Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

pixaal posted:

I didn't expect adoption but people got angry that it was even an option. People already get angry if they can't get a new share a drive letter because 3 other shares already have that drive letter and X is open you can have the X drive. Then people get angry that they have so many drive letters, but they also need them since people tell them go to the X:\ drive and not Go to the Flood DR Folder which is in the continuity plan folder. I mean I can just make the DFS shares any name they want I can call it X Flood DR but most people want the folder name to be the first letter of the folder.

And Windows will remember share names and can display them in the same screen as drives.

pixaal posted:

Windows 10? Didn't they just add bash?

Windows subsystem for Linux has been a thing for a little while, yeah. It works pretty well to, tho you do need to do some tweaking to get X support, and I have problems with one or 2 programs I want(I can make terminator work, but not Konsole, for instance).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

Windows subsystem for Linux has been a thing for a little while, yeah. It works pretty well to, tho you do need to do some tweaking to get X support, and I have problems with one or 2 programs I want(I can make terminator work, but not Konsole, for instance).

Sorry for tangent, but I remember reading somewhere that they added support for accessing Windows applications through that shell as well (ie, "notepad &" would actually fire up a notepad window). Now I can't find any information on that. Was I just imagining that?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MisterZimbu posted:

Sorry for tangent, but I remember reading somewhere that they added support for accessing Windows applications through that shell as well (ie, "notepad &" would actually fire up a notepad window). Now I can't find any information on that. Was I just imagining that?

I don't know if it was announced, but I just tried and it didn't work. I always heard you wouldn't be able to do that since WSL is almost pure linux, and win32 apps don't work with it at all.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RFC2324 posted:

I don't know if it was announced, but I just tried and it didn't work. I always heard you wouldn't be able to do that since WSL is almost pure linux, and win32 apps don't work with it at all.
Not only this, but Bash on Windows doesn't include /mnt/c/Windows/System32/ in its path variable.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

anthonypants posted:

Not only this, but Bash on Windows doesn't include /mnt/c/Windows/System32/ in its path variable.

code:
/mnt/c/Windows/System32$ ./notepad.exe
bash: ./notepad.exe: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
It dunna work, captain!

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Can you install Wine in that?
:can:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RFC2324 posted:

code:
/mnt/c/Windows/System32$ ./notepad.exe
bash: ./notepad.exe: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
It dunna work, captain!
code:
user@COMPUTER:~$ file /mnt/c/Windows/System32/notepad.exe
/mnt/c/Windows/System32/notepad.exe: PE32+ executable (GUI) x86-64, for MS Windows
user@COMPUTER:~$ uname -a
Linux COMPUTER 3.4.0+ #1 PREEMPT Thu Aug 1 17:06:05 CST 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
:iiam:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Varkk posted:

So we have moved from VMs inside VMs to Nested API hooks?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

pixaal posted:

Fact is we're running out of letters, and some are overloaded already.

Obviously, Alphabetv4 isn't good enough, and we all need to take one big collective jump right into Alphabetv6 :colbert:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Linux for Windows has of course competition: Cygwin, which I install whenever I find myself stuck on a Windows box. You can run win32 just fine from the Cygwin bash.

Varkk posted:

I started this page many years ago.

tl;dr Wine on Cygwin can't be said to work, but it's worth it for the sheer horror when you describe the idea to anyone. It doesn't seem to have been updated for WSL, but you know you want to just try it once what have you got to lose muwaaaaahahahaha

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I like the summary at the end

That is disgusting

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It actually happened for real.
I literally had someone come in today and ask if I could "enchance" a frame from a security camera to make a blurry image of a person clearer.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Entropic posted:

I literally had someone come in today and ask if I could "enchance" a frame from a security camera to make a blurry image of a person clearer.

Zoom in as much as possible and then copy-paste a mario sprite onto the head of the person.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Entropic posted:

See if this spits anything out for you.

https://github.com/alexjc/neural-enhance

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Entropic posted:

This is a golden dickbutt opportunity.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

porktree posted:

This is a golden dickbutt opportunity.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

:pwn:

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

So we have moved from VMs inside VMs to Nested API hooks?

I want a VM running in a win32 hypervisor running inside wine in WSL. Possibly even that running on a VM.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Varkk posted:

I want a VM running in a win32 hypervisor running inside wine in WSL. Possibly even that running on a VM.

All running on an arm machine emulating powerPC emulating x86

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

:aaaaa:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Methanar posted:

All running on an arm machine emulating powerPC emulating x86

I went to an IBM demo once where Michael Perzl (some of you probably know who he is) ran a Windows XP Desktop inside a qemu session on a RHEL 7 LPAR running on an E870 (a POWER8 RISC box that runs about $600k).

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Tigren posted:

See if this spits anything out for you.

That's pretty neat, curious how well it works for deblurring.

Testing it now, the docker image makes it pretty easy.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
:downs:: I lost my keyboard.
:v:: What do you mean? The wired keyboard that sits on your desk?
:downs:: Yeah, I moved it to clean underneath and now I can't figure out where I put it. I need a new one right now.

The kicker: I'm not even in desktop support anymore, so I don't have keyboards to give.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Someone mentioned printers a few pages ago and said that Zebra makes beasts that never die. We still have this one on the shop floor.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GreenNight posted:

Someone mentioned printers a few pages ago and said that Zebra makes beasts that never die. We still have this one on the shop floor.

I can't help but think that thing has killed or maimed a few interns in its time.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

GreenNight posted:

A new industrial printer looks pretty close to that still, just can run faster and at higher DPI! Running something at 14 inches/s is crazy especially with the rewinder you can eat an entire roll of labels in minutes. We have an 110Xi4 that replaced our old $30,000 label printer from the early 90s that would only get 3ips, and had 150dpi, oh it also required manual calibration and would jam every few feet so printing a roll of labels took someone about 2-3 days of sitting there yelling at the machine. It also had a button that was required for calibration break fall and get lost, I was able to get it running by cutting a chunk of metal and taping it to the area so when you pushed on the tape it made contact and worked like the button. This temporary fix was in place for 6 months and added another day to printing a roll of labels.

If you are wondering a 110Xi4 should only run you under $2000, printers are not what they cost in the 90s. If that old Zebra is giving an issues call it a day.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

A new 105sl plus is $1700 or so, so it's not a big deal. We pay like $8/mo per printer and a tech comes if we have any issues. So we'll run with that piece of crap until the tech can no longer fix it.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We have a ton of S4Ms and ZT230s, even a few Stripe 600s kicking around. The zebra drivers may be poo poo (for the love of god use the seagull scientific ones) but the hardware is drat solid.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Right, we migrated off of Labelview to BarTender years ago and have never looked back. The drivers are solid and we've had nearly no software issues.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
A ticket came in...

quote:

When I log in I have Windows XP.
Here is a screen shot of the Task Bar.

This was hard to teach Windows last week when all my students have 7 and I have XP.

Can you please my id to Windows 7?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

BarTender is the least bad thing about printers

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Also it's licensing is very not lovely. Install as many copies of the software as you want, you're only licensed per printer.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Hungry Computer posted:

A ticket came in...

Ughhh, stop assuming things!

Just say the problem. "My poo poo looks funny, here look!" loving X Y problem poo poo

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.

Hungry Computer posted:

A ticket came in...

"This was hard to teach Windows last week when all my students have 7 and I have XP."

This person is attempting to teach other people about Windows? :psyduck:

I imagine it's pretty hard to teach Windows when you don't know jack poo poo about it. :cripes:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

If you can't do, teach.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

GreenNight posted:

If you can't do, teach.

If you can't do *or* teach, there's a C-level corner office calling for you...

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Pearnicious posted:

This person is attempting to teach other people about Windows? :psyduck:

I imagine it's pretty hard to teach Windows when you don't know jack poo poo about it. :cripes:

They're teaching accounting software and MS Office in Windows, not teaching people about Windows itself. I'm just confused as to how it made things difficult for them, considering everything is in exactly the same place when using the classic theme, and neither Office 2013 or the accounting software uses the system theme for their windows.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

GreenNight posted:

Right, we migrated off of Labelview to BarTender years ago and have never looked back. The drivers are solid and we've had nearly no software issues.

Only issue I ever have is if a user sends a massive print job to the printer you can't get it to stop printing canceling the job does nothing. Powering off the printer causes it to pick right back up. Rebooting the computer same thing. I have a fix but you need admin.

Stop the print spool service
Open %windir%\System32\spool\PRINTERS delete everything in the spool
Start print spool service

I only the printers on a 1:1 basis so no networking, I imagine shoving this on a print server would cause all kinds of headaches. This problem is very rare and only whoops accidentally told it to print all so it's going to print a label for all 200,000 items in the CRM software.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.

Hungry Computer posted:

They're teaching accounting software and MS Office in Windows, not teaching people about Windows itself. I'm just confused as to how it made things difficult for them, considering everything is in exactly the same place when using the classic theme, and neither Office 2013 or the accounting software uses the system theme for their windows.

I'm hoping English isn't this person's first language, because the grammar in that ticket is awful. It literally says "was hard to teach Windows" as if they were teaching a class on Windows. And then "Can you please my id to Windows 7?" That sentence sounds like it lives down the street from "kindly do the needful". Yuck.

I shouldn't be surprised though. I'm currently getting dumb tickets in my queue that basically amount to "I can't be bothered to read a message." There was a centralized web app for these users to log their training and classroom hours for certifications and whatnot, but it has recently been decentralized and is now being logged locally for their individual offices. The old web app has been disabled and has a big bolded message on the page notifying users. But still several tickets a day come in that say "I can't log my hours" and all we do is just copy/paste that message, reply, and close the ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Entropic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiqkclCJsZs

• Locked thread