Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Guy Goodbody posted:

Sounds like someone used to say turrent.

Nah but I've had a lot of friends over the years who did stuff like this and wanted to gently remind the thread not everyone has access to the same education you may have recieved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
I got to the point with this fire prism where I want to put it down and not work on it for a while. I know I need to figure out a better way to do the soul stones. Was hoping soulstone blue technical paint would make it easy... just rolled of the raised areas and pooled around them... making me spend a bunch of time covering up dark blue with yellow :cry: I still think it looks pretty good though.

After I paint my Wave Serpents I will likely put some decals on it and try touching up everything again.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I got to the point with this fire prism where I want to put it down and not work on it for a while. I know I need to figure out a better way to do the soul stones. Was hoping soulstone blue technical paint would make it easy... just rolled of the raised areas and pooled around them... making me spend a bunch of time covering up dark blue with yellow :cry: I still think it looks pretty good though.

After I paint my Wave Serpents I will likely put some decals on it and try touching up everything again.

:aaaaa:

Man I'm a sucker for a good Eldar blend/fade paintjob and you really nailed a good one there.

That is hot hot HOT!

susan
Jan 14, 2013

mango sentinel posted:

If you need a random fleet of Space Marines showing up to kick rear end, save the day, and faff off, then you're looking for the Carcharodons. That's basically the entirety of what they do in the fluff. Legion of the Damned have a similar schtick but tend to explicitly help defend Imperial forces, where as the Carcharodons are pretty regularly cruising for fights with CSM.

*looks up Carcharodons on 40k Wikia, leans back* Yeah, think you got it in one :P . Thank you, these guys are perfect!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Very nice. Looks great!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

JesusIsTehCool posted:

That's oldhammer as gently caress. I approve.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Question:

I tried to run Macragge Blue through my airbrush, thinned with Tamiya Acrylic Thinner. However, the color seems really light and definitely not close to the color of it being brushed on. This was applied over black primer, same as another mini I brushed on. I applied two or three light coats.

Did I overthin the paint? Does it need more coats?

Brushed on left (with a poorly applied wash) - Airbrushed on right.

unpurposed fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jan 17, 2017

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Now I want a tequila sunrise, thanks.

(Looks awesome!)

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

unpurposed posted:

Question:

I tried to run Macragge Blue through my airbrush, thinned with Tamiya Acrylic Thinner. However, the color seems really light and definitely not close to the color of it being brushed on. This was applied over black primer, same as another mini I brushed on. I applied two or three light coats.

Yeah the right is definitely to light although I don't know if this has anything with the thinness since I don't see any primer(if you used any) showing through. It might also just be the lighting since you used flash. Maybe give it another coat and see how it goes. I don't use airbrush but I spray can a lot with Maccrage Blue and I've had models look like that because I didn't get close enough.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

mango sentinel posted:

Nah but I've had a lot of friends over the years who did stuff like this and wanted to gently remind the thread not everyone has access to the same education you may have recieved.

Fair enough, but I've always taken the attitude that I'd rather someone pointed it out to me if I do it. If what I posted came across as mean spirited then I apologise to SRM, as far as I was concerned it was a bit of gentle ribbing because it coincided with a silly derail about pronouncing unit names.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

unpurposed posted:

Question:

That looks like its been overthinned or has had a weird reaction. Try thinning with distilled water or vallejo thinner. Was it normal citadel or the citadel air stuff?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
What does it say on the Tamiya bottle? X-20A?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I am the harbringer of turrents.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Can anyone recommend any good cases (UK) that use magnets rather than foam?

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It is a disturbingly common way of saying and spelling "turret."

Hate that. Ran into another, too: Apparently "whinge" isn't just a misspelling of "whine." Found that out with help from some Brits--priorly I had only seen it as a typo on student papers, along with their having confused were/we're/where, and once pronounced while a dude on a podcast was reading out of his own book.

Lord Twisted posted:

Can anyone recommend any good cases (UK) that use magnets rather than foam?

A multi-level metal toolbox works great for this if you magnetize your bases.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Good shout actually. I would just magnetise the bases as I don't travel internationally with my hams. I just want to have something easy for my infantry heavy forces.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
http://wappellious.blogspot.com/2017/01/making-solid-case.html?m=1

That's good for storage and transporting smaller scale games, might have to get some straps if you're carrying a bunch.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sex Cannon posted:

I heard it when he said it but I didn't correct him because I don't have a lot of friends, ok?

I'm pretty sure I use it interchangeably when I say it out loud; that being said, "git" isn't part of my non-ham vocabulary.

The Sex Cannon posted:

I really appreciate it officer. I swear we won't do it again.

Is "turrent" an idiot's way of saying "turret" or "torrent"?

There was a video years ago where Dan Abnett taught people how to pronounce various words in the 40k vocabulary, I wish I could find it. That being said, if you really wanna start the conversation, ask people how they pronounce lasgun :v:

JesusIsTehCool posted:

This is so loving rad. I genuinely don't know if I want to see it matte varnished or kept just as glossy.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

http://wappellious.blogspot.com/2017/01/making-solid-case.html?m=1

That's good for storage and transporting smaller scale games, might have to get some straps if you're carrying a bunch.

Thanks mate this looks interesting as well. Sheet metal and tin snips seems a bit of a pain in the arse but Im sure I can get it to work. I wouldn't use fridge magnets though bloody hell. I'd probably just use small neodymium stuck to the underside of the bases. Ideally I'd want to be able to turn it on its side (backpack) without sliding or breakage.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

LordAba posted:

I am the harbringer of turrents.

You monster

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
laze gun sounds better than lahz gun

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Pricing and release date of Gangs of Commorragh

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Lord Twisted posted:

Thanks mate this looks interesting as well. Sheet metal and tin snips seems a bit of a pain in the arse but Im sure I can get it to work. I wouldn't use fridge magnets though bloody hell. I'd probably just use small neodymium stuck to the underside of the bases. Ideally I'd want to be able to turn it on its side (backpack) without sliding or breakage.

I use that method for my Orks with neodymium magnets.

They'll still slide a little. If you keep it metal side down it's barely any sliding, it can even take a fair bit of jostling around. But I would not recommend tipping it sideways. They will slide down, then fall off due to jostling and bumping. Even plastic minis have enough weight that they'll effectively pry the magnet off the metal when bumped about on its side.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SRM posted:

There was a video years ago where Dan Abnett taught people how to pronounce various words in the 40k vocabulary, I wish I could find it. That being said, if you really wanna start the conversation, ask people how they pronounce lasgun :v:
Lahz-gun sounds better.

Of course, this is coming from a guy who, as a kid, would order the chimichanga as the "chichimanga" because I thought it was a Chi-Chi's exclusive item.

The moral is that I love chimichangas.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

SRM posted:

This is so loving rad. I genuinely don't know if I want to see it matte varnished or kept just as glossy.

Thanks everyone. I will likely keep it glossy. This is part of my Harlequins Eldar and Dark Eddar army I am building. All the Eldar will be this bright red orange yellow, the dark Eldar will be light blue to purple gradient, and the Harlequins will be diamonds checkers of the two. The theme is the Harlequins were able to bring the Eldar and Dark Eldar togther and lead them to help them fight Chaos.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

That's less than half the cost of buying those models separately.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Floppychop posted:

I use that method for my Orks with neodymium magnets.

They'll still slide a little. If you keep it metal side down it's barely any sliding, it can even take a fair bit of jostling around. But I would not recommend tipping it sideways. They will slide down, then fall off due to jostling and bumping. Even plastic minis have enough weight that they'll effectively pry the magnet off the metal when bumped about on its side.

Looks like I might well stick to KR then. I'll do some homework - thanks!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's less than half the cost of buying those models separately.

Still a good $10 more than I'd like to pay.

Frontline here I come :haw:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Still a good $10 more than I'd like to pay.

Frontline here I come :haw:

Or you could support your LGS if you have one. Having a place to play is always nice.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

TTerrible posted:

That looks like its been overthinned or has had a weird reaction. Try thinning with distilled water or vallejo thinner. Was it normal citadel or the citadel air stuff?

It was normal citadel stuff. I did prime with Vallejo black primer.

The thinner I used was the X-20-A thinner from Tamiya.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
So my local game store is selling the GW crusade figure case that the ex store manger stole from the store. They are selling it for $70, has anyone used one of these, it seems decent but I have never given them a serious look cause they are normally so expensive.

Also totally down to spend $60 on Gangs of Commorragh, my now all I need for my Dark Eldar part of my new army is a Ravager.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Floppychop posted:

Or you could support your LGS if you have one. Having a place to play is always nice.

Oh don't worry they've recieved hundreds of my dollars since starting the hobby like four months ago. Though I realized $7 shipping is gonna be eating into that 25% discount.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

laze gun sounds better than lahz gun

fight me

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I hope the gangs of commorragh models come with all their options because I want both of those units and that's an amazing saving.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I hope the gangs of commorragh models come with all their options because I want both of those units and that's an amazing saving.

To my knowledge they've never released any of these kinds of sets with limited options. It's one thing when they're bespoke sculpts like you get in Dark Vengeance, but nobody is gonna be hand-clipping all those options off the sprues so those filthy customers will have to buy extra kits.

JesusIsTehCool posted:

So my local game store is selling the GW crusade figure case that the ex store manger stole from the store. They are selling it for $70, has anyone used one of these, it seems decent but I have never given them a serious look cause they are normally so expensive.

Also totally down to spend $60 on Gangs of Commorragh, my now all I need for my Dark Eldar part of my new army is a Ravager.

GW cases are super durable but I've never found any of the new ones in the wild. This amateurish video they put out a few years ago with a bunch of unnecessary explosion sound effects makes it seem like it can hold a lot though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXgYfQUHKKA

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I can vouch for the Crusade case. I can cram at least two armies into it, tanks and monsters included.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

SRM posted:

To my knowledge they've never released any of these kinds of sets with limited options. It's one thing when they're bespoke sculpts like you get in Dark Vengeance, but nobody is gonna be hand-clipping all those options off the sprues so those filthy customers will have to buy extra kits.

It's also highly unlikely they made a different injection mold with less options just for putting out this game kit. Those things are expensive.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
How many of the helmeted heads come with a Reaver kit?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

mango sentinel posted:

How many of the helmeted heads come with a Reaver kit?

Looking at the sprue pics on GW's site, I can see 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Soulfucker posted:

lol at people taking Games "We won't squat Brettonians" Workshop at their word when they say they're not pulling an End Times on 40k. At this point I'm watching the new releases unfold like a slow motion trainwreck, always reminding myself that hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Reminder that I was told, to my face, by the person they hired to market AOS, that they would never be getting rid of any army.

I don't trust anything they say about the 40k reboot.

• Locked thread