Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
For those still having problems with the U, a little elaboration on its mechanics;

The final enemy spams 100% chance counters of that paralysis move past half life.

Summons ignore all counters.

Alphinaud Burst is Sum-classed and will punch through this bullshit and hits weakness on the first two bosses.

Take Aerial Burst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

CaptainPsyko posted:

FYI, for those working on the Torment dungeon: I've just set up Tidus as my RW with his BSB at 9qBd. Somewhere around 700 attack with +40% water damage with synergy. (I could also put up the OSB instead if people would prefer that? I suspect BSB pulls ahead if you can put some basically competent attackers in to spam command 1 with enwater for a few rounds.)

The BSB is good for sustained DPS, but the OSB may be the better choice for helping burn through the last 10~15% of its HP quickly when you're getting wrecked by the weak phase and barely hanging on.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Subvisual Haze posted:

Zidane is best taken slow. Have someone with draw fire or knights cross to keep the debuffs off everyone else. Haste to cancel his slow, dispel to cancel his buffs, protectga, power breakdown and full break neuter him even without a wall. Even better, you'll enter the bad half of the fight with limit breaks ready to go because you've been inching his health along.

I ended up using the arc instant heal + physical blink as my rw for "oh poo poo" coverage at the end, and it worked fabulously. I think one mage ended up doing 75% of my damage in the end, so focusing on managing zidanes bullshit and mostly ignoring damage output worked wonders.

Yeah, there are two options for Zidane. Either take it slowly and cautiously as you describe, or bring Affliction Break, Slow resistance (there isn't much of it yet), and a Draw Fire punching bag and try to obliterate him before he can Slow your primary DPS. He's made of wet tissue paper so there's not much middle ground.

And yes, Zidane is easily one of the most annoying/frustrating bosses in the history of the game.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Congrats to Alphinaud for doing approximately 500k of the 250's massive HP pool in my wacky ultra-defensive strat for mastery. :toot:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zurai posted:

Yeah, there are two options for Zidane. Either take it slowly and cautiously as you describe, or bring Affliction Break, Slow resistance (there isn't much of it yet), and a Draw Fire punching bag and try to obliterate him before he can Slow your primary DPS. He's made of wet tissue paper so there's not much middle ground.

And yes, Zidane is easily one of the most annoying/frustrating bosses in the history of the game.

Draw Fire is borderline worthless for Zidane because it doesn't work on steal/mug and his other non-AOE attacks are negligible, assuming he uses them instead of mug/steal or a gently caress you AOE in the first place.

e: Love wiping with the fight almost won because this game has garbage UI.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 18, 2017

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Draw Fire is borderline worthless for Zidane because it doesn't work on steal/mug and his other non-AOE attacks are negligible, assuming he uses them instead of mug/steal or a gently caress you AOE in the first place.

The point of Draw Fire is that nobody else in the party - most notably, your healer - will ever get stunned while it's up.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

kalensc posted:

I'm assuming you did this but just forgot to write it, but for anyone unfamiliar with CR BSB Command 2 has a Mag+ Res- buff.

Nah, my numbers were from just going directly into spamming command 1, without using command 2. The comment I was responding to was answering the question of "should I use command 2, then spam command 1, or what" and the poster replied "just use command 1 because you'll do 9999x4", which doesn't seem right. I had a level 79 Kuja with his glove and his SSB rod, open with Endark (but not using Memento Mori), and he wasn't hitting 9999x4 on Steiner; just about 8500, like I said. So maybe Memento Mori is more helpful than Endark somehow, or CaptainPsyko and Zurai DID use command 2 before spamming command 1, or something.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

SageAcrin posted:

For those still having problems with the U, a little elaboration on its mechanics;

The final enemy spams 100% chance counters of that paralysis move past half life.

Summons ignore all counters.

Alphinaud Burst is Sum-classed and will punch through this bullshit and hits weakness on the first two bosses.

Take Aerial Burst.

I took the RW for a ride but with my Most Valuable Skill being Garnet's Native Burst, which I brought because its 1st Command is a preview of Ultra Cure but ended up letting her being the heaviest hitter on that stupid weak phase, I only used it to let her shoot down Abbadon in two Turns. (8k Entry + 40k Command 1 spam + 30k support from Spellblade & Ninja Magic)

If the rest of the party on that fight were as good as her at non-Ninja Magic, though...

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah no. His threefour-hit auto-stun-even-through-Affliction-Break attack is Drawable.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 18, 2017

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Yeah, I let up on Gaia Cross for a few seconds and BAM 4 of my 5 people were stunned. I did not make that mistake twice

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Heck, let's examine Zidane's AI:

TFMurphy on reddit, bold mine posted:

Normal Pattern:
Forced: Steal (NAT: Auto-hit Slow, Adds ATK+DEF Buff [-40% rate, 15s duration] to affected target) [Used on Local Turns 1, 2 and 3]
25% Booster 8 (PHY: 160% Phys Dmg, 48% chance of Confuse)
35% Scoop Art (PHY: 2 hits - 150% Phys Dmg, all hits focus on one target)
20% Rumble Rush (PHY: 4 hits/AutoHit - 120% Phys Dmg, 303% chance of Interrupt)
20% Steal (NAT: Auto-hit Slow, Adds ATK+DEF Buff [-40% rate, 15s duration] to affected target) [Refusal based on Status]

Weak Pattern:
Forced: Shift Break (NAT: AoE/LR - 240% Lightning Phys Dmg, 30% chance each of Slow/Sap) [Used on Local Turn 1 and then every 3rd turn after]
15% Booster 8 (PHY: 160% Phys Dmg, 48% chance of Confuse)
25% Scoop Art (PHY: 2 hits - 150% Phys Dmg, all hits focus on one target)
25% Rumble Rush (PHY: 4 hits/AutoHit - 120% Phys Dmg, 303% chance of Interrupt)
35% Mug (NAT: 250% Phys Dmg, Auto-hit Slow/ATK+DEF Buff [-40% rate, 15s duration])

Very Weak Pattern:
Forced: Stellar Circle 5 (NAT: AoE/LR - 280% Wind Phys Dmg) [Used on Local Turn 1 and then every 3rd turn after]
30% Rumble Rush (PHY: 4 hits/AutoHit - 120% Phys Dmg, 303% chance of Interrupt)
35% Shift Break (NAT: AoE/LR - 240% Lightning Phys Dmg, 30% chance each of Slow/Sap)
35% Mug (NAT: 250% Phys Dmg, Auto-hit Slow/ATK+DEF Buff [-40% rate, 15s duration])

So in Default phase, 80% of his random attacks are susceptible to Draw Fire, including both his Stun and his Confuse. In Weak phase, 65% of his random attacks are susceptible. In Very Weak, still 30% of his attacks can be Drawn, and it's arguably the most dangerous 30%.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Still no dang Quistis items. The game really does want me to use Beatrix.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

I needed FF8 synergy so bad and have had piss poor luck on draws lately. This was nice :unsmith:

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
3/11

Irvine's Exeter, Mustadio's Romandian Pistol, Garnet's Royal Gown

More synergy, I guess. Overall my synergy is pretty bad still.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

OSBs are listed as options to drop off the lucky banner fyi, including Zidane's.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Got Twin Lance(Squall BSB), Sphariai(Yda SSB), and Mace of Zeus(Vivi SSB). Kind of blah, but they're non-dupes at least.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Just pulled on the Lucky Draw!

Zidane's OSB and Selphie's BSB.

Well, uhm, this is my third OSB. I'm not too sure what to think about that.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
:(

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Freya BSB and Laguna's Imperil Ice SSB :toot:. First BSB for IX and first Ice SB.

My RW has almost always been dual breaks for stacking, so Freya's BSB will be a nice addition. I got ATK/DEF (Freya), ATK/MAG (Fang, Wol, Fran, Agrias), ATK/RES (Leila) and MAG/RES (Palom).

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Squall's Cutting Trigger and Ovelia's Healing Staff. I feel kind of gypped right now.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Welp. I had her Holy Shield so I guess Minfillia Waifu Complete now. Also I didn't have a relic for Amarant so that's nice, even if he's not the best character ever. I'm happy with this.

EDIT: Oh hell yeah and it's my first +Holy sword, finally!

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 18, 2017

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003
Lucky draw is lucky.

I now have enough fire bursts and fire perils that I can make a themed team (I also have Locke's and Krile's fire bursts, plus a L99 Terra with fire beam and blood of espers.

And another MinFin break. She may supplant Cecil in some groups.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

acumen posted:

I needed FF8 synergy so bad and have had piss poor luck on draws lately. This was nice :unsmith:

Cosmic Afro posted:

Just pulled on the Lucky Draw!

Zidane's OSB and Selphie's BSB.

Well, uhm, this is my third OSB. I'm not too sure what to think about that.

I AM SO GOD drat JEALOUS

My lucky pull was 1/11, Laguna's first SSB. Now I have all three of Laguna's SSBs.

I guess you could call me the man with the machine gun.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

2/11, a dupe omnirod and Kuja's punisher staff. I now have Kuja's gloves and staff but am still not super inclined to use her (him?).

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Combo posted:

2/11, a dupe omnirod and Kuja's punisher staff. I now have Kuja's gloves and staff but am still not super inclined to use her (him?).

he's a he

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

2/11, Squall's BSB and Steiner's Sword Art Climhazzard.

If there were two realms I didn't need more swords in, that would be them.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Zell's SSB and Vivi's SSB :confuoot:

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I got Deployment Tactics off of the lucky pull, and then pulled in FF9-2. I already got Tin Armor on a dollar pull, so Steiner BSB would be a nice catch.
Guess what I got two dupes of instead?
:argh:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Dupe Almasy Revolver/11 :negative:

Anyway, despite the description it looks like OSBs are, in fact, included in the Lucky Draw :shrug:

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

Locke appreciates the Fire BSBs. That loud thump you heard was Refia shoving Yda out of the way to get her hands on these.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

2/11 Rising Sun and Healer's Circlet.

Was kinda bummed about the Rising Sun but now I've got Y'Shtola's BSB and Wall, which means I don't have to choose between her and a healer and can actually bring a native wall along for more fights. Yay! Though of course my other healer is Vanille with her BSB and now I don't know which one is better...

Actually now that I think about it I doubt Y'Shtola would ever have time to be on both Wall and healing duty :negative: Maybe if I just bring Curaja and Wrath and let other people haul around proshellgas, which is the nice thing about having a bunch of insane knight relics on people with access to White 4.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 18, 2017

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Well my global mage team just went from ridiculous to just about unbeatable. 3/11 Royal Dress (nice to have but I'm spoiled for choices on Garnet), Cardinal #3, and Lilith Rod (XIV). Welcome to the A Team, Papalymo. Line up beside Cid Raines and Onion Knight for the party magic buffs and prepare to unleash fiery doom on my enemies.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
A memory crystal... for the WARRIOR?????? :aaaaa:

Anyway, got a pretty nice lucky draw with 4 rainbows. 2 repeat weapons, the IX Enhancer, and the Tin Armor, so it's Steiner's day today.

Social Psychology
Mar 25, 2015

The Machine Gun and Wizard Rod are dupes, but the BSBs are new. Anyone happen to have Thancred's BSB? It flew under my radar since the first FFXIV banner was so much more hyped, but it sounds like it might work on a mage team since the commands are all Ninja damage.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Hey, not too shabby. Got a Red Scorpion for Quistis, a Bismarck for Irvine, and my first disco ball, Punishment, for Squall. While I don't really care about VIII, nice to get some synergy and an OSB for 25 mithril.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Would you guys say that eikos ssb is an upgrade to penelos ssb as a medica? Also is rinoas bsb good

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

3/11 Sirius (VIII), Zidane's Vest, Lightbring (IX) :toot:

Finally I have a knight worth a drat to do holy damage with!

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Lucky Draw was pretty much a complete and utter bust; 1/11, with the 1 being Steiner SSB1. Already have an augumented 5* holy sword (PCecil's Excalibur), the SSB does nothing but damage, I already had a better SSB for Steiner anyways, it's in one of my stronger realms to begin with (9 for me is much better off than 8 or Tactics [which is really just Shout + Tailwind at this point] at any rate, and melee-wise much better than 14), it's on a character I will never use outside of CMs given my much better options (and considering how strong my mage options are, probably not even that), and to rub it all in the SSB is DEF-based and thus insanely hard to get decent damage out of.

Literally the only bright spot is the sword is pretty good in terms of stats (128 ATK and +Holy), but even that's kind of soured by the fact we literally just finished a 9 event and won't get another one for a few months. Oh well.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Now I have Shout. Mythril well spent!

Also a whip less useful for Quistis and more for being an 8-synergy weapon Krile can use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I seem to remember Zell's BSB being good. Somebody wanna give me a refresher?

::lol: at Cutting Trigger getting top-billing, though.

• Locked thread