you in a player created theme park.

If I can collect bounties from Chief Beef, I'm in.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Libluini posted:

Full exploration would have lead to me committing suicide out of boredom, so no. I'm only marking certain interesting places, which is taking long enough already if your definition of "interesting" stretches too "this goddamn lump of ice 200k ls from the star will be mine, damnit!" :v:

Yeah I would feel like But what if I miss something!? if I just honk-n-blow through a bunch of untouched systems, but f scanning everything in every system; life is too short. I try and eyeball each system chart for ELWs / waterworlds / amonnia giants with life / weird cinders orbiting a stones throw from the star, and listen to any cloudy planets to check they're not stealth earthlikes.

One thing I thought would be good - instead of cash for each body scanned in a system, a multiplier formula for all bodies scanned in that system, with a scale of ELW all the way down to rockball - if you find an earthlike, the rest of the planets in that system are going to be more valuable due to resource proximity, more reason to scan them.

I'll let someone else choose the multipliers :o:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The 'what if I miss something' goes away after the first few thousand light years if you have a specific destination in mind. Otherwise you can probably stay in the same unexplored sector for... probably forever.

Galaxy is big and trying to map it all will lead to madness.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Dirty posted:

When Horizons came out, and they said it was for rocky planets only, my brain kind of added a for now on the end of that.

Did we ever hear anything about expanding it to more complicated, not-dead planets? I'm not complaining - there's not really any gameplay need right now, but it feels a little sly to say "yes, we'll add landing on planets" while neglecting to add "but every world you touch will be dead".

The planet surfaces in Frontier and First Encounters were pretty basic, but still fun to have. Not sure you could get away with that now. And imagine having to build all of Earth's landmarks...

During the kickstarter, at one point there was a simple tech demo of flying through a cloudy gas giant (?) atmosphere. I can't find the video anymore, but I think it's the same generator you see in the background here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTBvpd3_Vqk&t=293s

Also, Braben talked about getting out of your spaceship and hunting surface fauna or something, but I took that to be wishful speculation/hype.

Anyway, I think they could realistically do non-living planets with atmospheres and liquids, but it's a huge step up to flora and fauna, and another big step up to population centers, given the degree of realism they're going for stylistically. I guess they could cut down on the complexity of rendering the latter by only having enclosed habitats with no people/cars moving around outside though...

So I'd say it's partially achievable, but whether they'll actually do it is an open question. It's much less work, and maybe smarter financially, to keep tweaking the gameplay, work on the mission board, do more scripted events, etc, but on the other hand it's Braben's baby, so I'm still hoping for some cool stuff just for the sake of it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

The 'what if I miss something' goes away after the first few thousand light years if you have a specific destination in mind. Otherwise you can probably stay in the same unexplored sector for... probably forever.

Galaxy is big and trying to map it all will lead to madness.

In my opinion, the best way to explore space is to mark some target zone, travel there as fast as you want and then map around at your leisure.

Of course, even a small nebula can contain thousands of stars in its vicinity, so you still have to make choices if you want to avoid madness. Psychologically, the best way to do this is to have some little counter running so you can say at some point: "That's it, 200 stars mapped in this region, time to move on!" and feel like you accomplished something. Another way to trick your brain into thinking you made a dent into the vast ocean of space is mapping a little bubble of systems close-by, so if you zoom in it looks like found everything.

This also means if someone ever gets to the part you explored, he will not only be impressed, but also slightly annoyed that there's a bubble of already taken systems he now has to avoid. :v:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I have my name on some poo poo relatively close to the bubble and I am proud of it (I even have a .txt with the system names) but gently caress if I ever try to explore seriously again. It's just too time consuming unless they improve the scanner so you don't have to literally touch the planet for it to register

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I'm avoiding another exploration jaunt because it will definitely push me to Elite and my stupid brain is telling me that means I've won the game. I wish there was some sort of post-Elite progression system to let me mark how much of my life I'm wasting.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
I come with gifts: click.

If it's tl;dr just click the first spoiler

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Chrysophylax posted:

Is it furries? I bet it's furries.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
You're close

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

It's worse.

Space weebs.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Boogalo posted:

It's worse.

Space weebs.

Jadzia?

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
Anyway me have any pointers on the fastest way to get space rep with the Alliance since I need to be friendly to access an engineer. Plenty of guides for Fed & Empire because of ships, no thing for alliance.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chrysophylax posted:

Communist Carnivorous Space Elves, with bodies so hosed up they prefer to have sex standing. Also they have small mouths and hunted by piercing and cutting prey with their sharpened forearmes.

I think with all of this added together I'll need some photographic evidence before I call those guys Elves. Or even humanoid.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Chrysophylax posted:

This is the grade A poo poo right here, 100% columbian. :v:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

illectro posted:

Anyway me have any pointers on the fastest way to get space rep with the Alliance since I need to be friendly to access an engineer. Plenty of guides for Fed & Empire because of ships, no thing for alliance.

I can't really think of any "shortcuts," as I'm pretty sure I ended up getting to friendly with them purely by doing missions and bounty hunting in Alliance space.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Long time ago my rank went up from trading rares in Alliance space. So I think just doing anything will work.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Chrysophylax posted:

:catdrugs:

:nms: If you don't feel like clicking (no pr0n tho):

The misspelling in the title helps make this peak-:spergin:.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

So there's lore to back up these EEE's huh... :crossarms:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Are those vampire teeth? :catstare:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

SpannerX posted:

Is it furries? I bet it's furries.
It's somehow worse.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

A. Beaverhausen posted:

So there's lore to back up these EEE's huh... :crossarms:

To interpret the lore this way you first have to inject enough heroin into your veins to keel over dead thrice

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

literally zelda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

illectro posted:

Go to Wolf397 and hunt bounties at the nav beacon. Hand them in at Trophy Camp once you hit 100k credits worth and it'll unlock Tod McQuinn. http://inara.cz/galaxy-engineer/6

You'll also get a solid chunk of alliance rep as it's all alliance bounties and you can use him to upgrade multicannons into spitting deathbringers of doom that allow you to hunt more bounties. Hand the bounties in at his camp again and it'll unlock higher grade blueprints for him.

• Locked thread