Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I'd rather craft then grind for RNG loot boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jeza posted:

It can actually be a major bonus to a game when done right

Very difficult to get "right" though because it has a huge inherent balancing issue. Crafted items compete with found loot at every stage of the game and both crafted items and found loot have to be balanced against the enemies you fight.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Maybe resource gathering won't be so bad! I mean, you have a ship, you'll probably just be able to scan planets for the mats you need, that sounds like it could be fun

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

Looking at the Prima guide for ME:A, it looks like it is a little more than 100 pages larger than the Inquisition guide. What I'm saying is, it's a 100 pages of crafting material locations and recipes.

If this is actually indicative of the scale of the game in comparison, that would be pretty ludicrous.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Maybe resource gathering won't be so bad! I mean, you have a ship, you'll probably just be able to scan planets for the mats you need, that sounds like it could be fun

Yeah, no, they already showed you having to search for mineral nodes on planets on foot.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oh

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

They also showed deployable mining drones though, so it looks as though you'll be able to delegate resource gathering a bit (probably more than you could with Inquisition's repeatable war table missions).

I really enjoyed the crafting in Inquisition and if done well I think it'll be good in this as well. Being able to customise the colour, print and texture of gear by crafting and tinting it with special materials was really great, especially since all the most powerful stuff you could make was customisable. It's always a bummer getting locked into the top tier armour in an RPG and finding out it looks really bad on your character.

Also, as people have mentioned, you really didn't need to grind unless you wanted that extra +3 Strength or whatever. Every schematic could be crafted with weaker materials that you'd have in abundance for the price of a slight stat drop, and it'd still be pretty strong. You only had to go hunting for rare materials if you wanted to be totally min-maxed, which...seems pretty appropriate to an RPG's lategame loot system, to me. You could also buy everything short but the dragon crafting materials from the Black Emporium, so if you had the gold to burn there wasn't even any gathering involved.

Plus, you'd usually have enough rare stuff to make several pieces of top tier gear just by playing the game. It was only if you wanted to outfit your whole party with the best equipment that lack of crafting materials really became an issue.

Serf
May 5, 2011

If they follow ME3's example you'll probably find tons of stuff just in your normal path through the game, with only optional stuff hidden off to the sides.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Looking at the Prima guide for ME:A, it looks like it is a little more than 100 pages larger than the Inquisition guide. What I'm saying is, it's a 100 pages of crafting material locations and recipes.

Android Blues posted:

If this is actually indicative of the scale of the game in comparison, that would be pretty ludicrous.

For anyone else wondering how many pages the DA:I prima guide is, it's 352 pages according to Amazon. So I guess that means the ME:A Prima guide is ~28% longer.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Phrosphor posted:

What is everyone going to call the main character to avoid using their first name?

Will you Pathfinder to everyone, including your love interest? Or will they all call you Ryder?

PeeEff

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Android Blues posted:

Remember that this is the first game bioware is making that isn't bound by the xbox 360/ps3 hardware. Makes sense that it would have a lot more going on.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Big P.

Ghost.

Boss.

"Heeeeey...you!"

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I think PB will be an Asari that identifies as male. I'm not sure why I think this.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Actually it's 100 pages of people to bang.

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016

Lobok posted:

Very difficult to get "right" though because it has a huge inherent balancing issue. Crafted items compete with found loot at every stage of the game and both crafted items and found loot have to be balanced against the enemies you fight.

a good example of this done right is Elder Scrolls Online, where you can both loot and craft different item sets of similar power level but different flavour

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I really just dislike crafting in single player games and am kind of amazed that it hasn't died off as a fad yet. It makes sense in MMOs where it fuels a player-driven economy, and also serves to pad out the time and keep subscribers playing for longer but in a game that you're just playing by yourself? Crazy imo

I actually really liked how ME2 and 3 moved away from loot entirely and I'm a little bummed we're going back to it but whatever I'll still buy it

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I have never crafted in a game yet

in Skyrim I just typed the materials into the console to build some cool armor. I fuckin hate running around hoarding garbage in my bagS gently caress YOU ALL FOR APPARENTLY LOVING IT SO MUCH THAT EVERY RPG SEEMS TO THINK IT IS A MUST

OH WHOOPS I ACCIDENTALLY HIT CAPS LOCK , IM NOT REALLY THIS UPSET ABOUT CRAFTING BUT STILL

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I didn't craft a single thing in DAI. It was completely unnecessary.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

I actually really liked how ME2 and 3 moved away from loot entirely and I'm a little bummed we're going back to it but whatever I'll still buy it

Yes, this was great. I really don't understand the crafting fad either

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Ainsley McTree posted:

It sort of makes sense since in ME you had a large organization of one kind or another funding your adventures. You were their elite unit, you get all the best gear they have and don't have to worry about picking up every dead shmuck's beatup peashooter so you can sell them all and buy a new space gun +1. There are interns who do that in the background for you.

But now you are leading an expedition with limited resources and the imminent destruction of the galaxy hasn't united hundreds of industrially developed planets behind making sure you have the shiniest helmet.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Nevets posted:

It sort of makes sense since in ME you had a large organization of one kind or another funding your adventures. You were their elite unit, you get all the best gear they have and don't have to worry about picking up every dead shmuck's beatup peashooter so you can sell them all and buy a new space gun +1. There are interns who do that in the background for you.

This was the way it was in DAI too, but you still had to pick plants and sell scrap.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Does anyone else feel that the advertising and overall hype for this game seems unusually low considering how soon its coming out? I mean I thought ME:3 was an abortion and am waiting on this with a tenuous glare but still it feels weird.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Crafting is good. If you take the time to craft it should give you something better than normal world drops, but maybe not as good as the really good epic stuff. Aside from the annoying interface, DAI's main crafting sin was that it was generally a lot better than non crafted epics. That's actually a problem with the loot design though, not the crafting. They could have had many in game items that give you guard on hit for example, but they just don't really make use of the better item enhancements for the most part.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Yes, this was great. I really don't understand the crafting fad either

Minecraft and survival games my friend

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

This was the way it was in DAI too, but you still had to pick plants and sell scrap.

And there was even a quartermaster in Skyhold who was supposedly there specifically to keep the whole Inquisition supplied. But the only time you could leverage this mass organization behind you was sending out the war table peeps on their timed missions and hope they came back with the rare stuff mentioned in the location description. Would have much rather just spent the money requisitioning specific things through the quartermaster.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Does anyone else feel that the advertising and overall hype for this game seems unusually low considering how soon its coming out? I mean I thought ME:3 was an abortion and am waiting on this with a tenuous glare but still it feels weird.

There have been a bunch of trailers and articles so no. Pretty normal level of hype for a big upcoming game.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It does feel weird but at the same time if they release a 45 minute gameplay stream and a good trailer in February/ early March I don't think any of this drama over the marketing will matter at all.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Slight exaggeration incoming:

The big problem I have with crafting is that developers are obsessed with the ~~immersion~~ of it and insist that you can only get THIS here or make THAT there. So I kill a Big Bad and get my dragon scales and poo poo and then the game insists that I have to travel to a specific place to make it, which is probably a 5 seconds process because even game devs don't insist on the weeks and months it would actually take, before I can go back to actually using it. DAI happened to make this worse by not even allowing you to just fast travel to an area that was a behind another loving loading screen anyways. Even something as simple as ME3's weapon modding is bolted to a specific location.

Just allow me to open a menu and make whatever I want whenever I want. No one cares about the fact that my character isn't lugging around a forge, smelter, anvil, molds, gunsmith, armorsmith, refinery, or whatever else your fantasy/sci-fi world uses. If I have an excess of fantasy-money allow me to buy any of the materials I can get from basic actions from the same menu. Stick whatever lines you wanted to give your blacksmith character onto someone else.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

tayvaan posted:

It does feel weird but at the same time if they release a 45 minute gameplay stream and a good trailer in February/ early March I don't think any of this drama over the marketing will matter at all.

this is correct, literally as soon as this happens everyone will forget the leadup

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Monolith. posted:

I'd rather craft then grind for RNG loot boxes.

Let me tell you about DAI multiplayer friend....

You grind gold in game for RNG loot boxes which contain many items. You then break down those items because 99% of them are useless, to components which you use to craft new classes in Multiplayer. It's the worst of all options!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

marktheando posted:

Crafting was good in DAI. I hate it in RPGs when the coolest looking armour has poo poo stats, it was cool to be able to make pretty much any style viable. And changing the colour was good too.

yeah it was cool to make any style of the same 3 trench coat

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

AngryBooch posted:

You grind gold in game for RNG loot boxes which contain many items. You then break down those items because 99% of them are useless, to components which you use to craft new classes in Multiplayer. It's the worst of all options!

I still can't believe how lovely DA:I's multiplayer was compared to ME3's.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

AngryBooch posted:

Holy poo poo

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Also, it wasn't very fun to play

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I did like the idea in DAI of moving THROUGH a level rather than just holding one position on a small map but yeah the rest of it, not great

MEA should have a combination of the two imo

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Crafting should be a thing for aesthetics or very specific gear IMO. If you want everyone wearing hot pink or to have massive cold resistance before the ice planet that works fine, when crafted gear is de facto the most powerful that's a chore and it takes away the fun of finding loot.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If crafting is in MEA it will be worse than DA2.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Waltzing Along posted:

If crafting is in MEA it will be worse than DA2.

Now now, let's not be hasty.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

I did like the idea in DAI of moving THROUGH a level rather than just holding one position on a small map but yeah the rest of it, not great

MEA should have a combination of the two imo

Yeah, in theory. But in DAI multi, typically the party would cruise through the first couple maps and get completely stomped in the very last area which was essentially a horde mode position hold. The difficulty spike was utterly ridiculous on those last waves in DAI. Like Wave 10 in ME3 was usually the hardest wave by a large margin, usually like twice as difficult as Wave 9, but in DAI it was like 400% harder than the rest of the session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah the final bosses in dai were a little too hard to be fun with a random group of idiots

Also the rubber banding if you had even a little lag was just abominable